What is the most difficult job in all of sports?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Eel Snave

What is the most difficult job in all of sports?

Post by Eel Snave »

I vote catcher.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If you mean difficult in terms of physical work, I'll agree that a catcher is up there. So are Gaelic football players, rugby players, and offensive linemen. Catchers might get the edge becasue they also have to call the game and kind of direct the infield.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I mean difficult in general. Mentally, physically.
Downwards Compatible
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Football centers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd say having to watch and pay attention to a baseball game, but that's me.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

NFL Quarterback. Given the speed of the game, the number of reads the QB has to make, and the decisions the QB has to make about how to respond to pressure, with the threat of being physically hurt if you make the wrong decisions about that pressure, make for one tough job.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

LordMortis wrote:I'd say having to watch and pay attention to a baseball game, but that's me.
Werd.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Ricky Williams' agent.
Black Lives Matter
docvego

Post by docvego »

Locker Room Janitor
Debris

Post by Debris »

Public relations agent for Barry Bonds
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ice Hockey Goaltender.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
gellar

Post by gellar »

The Meal wrote:Ice Hockey Goaltender.
Werd. I still believe you have to be slightly insane to play this position.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Awesome question.

Answer: Lacrosse goalie.

I've played a lot of positions in a lot of sports and that is by far the most difficult (IMHO). You have a 6' x 6' net to defend and not much padding to speak of. The most difficult part about goaltending in lacrosse is the fact that the ball can come from any angle in the air or on the ground and bouncers are the worst. By comparison, hockey goalies and indoor lacrosse goalies have it easy with the smaller net and big bulky pads.

Also, the fact that a decent shot in lacrosse is routinely 100+ MPH doesn't help either.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That's a tough question. How does one compare the demands of the NFL quarterback with the demands of an NHL goalie? Well, this year I guess we know which is harder.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pick the hardest position within a sport - without having to compare to other sports?

I know catching is murder on the knees and all, but I have a hard time comparing that to what an NFL lineman goes through.

I liked the description that John Madden gave last Monday Night. He was talking about his conversation when he was asking Marshall Faulk about his health. Marshall answered that the last time he was 100% was right before his first game in the NFL. Madden followed up by saying that if you play one down in the NFL, your body will never be 100% again.

I just don't know how to compare that kind of violence to being a MLB catcher.

A goalie I can understand, after seeing Trent's ode to Terry Sawchuck.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:A goalie I can understand, after seeing Trent's ode to Terry Sawchuck.
Back in the day before facemasks, yeah ice-hockey goalies had it rough, but as I described above, today they've got nothing on lacrosse goalies.

And I've played both postitions.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trent Steel wrote:Back in the day before facemasks, yeah ice-hockey goalies had it rough, but as I described above, today they've got nothing on lacrosse goalies.

And I've played both postitions.
Hmm....I'm going to need to see you suit up for a game in the NFL along the trenches to make a valid comparison. :)
Make up bags of change
gellar

Post by gellar »

Yeah I forgot about Lacrosse. I change my vote to that.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hmm....I'm going to need to see you suit up for a game in the NFL along the trenches to make a valid comparison.
As far as the toughest sum-bitches go, I would give the nod to the offensive linemen of the NFL, but that is hardly the most difficult.
18-1™ & 2-0
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

gellar wrote:Yeah I forgot about Lacrosse. I change my vote to that.

gellar
I don't have enough experience with the sport to say one way or the other, but I'll defer to someone who's played 'em both.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trent Steel wrote:As far as the toughest sum-bitches go, I would give the nod to the offensive linemen of the NFL, but that is hardly the most difficult.

Ahh...I see you're point. Stopping 100+mph Lacrosse shots is more difficult than pass blocking or run blocking.

I was thinking more from the perspective of the one place I don't want to be because of the violence of the job (in sports). And I keep coming up with offensive lineman (or a defensive lineman that has to play against the Broncos).

But those jobs are just brutal - they don't require the kind of skill one needs to stand in front of the aforementioned 100+mph lacrosse shot.
Make up bags of change
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:I was thinking more from the perspective of the one place I don't want to be because of the violence of the job (in sports). And I keep coming up with offensive lineman (or a defensive lineman that has to play against the Broncos).

But those jobs are just brutal - they don't require the kind of skill one needs to stand in front of the aforementioned 100+mph lacrosse shot.
That's why rugby players who say they're the toughest in the world make me laugh. Even my brother who played football and rugby knows that football players are the toughest.
18-1™ & 2-0
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Towel manager.

"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
ArmyOfOne

Post by ArmyOfOne »

Neal is right. It's the Hockey Goalie. Alot of people ask me why the hell would I subject myself to having small chunks of vulcanized rubber being shot at me at 70+ mph. It's rather simple really. Chicks dig goalies.

It's not as bad as everyone thinks. I'd rather face slapshots all day than run around while some 220lb escaped mental patient chases me around the ice with a stick.

The mental game is the most difficult part of the job. There are different mind sets before, during, and after the game. Plus you always have to stay focused. Small mistakes usually end up on the scoreboard and that sucks.

Like one of my coaches used to say. "If you see a goalie make a remarkable save. It's because he was doing something wrong."
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Trent Steel wrote:Answer: Lacrosse goalie.

I've played a lot of positions in a lot of sports and that is by far the most difficult (IMHO). You have a 6' x 6' net to defend and not much padding to speak of. The most difficult part about goaltending in lacrosse is the fact that the ball can come from any angle in the air or on the ground and bouncers are the worst. By comparison, hockey goalies and indoor lacrosse goalies have it easy with the smaller net and big bulky pads.

Also, the fact that a decent shot in lacrosse is routinely 100+ MPH doesn't help either.
Pishtosh.

In jai alai the players fire rubber balls at each other at 180 mph. The goal is often to strike the other player, who must scoop up the ball and fire it back using a dangerous, razor-sharp wooden scoop attached to his wrist.

That's sport in the sense that jaguar wrestling is a sport.
Steron

Post by Steron »

Jock washer.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Sports safety equipment tester.
Black Lives Matter
Crux

Post by Crux »

Madden followed up by saying that if you play one down in the NFL, your body will never be 100% again.
That has to be one of the biggest pieces of hyperbole I've ever heard in my life.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

aussie77 wrote:
Madden followed up by saying that if you play one down in the NFL, your body will never be 100% again.
That has to be one of the biggest pieces of hyperbole I've ever heard in my life.
Perhaps he meant that the body will grow to 200%.

gellar

Post by gellar »

Tareeq wrote:Pishtosh.

In jai alai the players fire rubber balls at each other at 180 mph. The goal is often to strike the other player, who must scoop up the ball and fire it back using a dangerous, razor-sharp wooden scoop attached to his wrist.

Anyone ever see the Jackass episode where Johnny Knoxville had the jai alai players chuck oranges at him? That was both funny and scary at the same time.

gellar
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
CSL

Post by CSL »

Gonna have to go with Hockey Goalie as well.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

aussie77 wrote:That has to be one of the biggest pieces of hyperbole I've ever heard in my life.
Have you ever played a down in the NFL as a RB or lineman? Have you ever talked to an ex-NFL player about it?

I've never done the first, but I've done the second. They (he) offered similar sentiments. And by he I mean Jeff Nixon, a safety for the Bills back in the 80s. He lived in my development and we would harass him for autographs all the time. Cool guy, but gimpy knees ended his career early after only 4 years. So perhaps he's biased. :)

You just can't put your body through that kind of violence without doing harm to your joints (which are largely unprotected).
Make up bags of change
Crux

Post by Crux »

RunningMn9 wrote:You just can't put your body through that kind of violence without doing harm to your joints (which are largely unprotected).
That I agree with, but it is also true of other sports. However it is gross exaggeration to say playing a single down in the NFL irreparably damages your body such that it never recovers. A year or two, depending on your position and I will grant you might get injuries or damage to body parts that may never properly heal. But barring a freak incident, to say that happens in a single down is just plain old fashioned bullshit.
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Trent Steel wrote:The most difficult part about goaltending in lacrosse is the fact that the ball can come from any angle in the air or on the ground and bouncers are the worst.
You can do everything right setting up for the shot and the ball bounces just a little higher or a bit lower or perhaps it spits left on you. :?

and then the next shot cracks a rib - its the indignity of the whole affair.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Soccer Dad :?
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
DD

Post by DD »

The Meal wrote:Ice Hockey Goaltender.

~Neal
Yup. No doubt about it.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

gellar wrote:
Tareeq wrote:Pishtosh.

Anyone ever see the Jackass episode where Johnny Knoxville had the jai alai players chuck oranges at him? That was both funny and scary at the same time.

gellar
I was dissapointed nobody got seriously injured. :P
Downwards Compatible
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Javelin catcher on the track team.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Archery target.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

aussie77 wrote:But barring a freak incident, to say that happens in a single down is just plain old fashioned bullshit.
I don't think you appreciate what goes on in a single down of football. The kind of stress we are talking does NOT occur in baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. Admittedly, I've never collided at full speed with a 270-lb NFL linebacker, or had to tackle a 240-lb NFL running back with a full head of steam.

But you might be right, Championship Hopscotch might be a similar experience.
Make up bags of change
Crux

Post by Crux »

RunningMn9 wrote:
aussie77 wrote:But barring a freak incident, to say that happens in a single down is just plain old fashioned bullshit.
I don't think you appreciate what goes on in a single down of football. The kind of stress we are talking does NOT occur in baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. Admittedly, I've never collided at full speed with a 270-lb NFL linebacker, or had to tackle a 240-lb NFL running back with a full head of steam.

But you might be right, Championship Hopscotch might be a similar experience.
Or alternatively either form of Rugby, where they don't typically wear padding or helmets. Then we could look at boxing, lacrosse, hocky, or any other contact sport in existence. Again, a single down will cause *no* permanent harm barring a freak injury. To pretend it does is just bullshit. Personally I'd love to hear some details as to what kind of permanent harm this single down would potentially do. I could use a good laugh.