help me with wireless networking, please

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Meghan

help me with wireless networking, please

Post by Meghan »

ok - I know very little about this subject.

I have two desktops & a tablet. The tablet has wireless built in. The desktops are going to get USB cards.

Now, looking at this illustration of a d-link router set up, it looks like if I buy a router I have to hook it to a pc, which I'm assuming has to be on all the time? Is this machine still usable or would I need a separate pc for that?

OTOH, there's this illustration of a router/access point combo In that illustration it looks like I don't need to physically hook the router/ap to a machine. Is this correct? In this case, the network should still work even if the main pc is off, shouldn't it?

So for best convenience, I should probably get a router and access point both. Right?
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I have a router-only set up with my two desktops and one notebook system. Desktop 1 is hooked up to the router and does not have to be on to make the router work. The router does not take away from any of Destop 1's functionality (or gaming abilities). Desktop 2 has a D-Link wireless card in it. Notebook has a wireless card inside.

I believe the access points are for folks who need a relay to extend the range of their wireless system.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Meal wrote:I believe the access points are for folks who need a relay to extend the range of their wireless system.
Your router is an access point. There are two types of wireless networks, managed and ad hoc. You have a managed network, with your router acting as the access point to the network for any wireless clients within it's range.

An ad hoc network would be two wireless clients just talking to each other.

Meghan - you don't need to have a PC hooked up to any router. In some cases, if you have a wireless broadband router that doubles as a switch, the initial configuration has to be done with a wired connection (since you have configured the wireless capabilities yet), but after that you can unplug all the wires and go wireless with everyone.

I have a wireless router next to my cable modem, and all the PCs in the house (3 desktops, a laptop, and a PDA) connect wirelessly. Nothing is connected to the router except the cable modem.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:
The Meal wrote:I believe the access points are for folks who need a relay to extend the range of their wireless system.
Your router is an access point. There are two types of wireless networks, managed and ad hoc. You have a managed network, with your router acting as the access point to the network for any wireless clients within it's range.

An ad hoc network would be two wireless clients just talking to each other.

Meghan - you don't need to have a PC hooked up to any router. In some cases, if you have a wireless broadband router that doubles as a switch, the initial configuration has to be done with a wired connection (since you have configured the wireless capabilities yet), but after that you can unplug all the wires and go wireless with everyone.

I have a wireless router next to my cable modem, and all the PCs in the house (3 desktops, a laptop, and a PDA) connect wirelessly. Nothing is connected to the router except the cable modem.
On the money, and a good description. For the access point route my config is a Cisco PIX 501 providing connection to the Internet via the cable modem and built in switch for wired clients. I then have a Wireless G Access Point which extends the wired network into the air, thereby connecting my laptop to the network. The PIX adds the ability for me to have VPN tunnels to the networks I manage. Customers love it when they call you and you can connect to their equipment in a couple of seconds.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How timely. I'm going to steal Meghan's thunder. :)

I'm also looking to set up a wireless network in my house. Currently two computers are connected through a Linksys Router to each other and that new-fangled thing called the Internet.

My question is this:

Does it make sense for me to slap a Wireless Access Point into the current router and then use use a a wireless card/USB to provide network access to a computer in my basement?

(just seeing that's what Rip has...I think...not sure if it's exactly the same, hardware-wise)

I'm hesitant to go wireless for the ENTIRE network...mostly because I can picture some evil teens in front of my townhouse with laptops. But I guess if part of the network is wireless, that's a moot point, eh?

I was looking at the Wireless (g) protocol, but just saw they have a Wireless (a). I have like 10 cordless phones in my house and am thinking that (a) might be a better choice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Does it make sense for me to slap a Wireless Access Point into the current router and then use use a a wireless card/USB to provide network access to a computer in my basement?
Hmm...you need to have more than that in your basement. You need a way to put a router in the basement that is connected to the internet as well. :)

At this point though, since you aren't going to put Cat-5 in the walls, if you want internet access in your basement and on the second floor, you need a wireless access point.

(just seeing that's what Rip has...I think...not sure if it's exactly the same, hardware-wise)
Similar, but not quite. I'm guessing his router is more substantial than yours. :)

My recommendation would be to do this:

1) Buy a new wireless router (one that is a wireless access point and a 4-port switch).

2) Connect that to your cable modem upstairs, and then connect your two PCs to that.

3) Move the LinkSys router downstairs.

4) Get a wireless adapter for your basement PC.

5) Also connect your basement PC to the LinkSys router.

6) Use Windows XP on the basement PC to bridge the two networks. That way I can have internet access when I come to your house with my PC. :)

Seriously though, wireless access points are not much cheaper (if at all cheaper) than wireless access points/routers. Getting the combined unit makes your situation more flexible.

I was looking at the Wireless (g) protocol, but just saw they have a Wireless (a). I have like 10 cordless phones in my house and am thinking that (a) might be a better choice.
I will talk to my angry red-headed neighbor again, but I was talking to him the other day, and he alleges that 802.11a and 802.11g suck for range. He alleges that 802.11b has the best range, and you are going to need it to get to your giant basement. :)

Seriously though - I had the exact same townhouse and the exact same situation, with a 2.4GHz phone and microwave in the way - and I had no problems with the 802.11b network.
Make up bags of change
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: help me with wireless networking, please

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Meghan wrote: So for best convenience, I should probably get a router and access point both. Right?
Nope. Picture 1 is just fine. In fact, in picture 2 the access point is just another router.

The router will serve the internet to your wired and wireless PCs (and tablet).

The access point as pictured simply extends the range of the original router and/or allows for wired devices to connect wirelessly (ie it acts like an expensive wireless NIC card). They love to mix up terms and names to make you think you need to buy more. But the 1 router will work for your setup just fine.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:I will talk to my angry red-headed neighbor again, but I was talking to him the other day, and he alleges that 802.11a and 802.11g suck for range. He alleges that 802.11b has the best range, and you are going to need it to get to your giant basement. :)

Seriously though - I had the exact same townhouse and the exact same situation, with a 2.4GHz phone and microwave in the way - and I had no problems with the 802.11b network.
I like how your network recommendations coincide with your gaming needs, with respect to my basement. :)

I have already had a (b) network test in my house. It would drop signal every few hours for reasons unknown. Could be a configuration issue.

My research puts (b) at the farthest range, followed by (g). (a) has the shortest range...but I think it's 75 feet. (g) is 100-125 ft. (b) is 150+.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove wrote:I'm hesitant to go wireless for the ENTIRE network...mostly because I can picture some evil teens in front of my townhouse with laptops. But I guess if part of the network is wireless, that's a moot point, eh?
It's true that if you have a wireless network at all, you have a full wireless network. But routers allow you to encrypt or configure MAC addresses to secure it. It's not NSA level protection but it will do the job against warchalkers and neighborhood kids.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It's true that if you have a wireless network at all, you have a full wireless network. But routers allow you to encrypt or configure MAC addresses to secure it. It's not NSA level protection but it will do the job against warchalkers and neighborhood kids.
Yeah, there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do to prevent a knowledgable and persistent intruder. S/He will get in.

But in general, these are the steps I use:

1) 128-bit WEP Encryption. One step above a joke.
2) I don't broadcast my SSID, so casual users won't see my network.
3) I use MAC filtering to limit access to the adapters in my house (and anyone spoofing those MAC addresses :)).

Easy to penetrate I suppose, but I'm out in the open, so I'll see them trying to break in. :)
Make up bags of change
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Ok another novice question. If I don't broadcast my SSID, how do I configure the network and allow connections.

Right now I have one wireless card for a laptop and a netgear music station that connects through wireless to allow me to broadcast music to a stereo source.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gorham09 wrote:Ok another novice question. If I don't broadcast my SSID, how do I configure the network and allow connections.

Right now I have one wireless card for a laptop and a netgear music station that connects through wireless to allow me to broadcast music to a stereo source.
You have to know and configure the SSID on the devices manually. When it is broadcasted you can browse available networks without knowledge of the SSID. You will also want to make the SSID something not as simple as the defaults like "linksys"
— Benjamin Rush
--
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:How timely. I'm going to steal Meghan's thunder. :)

I'm also looking to set up a wireless network in my house. Currently two computers are connected through a Linksys Router to each other and that new-fangled thing called the Internet.

My question is this:

I'm hesitant to go wireless for the ENTIRE network...mostly because I can picture some evil teens in front of my townhouse with laptops. But I guess if part of the network is wireless, that's a moot point, eh?

I have 2 devices because I wanted the PIX for other devices. A wireless gateway is easier if you need both. The other situation where I use APs a lot is if the ISP provides a gateway, like Bellsouth now sends a Westell wirespeed with DSL orders that is a gateway already, and placing a gateway behind a gateway can be a pain. Not to mention if you ever have any problems and call supports the first thing they will do is have you connect directly to the provided modem/gateway. Once that works they will blame it on your equipment configuration and try to sell you their inside network that they will charge you every month for like inside wire maintenance. The telcom version of rustproofing :roll:
— Benjamin Rush
--
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Awww hell, I expected a much more complicated answer than that. :wink:

Thanks !
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Thanks for the info, gang! You're welcome to game in my basement too but it's a bit damp and moldy. It does have a gold painted statue of Pan though ...

I'm going to get this d-link air plus here and a couple of matching usb cards.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Meghan wrote:I'm going to get this d-link air plus here and a couple of matching usb cards.
in case you're curious, i've had that D-Link DI-624 router and a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI adapter for about 10 months now and they've worked out great...most of the time. there is a problem some people have with that router where it will actually reboot itself repeatedly if it experiences too much interference while in Super-G mode...for some people, it happens whenever a 2.4ghz phone rings in the area, while others never have it happen at all. i live in an apartment complex with lots of neighbors and several other wireless networks within range, and i used to have bouts of rebooting on occassion. D-Link has updated the router's firmware several times in the last year, however, and it seems to have helped the problem considerably. i can now leave my router in Super-G mode all the time without any trouble...just make sure you update the firmware right away (very easy to do). otherwise, it really is a great router...easy to connect and configure, good reception, and very fast. i regulary stream audio and video across my network without any trouble, and large file transfers are done in no time 8)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

thanks for the tip!

Have you tried connecting it to any "b" cards or only to "g" cards? They should be compatible but now I'm wondering ....