What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrdina

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Mannnnn, I know this makes me basic but I can't stop listening to Silk Sonic. I've loved Paak for a while, so to see him take off is great.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

MONO ‎– Before The Past · Live From Electrical Audio

only three tracks (and half an hour long) but good renditions. obvious Steve Albini production is obvious

[edit: the Soundcloud integration here is pretty nice...]

Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been in the mood to revisit lots of the early black metal genre classics lately. Emperor, Mayhem, Ulver, Satyricon, Bathory, etc. Tonight's spin was Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane", which is one that I had somehow skipped over. It's really amazing album.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The best album of 2021, Aquilus' "Bellum I" is currently streaming in full on the record label's YouTube. The blend of classical music, atmospheric folk, and black metal is truly astounding. Everything else will be a far distant second this year.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I know I'm over a decade late, but I watched a few episodes of Metalocalypse. So far I don't find it funny enough to justify the crudity, and I can't understand half the characters most of the time. It's from an era of adult animation that I've always struggled to appreciate. I do however enjoy the lovingly satirical metal aesthetic, and am genuinely touched by the fantasy of a world in which metal still has mainstream appeal.

Edit: I'm 10 episodes in and it's grown on me a bit.

On the other hand, I've listened to the first two albums separately and it's some of the catchiest melodeath I've ever heard. This has a Spinal Tap degree of legitimacy. From my perspective ​this is a near-perfect blend of poppy heavy metal hooks and rhythms, and authentic death metal. And I mean, the lyrics are barely parody for this genre half the time.

Love that riff at 00:50 so much! Is there more perfect a genre than melodeath? It's heavy and melodic at the same time. You can hum it and you can headbang to it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kids and I had a bit of a long drive today without Mrs. Skinypupy, so I decided to play Metallica's Black Album for the trip. While I still hear the bit "hit" songs pretty regularly (Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters, etc.), it's been probably 20 years since I've listened to the entire thing.

Hate to say it, but that album is really...not good. Like, at all. Outside of maybe 3-4 songs, everything on there is just cringeworthy at this point. Songs like "Don't Tread On Me", "Through the Never", and "The Struggle Within" are almost laughable. Suffice to say, I don't think I'll be spinning that one again anytime soon.

I remember listening to that album over and over and over as a teenager, thinking it was the greatest, heaviest thing I'd ever heard. Even the rose-colored nostalgia couldn't make that album any less groanworthy. Asked Little B what she thought, and she said "A couple songs were cool, but it was pretty lame." Well said, kid.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It was never my favourite, even when Master, Justice, and Load were some of my favourite albums. I like bits and pieces, but the riffs are samey and the whole record is overproduced. Honestly in retrospect it sounds more like their mediocre post-St. Anger stuff. (Not calling St. Anger better than mediocre--even the black album dances circles around it lol.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Kids and I had a bit of a long drive today without Mrs. Skinypupy, so I decided to play Metallica's Black Album for the trip. While I still hear the bit "hit" songs pretty regularly (Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters, etc.), it's been probably 20 years since I've listened to the entire thing.

Hate to say it, but that album is really...not good. Like, at all. Outside of maybe 3-4 songs, everything on there is just cringeworthy at this point. Songs like "Don't Tread On Me", "Through the Never", and "The Struggle Within" are almost laughable. Suffice to say, I don't think I'll be spinning that one again anytime soon.

I remember listening to that album over and over and over as a teenager, thinking it was the greatest, heaviest thing I'd ever heard. Even the rose-colored nostalgia couldn't make that album any less groanworthy. Asked Little B what she thought, and she said "A couple songs were cool, but it was pretty lame." Well said, kid.
I really dislike that album, never was a fan.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Here's my 2021 Top 10 list:

1. Aquilus – Bellum I – Not quite as good as his debut album (which is in my all-time top 10), but still a simply beautiful mix of classical music and brutal metal. It’s a fascinating listen that I hear something new in every time I spin it. Incredible that the entire thing was created solely by one guy.

2. Mortiferum – Preserved In Torment. This is probably 1a, and might be the album I listened to the most this year. Which is unexpected, as I really hadn't ever heard of these guys before November. It's been in near-constant rotation for the past 2 months. I love death metal with an air of menace and foreboding, and this absolutely nails it.

3. Thy Catafalque – Vadak. TC creates some of the most unique soundscapes of any band working today. Sometimes brutal, sometimes beautiful, sometimes silly, but always interesting.

4. Wharflurch – Psychedelic Realms Ov Hell. Just...insane. I don't even know how to describe this otherwise.

5. Archspire – Bleed the Future. As a (very terrible) drummer, listening to what Spencer Prewett does on the kit is simply mind-blowing. Crazy, complex, and fascinating tech-death.

6. The Ruins of Beverast – The Thule Grimoires. A great blend of Sisters of Mercy-ish goth with black metal atmosphere. The clean vocals don't always work perfectly, but the song structures are fantastic.

7. Cannibal Corpse – Violence Unimagined. Nothing fancy, but a catchy and angry return to form for Corpsegrinder and crew.

8. Baest – Necro Sapiens. Feels like a mix of fun, cheesy 80's hair metal with brutal death that has hooks galore.

9. Cerebral Rot – Excretion of Mortality. Just when you think you have each song figured out, they throw in some really weird and unexpected musical turns that make you sit up and take notice.

10. 200 Stab Wounds – Slave to the Scalpel. Nasty, gnarly, gross, no-frills death metal that is a blast to bang your head along to.

Honorable mentions:
- At the Gates - The Nightmare of Being
- Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell
- First Fragment - Gloire Eternelle
- Celestial Swarm - Gateways to the Necroverse
- Khemmis - Deceiver
- Cradle of Filth - Existence is Futile
- Cynic - Ascension Codes

Song of the year: Wheel, “At Night They Came Upon Us”. The rest of this album was merely ok, but this song is brilliant.

Disappointment of the year #1: Wizardthrone - Hypercube Necrodimensions. I thought that the combination of Gloryhammer’s catchy melodies and Aether Realm’s harsh vocals would be a match made in heaven, but this album was just…boring. Every song sounded exactly the same, with very few of the standout riffs and catchiness that both GH and AR are known for. Add in the racism, mysoginy, and general grossness from the Gloryhammer crew that came to light this year, and this was just a massive disappointment all around.

Disappointment of the year #2: Goatpsalm/Horthodox - Ash. Goatpsalm has always been mostly about creating eerie soundscapes, but they've previously been supported by a foundation of catchy tunes. This album was simply...noise. I don't even think you can call it music, it's just boring background sounds that never come together into anything interesting. I kinda suspected this would be the case with the Horthodox collab, but it's disappointing nonetheless

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just discovered this band. Thanks Spotify!

/stoner rock 4life
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The man loves him some whammy bar.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is Revelation (Mother Earth) from Ozzy.

Don't ignore it for its poor audio quality. Don't listen to it for Ozzy's singing. Hear it for Randy's haunting guitar work. This is Chicago Jan 1982 . In March Randy lost his life to a stupid accident and all his future whatever it was to be was lost.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Looks like I scrobbled just over 13,000 tracks in 2021, nearly doubling last year's then-highest 8,100. Of course, this was facilitated by the pandemic and being able to work from home. Toward the autumn I began listening to much less music as I began devoting almost all of my entertainment time to New World.

This year I also began experimenting with cannabis, and discovered that weed indeed makes music better. This inspired me to re-experience to a lot of my favourites. Three albums in particular were my go-tos: Monster Magnet's Spine of God (1991), Black Sabbath's Mob Rules (1981), and Xoth's Interdimensional Invocations (2019).

I didn't listen to a lot of new music this year, but my other most listened to albums were:

Dethklok - The Dethalbum (2007)
Bloody Hammers - The Summoning (2019)
Monster Magnet - A Better Dystopia (2021)
Tribulation - Where the Gloom Becomes Sound (2021)
Avatar - Feathers & Flesh (2016)
Vale of Pnath - Accursed (2019)
Helloween - Walls of Jericho (1985)
Lead Into Gold - The Sun Behind the Sun (2018)

My most listened to track was Haruspex by Xoth. I just can't get enough of that one. It feels like the metal equivalent of the reaction I had to Parts & Labor's noise rock Mapmaker almost 15 years ago. This is loud, noisy, complex music, but it has a lightness and brightness that shines through:

I feel like I listened to less metal overall this year, but it still dominated my charts. A lot of the other stuff I listen to is broken down into playlists so individual artists and albums don't rise as high.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have no idea what genre this is (tribal? folk? ambient?) but I find it absolutely fascinating.

The band's FB page calls it "Primordial dark folk music inspired by Siberian nature, shamanic rhythms and the mixed in the Old Icelandic epic "Elder Edda" and unique atmospheric sound."

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just discovered Scott Dunbar. Illiterate, didn't know chord names, recorded only this one album (at his house), never traveled outside of 100 miles of his Mississippi home. About as authentic blues as you can possibly get. Just fell in love with it.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:37 pmJust discovered Scott Dunbar.
This is fantastic, thanks for sharing.

If I'd found it on your MP3 player, I wouldn't have deleted it.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The album which I fully expect will top my 2022 list released today, Wilderun's "Epigone". It's absolutely stunning and proves that Wilderun is - by far - the best American metal band working right now. They leaned far more heavily into the "melo" end of the "melodeath" label this time around, but have done it so beautifully. It out-Opeths even the best classic Opeth albms in how they have combined symphonic, folk, prog, and death into a sum far greater than it's parts. Underneath the beautiful arrangements, there's an undercurrent of pain, loss, and, ultimately, hopefulness. There's not a video up yet (I'll post one as soon as I find it), but the second track, "Woolgatherer", is one of the most epic symphonic metal tracks I've ever heard.

Every time I think these guys can't get better, they just...do. I've listened to it twice this morning and I'm already blown away. The reviews are off the charts. I looked up 15 reviews this morning, and the lowest I saw was an 8/10, most being higher. I was a little worried that getting signed to a major label would dilute their sound, but that fear was entirely unfounded. This is just as amazing as their two previous albums.

This is going to be an absolutely essential album for 2022 and beyond. Cannot recommend it highly enough. 10/10, 5 stars, 8/8 tentacles, and so on.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ooh thanks Skiny. I've been on a metal kick lately but haven't been able to find anything that quite fits what I'm looking for.

On the other end of the spectrum, listened to this guy's self-titled album today and it has become a new favorite:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:07 pm Ooh thanks Skiny. I've been on a metal kick lately but haven't been able to find anything that quite fits what I'm looking for.
Their two previous albums, "Sleep at the Edge of the Earth" and "Veil of Imagination", are brilliant as well. "Sleep" is in my personal top 5 of all time, any genre.

They're simply an amazingly talented band.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

JCC

Post by JCC »

Skiny, how much does Wilderun lean into the blastbeats? I liked most of the song, but have never been into blastbeats very much.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:10 pm Skiny, how much does Wilderun lean into the blastbeats? I liked most of the song, but have never been into blastbeats very much.
Most of the songs have some short blastbeat sections, but overall this album focuses far more on the melodic/progressive side of things.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:49 am There's not a video up yet (I'll post one as soon as I find it), but the second track, "Woolgatherer", is one of the most epic symphonic metal tracks I've ever heard.
Someone uploaded "Woolgatherer" to YT. It's a truly wonderful song and is a good encapsulation of the entire album.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

black midi - Cavalcade

some decent modern-day prog rock. last track ("Ascending Forth") is quite good.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Manilla Road - Divine Victim

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New Ghost track premiered this morning. Catchy tune, I like it. New album due out on March 11. :dance:

Been listening to the new Swamp Lantern album a ton this week. It's fan-damn-tastic. Fans of desert stoner bands like Kyuss and Red Fang will probably dig it. Plus, the artwork rocks.

And the new Allegaeon track debuted today. Busy morning!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The faint, pleasant sound of rain on the rooftop. My son's almost falsetto voice (he's 11) singing and humming and occasionally cursing someone he's playing on his Xbox upstairs. Faint hum of one of my computer's fans (seems a little louder than normal actually, I should probably check that in BIOS). Keyboard keys clacking. A mind-numbingly annoying Youtuber's voice that one of my daughters is listening to. "GUYS!!!!!! GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS!! HI GUYS! Hey!! GUYS!! LISTEN UP GUYS!! GUYS YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS GUYS!!! OMG GUYS, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?! GUYS!!!!!!!"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is just making me want to listen to the actual albums
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Burned in Effigy album, "Rex Mortem" is really good. Reminds me of the first couple Aether Realm albums. Still fast and angry, but you can tell they're having a blast with it and there's catchy riffs for days.