- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

God, I hope he doesn't.

I don't think Ohio will change hands, but he made a promise to not conceed until all the votes are counted and he needs to stand by it.

This really sucks... :(
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Austin

Post by Austin »

godhugh wrote:God, I hope he doesn't.

I don't think Ohio will change hands, but he made a promise to not conceed until all the votes are counted and he needs to stand by it.

This really sucks... :(
Flip-flop. Actually I am kidding. I think it is the classy thing to do.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Well I bet on the losing Pony again....

But I think this concession is a good move in light of the popular vote margin. Samething should have been done in 2000 :(
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kudos to the man for realizing that the election is decided, and conceding rather than trying to drag things out as long as possible. My opinion of Kerry just rose a notch.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

They must have concluded that there aren't enough provisional ballots to change the outcome. Oh well, time to gear up for Hillary in 2008!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Oh thank goodness. Even with the best-possible projections for uncounted Ohio ballots, Kerry doesn't seem to have a chance. Good call on conceeding before this could get tossed into the courts. IIRC, four years ago it wasn't the Gore camp who initiated the court proceedings, but (over)zealous supporters. Announcing a concession speach and allowing for a peaceful and legitimate announcement of the president elect is the right thing to do.

Sucks, though, as I've wanted to cling to hope that we'd be seeing our 44th president come January.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

That's if they don't change the 2 term limit. It's bad to change the leadership in times of war.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:They must have concluded that there aren't enough provisional ballots to change the outcome. Oh well, time to gear up for Hillary in 2008!
This would be a HUGE mistake for the dems. Unless the Repubs put dick cheney out there.

How about McCain vs Hillary. I'd vote McCain all the way, hell I'd vote McCain vs almost anyone, but I doubt he'll ever get that far since he is so anti-special interest.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I agree Zaxxon.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Crabbs wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:They must have concluded that there aren't enough provisional ballots to change the outcome. Oh well, time to gear up for Hillary in 2008!
This would be a HUGE mistake for the dems. Unless the Repubs put dick cheney out there.

How about McCain vs Hillary. I'd vote McCain all the way, hell I'd vote McCain vs almost anyone, but I doubt he'll ever get that far since he is so anti-special interest.
I'd bet Guiliani runs for the Reps in 2008.

We might get that Clinton - Guiliani race after all ;).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Kudos to the man for realizing that the election is decided, and conceding rather than trying to drag things out as long as possible. My opinion of Kerry just rose a notch.
My thoughts exactly. He should concede gracefully. He gave it his best. Let the country heal and move on. 8)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm telling you, a Clinton - Obama ticket is going to rule! :wink:
Dirt

Re: ...

Post by Dirt »

PR_GMR wrote:
My thoughts exactly. He should concede gracefully. He gave it his best. Let the country heal and move on. 8)
Healing will come based on what Bush does, not if Kerry concedes. Bush, IMHO, has done little to unite the nation.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Dirt wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:
Healing will come based on what Bush does, not if Kerry concedes. Bush, IMHO, has done little to unite the nation.
That's an odd thing to say. He received the first majority vote in 12 years.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

I think Kerry should just declare victory. Say something like "they forgot to include the secret ballot". No offence, but Americans would fall for it (present company excepted of course). Imagine Cloetus from the Simpsons: "I guess I din't know about it cause its secret".
is_dead
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

noxiousdog wrote:
Dirt wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:
That's an odd thing to say. He received the first majority vote in 12 years.

;)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Kerry should go concede, get drunk and bang the Bush twins.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Padre

Post by Padre »

Well, it's definitely over.

BBC is reporting Kerry has conceded to Bush by phone call.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Noxious-

You must live in a different country than I do. People on both sides, while glad the campaign is over, remain as divided as they were pre-election. The country IS massively polarized -- discussions about the candidates were far more acrimonious than they were in 2000, friends actually came to blows, family members got into disputes so that they didn't talk to each other for extended periods of time. And that was just my experience and what I witnessed. I agree that Kerry conceding is the smart thing to do -- the Dems. aren't going to win points by dragging this out, and it's just about mathematically impossible for Kerry to win even with the provisional/absentee ballots. What Kerry's concession does is prevent the split from becoming more severe (if that's possible). Uniting the country is entirely up to Bush, which he's failed to do in the three years since 9/11 (the last time I think we can agree that the country was united together). As such, I have little hope that with the Reps. picking up more seats in Congress and without the fear of having to win re-election that he'll be motivated to try to bridge that chasm.
Debris

Post by Debris »

I now have a little bit of respect for the man.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

AndyM wrote:Noxious-

You must live in a different country than I do.
Of course I do. I live in Texas ;)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

noxiousdog wrote:

Where everything is Bush.
Steron

Post by Steron »

I think it's the classy thing to do. I just gained some more respect for Senator Kerry. He's doing the right thing. Most people (experts and otherwise) think there is no way he can win Ohio.

Thanks for not dragging it out Mr. Kerry.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm telling you, a Clinton - Obama ticket is going to rule! :wink:
Why not Palmer - Bauer?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Dirt wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Where everything is Bush.
And mechanical bulls! :D
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... eepandwide

Not sure how much faith we should be placing in exit polls these days, but this illustrates what I'm talking about.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

noxiousdog wrote:That's an odd thing to say. He received the first majority vote in 12 years.
16 years. Clinton didn't get a majority in 92. The last majority was had by Bush Elder in 88.

But I don't think that qualifies Bush as being a "uniter". It qualifies Rove as a damn good "get out the vote" operative. :)

And edit on the "It's up to Bush to unite us" issue. He certainly has a large role to play in that - but his role is not nearly as large as OUR role is in that. We need to be willing to be united without needing 3000 of our citizens murdered as a catalyst.

Until we are ready to be united, no President is going to make that happen. And certainly not in the climate that has existed in Washington over the past 4 years (the fault of both sides of the aisle).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Padre

Post by Padre »

What are you guys talking about with regard to a majority vote? The popular vote? Wha?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Padre wrote:What are you guys talking about with regard to a majority vote? The popular vote? Wha?
Over 50% of the popular vote.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Erm.... didn't Clinton get that in '96?

EDIT: Ooops, forgot about the Perot factor. Yeah, not for 16 years. Interesting that third part candidates polled so little of the vote this time,
qp

Post by qp »

Padre wrote:What are you guys talking about with regard to a majority vote? The popular vote? Wha?
Do to the electoral college system it is easy to become president and still have less than half of the voters nationwide vote for you.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think in their own best interests they should try to spend the next four years trying to gear up to win.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

qp wrote:
Do to the electoral college system it is easy to become president and still have less than half of the voters nationwide vote for you.
So winning both is a pretty big deal nowadays :)
Koz

Post by Koz »

Not if there's no viable third party candidate which there was with Perot back in the Clinton days.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

[quote="godhugh"]

I'd bet Guiliani runs for the Reps in 2008.

quote]

Nope. The man is a pro-choice social moderate, that would be one helluva kick in the teeth to the GOP base. The evangelicals have been key to Bush winning these past two elections, no way would they take that lying down.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Padre

Post by Padre »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm telling you, a Clinton - Obama ticket is going to rule! :wink:
Why not Palmer - Bauer?
I'm hopeful for Bartlett - Hoynes myself...
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

It's going to be Jeb Bush in 2008.
jblank

Post by jblank »

If you want us to beat the GOP candidate in '08, you better hope she isnt the candidate.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

jblank wrote:
If you want us to beat the GOP candidate in '08, you better hope she isnt the candidate.
So are you officially a Democrat now? (Not that I am indicting you, as you probably know) I inferred that it was more of a temporary "anti-Bush" thing.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.