Interesting popular vote item

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

geezer

Interesting popular vote item

Post by geezer »

Looks like, so far, Bush is absolutely thrashing Kerry in the popular vote (56/43 on drudge, 56/44 on CNN). I think we can all agree that those numbers would be shocking if they hold. This tells me that early counting in states may be skewing Bush and Kerry may have a large number of votes waiting to be counted. I know CA has yet to be started, but I'm wondering if the OH, PA and FL votes that are counted so far are from heavily republican districts?
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Check out the electoral map on CNN. If you go to Florida you will see that Bush is up 56-43 but if you click on enlarge map and then Kerry strength you will see that a lot of Kerry's strong counties have yet to be counted.

So in answer to your question yes I think that Kerry has a lot of votes to come.

Pointer
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Take this with a grain of salt, but the Bush campaign guy they just talked to on CNN seemed very encouraged by the numbers coming out of Florida. He said some of the Democratic stronghold counties are suddenly looking like swing counties, and that a lot of the "Hurricane Alley" counties he lost in 2000 are trending Bush.
geezer

Post by geezer »

This is a total aside, but I am horribly amused that in the heat of the election, the threads are (with one early exception) the most civil, cogent, respectful exchanges on here (and the previous board) in a long long time.

/pats us all on the back.

Let this trend continue tomorrow, please.

Back to your regularly scheduled monitoring, and by the way, I approved this message.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

geez--traditionally more rural, Republican leaning counties and precincts are able to count their votes faster.

Counting votes in more densely populated areas usually takes longer, and the results don't come in for a long while.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

geezer wrote:This is a total aside, but I am horribly amused that in the heat of the election, the threads are (with one early exception) the most civil, cogent, respectful exchanges on here (and the previous board) in a long long time.

/pats us all on the back.

Let this trend continue tomorrow, please.

Back to your regularly scheduled monitoring, and by the way, I approved this message.
You know most of us know each other very well, at least in this context. I think most of us like each other for the most part.

I also think we instinctively know how the other side is going to feel if they lose and we're taking it easy. Tomorrow will be soon enough for "debating" to begin again.