Should the media report election results before polls close?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

DiscoJason

Should the media report election results before polls close?

Post by DiscoJason »

This is my first post in R&P because I usually avoid this, but I was just curious what others thought about this topic.

Last election, I was watching the news reports when I was in the Eastern time zone and they were showing who was leading in which eastern states. It got me thinking that this was influencing those on the west coast because if they saw that Bush seemed to be winning by a lot and they were Gore supporters, they may feel the election was already over and not bother to vote. Or they might be Bush backers who figure the race in already won and not go and vote for Bush, causing Gore to win. With the last election, NBC was predicting Gore the winner of the election before all the states were in.

Am I alone in thinking that the media shouldn't give us any results until the polls close in Hawaii?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I want to know the result, with a reasonable degree of surity, by midnight EST. The farther west you go, the less American the people become, so the effect on them doesn't matter. Do they even speak English?
RunningMn9

Re: Should the media report election results before polls cl

Post by RunningMn9 »

DiscoJason wrote:Am I alone in thinking that the media shouldn't give us any results until the polls close in Hawaii?
No. I think that the media should keep it's trap shut until the polls are closed everywhere.

Not gonna happen. Although I bet they'll be a little more careful this year, after the FL debacle.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Everyone knows the west coast doesn't really matter anyway. Maybe if they wanted to be relavant they would close their polls earlier. So rather than blame the media they should blame themselves. Why I ought to kick them in the nuts.

I'm sorry. Could you repeat the question?
msduncan

Re: Should the media report election results before polls cl

Post by msduncan »

RunningMn9 wrote:
DiscoJason wrote:Am I alone in thinking that the media shouldn't give us any results until the polls close in Hawaii?
No. I think that the media should keep it's trap shut until the polls are closed everywhere.

Not gonna happen. Although I bet they'll be a little more careful this year, after the FL debacle.
CNN has called Florida for Kerry as of 1:30 pm.

;)
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

They've been doing this for a while now. :D
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unless the results are secret, they can report whatever they want. What I think they should refrain from doing is posting stupid predictions based on exit polls.

If the West Coast wants to party with everyone else, they need to change their polling times. Or hold off on their time change or something.

Sorry, the East Coast has to watch baseball or Monday Night Football past 1am. The West Coast can get up a bit early to vote.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Unless the results are secret, they can report whatever they want. What I think they should refrain from doing is posting stupid predictions based on exit polls.
Well, I'm sure they'll be a little more careful this time, but considering that Florida is the only major gaffe, and then it was largely due to a close race and exit polls including bad date (peeople who voted for one person but thought they voted for someone else), I think they have a reasonably good track record.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sorry, the East Coast has to watch baseball or Monday Night Football past 1am. The West Coast can get up a bit early to vote.
Don't you mean hockey. :x Except now I would pay my left nut for the privledge to stay up that late to watch hockey. :cry:
Steron

Post by Steron »

I think the news media should STFU until the last polls close. Alaska is the final poll to close at 0100 eastern time. If the results are annouced as the polls close, it could influence the vote. Especially in states, such as Florida, that are split by the timeline. The panhandle is an hour behind the rest of the state.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Nade wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Unless the results are secret, they can report whatever they want. What I think they should refrain from doing is posting stupid predictions based on exit polls.
Well, I'm sure they'll be a little more careful this time, but considering that Florida is the only major gaffe, and then it was largely due to a close race and exit polls including bad date (peeople who voted for one person but thought they voted for someone else), I think they have a reasonably good track record.
Don't forget calling the state before all the polls closed (the Panhandle is an hour behind the rest of the state). That was a major snafu.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Preacher wrote: Don't forget calling the state before all the polls closed (the Panhandle is an hour behind the rest of the state). That was a major snafu.
Well, that was a Television news error, not an exit polling error.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Steron wrote:I think the news media should STFU until the last polls close. Alaska is the final poll to close at 0100 eastern time. If the results are annouced as the polls close, it could influence the vote. Especially in states, such as Florida, that are split by the timeline. The panhandle is an hour behind the rest of the state.
Yeah, Neal and I had this conversation today. I didn't vote in the last election, because when I got home from work, the news said Gore had won. Not was predicted to win, not was leading, but had won. (I lived in the panhandle at the time, in Pensacola). So, I didn't vote. (No one is allowed to point out that this makes me a bad person, and that I should care about the local stuff, I know already. I suck.) So, yes, in my experience, the media reporting things can and does affect people's votes and whether or not they vote at all. The argument can be made that someone as stupid as me (for believing the media, and not going and voting on the local stuff anyway) shouldn't be represented by a vote anyway, but there you have my opinion. :)