Shenanigans in NJ

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

RunningMn9

Shenanigans in NJ

Post by RunningMn9 »

First of all - let me say that SOMEONE in the Democratic Party sure is scared about NJ. All of the sudden, we are getting blitzed with ads, personal appearances by the Clintons, phone calls over the weekend pleading with me to vote Kerry.

And now a TON of Bush ads on the radio. One was from the NJ Republicans. They actually said "Don't let the terrorists win" in the ad. Oh boy.

Then today I hear that the phone calls that the Dems have been making here in NJ were claiming that Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf has endorsed Kerry.

Which came as a surprise to the General. Who then issued a press release that not only did he not endorse Kerry, but here's the top 10 reasons why I think Kerry is an ineffectual weasel that shouldn't be elected.

I got called by the Kerry campaign yesterday, and now I wish that I took the call instead of my father-in-law. I would have liked to have heard it myself.

Please let the madness end tomorrow.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
noun

Post by noun »

My experiences are similar to yours, except here in Washington, I've been getting constant calls from the Republicans. Rudy Guiliani was tonight's guest of honor.

I'm with you. Let's fricking end it already.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

People are overreacting. Aside from a few outliers, polls don't seem to point to a close result in the state. In fact, in my election prediction, New Jersey was the "swing state" with the largest margin of victory, projecting out to 52.5% to 44.5% Kerry triumph.

Of course, my numbers could be crap. We'll find out, I suppose. :)
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

It's very quiet over here across the Hudson River.
Enough

Re: Shenanigans in NJ

Post by Enough »

RunningMn9 wrote:Then today I hear that the phone calls that the Dems have been making here in NJ were claiming that Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf has endorsed Kerry.

Which came as a surprise to the General. Who then issued a press release that not only did he not endorse Kerry, but here's the top 10 reasons why I think Kerry is an ineffectual weasel that shouldn't be elected.

I got called by the Kerry campaign yesterday, and now I wish that I took the call instead of my father-in-law. I would have liked to have heard it myself.

Please let the madness end tomorrow.
So you didn't actually hear the call alleging Norman's support for Kerry? I wouldn't think so since it appears this is yet another example of why it's wise to question every scintillating news story around election time (from Atrios):
Funny Monkeys

I'd wondered what happened to this little story on Drudge. It didn't sound quite right, and then it magically disappeared...

In 11th Hour Gambit, RNC Tries Hoodwinking Press: Splices DNC Call and Makes False Accusations
Washington DC - Today, the Republican National Committee tried to falsely accuse the Democratic National Committee of claiming the endorsement of General Schwarzkopf. In fact, the RNC spliced a DNC recorded telephone call by General Merrill "Tony" McPeak, urging voters to vote for John Kerry, and attempted to peddle the doctored audio file to the press.

In response, DNC Communications Director Jano Cabrera issued the following statement:

"This is a desperate, pathetic, 11th hour dirty trick by the Republicans. In an effort to gin up a last minute media controversy and smear the Democrats, the Republicans intentionally spliced a recorded call by Four Star General 'Tony' McPeak and tried to peddle it to the press. This type of dishonesty is a fitting end to George W. Bush's failed Presidency, a Presidency that unfortunately for the American people, was also defined by deceit and deception."

General McPeak’s recorded telephone call is available for download at:

link
Transcript of General McPeak’s call:

Hi, I'm General Tony McPeak and as Chief of the air force during the first Gulf War, I worked closely with Colin Powell and Norm Schwarzkopf. In 2000, I voted for George W. Bush. This year I'm voting for John Kerry. George Bush took his eye off the ball and the war on terror and took us into a poorly planned war in Iraq, letting Al Qaeda, the people responsible for September 11th attack on us, regroup. John Kerry has a real plan to make the military stronger and to go after the terrorists wherever they hide. On November 2 we need to vote for change, a vote for John Kerry.
Link to Atrios (sorry direct linking the post seems to be broken at the moment, just scroll to the entry on Funny Monkeys).

But make no mistake I wouldn't doubt that some Dems would make calls like this, just as I'm not surprised Republicans are posing as Kerry supporters in Florida to play with wedge issues. This is one slimy election, but I'm not sure your story about Stormin' Norman is panning out. ;)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

It's funny, living in Wisconsin I have gotten 0 calls from the Democrats and at least 2 calls a night from various Republicans ranging from Arnold to GWB himself...
RunningMn9

Re: Shenanigans in NJ

Post by RunningMn9 »

Enough wrote:But make no mistake I wouldn't doubt that some Dems would make calls like this, just as I'm not surprised Republicans are posing as Kerry supporters in Florida to play with wedge issues. This is one slimy election, but I'm not sure your story about Stormin' Norman is panning out. ;)
I'm certainly not asserting any truth to anything. I'm just calling shenanigans on everything that's going on here, from both sides.

Fireball - the Dems aren't spending money here all of the sudden, and dispatching the Clintons, because of a few outlier polls, like the Quinnipiac poll. They're doing it because their internal polling showed them that NJ might be in danger.

I doubt that it genuinely is, but if their internal polling showed an 8-12 point win, they wouldn't be here. Same goes for Bush. Their internal polling must show the same thing, or I wouldn't suddenly be getting warnings to "not let the terrorists win".

:)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Austin

Post by Austin »

RM9, all you have to do is listen to your heart. Shalalala.