Battleground?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

moghedian

Battleground?

Post by moghedian »

:D

I've never posted (I'm pretty sure) on the R&P before but I just have to say...I can't...really....stand....the term ("Battleground States").

The "Battleground" is in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever our troops/friends/family or what have you are fighting and dying ON .

"Battleground" is a term for WAR.

An Election is important! Believe me!! Beyond A Doubt. Just wanted to make a post that the term "Battleground" for an election (unless it's in Iraq or Afghanistan, there's a 'Battleground state for you') just seems to me...not the same as those in Ohio or what have you?

I guess the point is to just get out and vote for who ever... Kerry, Bush, Nader, the guy next door you think could do well...

You live in the USA and that is your right!! You can vote for the President even if you have not yet registered yet!

Just VOTE......

Thank you..

Yes you can! Go and vote!

I've diverted off the main subject I think but I think I live in a Great Country

Thanks for listening
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Well, there's thankfully no shooting involved.

People fight for this stuff like life itself depended on it; I don't think it denegrates anyone to say that it's a battle for power and control, except for maybe the people who are hungry for it.

It gets nasty out there. I've had two of my signs stolen, slashed, my car keyed, bumper stickers slapped onto the hood, and someone let loose a box of mice in my back porch (who then got into my kitchen before I got home from work... I think I just caught the last one last night). I got flipped off today on the way to work by someone shouting "Fuck Kerry" after they saw the back of my car. On Friday someone sat behind me laying on their horn and shouting, but I didn't hear what they said... they had some of the stylish "W" stickers in their back window and the "Pro-Life" stickers that all too often seem to mean "Anti-You".

I've done a little bit of volunteer work for the DFL, but I'm not a public person at all and I've only put up one sign and a bumper sticker in the back window of my car. I haven't really done anything that I would think would draw much attention to myself. I guess I don't regret standing up for what I believe in, but I didn't think I'd be attacked for it as much as I have.

I disagree that it's not a battleground. People take this all way, way too seriously and forget that we're all Americans and have to live under the same roof when the election is over. I'm already a cynic, but this election year hasn't helped the matter any and has really made me bitter about Bush supporters.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Faldarian wrote:People fight for this stuff like life itself depended on it;
That's because some of them apparently believe that it does.
I'm definitely gonna vote for him," Karnes said of Bush. "Because he's been the president for four years and nothing bad has happened since Sept. 11. He's kept me alive for four years." If Kerry becomes president, he said, "We'll be dead within a year."
I know that much has been made of the irrational Bush hating left. RM9 in particular likes to rag on it. Even Mr. Fed had to get in on the action. But it's coming from both sides.
Dave, a 54-year-old electronic technician, said that if Kerry wins, "I'm going to leave the country and go to a Third World nation and start a ranch." His wife, Jenny, laughed and accused him of hyperbole, but he insisted he's been studying Portuguese, the language of Brazil, "so we'll have an escape route." Sitting near him was Greg Swalley, a blond electrical contractor. "I think Kerry is the anti-Christ," he said, only half-joking. "He scares me."
What scares me is this attitude, which is also coming from both sides.
That calmed the angry blond woman down a little. But she was still mad. "We," she said, stammering and gesturing contemptuously at the demonstrators, "we are the way it should be!"
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dave, a 54-year-old electronic technician, said that if Kerry wins, "I'm going to leave the country and go to a Third World nation and start a ranch." His wife, Jenny, laughed and accused him of hyperbole, but he insisted he's been studying Portuguese, the language of Brazil, "so we'll have an escape route." Sitting near him was Greg Swalley, a blond electrical contractor. "I think Kerry is the anti-Christ," he said, only half-joking. "He scares me."
I met several liberals last weekend who got or renewed passports in case of a Bush victory. They were serious -- they think they will need to leave the country on very short notice if he wins. One of them (I kid you not) said that Osama bin Laden is the only one being honest with the American people ("your security is in your own hands").

True believers on both sides are frightening. I don't think "battleground" is exaggerated as the electorate becomes more and more polarized.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ironrod wrote:One of them (I kid you not) said that Osama bin Laden is the only one being honest with the American people ("your security is in your own hands").

:shock: He bought into the illusion of American Democracy?! How insane.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT