How do you watch elections?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Tareeq

How do you watch elections?

Post by Tareeq »

In my house it's like a sporting event, specifically it's like a UNC basketball game against a ranked opponent. Friends may come over. Beer is consumed. Pizza is ordered. Pillows are thrown at the tv as though the anchormen were Dick Vitale and Billy Packer. Much profanity is uttered.

In 2000 it was like a really close basketball game, in that I eventually had to leave the room. This year, since I dislike both candidates, I'll probably watch it as though it was a basketball game between good teams to which I have no loyalty. Since Bush isn't Dean Smith and Kerry isn't Mike Krzyzewski I'm much less likely to get invested in who wins, and to appreciate this for the sporting event/reality show/beauty contest among ugly competitors that it is.

Good tv.

Does anyone approach these things differently?
CSL

Post by CSL »

Not working Tuesday night, so if CBC is carrying election progress i'll stick with them. Otherwise i'll see what major station (ABC, CBS, NBC or CNN) has the best coverage. That is with the fewest sound bites and least repition. Most likely i'll just play NWN/UT2K4
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

The 2000 election I mostly remember Dan Rather's absolutely bizarre homegrown sayings, and Tim Russert with that little dry erase board.

I also remember driving up Ave. of the Stars and hearing on the radio that Gore had taken Florida. I shouted "yes!" in triumph inside my car.

It would be a long day...
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Gore had taken Florida
This just sounds so much like a military conquest.
Bush swept through Kerry-controlled Kansas today, en route to Wichita, in retaliation for Kerry's recent attack on a supply convoy near Bismarck, North Dakota.
Edited because I spel gud.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

bluefugue wrote:I also remember driving up Ave. of the Stars and hearing on the radio that Gore had taken Florida. I shouted "yes!" in triumph inside my car.
I had just gotten out of class, my radio tuned to a news station, on my way home to throw on my suit before heading to the Republican Watch Party when they called Gore for Florida. I literally jerked the wheel so hard in dismay that I almost went off the road...
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
CSL

Post by CSL »

Eel Snave wrote:
Gore had taken Florida
This just sounds so much like a military conquest.
Bush swept through Kerry-controlled Kansas today, en route to Wichita, in retaliation for Kerry's recent attack on a supply convoy near Bismarck, North Dakota.
Edited because I spel gud.
I would really dig it if election night our entire convo's on the preceedings are made in military euthamisms.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Peter Jennings all dressed in fatigues, chomping on a cigar.

I want my own news channel.[/quote]
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

While I try to stay calm and collected on election night, what actually ends up happening is that I flip frantically between the 3 networks, heart-pounding, from about 6:00pm when I get home until the networks are satisfied that they've called a winner. I try to be casual and play a game or something like I don't really care either way, but in reality I will be on verge of a stroke.

During this time I am prone to cussing, pacing around the room, and basically freaking the hell out.

If my guy wins, I'll go to bed pumped, almost unable to sleep.

If my guy loses, I'll go to bed in a deep depression with enormous anxiety (all of which usually fades by the next day).

Basically, yes, it's EXACTLY like watching a big college basketball game. My wife has learned to just stay far away from me until it's over.

The one bit of good news is that my entire company is almost all pro-Bush. So if Kerry wins, I won't have to listen to any assholes rubbing it in. Everyone will be in mourning with me. :)
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

YellowKing wrote:
The one bit of good news is that my entire company is almost all pro-Bush. So if Kerry wins, I won't have to listen to any assholes rubbing it in. Everyone will be in mourning with me. :)
Heh, I live in Texas, so if Kerry wins I'm going to be one of those assholes ;).

I typically just sit down in my pomposan chair and flip between all the stations. I'm usually not nervous about it, but I sure as hell will be tomorrow.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Austin

Post by Austin »

We have a Bible Study at our house on Tuesday night. I'm not sure who a lot of the folks are voting for as we don't do politics much. It seems appropriate that we are into Romans 13. ;)

Anyway, I am sure some people will hang out to watch some results. I know there are a couple Kerry supporters but am pretty sure it is a mostly Bush camp. Should be fun regardless. :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Last presidential election I went to a Fatboy Slim concert. When they still hadn't called the winner on the radio on my ride home (about an hour drive) I sat in my carport and listened until I couldn't stay up any more.

Ironically enough, I don't have broadcast TV available this time around either, so I may either be getting my results here on the forums or by listening to the radio while doing something else. I doubt any of us are going to sleep that night with rock-solid information as to whether we'll have a 44th president or not.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

In the dark, completely nude. ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

The Meal wrote:Last presidential election I went to a Fatboy Slim concert. When they still hadn't called the winner on the radio on my ride home (about an hour drive) I sat in my carport and listened until I couldn't stay up any more.

Ironically enough, I don't have broadcast TV available this time around either, so I may either be getting my results here on the forums or by listening to the radio while doing something else. I doubt any of us are going to sleep that night with rock-solid information as to whether we'll have a 44th president or not.

~Neal
I don't have broadcast TV either, so I will most likely listen to NPR and surf the web to keep updated.

I also may be drinking, so fair warning there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I usually find myself in a bar. This year I might go bowling.

I like to be at a place with a TV, but I don't watch it. Just check for updates or ask someone who is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph Nader = Herb Sendek
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Captain Caveman wrote:Ralph Nader = Herb Sendek
Spoiler?

Loser?

Or just bad hair?