How many here would take the pledge?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

How many here would take the pledge?

Post by Little Raven »

The Bush Pledge, that is.
"I want you to stand, raise your right hands," and recite "the Bush Pledge," said Florida state Sen. Ken Pruitt. The assembled mass of about 2,000 in this Treasure Coast town about an hour north of West Palm Beach dutifully rose, arms aloft, and repeated after Pruitt: "I care about freedom and liberty. I care about my family. I care about my country. Because I care, I promise to work hard to re-elect, re-elect George W. Bush as president of the United States."
RM9? Al? ND? Eduardo? :wink:

I ask because while I'm voting for Kerry, I don't think I could stand, raise my right hand, and pledge to work hard to elect him. Democratic Boot Camp just didn't prepare me for that. Is the Republican version better?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Al

Post by Al »

You're asking the wrong Republican, at least with me. My opinion of both Bush and Kerry tracks pretty well with The Economist's.

Oh, and I've only been to one boot camp and it was surprisingly non-partisan.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'll take it November 3rd.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: How many here would take the pledge?

Post by $iljanus »

.—" The assembled mass of about 2,000 in this Treasure Coast town about an hour north of West Palm Beach dutifully rose, arms aloft
Refrains from making a parallel to other gatherings in 20th century history which may have looked similar...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah this one time I saw all these Democrats at a rally screaming "Fuck Bush!" which means that all Democrats are angry people who use swear words.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

YellowKing wrote:Yeah this one time I saw all these Democrats at a rally screaming "Fuck Bush!" which means that all Democrats are angry people who use swear words.
Believe me, YK, I don't lump all conservatives together. That's why I'm asking how many would take the pledge. I really can't picture any of the conservatives on this forum (well, maybe Eco) doing it.

Would you?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:Yeah this one time I saw all these Democrats at a rally screaming "Fuck Bush!" which means that all Democrats are angry people who use swear words.
Maybe they were just stating their preferred method of having sex.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Actually YK there are alot of Democrats I know who are very angry and use swear words so you aren't completely far off. :wink:

This pledge thing though is rather strange to me. I'd be equally weirded out if I saw this in a Democratic rally.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Al

Post by Al »

Am I the only one who heard the NPR piece a couple of months ago on the "warm up acts" that precede Bush at political rallies?

From what they were saying, and the audio I heard, hardcore partisan rhetoric is par for the course for them since they tend to fly under the media's radar. I'd love to hear what Kerry’s warm up people say as well, since I have to imagine that they do the same thing.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Are you saying the use of loyalty oaths and pledges are rare in the Bush campaign? Or what are you trying to get at with this?

:?:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'll be voting for GW, but I work hard only for myself and my customers.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm basically saying - have you ever been to a political rally? They do all kinds of weird crap.

There's an implication there that this oath is somehow a sanctioned "requirement" of the Bush campaign, one more step on their way to world mind control and domination. I know Little Raven didn't post this in order to suggest that, but that's the implication of this original article.

As to whether I'd take the oath or not, I don't know how to answer that since I don't work for the Bush campaign. If I was gung-ho about working to elect Bush, yeah I probably would, particularly since I would view that oath as utterly meaningless pep talk. If some random guy walked up to my door and asked me to take the oath, no I probably wouldn't.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:I'm basically saying - have you ever been to a political rally? They do all kinds of weird crap.
That's true. I think that's why I avoid them. I like the political issues but I prefer to observe the theater from a safe distance.

Marched in a protest once though and that was fun.
Black lives matter!

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This is assinine. I will hold my nose and vote for this boob. I'm not swearing fealty to him.

This on the heels of a PAC commercial from some RTL loons, which ended with "I'm voting to save America's children. I'm voting for GWB." I wanted to drive my car into a tree.

But I couldn't because I was off to buy SW: Battlefront.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

RunningMn9 wrote:This is assinine. I will hold my nose and vote for this boob. I'm not swearing fealty to him.

This on the heels of a PAC commercial from some RTL loons, which ended with "I'm voting to save America's children. I'm voting for GWB." I wanted to drive my car into a tree.

(emphasis mine)

You sure? What what I read about it that tree looks awfully inviting.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

RunningMn9 wrote:This on the heels of a PAC commercial from some RTL loons, which ended with "I'm voting to save America's children. I'm voting for GWB." I wanted to drive my car into a tree.

"There's one issue where Kerry will never flip flop. He stands for partial birth abortion!"

Was is that ad?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SuperHiro wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:This is assinine. I will hold my nose and vote for this boob. I'm not swearing fealty to him.

(emphasis mine)

You sure? What what I read about it that tree looks awfully inviting.
No choice in the matter. I need it for a LAN event next Saturday.

I'm normally a SW whore (X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Rebellion, Force Commander, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Galaxies), so adding Battlefront - even if it doesn't live up to expectations, is sort of par for the course.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Tareeq wrote:"There's one issue where Kerry will never flip flop. He stands for partial birth abortion!"

Was is that ad?
That's the one. :)
Make up bags of change
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

YellowKing wrote:I'm basically saying - have you ever been to a political rally? They do all kinds of weird crap.
I have been to dozens of political rallies and never seen any sort of pledge. I've also never been asked to sign a loyalty document, which is apparently common at Bush-Cheney rallies in 2004.

And I attended and worked a number of Bush-Cheney events in 2000.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Holman

Post by Holman »

"I care about freedom and liberty. I care about my family. I care about my country. Because I care, I promise to work hard to re-elect, re-elect George W. Bush as president of the United States."
That's just bad writing. The fourth sentence is a complete non sequitur.

I'll proudly recite the first three sentences while casting my vote for Kerry on Tuesday.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

do they give you an armband with that pledge?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!