New Terror Tape Authenticated

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Eco-Logic

New Terror Tape Authenticated

Post by Eco-Logic »

http://www.reuters.co.uk/printerFriendl ... yID=610615

The CIA and FBI have authenticated the new al Qaeda video. I certainly pray we continue to stop these bastards.
DD

Post by DD »

Come on now, Eco - what we need here is for everyone to be more sensitive, treat this terrorism stuff as a law-enforcement issue and it'll just be a nuisance, like prostitution.

I mean, I'm sure that these so-called "terrorists" are only saying things "the streets will run with blood" because the US foreign policy doesn't have enough nuance.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Take it to R&P guys.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

DD wrote:Come on now, Eco - what we need here is for everyone to be more sensitive, treat this terrorism stuff as a law-enforcement issue and it'll just be a nuisance, like prostitution.

I mean, I'm sure that these so-called "terrorists" are only saying things "the streets will run with blood" because the US foreign policy doesn't have enough nuance.
Where have you been DD? :)
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

aussie77 wrote:Take it to R&P guys.
I don't think it's Religion or Politics though :) I just wanted to let people know the tape is real.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well we can only hope that this is just an Al'Queda election-themed bluff.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

From all the news stories I've read and heard on this issue I haven't heard that the tape was authenticated, but that the tape was being worked on to "GET IT" authenticated.

I have not heard any statements from the FBI or CIA saying that the tape was authenticated yet.

From reading the link that Eco-logic posted I didn't see any sentences that stated the tape WAS authentic, but just a theory on who the speaker on the tape might be. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ABC News vice president Jeffrey Schneider said the network has not shown the video because its authenticity has not been verified by either independent analysts or government experts.

"We have worked with the CIA and the FBI, neither of whom have authenticated the tape," he told Reuters. "Obviously, it would be beyond irresponsible to broadcast this tape without first authenticating it."

That's straight from the linked article. It's not authenticated...yet.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Everything will be fine if we act more manly.
noun

Post by noun »

In before the move...

All right, let's say for the sake of argument the tape is authenticated. So what? How is this any different from the other countless video threats we've seen over the past few years? What, we'll go to Code Fuschia or something? Are any of you gullible enough to decide to avoid the polls because of this crap?

All right, show of hands. Which of you fools actually duct-taped your windows when the media reported an imminent biological attack?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Moving before the in.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

http://www.drudgereport.com/abct1.htm

He sure uses strong verbage that it has in fact been authenticated though.
Crux

Post by Crux »

DD wrote:Come on now, Eco - what we need here is for everyone to be more sensitive, treat this terrorism stuff as a law-enforcement issue and it'll just be a nuisance, like prostitution.

The tape might be real Eco, but this sort of crap doesn't belong in this forum.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Eco-Logic wrote:
aussie77 wrote:Take it to R&P guys.
I don't think it's Religion or Politics though :) I just wanted to let people know the tape is real.
Eco-Logic wrote:I certainly pray we continue to stop these bastards.
Political editoral right there. Some would say we are stopping them, some would say not.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Man, these guys have gotten soft lately. Before they used to blow shit up and raise havak, but now they just make scary tapes.
DD

Post by DD »

aussie77 wrote:

The tape might be real Eco, but this sort of crap doesn't belong in this forum.
For shame! Such naughty language - someone needs his mouth washed out with soap!
MHS

Post by MHS »

Moving to R&P. It may not have started out intended to be political, Eco, but it's going that direction, nonetheless.

Thanks- MHS
Enough

Post by Enough »

Come on now, DD - what we need here is for everyone to be more patriotic, not question the president, sign a loyalty oath to vote for him in order to attend any of his events and it'll just be rumours on teh internets, like when they misunderestimated Bush. ;)

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Mr. Fed wrote:Everything will be fine if we act more manly.
The problem is that there are two ways we're looking at how the run the war on terror.

Allow me to explain. Imagine that this whole terror stuff is the PC Strategy Games genre.

Now, there are some people who greatly prefer RTS-style games. They're all about building resources, making a big-ass army, and sending it out to destroy the enemies' base. Nothing else really matters in the game... it's all about kicking ass and taking names. The grand strategy is to take your boot, and put it into your opponent's rectum. Diplomacy? Teamwork? Hey, do you see what's in my pants? Yeah, that's a penis. Do you see what's it about to do? Yeah that's right... INTO YOUR ASS. Whether you do it with a teammate in an team game or by yourself in a 1v1 ladder; if your boot isn't in some sort of rectum at the end then you failed. You don't mind the occasional team game, but you're really all about the FFA. It's all you baby. And if you can rush and win in the first five minutes... then you are supar l337, fat hamburger kekeke.

Your game is Warcraft III

Now there are some other people who prefer TBS style strategy. Sure there's combat, and that's fun. But there's also about a million different ways to achieve victory. The boot-in-rectum factor is rather small. The problem though is that you spend so much freakin time between turns. In a single turn you have to manage economy, diplomacy, build army, move units around, terraform, manage every single city you have, check build orders, and look at about 900 graphs and line charts that measure your progress against your opponents. You also save after every turn to make sure you get it just right, you damn anal-retentive Poindexter. You lose the urgency in the situation, looking at everything from a birds-eye view.

Your game is Civilization III

As for me? Well I tend to be a Kohan II fan.

Regardless, if viewing the war on terror with any sort of nuance and understanding of the social implications makes me some sort of gay-ass girly man... that's fine, pass the cock.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Eco, it was posed in the last hilariously funny thread you started yesterday, but do you actually even read the things you post?

Here's the Reuters story:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - ABC News has asked U.S. security officials to examine a videotape it obtained in Pakistan of an English-speaking man threatening a massive attack on the United States, the network says.

Sources familiar with the tape -- the authenticity of which U.S. intelligence officials have not been unable to verify -- said the man, who claims to be a U.S. native and al Qaeda supporter, warns that the "streets will run with blood."

The video appears to have been made as recently as late summer because the speaker discusses the Darfur conflict in Sudan, makes a reference to the Massachusetts same-sex marriage legislation and mentions the September 11 Commission, one U.S. intelligence official told Reuters on Wednesday.

ABC News vice president Jeffrey Schneider said the network has not shown the video because its authenticity has not been verified by either independent analysts or government experts.

"We have worked with the CIA and the FBI, neither of whom have authenticated the tape," he told Reuters. "Obviously, it would be beyond irresponsible to broadcast this tape without first authenticating it."

The first disclosure of the tape by Internet columnist Matt Drudge prompted ABC to publicly acknowledge the video's existence before knowing whether it was real or fake.

Schneider said the tape was obtained from a source in Pakistan over the weekend and arrived in New York on Monday, where it was first viewed by network officials.

Asked about the tape at a campaign stop with President George W. Bush in Ohio, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters, "The intelligence community is analyzing it, working to verify its authenticity."

A source familiar with the tape told Reuters the hourlong video features a man, whose face is concealed by a headdress, warning that a coming attack on the United States would dwarf the September 11, 2001 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

According to the source, the man says, "The streets will run with blood" and says the United States has brought this on itself for electing a president who has declared war on Islam by attacking the former Taliban rulers in Afghanistan and waging war against al Qaeda.

The source said linguistic experts believe the man, who identifies himself as "Assam the American," learned English at a young age but is not a native English speaker.

A U.S. intelligence official said the man claims to be originally from America and speaks fluent English with a slight accent. "We don't have a positive ID of the speaker, who was shrouded and wearing dark glasses," the official said. "The intelligence community does not have information linking the video to a specific threat."

The official said the tape was "classic al Qaeda propaganda," but seems to have been "sliced and diced." The speaker refers to al Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri as "our leaders" and praises the September 11 attacks.

Sharing information like this with the government carries risks for a news organization, said media analyst Andrew Tyndall.

"If...as a result of sending this tape to the government, the CIA tipped off the Pakistani internal intelligence service, and they rounded this guy up, (ABC's) news-gathering ability would be compromised because you'd be perceived by the people on the streets of Karachi as being a front organization for the

CIA."

Schneider said ABC had been consulting with experts of its own as well as with U.S. officials. "We went to a number of sources in an attempt to authenticate (the tape) and in this case, those sources include government sources," he said.

Some keys:

The tape hasn't been authenticated yet. It may turn out to be very real, absolutely. BUT--as of the posting of that story by Eco, the tape hasn't been authenticated as being anything other than a videotape of a guy in a headdress making vague threats against the US.

Even if the tape is authentic, as others reported around the 'net yesterday, the "threat level" of the tape would be considered "low", because it can't be tied by intelligence to any specific threats or investigations.

I dunno though. You guys still might get your hoped-for threat elevation just in time for the election. Seems like kind of a bad thing to wish for, though.
Enough

Post by Enough »

It's also seeming likely that a transcript of ABC's terror tape was leaked to Drudge by those in the Bush WH who desperately want the story to run. That's the speculation at ABC anyways.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

triggercut wrote:I dunno though. You guys still might get your hoped-for threat elevation just in time for the election. Seems like kind of a bad thing to wish for, though.
That woudl be a big disappointment. I was all hyped up for my October Zaqawi Surprise.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

noxiousdog wrote:
triggercut wrote:I dunno though. You guys still might get your hoped-for threat elevation just in time for the election. Seems like kind of a bad thing to wish for, though.
That woudl be a big disappointment. I was all hyped up for my October Zaqawi Surprise.
Who knows, you might get both?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Well, thank goodness it wasn't given to CBS. I'm sure Dan Rather would have had some lame explanation of how they wanted the people of the US to decide whether this was real.

The use of language is interesting though. It almost sounds like the attack would come if Bush gets reelected. Sort of 'this is your chance to make a change, otherwise you will pay' type of message.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Jag wrote:Well, thank goodness it wasn't given to CBS. I'm sure Dan Rather would have had some lame explanation of how they wanted the people of the US to decide whether this was real.

The use of language is interesting though. It almost sounds like the attack would come if Bush gets reelected. Sort of 'this is your chance to make a change, otherwise you will pay' type of message.
Best be sure to vote for him then, he'll make them terrarists pay first! They're evildoers who hate freedom, you know.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

triggercut wrote:Eco, it was posed in the last hilariously funny thread you started yesterday, but do you actually even read the things you post?

Here's the Reuters story:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - ABC News has asked U.S. security officials to examine a videotape it obtained in Pakistan of an English-speaking man threatening a massive attack on the United States, the network says.

Sources familiar with the tape -- the authenticity of which U.S. intelligence officials have not been unable to verify -- said the man, who claims to be a U.S. native and al Qaeda supporter, warns that the "streets will run with blood."

The video appears to have been made as recently as late summer because the speaker discusses the Darfur conflict in Sudan, makes a reference to the Massachusetts same-sex marriage legislation and mentions the September 11 Commission, one U.S. intelligence official told Reuters on Wednesday.

The first disclosure of the tape by Internet columnist Matt Drudge prompted ABC to publicly acknowledge the video's existence before knowing whether it was real or fake.

Schneider said the tape was obtained from a source in Pakistan over the weekend and arrived in New York on Monday, where it was first viewed by network officials.

Asked about the tape at a campaign stop with President George W. Bush in Ohio, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters, "The intelligence community is analyzing it, working to verify its authenticity."

A source familiar with the tape told Reuters the hourlong video features a man, whose face is concealed by a headdress, warning that a coming attack on the United States would dwarf the September 11, 2001 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

According to the source, the man says, "The streets will run with blood" and says the United States has brought this on itself for electing a president who has declared war on Islam by attacking the former Taliban rulers in Afghanistan and waging war against al Qaeda.

The source said linguistic experts believe the man, who identifies himself as "Assam the American," learned English at a young age but is not a native English speaker.

A U.S. intelligence official said the man claims to be originally from America and speaks fluent English with a slight accent. "We don't have a positive ID of the speaker, who was shrouded and wearing dark glasses," the official said. "The intelligence community does not have information linking the video to a specific threat."

The official said the tape was "classic al Qaeda propaganda," but seems to have been "sliced and diced." The speaker refers to al Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri as "our leaders" and praises the September 11 attacks.

Sharing information like this with the government carries risks for a news organization, said media analyst Andrew Tyndall.

"If...as a result of sending this tape to the government, the CIA tipped off the Pakistani internal intelligence service, and they rounded this guy up, (ABC's) news-gathering ability would be compromised because you'd be perceived by the people on the streets of Karachi as being a front organization for the

CIA."

Schneider said ABC had been consulting with experts of its own as well as with U.S. officials. "We went to a number of sources in an attempt to authenticate (the tape) and in this case, those sources include government sources," he said.

Some keys:

The tape hasn't been authenticated yet. It may turn out to be very real, absolutely. BUT--as of the posting of that story by Eco, the tape hasn't been authenticated as being anything other than a videotape of a guy in a headdress making vague threats against the US.

Even if the tape is authentic, as others reported around the 'net yesterday, the "threat level" of the tape would be considered "low", because it can't be tied by intelligence to any specific threats or investigations.

I dunno though. You guys still might get your hoped-for threat elevation just in time for the election. Seems like kind of a bad thing to wish for, though.
Trig, give me a break. I acknowledged that, and pointed out that he is using awful strong words if it isn't in fact authenticated.
You guys still might get your hoped-for threat elevation just in time for the election. Seems like kind of a bad thing to wish for, though.
That is ludicrous and you're an idiot for even eluding that I want the threat elevated.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So the Bush election strategy has come down to this: "Vote for Bush because the terrorists hate him!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Run awaaaaaay!

~N
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Paul Roberts wrote:So the Bush election strategy has come down to this: "Vote for Bush because the terrorists hate him!"
according to The London Times, Iranian mullahs like Bush, Castro is leaning toward Kerry, Kim Jong Il thinks Bush is “an imbecile and a tyrant who puts Hitler in the shade”, Mugabwe thinks they both suck, Putin - who must be wondering what the hell he did to get on this list - is strongly pro-Bush but is playing coy.

The Washington Times,which I quote here purely for amusment, says that the Iraqis are split with the former Sadam loyalists prefering Kerry and the resistance led by "foreign extremists" leaning toward Bush since he's a "provactive figure" and brings out the extremist in others.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Eco-Logic wrote: Trig, give me a break. I acknowledged that, and pointed out that he is using awful strong words if it isn't in fact authenticated.
Only AFTER it was pointed out.

You also said:
Eco-Logic wrote:The CIA and FBI have authenticated the new al Qaeda video.

I just wanted to let people know the tape is real.
Eco-Logic wrote: That is ludicrous and you're an idiot for even eluding that I want the threat elevated.
eluding

To evade or escape from, as by daring, cleverness, or skill: The suspect continues to elude the police.
To escape the understanding or grasp of: a name that has always eluded me; a metaphor that eluded them

Posting random crap on the internet: $.0001
Linking to Drudge: $0.00

Misusing vocabularly when calling someone an idiot: priceless

:P
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Wrong word, fine :)

He's still an idiot if he thinks I want the threat level raised.

As to your other shit, I could care less.

The headline on Drudge said that the tape was authenticated. When I first posted the link I hadn't read it, I had only read what matt wrote. The link wouldn't come up for me.

Then I acknowledged, after it was pointed out. Get the hell over it.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

The CIA and FBI late Wednesday authenticated a disturbing new al Qaeda videotape which warns the next terror attack will dwarf 9/11.

"The streets will run with blood," and "America will mourn in silence" because they will be unable to count the number of the dead, a man claims on the video.

Further claims on the video: America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush who has made war on Islam by destroying the Taliban and making war on Al Qaeda.

ABCNEWS obtained the tape from a source in Waziristan, Pakistan over the weekend. The network has withheld airing it, initially citing concerns over its authenticity.

One senior federal official alleged ABCNEWS is now holding back from broadcasting any portion of the video out of fear it will be seen as a political move by the network during election week.

One ABC source, who demanded anonymity, said Thursday morning, the network was struggling to find a correct journalistic "balance."

"This is not something you just throw out there while people are voting," the ABC source explained.

A second ABC source told DRUDGE Thursday morning: "ABCNEWS has shared this tape with both the CIA and the FBI as part of our reporting process. ABC News is committed to accurate, credible and complete journalism and is applying the same scrutiny to this tape that we apply to all raw information. ABCNEWS continues to report this story aggressively."

MORE

The terrorist's face is concealed by a headdress, and he speaks in an American accent, making it difficult to identify the individual.

The tape appears to be from al-Qaeda's media liaison organization. It has a banner crediting the Sahab Production Committee. The speaker refers to Bin Ladin and Zawahiri as "our leaders" and praises the 11 September attacks.

Intelligence officials believe:

Videotape message likely produced in late summer '04 due to references to current events such as the 9/11 Commission.

Individual is college educated, either American born or raised in the U.S.

The U.S. is actively seeking to identify the individual. Adam Gadhan - aka Adam Pearlman of Southern California - remains the chief candidate but another still unknown individual may be possible.

Pearlman was highlighted by the FBI in May as an individual most likely to be involved in or have knowledge of the next al Qaeda attacks.

US intelligence officials say the danger is that if this individual is an American citizen, he will be immersed in the culture and customs and have the ability to travel in America freely and unnoticed.

Developing...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2004
Not for reproduction without permission of the author
Did you miss that? If it's true or not is up in the air and I understand that.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Wait a minute.

al-Qaeda wants to kill Americans?

HOLY SHIT.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My response is shorter than Exodor's!

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Individual is college educated, either American born or raised in the U.S.

The U.S. is actively seeking to identify the individual. Adam Gadhan - aka Adam Pearlman of Southern California - remains the chief candidate but another still unknown individual may be possible.

Pearlman was highlighted by the FBI in May as an individual most likely to be involved in or have knowledge of the next al Qaeda attacks.

US intelligence officials say the danger is that if this individual is an American citizen, he will be immersed in the culture and customs and have the ability to travel in America freely and unnoticed.
What is that saying about making sure your own house is in order...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noun

Post by noun »

The obvious solution would be to invade and destroy all US colleges ASAP to keep them from producing any more terrorists. While we're at it, let's hunt down and imprison anyone with more than two years of college under their belts.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Meal wrote:My response is shorter than Exodor's!

~Neal

That's not the only thing...

Ba-da-bing! Thank you, I'm here all week!

:P
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The streets will run with blood. Isn't that what Saddam said back in 1991 before we kicked his nation's ass? Yeah I'm real scared. You would think these guys could afford to hire better writers.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I'm sure the translation is pretty brutal.

I do agree though, they need to work on their threatening metaphors. I think some homosexual rape references is sorely needed.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/28/terror.tape/index.html

After a technical analysis, the CIA cannot determine whether a videotape obtained by ABC News in Pakistan featuring a man claiming to be affiliated with al Qaeda is authentic, a U.S. intelligence official said Thursday.

"We have been unable to verify the tape's authenticity," the official said.

Portions of the 75-minute tape were aired Thursday evening by ABC News, which said it obtained the tape from a source known to have Taliban and al Qaeda contacts in the tribal regions of Pakistan.

ABC said it paid the source $500 in transportation fees.

A U.S. official said there were "real questions about its authenticity."

By that, the official said, he meant that it was not clear whether the tape was prepared by someone affiliated with al Qaeda and taking orders from its leaders, or whether it was a hoax.

With the presidential election just days away, officials are wary of a possible trick by an impostor.

"Without being able to authenticate it, it's just some guy talking on a tape," the U.S. intelligence official said.

On the tape, a man calling himself "Azzam the American" threatens terror attacks "at any moment," delivering the message in English. His face is covered with a headdress and he holds a rifle.

"People of America: I remind you of the weighty words of our leaders, Sheikh Osama bin Laden and Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri, that what took place on September 11th was but the opening salvo of the global war on America," he says. "And that, Allah willing, the magnitude and ferocity of what is coming your way will make you forget all about September 11th."

A U.S. government official said the tape did not mention any means, mode or place of an attack.

Sources said copies of the tape were given to President Bush, Attorney General John Ashcroft, FBI Director Robert Mueller, former CIA Director George Tenet and nine other officials mentioned by name on the tape.

A U.S. intelligence official said the voice on the tape "does not match anyone we know of" who has been identified as being affiliated with al Qaeda.

The official said the tape was made in recent months, since it referred to the humanitarian crisis in Darfur, the same sex-marriage controversy in Massachusetts, and the report of the 9/11 commission.

The tape included a graphic indicating it was produced by the "Sahab Production Committee," which is the same as that seen on a number of authenticated al Qaeda tapes.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell