Can we get a Smoove wellness check?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: Can we get a Smoove wellness check?

Post by Octavious »

hepcat wrote:
Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:30 pm No I'm his brother lol. He's fine as far as I know. We have lunch thing for my dad this weekend so I can confirm he's alive.
What's his safeword so we know you're not lying.
Serious people
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

that's two words. i suspect something is afoot. :think:
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Very serious people
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:D

Nice.

Well, tell your brother that he should come back to the five and dime that is OO.

Although I took a year off once myself. Sometimes unplugging is the best way to recalibrate.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya well yelling about politics daily isn't healthy. Probably could use a break. I've been paying less attention lately as it's not like I have a question about who I'm voting for. ;)

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 pm Ya well yelling about politics daily isn't healthy. Probably could use a break.
Aye
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 pm Ya well yelling about politics daily isn't healthy. Probably could use a break. I've been paying less attention lately as it's not like I have a question about who I'm voting for. ;)
Oh for Christ’s sake. How many times does Vermin Supreme have to lose before you give up on that pipe dream?
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not much in on the R&P inside jokes, but I'm assuming that is one. :lol:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How can you not know of the great Vermin Supreme?

He’s the hero we need AND want.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks, all.

I've been shouting into the void pretty much daily for 4+ years now and, well, I guess I'm tired. It's still profoundly weird and making it worse (somehow) is that people in the field that I personally know and respect - people much smarter than I'll ever be - have seemingly moved on. So either I'm missing something or they are. Hell, maybe we both are; I honestly don't know anymore. I hesitate to use the term "moral injury" based on its historical and typical current use, but when I read the descriptions, it's exactly how I feel.

I think the news about my dog somehow just pushed me over the edge that I've been straddling for years. I'm pretty good about self-care, but it's been tough the last month, I guess. I do appreciate y'all checking in. If the weather would just cooperate, I could get back to biking away my feelings, but the change back to 30s and low 40s is also not helping.

And yes, if something were to ever happen, RM9 and/or Trent would be able to communicate that eventually - even if it's only to confirm I'm now managing a Cinnabon somewhere near Mahone Bay.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Some days, you must feel like Gregory (from Marc Hempel) and his very own Vermin Supreme -- Hermin Vermin.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:09 pm It's still profoundly weird and making it worse (somehow) is that people in the field that I personally know and respect - people much smarter than I'll ever be - have seemingly moved on. So either I'm missing something or they are. Hell, maybe we both are;
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:48 pm but I keep thinking about all the stuff I (we've) missed over the last 5 years and for what?
i know this is all personal decisions and whatnot, but here's what i do:

1) i go out, and if it's even _somewhat_ crowded indoors, i wear a KN95
2) highly crowded indoors, i avoid or wear my elastomer respirator
3) i bring a portable air purifier when in high-risk areas (like on a plane) - i use this one https://hellowynd.com/collections/all/p ... 9312440593
4) i recently (like in the past two months) started using Profi https://coolhunting.com/buy/profi-nasal-spray/ to add an additional railguard when in high-risk areas (on vacation, on a plane, so on and so forth)

plus the usual common sense procedures, keeping up to date on vaccinations and so forth.

i have contracted C-19 once - that was last September, when my last vaccination/booster had well waned and i was not conscientious about mask wearing. yeah it sucked, but i got on Paxlovid immediately and eventually recovered with no ill-lasting effects (_that i know of_). on the flip side, i have not missed out on any events i've wanted to attend in the past two years.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stessier wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:44 pm I mean, I've never seen Exodor and Octavious in the same room at the same time...
I've only met a few OO/GGers and none of them post anymore.

Coincidence? You decide. :ninja:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 pm Ya well yelling about politics daily isn't healthy. Probably could use a break. I've been paying less attention lately as it's not like I have a question about who I'm voting for. ;)
Is it me? I feel like even with my drain bamage I'd do a decent job.
I'll even pluck from OO for my cabinet members!
And if we have any carpenters I'll hire them to exclusively make the cabinets!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Who's going to be your secretary of labor?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:09 am Who's going to be your secretary of labor?
One of us that are on disability.
Smoove would be in charhe of cdc or whatever highest medical position there is.
Imlawboy would obviously attorney general.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Exodor wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 am
stessier wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:44 pm I mean, I've never seen Exodor and Octavious in the same room at the same time...

I....<sudden silence>
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:43 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:09 am Who's going to be your secretary of labor?
Izzy can be the Postmeister General.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exodor wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 am

So you're a serial killer? Cool cool cool.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:09 pm Thanks, all.

I've been shouting into the void pretty much daily for 4+ years now and, well, I guess I'm tired. It's still profoundly weird and making it worse (somehow) is that people in the field that I personally know and respect - people much smarter than I'll ever be - have seemingly moved on. So either I'm missing something or they are. Hell, maybe we both are; I honestly don't know anymore. I hesitate to use the term "moral injury" based on its historical and typical current use, but when I read the descriptions, it's exactly how I feel.

I think the news about my dog somehow just pushed me over the edge that I've been straddling for years. I'm pretty good about self-care, but it's been tough the last month, I guess. I do appreciate y'all checking in. If the weather would just cooperate, I could get back to biking away my feelings, but the change back to 30s and low 40s is also not helping.

And yes, if something were to ever happen, RM9 and/or Trent would be able to communicate that eventually - even if it's only to confirm I'm now managing a Cinnabon somewhere near Mahone Bay.
I get you. It's hard. I have very little social life outside of hosting poker anymore because being someone who still takes it all seriously is just so outside of the norm. It probably doesn't help to know that some of us are still listening, but we are. Solidarity, brother.

Very sorry about your dog. {hugs}
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We did get some good news this morning, namely that the cancer hasn't spread. This moves the window from 3-6 months to 6-12 months, assuming she responds to the meds well enough. We're all still in shock, but at least the window to process everything has opened a bit wider. I'm still trying to comprehend that month has passed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:46 am
Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:43 am
Izzy can be the Postmeister General.
:dance:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:52 pm We did get some good news this morning, namely that the cancer hasn't spread. This moves the window from 3-6 months to 6-12 months, assuming she responds to the meds well enough. We're all still in shock, but at least the window to process everything has opened a bit wider. I'm still trying to comprehend that month has passed.
:dance:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote:We did get some good news this morning, namely that the cancer hasn't spread. This moves the window from 3-6 months to 6-12 months, assuming she responds to the meds well enough. We're all still in shock, but at least the window to process everything has opened a bit wider. I'm still trying to comprehend that month has passed.
:( We lost our cat in August to cancer and it was heart breaking. Sorry dude.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:09 pm Thanks, all.

So sorry to hear about your dog. Glad to hear you're hanging in there. I managed to get a good bike ride in this weekend as the weather finally let up. More rain expected out here Wed-Sun tho, so I may be on the indoor exercise bike.

Take care!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Also add I'm very sorry about your dog. Pet ownership is so awesome and heart wrenching at the same time.

And thank you always being there for our COVID and epidemic questions. You have been a huge help to me and I appreciate the frontline fight that you're doing. Unfortunately, people are just freaking stupid.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There’s some sanity to be saved in knowing which battles you can still fight and which ones you’ll lose more of yourself than you care to risk/admit. Hang in there, Smoove.

Just imagine, people once lived in a world where they didn’t have refrigeration or clean water. Some still do.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon