Recommendations for good noise cancelling headphones?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Recommendations for good noise cancelling headphones?

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm in the market for some good noise cancelling headphones.We seem to have more children in the neighborhood than ever before and since we have a half-circle driveway with a sloping ends they delight in riding around it on bikes and skateboard making noises that are apparently human. Me, I'd prefer to just put up razor wire and attack dogs, but the wife thinks that's anti-social and besides don't think it would be easy to get the bloodstains out of the concrete...

Seriously though, I'm looking for some good quality, effective noise cancelling headphones. I have a cheap pair that are good to block something steady state like a lawnmower, but not so good for little girls screeching at the top of their lungs (why do they do that?). I have an Amazon gift card so I'm looking to spend the money there. Quality and effectiveness are much more important that price at this point :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Re: Recommendations for good noise cancelling headphones?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have a pair of over-ears at work from Blackweb that I enjoy. I believe it was in the <= $100 range.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I should clarify that I'm not looking for headphones to play music, although that would be OK, but primary for their ability to cancel outside noises. I like to read in the afternoons in my room which (sadly) fronts the driveway.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perhaps a new gravel driveway is in order.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One thing to consider is that most actual audio headphones are designed to block outside sound while being used to listen to something, not while just sitting there on your ears. Many that cancel noise effectively while playing something do very little to block noise if you're not. If you're not going to be listening to music/shows/gaming, you'd probably have to rely more on passive noise cancellation (something is covering your ear, preventing noise from getting in) vs active (the system detects sounds and counters them with equal-and-opposite sounds, effectively cancelling both.)

Have you considered either good quality earplugs or a set of shooting muffs?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Play a horror film. A few sounds of terror coming through an open window will drive those children away for good.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:16 pm One thing to consider is that most actual audio headphones are designed to block outside sound while being used to listen to something, not while just sitting there on your ears. Many that cancel noise effectively while playing something do very little to block noise if you're not. If you're not going to be listening to music/shows/gaming, you'd probably have to rely more on passive noise cancellation (something is covering your ear, preventing noise from getting in) vs active (the system detects sounds and counters them with equal-and-opposite sounds, effectively cancelling both.)
That's why he needs something specifically with active noise cancellation (ANC) which is designed to work whether or not you are listening to music. Bose or Sony would be the top brands to consider. I don't know the model numbers, though, last time we bought noise-cancelling headphones was before COVID, and those were Sony on sale at Costco.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Do you have Kindle Unlimited. If so this is free from Amazon:

Best noise canceling headphones.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think you need ANC headphones. Here is Sony's description of what to expect.. If you are trying to block kids playing, I suspect they will make the screams clearer. I agree that you should try ear protection - this lowers all sounds. I use ones like these when mowing the lawn or trying to sleep when we have company and they work great.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
SpiderRelax

Post by SpiderRelax »

I would recommend the Sony WH-1000XM4. These headphones consistently receive high praise for their exceptional noise-canceling capabilities, superior sound quality, and overall comfort. They offer advanced features such as adaptive sound control and speak-to-chat, which automatically pause music when you start speaking. Additionally, the long battery life ensures that you can enjoy uninterrupted listening sessions. Overall, the Sony WH-1000XM4 would be an excellent choice for effectively blocking out noise while providing an immersive audio experience. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I suggest you read this.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Or, perhaps what are called ‘earmuffs’ (not for warmth) that are for all noise - like a shooting range, etc
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found this article useful: Ultimate Guide to Choosing Best Noise Cancelling Headphones (2022)
Today many headphone models boast being noise cancelling, but some do it better than the others. And companies are often inconsistent while labeling their headphones as noise cancelling depending on the context.

That’s why it’s important to understand what is noise cancellation and how do noise cancelling headphones work before your purchase.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I got these about a month ago Srhythym Nicecomfort 95

I like them. I like them lots.

They are comfy on my head, and don't squash my ears.

The noise cancel works. I never had active noise cancel before, but by golly it really works. I use these in the pub while doing my thing, and it makes the bar chatter and music sound muted and hushed. but when I take them off HOLY SHIT ITS REALLY LOUD IN HERE HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT!!!

this pair has a button and a knob. an actual turning the knob for volume up and down, with a satisfying click the knob for on-off. There is also a button for switching noise cancelling on and off.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With one surgery completed, a trip to NJ to visit my wife's relatives next month and then another surgery, I decided to indulge myself and got a set of Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones. Very nice.