Note-taking apps...need a new one/RIP Evernote

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Note-taking apps...need a new one/RIP Evernote

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interested in hearing what you guys use for notes. I've just hit peak frustration with Evernote, which I have paid for and used for more than a decade (and loved until recently). Won't go into the details, but I think what happened with Evernote is "enshittification". It's no longer the rock solid app it was, and I'm ready to jump.

Since my whole life is basically in there, I need something that will import from Evernote. Also, I don't use any of the bells and whistles of Evernote, and never have (nor have I needed to/wanted to), so I think I can be happy with a very simple solution.

I guess my wishlist in order is:
1. Easy importation of notes from EN
2. Works on both iOS and Windows
3. Will be around for more than a year, so I don't have to go through this again
4. Low probability of enshiitfication (LOL! How can that be predicted! :( )

Have read about: Note Joy, Obisidian and Joplin so far. Just from reading alone, am leaning toward Joplin but have tried none of these.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Note-taking apps...need a new one/RIP Evernote

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I use OneNote. But I use the old 2016 desktop version. The App/Windows 2010 version is inferior but it works overall.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've used OneNote for many years. It like it, and it's free. The internet tells me there's an IOS version. Apparently there is a importing tool for Evernote as well.

But it's Microsoft, so enshittification is built-in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 pm I've used OneNote for many years. It like it, and it's free. The internet tells me there's an IOS version. Apparently there is a importing tool for Evernote as well.

I'm curious - there's no ads that I'm aware of. What part of Onenote do you feel is enshittified?

I'm not as fond of the app as the actual desktop software, whether that is a standalone office version 2016-current or the always up to date O365 version. But I use it for nearly everything from work to recipes to travel.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:10 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 pm I've used OneNote for many years. It like it, and it's free. The internet tells me there's an IOS version. Apparently there is a importing tool for Evernote as well.

I'm curious - there's no ads that I'm aware of. What part of Onenote do you feel is enshittified?

I'm not as fond of the app as the actual desktop software, whether that is a standalone office version 2016-current or the always up to date O365 version. But I use it for nearly everything from work to recipes to travel.
Oh, nothing in particular (although the constant "Subscribe to Microsoft 365" taking up a chunk of the top bar is annoying.) It's more of a statement of distrust in Microsoft. They're not the type to release anything for free unless they've got something more planned or in place.

In other words, Microsoft is implied enshittification in and of itself.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

No idea on the computer. I have way too many important notes regarding medical that i need on my pc and never qrealky got into onenote.
I currently use ColorNote on my Galaxy phone and like it.
It has cloud saves and transfers which is useful if you have to switch phones.

Doesn't look like there is any import option but I could be missing it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Obsidian? https://obsidian.md/ (tho it looks like having sync between devices is a paid feature at $8/month)

and yes, they support Evernote import: https://help.obsidian.md/import/evernote
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have OneNote on my phone, my tablet, and four PCs. I love that anything I add to one is instantly available on the others.

If I have an idea while I'm out, I tap it into my phone. When I go shopping, I type the list on my PC with tick boxes, the open it on my phone when I get to the store. If I see an interesting article on miniature painting on OO in the living room, I copy it into OneNote, then open it when I'm painting in the bedroom from that PC. When I was actively running D&D, I'd run almost entirely out of OneNote, setting it up on my desktop, then running it from my laptop at the table.

Obviously many other options have this same functionality, but people underestimate how much more utility it has over other methods.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:35 pm I have OneNote on my phone, my tablet, and four PCs. I love that anything I add to one is instantly available on the others.

If I have an idea while I'm out, I tap it into my phone. When I go shopping, I type the list on my PC with tick boxes, the open it on my phone when I get to the store. If I see an interesting article on miniature painting on OO in the living room, I copy it into OneNote, then open it when I'm painting in the bedroom from that PC. When I was actively running D&D, I'd run almost entirely out of OneNote, setting it up on my desktop, then running it from my laptop at the table.

Obviously many other options have this same functionality, but people underestimate how much more utility it has over other methods.
I have a bunch of notes in Colornote.
How does 1note handle this? Mine has a nice clean simple list that i can pin important stuff to the top like meds and med history.
I NEED something simple and clean like that for most things.
I DO like the idea of syncing between devices though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:40 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:35 pm I have OneNote on my phone, my tablet, and four PCs. I love that anything I add to one is instantly available on the others.

I have a bunch of notes in Colornote.
How does 1note handle this? Mine has a nice clean simple list that i can pin important stuff to the top like meds and med history.
I NEED something simple and clean like that for most things.
I DO like the idea of syncing between devices though.

Not knowing how Colornote works, I'm not sure what you're asking.

OneNote is as clean and simple as you choose to make it. Each notebook has section tabs, and each section tab has a sort of automated index on the side (so if you make a new page, it is added to the 'index' automatically.) Each page functions like a word processor sheet, plus it has the ability to draw, to embed videos, to paste images, etc. It's got a lot of flexibility when it comes to storing and sorting information - but only as much complexity as you choose to give it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is Evernote how you keep track of your quests on Everquest?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I used to use OneNote, but I no longer subscribe to Office 365, so I just use the Samsung note app on my phone. Not a lot of features, but I rarely need it for more than a shopping list these days.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've always just sent notes to myself via text messages. Seems to work for me.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I use the note built in to the IPhone. I do wish IOS for iphone had easier native import/export functions. I tend to us VLC to move media but that doesn't work for IOS files.

I use notepad on my main computer. I'd think about using a google app but I already allow google to analyze and sell coordinated data too much.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:48 pm I used to use OneNote, but I no longer subscribe to Office 365, so I just use the Samsung note app on my phone. Not a lot of features, but I rarely need it for more than a shopping list these days.
FWIW, I have never found myself missing any feature that requires a subscription. I'm not even sure what the subscription nets you other than the extra cloud space. I use the Android version plus "OneNote" (previously called OneNote 2016.) The version that's baked in to Windows 10 is a different version.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Ok. Was going to give onenote a try but I can't even figure out how to rename notebooks or pages.
I'm sure I'm missing something.
Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Punisher wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:35 am Ok. Was going to give onenote a try but I can't even figure out how to rename notebooks or pages.
To rename a notebook, right click and select properties. To rename a page, right click and select rename.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The page title (on the left, highlighted) is always the same as the underlined heading at the top of the page.

To rename a tab, just double-click on it.

It's a Microsoft/Office related product, so most standard interactions apply - about 90% of the time, the answer is to click it or right click it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gbasden wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:40 am
Punisher wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:35 am Ok. Was going to give onenote a try but I can't even figure out how to rename notebooks or pages.
To rename a notebook, right click and select properties. To rename a page, right click and select rename.
Sorry. Forgot to clarify.
This is on my phone sibce it's where i need most of my notes so no right click and holding doesn't seem to work.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:01 pm
This is on my phone sibce it's where i need most of my notes so no right click and holding doesn't seem to work.
What I said about the page heading applies there, too. Just change the heading to change the title.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 pm
What I said about the page heading applies there, too. Just change the heading to change the title.
Thats the part I'm having trouble with.
I cant see a way to do that. There isn't a rename option. Long oress just gives a delete option.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Punisher wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm Thats the part I'm having trouble with.
I cant see a way to do that. There isn't a rename option. Long oress just gives a delete option.
If you look at this tutorial on YouTube - at 1:37 he's showing how to rename a section. Does it not give you a rename icon next to the delete icon when you long press?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gilraen wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:53 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm Thats the part I'm having trouble with.
If you look at this tutorial on YouTube - at 1:37 he's showing how to rename a section. Does it not give you a rename icon next to the delete icon when you long press?
Ugh.. I feel stupid... in my defense I dont recall ever seeing a rename icon looking like that...
Thanks
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just responding to changing the titles of pages. There's no need to long press or look for an option for individual pages. Just change the text at the top of the page itself.

Enlarge Image
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Yeah i was trying to change the notebook and section titles to get more organized.
So notebook>medical info
Under there 2 sections. 1 called history and one called meds.
I couldn't change any of them from the default names which wasn't going to help.
I didn't realize that weird icon next to delete on long press was rename. It didn't look familar at all...