Need to replace P/S (was 600W) what to buy?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Need to replace P/S (was 600W) what to buy?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Need to replace P/S, put it off already. P/S works fine, but the fan inside is rattling. The PC is from a few years ago, it's got an Asrock Z370 mainboard with RTX2070, so it doesn't have super requirements.

Right now I'm looking at Raidmax Vortex RX700AC, which is a SLIGHT upgrade, and it's only $45 at Newegg. Seems to be what I need? Comments?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: Need to replace P/S (was 600W) what to buy?

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of it. I always tried to buy the best power supply I could afford when building my pcs. Name brand with great rep and higher power to last through upgrades. I dont recall ever paying more than about $125 if that. The last two I bought were Corsairs probably made by Seasonic. One was a 750w the nest was 850w..This was last bought about 10 years ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know the brand (although I recognize the name), but a solid, stable, consistent power supply can be one of the most important components of the system. A poor one can throw everything into chaos, and can even ruin other components. Dig deeply into the reviews if you go with an unknown brand.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I checked the estimated power consumption of my PC and it's only about 400-450W. 600W P/S is already overbuilt, apparently (i7-9700K, RTX2060, SSD and HD, some RAM)

So current favorite is Thermaltake Smart 600W (ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V 80 Plus for $45, plus $4 shipping. This has 515 reviews in the 4.5/5 range on Newegg, which seems to indicate this is pretty good.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've had good luck with Thermaltake. PS wattage requirements are only going up though with newer video cards.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

gbasden wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:26 am I've had good luck with Thermaltake. PS wattage requirements are only going up though with newer video cards.
My current is a DDR4 Z370 mainboard. I doubt I'm keeping this system another 3-5 years by upgrading internals. I'll probably buy another one when it's time to upgrade.