Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair [PC/Xbox/GameCube/PS2]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair [PC/Xbox/GameCube/PS2]

Post by Hipolito »

You remember Dragon's Lair. The arcade game that blew your mind because it was like playing a cartoon. Don Bluth's animation had Dirk the Daring die in many hilarious ways while trying to save Princess Daphne. The game always drew a crowd when someone was good at it. I even remember seeing a version that had a second monitor on top of the cabinet, so that if there was too much of a crowd near the player, you could still watch the game from a distance.

Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair is a 2002 reimagining in a Tomb Raider-style game. You once again have to rescue Daphne from the dragon, and will face familiar obstacles and enemies such as giant rolling balls and the black knight's electrified floor.

Enlarge Image

But instead of just pushing a joystick and a sword button, you run around in full 3D environments. You can jump and hoist yourself up ledges, crouch and roll, and even use some magic spells to negotiate more advanced obstacles. You can also switch your sword with a crossbow to shoot enemies from a distance.

I learned about this game from this Quarter to Three post (by a fellow who I think used to post here too). Then I bought it for $12 on eBay.

It ran well on my 2008-built Windows XP retro PC, though I spent some time reconfiguring the controls. The one technical issue I couldn't clear up was the audio. It's positional audio, and there's apparently no way to make it normal stereo. As a result, on my headphones, sound effects and music were sometimes too quiet.

The game retains its cel-shaded look (Don Bluth again contributed some animation work) as you move through the castle. The sound effects will be familar to arcade fans, from Dirk's hoots and yelps to Daphne's squeaky voice. Even the music composer is the same as the arcade's and provides good epic fantasy tunes.

The platform jumping isn't as refined and responsive as in the original Tomb Raider, but it isn't bad. The controls really sucked, though, when it came to the fire arrow puzzle room:

Enlarge Image

In this room, the camera has a fixed perspective, making the once-reliable controls complete garbage. I knew what I had to do, but it probably took a hundred attempts to pull it off.

The combat can be hairy when you're facing multiple enemies. Fortunately, the game is generous with health, mana, checkpoints, and game saves. You can't save during boss battles, though, which can be very frustrating. I used a video walkthrough more than once to learn how to win them.

The game has a few humorous moments. One of my favorite sight gags was this:
Spoiler:
When you unlock a door, instead of the door opening, the entire wall around it falls over to let you pass. Even Dirk yelped and jumped in surprise.
The plot even features a nicely done twist. But the game is often hall after hall of trap-filled platforming puzzles without any cutscenes to break them up, which gets tiring.

Enlarge Image

The ending was fun, though, and the end credits features this:
Spoiler:
The ending credits is a music video featuring an original song sung by Daphne and a montage of scenes from this game, the original arcade game, and the singer recording the song in studio. Despite the cheesy Hannah Montana-ness of it all, this 50-year-old man was dancing in his chair!
I don't consider this game a must-play, but I'm glad I experienced it. It was fun despite its issues. It's a classic game properly remade with modern gameplay aesthetics, enhanced by the contributions of people who made the original. Should you go through the trouble of hunting for a copy? Maybe so if you love the original Dragon's Lair and Tomb Raider-style games.
GreenGoo

Re: Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair [PC/Xbox/GameCube/PS2]

Post by GreenGoo »

Very cool!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played it on the PC back when it came out. I remember enjoying it, but not much else about it.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For a minute there, I thought they were returning to Dragon's Lair in a new game to be published, and I thought, wow that's a kind of out of the left field thing to bring back.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti