RIP Toby Keith

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

RIP Toby Keith

Post by McNutt »

Dead at 62 from stomach cancer.

He had a few toe tappers. My favorite was Cryin' for Me, which was written about the death of his friend Waymon Tisdale.
Zenn7

Re: RIP Toby Keith

Post by Zenn7 »

Wow... he was just getting back on touring, having supposedly recovered some and started to feel better from from issues that forced him to stop a couple years ago.

Guess he wasn't as recovered as he thought :(
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I like a lot of his songs. One of the good things about Toby Keith was that he wasn't political for one side or the other. He walked right down the middle. Heck he even wrote a song about divisive politics and the need to find more common ground as Americans.
FTE
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I shall have a toast in his memory with a red solo cup. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I liked some of his songs but my memory of him is all patriotic stuff from after 9/11 and I"m not sure how I'd feel about hearing it now.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:02 pm I liked some of his songs but my memory of him is all patriotic stuff from after 9/11 and I"m not sure how I'd feel about hearing it now.
He had one popular song about 9/11, but I would call most of his stuff country party/bar songs. In other words songs to drink and have to.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kris Kristofferson had some thoughts on the "Star":
“Don’t ‘What?’ me, boy! You heard the question. You just don’t like the answer.” He paused just long enough to get a full chest of air. “I asked, ‘Have you ever served your country?’ The answer is, no, you have not. Have you ever killed another man? Huh? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not. So shut the fuck up!” I could feel his body pulsing with anger next to me. “You don’t know what the hell you are talking about!”
That kinda squares with my memories of Toby Keith (I didn't and don't follow the country music scene), so I'll just leave it there.

Also F cancer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife and I were big fans of his older stuff. Listened to it a lot when we were dating. I think I started tuning out after 9/11 when he started creating the patriotic treacle that was coming out of the country music genre at the time. I used to tell my wife all the time that Toby Keith never saw a bumper sticker he couldn't make a song out of, as his stuff often borrowed heavily from witty catchphrases.

I haven't listened to his music in years so I can't say the loss really shook me at all, but 62 is still far too young.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Totally unexpected. I knew he hahd been sick and he looked terrible like old age has suddenly jumped up and bit him right in the face. Didn't know he was this sick.

I loved his country songs pre political stuff. Like I Love This Bar and As Good As I Once Was and his early stuff like How Do Ya Like Me Now and I Wanna Talk About Me . I even liked his proud American 911 song. But I didn't hear or listen to the rest.

RIP man.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:04 pm Kris Kristofferson had some thoughts on the "Star":
“Don’t ‘What?’ me, boy! You heard the question. You just don’t like the answer.” He paused just long enough to get a full chest of air. “I asked, ‘Have you ever served your country?’ The answer is, no, you have not. Have you ever killed another man? Huh? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not. So shut the fuck up!” I could feel his body pulsing with anger next to me. “You don’t know what the hell you are talking about!”
That kinda squares with my memories of Toby Keith (I didn't and don't follow the country music scene), so I'll just leave it there.

Also F cancer.
Ditto

My respect for Kristofferson seems to grow every time I hear a new anecdote about him though.
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:13 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:04 pm Kris Kristofferson had some thoughts on the "Star":

Also F cancer.
Ditto

My respect for Kristofferson seems to grow every time I hear a new anecdote about him though.
Kristofferson is such a badass.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Went to his "I love this Bar & Grill" in OKC once when we were out there - it was pretty fun, but I think that may be the only song I know. RIP.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.