Non-Hot Sauce Condiments

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Non-Hot Sauce Condiments

Post by Isgrimnur »

On the recommendation off of reddit, I ordered some Henderson's Relish.
Our blend of tamarinds, cayenne peppers, vinegar, garlic and cloves adds a unique spicy flavour to any meal.

Henderson’s Relish is approved by the Vegetarian Society as suitable for vegans, and is gluten free.
Tried it on some rice and some green beans last night and it was ... fine, I guess.

Not something I was looking for, or that I'd care to have around in the future. Perhaps one has to be from the Sheffield area to like it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Re: Non-Hot Sauce Condiments

Post by mori »

If you are going Blighty on us then it is HP Brown Sauce. Beans are just not right without brown sauce.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Most relishes are too sweet for me. For pickle relish, I like Wickles. Only ever found it once though; my supermarket has Wickles pickles but didn't restock the relish (yet, anyway). For pepper relish, I like Uncle Maynard's.

I'm not a big relish fan, though. I'm more of a mustard guy. I don't have a particular favorite, but I've never met a mustard I didn't like. Except honey mustard. Too damned sweet.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I love me some green tobasco.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:09 pm I love me some green tobasco.
Me too. Goes great with canned chicken, hotdogs, tacos, and many other items. Very low heat if any but tons of jalapeno flavor. I wish Tabasco would make a Poblano pepper version.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pretty sure that Green Tabasco belongs in the other thread.

On topic for this thread, I like any mustard that isn't sweet. And I'd love a good relish that wasn't sweet. Most of them seem to lean that way.

We are partial to banana peppers (I'm including them, though I'm not sure if they would technically count as a condiment; but they aren't too far off relish). I have found that banana peppers can be pretty overpowering though, less is better.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:34 pm Pretty sure that Green Tabasco belongs in the other thread.

On topic for this thread, I like any mustard that isn't sweet. And I'd love a good relish that wasn't sweet. Most of them seem to lean that way.

We are partial to banana peppers (I'm including them, though I'm not sure if they would technically count as a condiment; but they aren't too far off relish). I have found that banana peppers can be pretty overpowering though, less is better.
Check out the two relishes I linked above.

The salad bar that we patronize has pickled banana peppers. They are a wonderful salad topping. I like raw ones on pizza, too. I like them enough to grow some every summer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These are great with fried chicken. Also good with greens and green beans and such. Goes with other things too. Not hot.

Enlarge Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thai sweet chili sauce. I could literally pour it in a glass and drink it. I use it for chicken nugget dipping, fry dipping, just about anything you can get away with a sweeter condiment.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm Thai sweet chili sauce. I could literally pour it in a glass and drink it. I use it for chicken nugget dipping, fry dipping, just about anything you can get away with a sweeter condiment.
So what you're saying is that you're almost "Thai"? lol Not sure that counts as a non-hot sauce though. :lol: I love that stuff too!

Here are two sauces I really like. I wouldn't consider them hot, the horseradish just lights up the back of your head near the neck, and the mustard is more of a pucker thing than a hot thing. I have to figure something else to use the horseradish on as I never use it all before it expires.

Woeber's Sandwich Pal Horseradish Sauce

Enlarge Image

Inglehoffer Sweet Hot Mustard with Honey

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This non-hot-sauce thread has an awful lot of hot sauce in it (and some that are just hot sauce with lumps.)
em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:06 pm
Woeber's Sandwich Pal Horseradish Sauce

Enlarge Image
This is good stuff.
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:57 pm Most relishes are too sweet for me. For pickle relish, I like Wickles. Only ever found it once though; my supermarket has Wickles pickles but didn't restock the relish (yet, anyway).
I'm fond of that as well. We don't use it exclusively, but it sits next to the regular relish. Walmart carries it, FWIW.

For my own contribution:

Boar's Head honey mustard. It's still semi-sweet, but it's nice to have a honey mustard that tastes more like mustard than honey. Most are way, way too sweet and have absolutely no mustard kick.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like horseradish mustard. I like mustard so much I think it deserves its own thread, if not forum. Even boring old yellow mustard has its uses.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I loathe mustard. I think the flavor ruins almost everything it touches.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're confusing mustard with bacon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:text-banplz:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:34 pm Pretty sure that Green Tabasco belongs in the other thread.
It isn't hot, ergo this thread.

Just like decaffeinated coffee isn't 100% caffeine free, but you would be hard pressed to drink enough to get a buzz off it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:00 am
It isn't hot, ergo this thread.

Just like decaffeinated coffee isn't 100% caffeine free, but you would be hard pressed to drink enough to get a buzz off it.
You don’t get the kick here that you do with Tabasco red, and that’s to be expected based on the peppers used in each. Tabasco Original Red uses tabasco peppers (30,000 to 50,000 Scoville heat units), landing the red sauce in the 2,000 to 5,000 SHU range. Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce uses jalapeños (2,500 to 8,000 SHU), and that dilutes the spiciness down to 600 to 1,200 SHU.
Maybe it's not "hot", but it's still has heat. How much of an impact probably depends on the consumer and his or her tolerance. But it's made with jalapeños. And I still believe it belongs in the other thread. I suspect if you asked most people, they would say it is a "hot sauce" (note: this is a category, not a reflection on how hot).

But I guess I'll let the OP decide. Just seems like pretty quickly we are going to end up with one thread, which seems the opposite of the OP's intent.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hot sauce aficionados love to talk about how anything below their personal preference isn't hot at all. It's a sort of passive bragging.

It's hot sauce.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:30 am Hot sauce aficionados love to talk about how anything below their personal preference isn't hot at all. It's a sort of passive bragging.

It's hot sauce.
Yeah, Louisiana Hot Sauce is talked about in the hot sauce thread and that's basically just flavored vinegar. it may not have any heat from my perspective, but it's still a hot sauce.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:57 pm Most relishes are too sweet for me. For pickle relish, I like Wickles. Only ever found it once though; my supermarket has Wickles pickles but didn't restock the relish (yet, anyway). For pepper relish, I like Uncle Maynard's.

I'm not a big relish fan, though. I'm more of a mustard guy. I don't have a particular favorite, but I've never met a mustard I didn't like. Except honey mustard. Too damned sweet.
It's not relish like at all. It's a close cousin of Worcestershire sauce.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm On the recommendation off of reddit, I ordered some Henderson's Relish.
Our blend of tamarinds, cayenne peppers, vinegar, garlic and cloves adds a unique spicy flavour to any meal.

Henderson’s Relish is approved by the Vegetarian Society as suitable for vegans, and is gluten free.
Tried it on some rice and some green beans last night and it was ... fine, I guess.

Not something I was looking for, or that I'd care to have around in the future. Perhaps one has to be from the Sheffield area to like it.
Strong and Northern! I've got 4 bottles in the cupboard. I love it and I'm from southern California. As a vegan, it's a great substitute for Worcestershire sauce.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:31 pm I like horseradish mustard. I like mustard so much I think it deserves its own thread, if not forum. Even boring old yellow mustard has its uses.
Ditto. Lowensenf Hot German is my current crush.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Our local west coast supermarket is selling Maria’s Garlic Aoli. It goes good with everything.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Used this often until Publix stopping getting this flavor.

Ken's Steak House Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:34 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:57 pm Most relishes are too sweet for me. For pickle relish, I like Wickles. Only ever found it once though; my supermarket has Wickles pickles but didn't restock the relish (yet, anyway). For pepper relish, I like Uncle Maynard's.

Umm...wut? Those are very much relishes. It's right there in their name.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:46 pm I loathe mustard. I think the flavor ruins almost everything it touches.
There are reeducation camps for people like you. Or there should be.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:51 am

I was referring to Henderson's. Henderson's relish was mentioned, you said most relishes were too sweet for you and I said it's not like relish at all.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:03 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:51 am

You were referring to Henderson's right? It's not a relish like the ones you listed.
No, Wickles and Uncle Maynard are right there in my links. Henderson's is not.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So when you said relishes were too sweet for you, it didn't have anything to do with Isg mentioning a relish?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:56 am So when you said relishes were too sweet for you, it didn't have anything to do with Isg mentioning a relish?
Well, he brought up the subject, so yeah. I wasn't reacting to Henderson's though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sour cream. Its great on many items and I love to really pile it on on mexican dishes. I also cook with it in some casseroles and such. Also a great base for dips.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm On the recommendation off of reddit, I ordered some Henderson's Relish.
What was the reddit?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:52 pm
What was the reddit?
Lost to the annals of time.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think there's always going to be a gray area with sauces that have some spice but are designed more to add flavor than to add significant heat. I mean would you consider spicy ketchup a "hot sauce?"

I mean the OP has a condiment that uses cayenne peppers, which is the same exact peppers used in some sweet chili sauces.
RM2

Post by RM2 »

I like the versatility of mayonnaise, you can make so many things with it, egg salad, tuna salad, deviled eggs etc.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This was great back when I could get it too!

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce Raspberry Chipotle

Enlarge Image

It's almost like if I'm willing to actually pay something beyond generic prices for a condiment then that's going to be the one condiment they stop carrying. :doh:

Made up just a little for not having a Bennigan's serving Monte Cristos w/raspberry sauce anymore.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Mild salsa or plain Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ is about all the heat I would want (yeah, I know, there's no heat, but my wife can't even stand that much).

Ranch, Honey Mustard (sweet!) are both good. Sweet Relish. Sweet and sour, teriyaki. Anything not hot with garlic (but apparently garlic pours out of me and it offends my wife, so try not to overdue that much).

A while back, switched my standard dressing to Uncle Ken's Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion salad dressing. Lowest sodium dressing I could find (trying to keep blood pressure under control w/o meds) and I eat a LOT of salad (big salad for lunch most days, I go through about a bottle of dressing a week).

I like sweet and/or tangy things but no heat.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:54 pm A while back, switched my standard dressing to Uncle Ken's Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion salad dressing. Lowest sodium dressing I could find (trying to keep blood pressure under control w/o meds) and I eat a LOT of salad (big salad for lunch most days, I go through about a bottle of dressing a week).

I like sweet and/or tangy things but no heat.
Ken's Sweet Vidalia is my second favorite, and it's the one I can still get.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I actually bought a bottle of A1 steak sauce a few weeks ago. It was kind of a joke in our house when I was growing up, because if Dad reached for the A1, it meant he didn't like his steak. So I've always had a low opinion of A1. But I didn't buy it for steak. I bought it as a ketchup substitute for burgers. Five Guys taught me that a thin layer of A1 really shines on a cheeseburger.
mori

Post by mori »

That was my experience with steak sauce. Growing up my mother never met a protein she would not overcook. Needed some sort of sauce to help the dry meat slide down. Also needed at those cheap steak houses that were around back in the day. But I preferred Heinz 57 over A1.