Bands you like, but hate their biggest song

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Bands you like, but hate their biggest song

Post by McNutt »

What are bands you dig, but are too cool for their biggest hits?

Metallica - Enter Sandman.
I was really pumped when MTV was giving a countdown to Metallica's upcoming video. I was a huge fan of theirs back then and was really excited. Then I saw the video. I absolutely hated that song. Their previous two albums opened with Battery and Blackened. And now this???
It marked their transition from thrash metal to hard rock.

Honorable mention: Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O Mine.
I don't ever want to hear that opening again.
TheMix

Re: Bands you like, but hate their biggest song

Post by TheMix »

Interesting topic. I'm not sure.

I will say that I've never been a fan of Elvis' songs that sound too "Elvis-ish". I like the ones that don't sound so... obvious, I guess?

Most of the bands that I really like, I usually like their more popular/well-known stuff too.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I loves me some Queen but if I don't ever hear Bohemian Rhapsody again I'll be easy come, easy go. Zeppelin's Stairway makes me wonder and Skynyrd's Freebird just couldn't be the same. I don't HATE those songs but I have heard them enough for several lifetimes.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Queen is a perfect example for me. Bohemian Rhapsody is still okay if I'm in the right mood, but I can't stand We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, and We Are the Champions.
But when I start digging in to the non-overplayed songs there's a lot to like.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Queen II made me fall in love with Freddy. Keep yourself alive!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I have a great love for the Grateful Dead. Touch of Grey sucks balls.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had a friend who was a die-hard KISS fan but she hated "Rock n Roll All Nite" so much she'd leave the concert early to avoid that encore. :lol:

Likewise my brother loves Dave Matthews Band and has seen them in concert a dozen times, but he uses it as an excuse to hit the restroom every time they play "Ants Marching." :lol:

I'm finding it hard to come up with some personal examples. There are certainly popular songs from bands I like that are worn out, but I can't think of any I really hate.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't hate Enter Sandman but I can relate. It was one of the songs that got me into Metallica, but I quickly learned it paled in comparison to their awesome stuff. It's just overplayed.

The first one that jumps to mind for me is R.E.M. I hate It's The End Of The World As We Know It. It's so annoying! I never used to care for Orange Crush either (but now I love it... it was Rock Band that opened my mind to it, and the rest of the band). For years I thought I hated R.E.M., but as my tastes evolved I grew to love them. And technically, ITEOTWAWKI isn't their "biggest" song, but it's one of their five huge ones.

And a surprising one... Space Lord is what got me into Monster Magnet, and they eventually grew into one of my favourite bands. But Space Lord is kind of... mediocre. Powertrip (the album) really pushed them into the mainstream which was great, but while I still love the album (especially its title track) its pop hard rock is just so inferior to the more 70s/psychedelia/space rock inspired stuff on their lesser known records. It's such a crime they're considered a one-hit wonder by the mainstream.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love the Commodores. But I hate Brickhouse so much.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:03 am I loves me some Queen but if I don't ever hear Bohemian Rhapsody again I'll be easy come, easy go. Zeppelin's Stairway makes me wonder and Skynyrd's Freebird just couldn't be the same. I don't HATE those songs but I have heard them enough for several lifetimes.
Like a Jimi Hendrix national anthem, this was well played.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 am The first one that jumps to mind for me is R.E.M. I hate It's The End Of The World As We Know It. It's so annoying! I never used to care for Orange Crush either (but now I love it... it was Rock Band that opened my mind to it, and the rest of the band). For years I thought I hated R.E.M., but as my tastes evolved I grew to love them. And technically, ITEOTWAWKI isn't their "biggest" song, but it's one of their five huge ones.
I've been an REM fan from way back, and I've always felt like only their least-REM songs make it to radio.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:03 am I loves me some Queen but if I don't ever hear Bohemian Rhapsody again I'll be easy come, easy go.
that is probably a great example for me, but I don't hate that song, it just ranks near the bottom of all the great hits they had.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't stand Hey Jude, but some of the Beatles lesser known tracks really rock.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jaymann wrote:I can't stand Hey Jude, but some of the Beatles lesser known tracks really rock.
I love the Beatles and Paul McCartney, but he has no talent for freestying in a song on the mic. His screams in the second half of Hey Jude are awful.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I love Nine Inch Nails but absolutely hate “Closer”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

This happens to me with classic rock from artists I like ok but their most overplayed songs drive me insane.

Examples:
Billy Joel - Piano Man
Bob Seger- Old Time Rock and Roll
Lynard Skynard- Sweet Home Alabama
Queen - We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions

I wish to never hear these songs again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The main problem with classic rock radio is the playing of the same songs over and over again. Classic rock radio has ruined so many songs for me.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

So many options, most of them classic rock because as someone else said, the radio has overplayed these songs for decades. A few examples...

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Styx - Come Sail Way or Mr Roboto
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Tom Petty - American Girl
KISS - Rock and Roll All Night
The Eagles - Hotel California (good song, but burnt out)
Aerosmith - Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy
Weezer - Beverly Hills

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:28 pm
Jaymann wrote:I can't stand Hey Jude, but some of the Beatles lesser known tracks really rock.
I love the Beatles and Paul McCartney, but he has no talent for freestying in a song on the mic. His screams in the second half of Hey Jude are awful.
Wow. I could not disagree with this more. I love Paul’s screaming on the back end of Hey Jude . . . Different strokes, I guess.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I love the Cure but absolutely hate “Friday I’m in Love.”
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Okay, my answer is up thread. Styx’s Mr. Roboto is the answer. I have seen Styx many times in concert, since the 70’s, and I applaud the band getting rid of the lead singer if that’s the direction he wanted to take the music.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't know if I've ever really been in that situation before, but I feel the opposite side is true too. I've often liked a Single where I didn't care much for the rest of the material. I think that's because in certain cases the Singles that are chosen are not representative of a band as a whole, due to nature of trying to make them stand out. I've often experienced a kind of dissonance as a result. The ironic thing is that a successful single will signal a style shift for the next albums by trying to replicate that success.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:15 pm Okay, my answer is up thread. Styx’s Mr. Roboto is the answer. I have seen Styx many times in concert, since the 70’s, and I applaud the band getting rid of the lead singer if that’s the direction he wanted to take the music.
But he moved on and was part of Damn Yankees which was an awesome band for the whole two albums.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Kurth wrote:
McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:28 pm
Wow. I could not disagree with this more. I love Paul’s screaming on the back end of Hey Jude . . . Different strokes, I guess.
For me there is just something about his voice when he tries really hard like that. It doesn't work for me. He sort of does the same thing on Golden Slumbers. I love that song, but I cringe just a little each time.

And I hate saying that because I love McCartney so much.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:58 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:15 pm Okay, my answer is up thread. Styx’s Mr. Roboto is the answer. I have seen Styx many times in concert, since the 70’s, and I applaud the band getting rid of the lead singer if that’s the direction he wanted to take the music.
But he moved on and was part of Damn Yankees which was an awesome band for the whole two albums.
Wrong singer. Dennis DeYoung IIRC. Styx had 3 lead singers at one point. But I am not thinking of Tommy Shaw. DeYoung left the band to do his own music, which nobody ever has heard of.

As an aside, Shaw has some wonderful stuff on YouTube recorded with a high school orchestra.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've heard interviews with DeYoung and he sounded clueless about the appeal of his Broadway - styled songs. To him, that was definitely the only course for Styx and he wasn't going to hear otherwise. The band did not agree with his my-way-or-the-highway approach. It's a shame, because DeYoung did have some great stuff earlier on with the band.
mori

Post by mori »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm
mori wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:58 pm
Wrong singer. Dennis DeYoung IIRC. Styx had 3 lead singers at one point. But I am not thinking of Tommy Shaw. DeYoung left the band to do his own music, which nobody ever has heard of.

As an aside, Shaw has some wonderful stuff on YouTube recorded with a high school orchestra.
Thanks for the YouTube info and will definitely watch.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:41 pm The main problem with classic rock radio is the playing of the same songs over and over again. Classic rock radio has ruined so many songs for me.
This.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a very difficult topic for me to answer. I just cant think of a great band wit ha song I really hated. Some were better than others of course but off the top of my head I cant recall hating one. If I hated a song I usually disliked the band as well. Ill have to think on this and see what others post. maybe one of those would be it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:11 pm I love the Cure but absolutely hate “Friday I’m in Love.”
Same but sub "Lovesong". It's so trite and boring.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What about a band you loved and now you hate because of one song?

I was a HUGE Coldplay fan for their first two (and somewhat) three albums, but they just completely lost me with Viva la Vida. I loathed that song. So much so that it turned me off of the band forever and to this day I've never listened to another album.

I know that's not fair, and at some point I really should go back and give some of their albums a chance. But I don't know that I've ever gone from complete love to complete hate of a band that quickly.

There's a lot of folks who don't like anything Weezer did after Pinkerton, and I know *exactly* how they feel due to my Coldplay experience.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:02 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:11 pm I love the Cure but absolutely hate “Friday I’m in Love.”
Same but sub "Lovesong". It's so trite and boring.
Agreed, 1000%. That was a close second for me to “Friday I’m in Love.”
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Altho I wasn't too fond of Hey Jude I'm not sure that was their greatest hit. Certainly not to me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have run into many people who think the Beatles are overrated and Led Zeppelin is underrated. But while I would agree the early Beatles albums are nothing special, I would also argue that the latter Led Zeppelin albums are nothing special.
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I love Smashing Pumpkins first three albums, but I’d be happy if I never hear 1979 again. I hated it when it came out and I hate it even more now.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Ænima wrote:I love Smashing Pumpkins first three albums, but I’d be happy if I never hear 1979 again. I hated it when it came out and I hate it even more now.
Out of curiosity...given your hatred of 1979, what are you considering the "first three albums?"

Technically, that should be Gish, Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot. I think some people tend to leave out Pisces because it was a B-side/compilation album and see Mellon Collie as the third real album though...and that has a lot of songs that steer away from the Pumpkin's original sound (like 1979). Given your hatred for one song, what are your feelings about the rest of Mellon Collie? I was a senior in high school when it came out and was obsessed.

Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I’m including Mellon Collie and excluding Pisces Iscariot. That was fine, but like you said, more of a compilation of b sides. I don’t think anyone includes Radiohead’s Iron Lung EP or Airbag EP as an album in that sense for similar reasons. I love the rest of Mellon Collie and actually just picked it up on vinyl last week for too much money. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

After some thought, I've come up with one. I've long been a fan of the Beach Boys, but I hate Kokomo. The song represented a comeback for the band, but this came at a time in the 80's when the industry as a whole was changing and using what would become some notorious practices such as autotune and drum machines (ugh, those early drum machines!) to create a manifactured sound. When you put it against their previous material, it stands out, and not in a good way. The song and its entire album sound so lifeless.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:48 pm After some thought, I've come up with one. I've long been a fan of the Beach Boys, but I hate Kokomo. The song represented a comeback for the band, but this came at a time in the 80's when the industry as a whole was changing and using what would become some notorious practices such as autotune and drum machines (ugh, those early drum machines!) to create a manifactured sound. When you put it against their previous material, it stands out, and not in a good way. The song and its entire album sound so lifeless.
No Brian, no Beach Boys.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:11 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:48 pm After some thought, I've come up with one. I've long been a fan of the Beach Boys, but I hate Kokomo. The song represented a comeback for the band, but this came at a time in the 80's when the industry as a whole was changing and using what would become some notorious practices such as autotune and drum machines (ugh, those early drum machines!) to create a manifactured sound. When you put it against their previous material, it stands out, and not in a good way. The song and its entire album sound so lifeless.
No Brian, no Beach Boys.

That too. He was the genius in the band. When his cousin stepped in, it just wasn't the same. His cousin was overly commercial.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti