Palworld [Early Access, Survivalcraft, Creature Collector]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Palworld [Early Access, Survivalcraft, Creature Collector]

Post by Blackhawk »

They're also skirting the line on their Pikachu clone. They probably shouldn't have gone with the lightning bolt tail. It's probably not enough for a high-profile court case, though (but I could still see them getting a letter telling them to change it.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Quick tips:

~If you have a box with stuff in it, open it, and hit 'R', anything in your inventory that matches something already in the box will be moved directly to the box. So you can have a series of boxes with organized contents, and just walk along them hitting F-R on each, and it will sort your entire inventory into those boxes.

~If you die in water, your bag of stuff will not be where you died. It will be where you were last on land before entering the water.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:33 pm Quick tips:

~If you have a box with stuff in it, open it, and hit 'R', anything in your inventory that matches something already in the box will be moved directly to the box. So you can have a series of boxes with organized contents, and just walk along them hitting F-R on each, and it will sort your entire inventory into those boxes.

~If you die in water, your bag of stuff will not be where you died. It will be where you were last on land before entering the water.
The R button to transfer to chest and being able to craft using items in chests are two examples of why I think this game is so great - it's clear the devs actually play the game. Both of these are huge hassles in other games (Valheim).

Also note that you can adjust the death penalty in the World Settings. I've got mine set to not drop anything on death because corpse runs are a waste of my time. You can adjust the rates of all sorts of factors. The only thing missing I'd like to tweak is the rate of item durability decay - armor degrades far too quickly.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Found this great tool that will show you the spawn locations of various Pals

https://genshinlab.com/palworld-map-all-pals-location/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bookmarked, thanks.

Some of my favorite links so far:

A complete map, including the locations of everything under the sun. Be warned that showing them all will likely have spoilers. Personally, I just use it to track what I've found. I turn off everything except fast travel points. If I find something, I turn on that one thing, mark the one I've found, then turn it back off. Map Genie is a fantastic site, by the way - I actually subscribe for $10 per year. The ability to permanently record my progress in any of their maps (like what I've found) has been invaluable. It was a game-changer with the Altars of Lilith in D4.

A 3d Paldeck with stats and spawn locations. Click in the box at the top to change Pals.

A filterable Paldeck. Need a Pal with Gathering 2 and Transport 3? Or a Pal that is Grass and Water? Here's where to look.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but you can sell excess Pals at the small settlement that's not too far from the starting area. The vendor has 5 Pals for sale as well and the stock seems to rotate every day. I came back after a few days and bought a Mozzarina which is the only source of milk (required to make cakes, which are required for breeding).

I know later you can fuse Pals to improve them but I've been selling some excess Lamballs or Chikipis to buy Pals I haven't seen before.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Lets Game It Out played Palworld and as usual found a way to break the game
Spoiler:
He built a tower to the top of the world and discovered when you try to build beyond that barrier it gives you XP but then refunds the materials. He used that to get to level 46.

He also used his Valheim campfire trick to take down the big beast near the game start
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:03 pm Lets Game It Out played Palworld and as usual found a way to break the game
Spoiler:
He built a tower to the top of the world and discovered when you try to build beyond that barrier it gives you XP but then refunds the materials. He used that to get to level 46.

He also used his Valheim campfire trick to take down the big beast near the game start
I love Let's Game it Out! It's a go-to for me when I need a chuckle. I'm going to make a point of watching this,thanks.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Patch today. The patch notes for the Steam version:
Spoiler:
Steam version v0.1.4.0 has been released.

Patch Notes:

===

▼Major Fixes
・Fixed an issue where the game would crash under certain conditions
・Fixed an issue where if another player's pal/base pal had HP 30% or less, it could be captured by using a sphere.
・Fixed an issue where enemy pals would get stuck in walls due to charge attacks.

・Implemented the first fix for an issue where the game would always crash and save data would be corrupted when the guild's total number of pals captured reached around 7000.
*The game no longer crashes even if the total number of captured objects exceeds 7000.
However, save data that has already been in this state (in the case of a server, the server's world data) prior to this update will still be unable to load.
We are continuing to work on fixing this issue permanently.

▼Key Configuration
・Added support for mouse side keys and numeric keypad in keyboard key configuration.
*Further improvements are currently planned, such as support for interact key configuration.

▼Player Issues
・Fixed an issue where players on dedicated servers and co-op (online) were receiving damage twice.
・Specifications have been changed so that you can move at extremely low speed even when you have exceeded the weight limit.
・Players will no longer pass through walls when dismounting.
・Fixed an issue where capture power strengthened by Lifmunk Effigies was reset when using memory reset drugs.
・Fixed an issue where armor could be equipped in the wrong slot.
・Adjusted camera positions of several Pals to make it easier to see when mounted.

▼Base Issues
・Specifications have been changed so that Pals who are manually assigned to a breeding farm will not become hungry and their manual assignments will not be removed.
・The key to lift Pals has been changed from F → V (Pad: X → Y) in order to prevent accidents.
・Reduced the speed and range of fire spreading on wooden buildings.
・Fixed an issue where manual work assignments could not be set at all under certain circumstances.
・Fixed an issue where extremely high-level Relaxaurus would attack the base during raids.
・Added several measures to prevent base Pals from getting stuck.
・Fixed an issue where Pals would get stuck while transporting items and would drop them on the spot.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base would continue to cut down trees that were already cut.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base were on the verge of death due to unexplained falling damage.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base would float under some conditions.
・Fixed an issue where if a farm was built on the second floor or above, work pals would be unable to move on the floors below.

▼Other
・Corrected incorrect text
・Measures have been added to prevent cheating and stealing other players' Pals.
・Many other minor fixes such as the addition of a UI key guide.

===

We will continue development placing top priority on fixing major problems and issues.
Thank you for your continued support of Palworld.
Standouts for me:
Added support for mouse side keys and numeric keypad in keyboard key configuration.
That will help quite a bit with the fiddly controls. Them allowing rebinding of the interact key will be a major one. Hopefully they'll also let us use the damned alt key.
・Fixed an issue where armor could be equipped in the wrong slot.
That's understating it a bit. I watched a video about this - you have four tool slots, and six equipment slots. You could equip a suit of armor in every equipment slot, and get the combined benefits of wearing all six suits. You could also put an accessory in every equipment slot. And it wasn't a complicated glitch, either - you just drag the item (say, a shield or glider) onto a suit of armor in your inventory and it would swap them. Apparently it only checked if the item fit in the slot if you dragged it in there directly.
・Reduced the speed and range of fire spreading on wooden buildings.
Depending on how it now works, that could be a big deal. Before all it took was one enemy fire attack to destroy a huge building entirely.
・Added several measures to prevent base Pals from getting stuck.
・Fixed an issue where Pals would get stuck while transporting items and would drop them on the spot.
If the prior solves the problem of Pals starving to death on top of ore nodes, that's awesome. And if the latter eliminates pals picking up and dropping the same items repeatedly, many times per second (it sounded like the audio started skipping), then even better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys think Enshrouded will give Palworld a run for its money?

Heres a more humorous take on Enshrouded
Spoiler:
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Steam stats show that Palworld has an order of magnitude more players than Enshrouded. Enshrouded is doing fine, but it's not close pulling in Palworld numbers.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:43 am Patch today. The patch notes for the Steam version:
The key to lift Pals has been changed from F → V (Pad: X → Y) in order to prevent accidents.
Praise RNGeezus. Now I wish they'd move a few other commands to another key instead of using F for everything - like maybe change the key to dismount. I don't know how many times I've dismounted when I just want to pick something up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:40 am I don't know how many times I've dismounted when I just want to pick something up.
It really does have Ark DNA. If you haven't accidentally dismounted from an argentavis while flying high in Ark, you weren't playing right.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am really, really liking this, but I think I'm going to shelve it for a little while. For an initial early access release, it's great, but it will really benefit from a few more months of updates, especially now that they're getting mass feedback (and a much-increased budget.)

It's not unstable or problematic at all, but it does need some quality-of-life and balance adjustments. Some more control options (like binding Alt or rebinding the interact key), some vital building pieces (like pillar supports and ladder), some progression adjustments, and so forth.

It's good enough now that I can put it aside with an "I can't wait!" for when I come back to it.