244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: 244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Post by Octavious »

1st day! They sent me a detailed itinerary for the day which I love. I figure it will be a few weeks before I actually get assigned a project, but we'll see. I got up got ready and I still could leave in an hour and make it by 9. Crazy.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So much time for activities!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got a gift box. Unicorn company I swear. Umbrella, Yetti tumbler etc...I got more swag in one day than in 20 years.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm Got a gift box. Unicorn company I swear. Umbrella, Yetti tumbler etc...I got more swag in one day than in 20 years.
They should have given you a boat :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:11 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm Got a gift box. Unicorn company I swear. Umbrella, Yetti tumbler etc...I got more swag in one day than in 20 years.
They should have given you a boat :P
An oar, at least!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So the lady who pulled me in who used to work at the previous company had much worse stories than I ever knew about. Too tired to write it up now, but holy f it was bad.

I'm having a rough time adjusting to being the newbie, but it's mostly in my head. We're doing bog standard sprint methodology, which we didn't do at my old company except with one client.

They knew I was only really familiar with waterfall , but I got frustrated that I wasn't an expert on Jira the first 2 days and spent like 4 hours after work watching videos and creating my own test sprints.

It's actually easier than doing a super complicated waterfall plan. The nice thing is that everything they are doing and using has a million youtube videos.

So I'm feeling pretty good about everything after that. My manager is super organized and already has detailed agendas for each meeting. So I feel like in a week I can start running the project myself.

Nice to be learning something new and useful after years of toiling around doing the same thing over and over.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and everyone on my project team are gaming nerds. I found my people. I'm doing my best to not screw it up. ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m very happy for you.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:20 am I’m very happy for you.
Ditto
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If this optimism keeps up you're going to have to change your avatar.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:51 am If this optimism keeps up you're going to have to change your avatar.
This!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:51 am If this optimism keeps up you're going to have to change your avatar.
May I suggest:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya well let's give it a while. I mean so far the 1st week went well, but I'd have to be pretty dumb to screw up training the 1st week. :lol: I legit think they are actually what people told me and just a nice family company which is just weird.

So as for the other person and what happened to her. She worked for boat company a few years before me and apparently was dating someone in the office. They broke up and the ex convinced the IT guy to go into her emails and find out who she was now dating and where she would be. (She's been married to new guy for like 20+ years now). Ex proceeded to show up while she was out on a date. Restraining order for the ex. Reported what the other guy did to the office and they did nothing. The same IT guy got fired about 10 years later when he was stalking a girl in the office with the security cameras. He called her at her desk and told her she looked bored. I'm not sure how he played that situation out in his head. Oh you are watching me on camera? SWOOONNNNN. That girl was the sister of the bosses secretary. So he wasn't going to survive that one. Jesus that place man... :lol:

I really need to make this into a dark comedy.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Week 1 done and I don't have anything negative to say. Sure I'll have days where I want to toss someone into a wall, but it seems like they have the life/work balance nailed down pretty well.

Might be some ice/snow on Tuesday and I don't even care anymore. I would stressing right now about what to do. So dumb.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to laugh if they have a basement command center like The Cabin in the Woods and at some point you need to go down there and verify containment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There IS a basement that they say is terrifying. So you might be on point. :lol:

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Does that basement have an emergency box? :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What's in the box? :shock:

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's great when things I need to do have many you tube videos showing how to do it. Lots of videos so I can find the "one" that explains everything or doesn't make mistakes, or the two that cover the job in enough detail when viewed together to get the job done.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

As a reminder, employee safety is very important to us. Given the current weather conditions, New Jersey based employees are not required to travel for work today. The office will be open for those who prefer to be there.

All employees are expected to perform their duties to the best of their abilities and are expected to be accessible during the workday, unless otherwise agreed upon with their manager. Please be sure to reach out to your manager if there is any change in your workday, location, or schedule.

Thank you and be safe.

------------------------

Need to track down my old companies email. I know I posted it at some point. Completely opposite tone.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:23 pm Our touching HR. #2 is hilarious because they have never notified us of anything ever.:

As you are aware there is another snow storm coming our way. The office is very rarely closed due to snow, so the expectation is that we will be open. This being said, please heed the following advice:

1. If you have a laptop, take your laptop home.
2. If there are any communications from the company about snow delays or closures they will likely come via email or by phone. Most of us can get email remotely, and if you cannot get email please call the office and listen to the switchboard message or call your manager. There is no excuse for not knowing the status of the company.
3. Schools will probably be closed or delayed. If you need to plan for child care, do it in advance.
4. Roads will likely be difficult, please plan extra time for your commute, and drive carefully. Please do your best to get here safely.
5. Make sure you communicate our status with your clients and let them know we are here and working (assuming that is in fact the case).
6. Please see below for more information regarding the company’s inclement weather policy:

Article 14
POLICIES - UNSCHEDULED CLOSURES

POLICY:
Generally the Company does not pay employees when work cannot be performed due to acts beyond their control. The following are examples of such circumstances:
1) The interruption of work caused by an “Act of God” such as inclement weather, fires, floods, etc. or other causes not within the Company’s control. As for inclement weather such as snow, an employee who calls out due to sickness must provide a doctor’s note or the day will go unpaid. If an employee feels they cannot come in due to the snow or other inclement weather, but the Company is open for business, the employee must utilize a vacation day or floating holiday.

2) Public utilities fail to supply electricity, water, gas, or there is a failure to supply essential services.

3) Operations cannot commence or continue because conditions are deemed to be unsafe whether so deemed by management or by civic officials.

EARLY CLOSURE:
In some instances, management may, in its discretion, decide to close operations earlier than scheduled for a particular day. Management will decide in its sole discretion whether to pay non-exempt employees for time not worked due to such early closures. Management reserves the right to consider each such closure on a case by case basis and does not establish a precedent for future closures based upon any such decision.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Finally running the meetings. I can't believe I get paid to do this. This is pretty much pure scrum master stuff and to me way easier than what I was doing before.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So they went over the benefits and they give 1500 a year to the hsa and I don't have to contribute to get that. So this actually seems pretty darn good to me.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:51 pm So they went over the benefits and they give 1500 a year to the hsa and I don't have to contribute to get that. So this actually seems pretty darn good to me.
My company contributes an extra $500 to my HSA, but only if I watch the HSA training video during Open Enrollment.
Conform or be cast out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

An artist’s rendition:

Enlarge Image