244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Post by Octavious »

That's right folks it's OVER! I just officially signed to my new job that starts Feb 6th.

7 hours a week of drive is now 22 minutes. (Once a week 11 minutes each way. I may go in more, but ya...) :lol:
Decent pay boost + bonus (we don't get a bonus here)
Growing company that is highly focused on community
Excellent benefits (Like profit sharing)
Doesn't flood

I lose 5 sick days. That's it lol. 160 freaking PTO to start. That's way more than I was expecting.

I have a former co-worker that works there and she would always ping me jobs from time to time, but they never fit. Come December she sends me a job that is EXACTLY what I do here. She sent it to me before it was posted. I interviewed before it posted. They hired me before they bothered to meet anyone else. I owe her my life lol.

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Re: 244 Months....7428 days and one boat

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congratulations!
Now what am I supposed to fuss at you for?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apologies for ignoring your comments when I knew I was interviewing. Didn't want to jinx it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:02 pm Apologies for ignoring your comments when I knew I was interviewing. Didn't want to jinx it.
None needed. I'm happy you finally got out.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:clap:

That's fantastic! Congrats!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Congrats, that sounds awesome!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is this a bridge you can't burn? Will the pirate letter make an appearance? Do they even know what they are losing when you leave? And congrats!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wait a minute, they gave you a boat?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This bridge will be nuked from orbit when they figure out where I'm going. I'm not telling anyone, but the one guy will figure it out very quickly once I start. His wife is best friends with someone that works at the company. He always knows everything going on there. It's not a competitor, but it's a company we partner with to get data. And the owner will be PISSED that they poached me. Like he's Donald Trump crazy so ya. Fun two weeks I'm going to have. :lol:

I mean the freaking office is right across the street from where I get groceries. This isn't a commute. It just took 10 years for a freaking good position to open. They are expanding into new product lines and want experienced project managers to help get it going. Which is super fun. I totally murdered the in person interview answering questions for an hour. God damn I can't believe it.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:30 pm Wait a minute, they gave you a boat?
My current place used a boat to ferry people into a flooded office. I can't make this shit up. That's like sitcom level nonsense.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:22 pm I know I'm totally coming off as a whiny punk with the economy the way it is, BUT if you saw how my company operated you probably would understand my pain. Some of the stuff they have done to employees to make the clients happy is beyond despicable.

Three examples: Note my office is in a flood plain. WOOOO

Major storm flooded the entire area. The entire office was surrounded 3 feet of water. They got an inflatable boat and rowed people into the office. The local police were not amused afterwards

Major storm 2 Hurricane Sandy:
They kept people into the office until the last minute as the storm was coming in. The office was open the next day as normal since we didn't flood. They gave severe shit to anyone who couldn't make it into the office. They will get someone killed one day.

Major Blizzard:
We have a HD that is here until 10PM. We had a storm that dropped 3 feet of snow on the area. They refused to let them leave early. The one guy got stuck in the parking lot in his car until the morning as he couldn't get out.

Seriously I'm actually ashamed to work at this place. Maybe it's silly but I am.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Congrats! Sounds like an excellent opportunity!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So ya not an ideal place. :lol: I'm totally freaked out about dealing with new people, but they were super friendly and I instantly felt comfortable in the meetings. And I know one person at least.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hopefully you don't find your car tires slashed in the employee parking lot / marina today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Hopefully you don't find your car tires slashed in the employee parking lot / marina today.
Just look for the boat tracks?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Boss one super happy for me. Boss two? Doesn't want to talk to me. Lol.. He's a dick so whatever.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:15 pm
Smoove_B wrote:Hopefully you don't find your car tires slashed in the employee parking lot / marina today.
Just look for the boat tracks?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sounds pretty ideal. Grats!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's really the perfect transition for me. I know one person that works there. I'm super familiar with the company as we have worked with them for 20 years. Going to some other place where I have no clue if I'm walking into a minefield is super stressful. I mean it could end up being a PITA, but now I know I can actually move. :horse:

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

..."and one boat" :lol:

Oh, I see that's become a discussion here in the thread. Congrats on the successful ejection. Hopefully the new place ends up good enough to make it worth your wait in getting out!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was just reading the benefits again and the lady who referred me gets 5k if I stay 3 months. No wonder why she is so helpful. LOL

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Motivated self interest is still great if it helps you! Congrats on getting away from your toxic company!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

BTW, I award you a gold star for the thread title.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I had 20 years to come up with it.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:38 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:30 pm Wait a minute, they gave you a boat?
My current place used a boat to ferry people into a flooded office. I can't make this shit up. That's like sitcom level nonsense.
Ha! I used to maintain a boatload of boats to ensure people could get back and forth to work. Sometimes I even drove the boats until I embarrassed the LCDR in front of the Admiral by having a hard time backing the only boat that had manual steering that was stiff as all heck up to the dock. I'd never driven that particular boat before. Then I didn't have to drive them anymore which was fine by me as it wasn't my job in the first place, but the lazy squeaky wheels get the grease. :lol:

Congrats on the dream job. I'm headed to my next job in March. I think it might be a different "kind" of dream about a job, but I can always quit if it is. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Holman

Post by Holman »

Such great news! Congrats!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Thanks, I'm really hoping they will let me ride out the 2 weeks, but my company can be total dicks. (Shocking I know.) It will mess up my HC if they tell me to leave early, but maybe the other place would let me start earlier.. Shrug. Not much I can do about it.

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Awesome!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I talked with the owner and he was actually super nice and just wanted to see why I was leaving. The thing is the guy is just clueless on how to treat people on a daily basis and I sure as heck wasn't bringing it up now. Just mentioned that I wanted to try something new and wouldn't be able to live with myself if I changed my mind. So now I am having trouble finding things to worry about. :lol:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In the immortal words of Peter Brady, "When it's time to change, you've got to rearrange who you are and what you're gonna be."

I bet he gets it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:banana-dance:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So I found out before I left today that since I'm leaving on the 1st my HC is covered the entire month. There's only a 30 day wait at the other place. So now I don't even have to really do anything to try and cover the month. It just gets worse and worse people.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got my welcome packet and I'm all set to start Tuesday. As for my current job.

Enlarge Image

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

That sounds awesome Oc!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't forget to take a swim vest and paddle from your desk before you go.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Attaboy!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm high enough in the company that they are making me send a headshot to do an announcement. That's well uncomfortable. :lol:

stessier

Post by stessier »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:02 pm I'm high enough in the company that they are making me send a headshot to do an announcement. That's well uncomfortable. :lol:
When we do promotions where I currently work, the person getting promoted has to write their own announcement. I didn't find out about that until it happened to me. Very weird.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI people usually do a goodbye email. I'm going to write something really short and then put that I hired chatgpt to do the rest and put whatever nonsense it comes up with. :lol: