Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game - 3/5/24

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game - 3/5/24

Post by coopasonic »

Considering all the fun I had with Snowrunner, I am definitely keeping an eye on this. It's coming in a couple months at a $40 price point. Their previous games have all featured multiple expansions/DLCs per year adding new vehicles, areas and missions. but the base game has always been enough for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Re: Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game - 3/5/24

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a definite must get after all the fun I had with SnowRunner. I just hope that they do have a lot of content without needing to wait for the DLCs.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh you foul temptresses. This thread made me look up Snowrunner and then discover to my delight it was on GamePass...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Expeditions is available through Green Man Gaming at a discount. Mine shows 14% off, but I'm a Gold member so your discount may vary.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'm assuming/hoping this will be day 1 on ganepass so waiting for that.
Still haven't even really dug into the other 2 in the series yet.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:39 pm I'm assuming/hoping this will be day 1 on ganepass so waiting for that.
SnowRunner is IMHO much better than Mudrunner, being newer.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 pm
Punisher wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:39 pm I'm assuming/hoping this will be day 1 on ganepass so waiting for that.
SnowRunner is IMHO much better than Mudrunner, being newer.
Honestly thought it was mostly just a reskinned DLC for Mudrunners.
Is it really that different?
I will say that I LOVE their mud/snow physics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm Honestly thought it was mostly just a reskinned DLC for Mudrunners.
Is it really that different?
I will say that I LOVE their mud/snow physics.
The game aspect of SnowRunner is better, there are more activity types. The physics are supposedly better too, although by the time I started playing SnowRunner it had been so long since I played MudRunner that I couldn't swear to it. There is also a very nice variety of maps in SR, plus a lot of interesting mod maps. I've linked to first of two posts I made over on the SR topic which shows off a mod Mojave Desert map which is excellent. It is definitely not just a reskin of MudRunner.

UPDATE: Check out the videos in the SnowRunner thread to find out more about that game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Expeditions: A MudRunner Game FAQ. I've already ordered the Supreme Edition (no Diana Ross however :roll:) which releases (supposedly) Thursday at noon EST. First impressions sometime in the evening.
There are only a few days left until Expeditions: A MudRunner Game releases! To celebrate that, we decided to host a short FAQ to answer your most frequently asked questions!

What is Expeditions: A MudRunner Game? Is it a SnowRunner extension?
Expeditions is neither a DLC nor an extension of SnowRunner, but a complete game on its own, which offers new gameplay and mechanics never seen before in the Runner series. SnowRunner will still receive support and new content in parallel with Expeditions.

On which platforms does the game release?
Expeditions: A MudRunner Game will release on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam and Epic Games Store.

Will we be able to use cross save?
Yes, cross-save feature is implemented in Expeditions: A MudRunner Game.

When will we be able to play in co-op?
Co-op will be available a little later following the launch.

Are steering wheels compatible with Expeditions?
You can find a list of compatible wheels here: https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/65 ... ing-wheels

Will there be DLCs and a Year Pass?
Yes, and you can already preorder the Year 1 and Supreme Editions of the game which will include four seasons of thrilling adventures, additional scouts, trucks, and cutting-edge tools!

When does the game release? Is there an early unlock?
Expeditions: A MudRunner Game releases March 5 on all platforms. However, pre-ordering the Supreme Edition or Year 1 Edition will grant you exclusive content AND early access to the game, so you can start your expedition up to 5 days before its official release!

What are the System Requirements for Expeditions: A MudRunner Game?
You can find the System Requirements right here:

Will there be a performance mode on consoles?
There is no special performance mode on consoles.

Will the in-game physics be the same as in SnowRunner?
The in-game physics are based on the SnowRunner engine but are improved in many ways for Expeditions’ gameplay.

How many maps will there be at Launch?
There will be 9 different game maps available at launch.

How many missions will there be at Launch?
There will be 80 expeditions, and over 120 side activities available at launch.

Will there be mods at Launch?
Mods can be created right after the launch, using the provided standalone editor for PC. On top of that, a few mods will be available right at the launch!

Do I get any exclusive rewards if I already own SnowRunner? And how do I claim them?
Yes, you will be getting exclusive content if you already own SnowRunner! These rewards can be claimed via PROS system. To get them, you will need to connect your PROS account on both of the games. You will unlock this exclusive content by claiming the rewards on the PROS portal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I pre-ordered the Supreme Edition and it was supposed to release at noon EST today, but apparently if you got your key through anyone else than Steam you are not seeing an "Install" button, even if you restart the Steam client. GMG is aware of the issue as is Steam. I'm going off and doing something else before I get grumpy... :grund:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Game is now available to download and play if you have the Supreme or Year 1 edition, apparently they have straightened out their issues with retail keys.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've put in 30 minutes and so far it's good. This is definitely not a mod or DLC for Snowrunner, the gameplay is focused on doing tasks rather than just moving cargo. For instance, for my first mission, this is the info provided.

Enlarge Image

Your vehicle has a winch, drone, binoculars and other stuff. More after I get back to the game later on.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty excited for the game but my kiddo didn't get me the super fancy edition so I shall wait until next week.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:00 pm Game is now available to download and play if you have the Supreme or Year 1 edition, apparently they have straightened out their issues with retail keys.
Installing. Not sure how much time over the next couple days I will have to really play it - but I'm looking forward to it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Heads up to those playing, or will play. I had a crash to desktop at 85 minutes in. Sucky, but the game does autosave. However, there is apparently no way to alter how often the autosave occurs. You may want to periodically want to hit Escape and then Return to the Main Menu. Doing that creates an autosave. Then just select Continue.

Do NOT select Return to Headquarters!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I finished all five missions in Little Colorado, the first of three regions. There are only five missions in that first region and thirty-seven in each of the other two. I've played for 3.6 hours to complete that first region so I'm thinking there is plenty of content in the game.

Enlarge Image

If you are familiar with MudRunner or especially SnowRunner a lot of the mechanics of gameplay will be familiar, the driving of vehicles in mud, over rocks, etc. There are many new concepts which add more of a gaming aspect to Expeditions. You'll have a reserve of money from which you can not only buy upgrades and vehicles, but also one-time use times like winching anchors. There are also various tools which will be needed to accomplish certain missions. Accomplishing missions gives you rewards, like money and other items. So the challenge is to spend money on things you might need to accomplish your mission, but not too much as it cuts into your profit.

There's another aspect that's a significant change from SnowRunner. In SR, if you get a vehicle in trouble you can always just recover it to the nearest garage. You lose progress but no money. But in Expeditions, doing a recovery costs money, the bigger the vehicle the more it costs. So getting a vehicle stuck is costly not only for recovery, but also because any tool you bought for the mission is "sold" for half the cost for which you paid to buy it. Basically it's a penalty. That lost of half the cost of an item is true even if you are successful in getting back to your garage, consider it a rental fee.

But the above is all good, it's part of the structure of the game to make it more of a challenge. In fact after three and a half hours I'm pretty happy with the game. No glitches to speak of, runs at a nice 60fps with most of the graphic settings on high. Just that one crash to desktop.

I've uploaded a video to show some gameplay of me driving a scout through some rugged terrain. At the 55 second mark you'll see me put out an anchor for the winch. I do it again at about the two minute mark. For this scout I get an unlimited number of anchor uses, but on other vehicles you get only five uses per anchor device. However, you can purchase more than one anchor if you have the inventory for it.

Another difference from SnowRunner is that you can lower the air pressure in your tires for better traction at the cost of higher fuel use and risking damage to them.

At the 3:40 mark I use an echo sounder to check the depth of some water ahead of me to make sure I can get across.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Questions.
1. Can you always use the scout if you want in order to always have unlimited anchors?

2. If not, can you retrieve anchors after you get out?

3. Which version did you get and why.

4. In hindsight do you think you should have gotten a different version and why?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:57 am Questions.
1. Can you always use the scout if you want in order to always have unlimited anchors?

2. If not, can you retrieve anchors after you get out?

3. Which version did you get and why.

4. In hindsight do you think you should have gotten a different version and why?
1. I've only come across one scout that has the unlimited anchors feature and that might have been because of the nature of the mission was like a tutorial. Scouts can't do a lot of missions due to not having a cargo bed and a limited inventory. They are good for exploring. I'm mention in later posts if I come across unlimited anchors again, but for now assume that any anchor device you buy is limited to five uses.

2. Nope, an anchor once deployed cannot be reused (except for the mythical unlimited anchor device :wink:). Think of it as using something like an adhesive or explosive bolts to "anchor" itself to the ground. By the way, anchors can only be deployed on dirt, not on rock. So I'm sure the designers have a number of places where anchors can't be used. Also, as you can see in the video, the range of anchor deployment is fairly limited.

3. I got the Supreme Edition which includes the five day early access; not that Early Access, just being able to play the game early. It also has the other items you can see on the Steam page, variants of trucks and scouts. It also included the Year 1 package which is four releases of new maps and missions over the next year. I got that edition so I could play the game as soon as possible.

4. I'm happy with being able to play the game ASAP and with the other content. I got a discount through Green Man Gaming so it wasn't as expensive.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I need to get my Wheel out. This has no Mouse-n-Keyboard option at all, just Controller / Wheel. :oops: :liar:

edit: not true
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:27 pm I need to get my Wheel out. This has no Mouse-n-Keyboard option at all, just Controller / Wheel.
Ohhh.. didn't realize that.. i might be out then. Seems like a weird design choice when their previous games support it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:27 pm I need to get my Wheel out. This has no Mouse-n-Keyboard option at all, just Controller / Wheel.
Ohhh.. didn't realize that.. i might be out then. Seems like a weird design choice when their previous games support it.
I was surprised too. (to be fair, I haven't clicked >start new game< , because I went into Settings first and noticed that)

Soo, JZ - please do correct me if it's supported

I will fire it up a bit later today to check myself.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:30 pm
Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:23 pm
I was surprised too. (to be fair, I haven't clicked >start new game< , because I went into Settings first and noticed that)

Soo, JZ - please do correct me if it's supported

I will fire it up a bit later today to check myself.

My mistake - it supports a keyboard. (cause, I mean, right!?)
I'm an idiot, if I had just clicked 'Controls' I'd have also seen they had mappings for the keyboard.

:oops:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm using an X360 controller, just like I did in SnowRunner. I find that having the second stick is helpful for moving the view around to get a better look at where I'm trying to put my tires.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More content videos:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First, something else from the publisher:

And now, a weird glitchy tumble down a hillside. I've had two of these in five hours of play :(. Otherwise still a lot of fun.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first time building a bridge. Note that I didn't select how the spans were laid or where, just like in SnowRunner it's automatic. However, unlike SnowRunner, it isn't a mission, you just need to be at the spot with enough supplies.

Expeditions are the main missions in the game. They provide rewards not only of cash, but also of parts, specialists and other things. And they move the story along. In the Arizona region there are four maps, shown below are the expeditions available for the Grand Canyon map. Note that some are locked. So far there has only been one unlocked at a time until I finished my last expedition, where I now have the option to go to one of two other maps to do an unlocked expedition there.

Enlarge Image

And here I have chosen the Free Roam expedition at the Grand Canyon. I can drive around as I wish.

Enlarge Image

Besides the expeditions there are contracts and tasks. I'm not 100% sure, but apparently these are revealed as you explore the map in expeditions.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm finishing up for the night. I've played for eight hours yesterday and today, which is a lot for me. I have completed 11 of the 74 expeditions in the game. The first five in the Little Colorado region weren't too complex, rather they were intended for tutorial purposes. I've also done a couple of the Task missions as well. There are, according to the FAQ, over 120 side missions (objectives and tasks) so that's a lot of content I've yet to see.

The last expedition I did tonight was the first on the Coconino map, which is part of the Arizona region. Cleverly, you actually start off on the Grand Canyon map and have to find the transfer point to the Coconino map. Then I had to find stuff on the new map. Overall the mission took about 55 minutes. It was rated as Hard, which it was. Oddly, the only other Expedition open to me at that time was rated Very Hard :shock:. I say odd because the previous missions were all rated Easy except for one Normal. Sort of threw me into the deep end.

Enlarge Image

I'm really liking the game, but then I liked SnowRunner too so it isn't that much of a surprise. The game is very polished. I did have the one CTD and the two weird glitch rollovers like I posted above, but in the past three hours of play I haven't seen them again. Otherwise everything seems to work as intended, I haven't come across any missing objectives, misplaced waypoints, etc.

Again, this isn't just something that could be a DLC for SnowRunner. The driving mechanics are similar, but beyond that there is a very well thought out and implemented gameplay that expands well beyond just picking up and delivering cargo. The devices like the drone, binoculars, etc, add a lot of gameplay options and really do make the game feel like you are exploring the map.

The finances are very interesting. I tend to be someone who never, ever spends money in a game unless I really need to, no horse armor for me :wink:. But for those who want to upgrade their trucks with bumpers or extra cargo space or whatnot, there are a lot of options. And sometimes you need to buy add-ons or upgrades to accomplish a mission. Or sometimes you buy stuff to give yourself a better chance to survive. Here's an example, I rolled my truck and needed a jack-screw, which I purchased before the mission, to get my truck going again. I actually used three jack-screws on this expedition :roll:.

More tomorrow. Post any questions!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Did another expedition today. Took me almost an hour and half :shock:. I ran out of fuel part way through, recovered to my outpost and discovered that unless you "Return to the Headquarters" from the escape menu, you don't go back to the garage where you can get unlimited supplies. So now I've figured out what those building modules are for, they have extra supplies, fuel and wheels.

I'm making a hints list as I play and when others are ready for it I'll post it here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I resolved my question about anchors, why at first I could use it over and over, and then it was limited to five uses. Turns out there are two different types of anchor devices as can be seen on the right in the image.

Enlarge Image
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thats interesting. I wonder why they even have the other unless the unlimited is an unlock or something but even then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm Thats interesting. I wonder why they even have the other unless the unlimited is an unlock or something but even then.
It appears that the unlimited is only available from airdrops, at least so far. I tried to store it at a warehouse so I could use it again but stupidly deleted the warehouse later on with the unlimited in it :grund:.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Four situations where I used the anchors and jack-screws to good effect.

Today I failed a mission after spending almost two hours on it :roll:. I had to leave one map, go across another then onto a third where I had to locate a stuck truck, retrieve it and bring it to the local outpost. I managed to find the truck and after a lot of work get it loose enough to start towing it. But I was running out of fuel and finally left the truck and headed to the outpost to refuel... I ran out in sight of the outpost :doh:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:58 pm Today I failed a mission after spending almost two hours on it :roll:. I had to leave one map, go across another then onto a third where I had to locate a stuck truck, retrieve it and bring it to the local outpost. I managed to find the truck and after a lot of work get it loose enough to start towing it. But I was running out of fuel and finally left the truck and headed to the outpost to refuel... I ran out in sight of the outpost :doh:
Did this mission again this evening, this time I brought two trucks loaded to the gills with fuel. As I got near the stuck truck I transferred all the remaining fuel to one truck. I managed to get the stuck truck out of it's location, but I came to a steep slope and just couldn't pull it up the slope before I ran out of fuel again. I'm going to have to think about this mission, maybe I need to approach it another way.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just finished another expedition this evening. Two and a half hours to complete it :shock:. It all took place on the Grand Canyon map, but I ended up driving all over it :roll:. Rather than explain what I did to beat it and perhaps spoil that thrill some folks get of playing a mission over and over :wink:, I've prepared a set of tips and hints. I've put it in spoiler tags for those who want to find out these things on their own. With the game going into full release tomorrow, I'll be available to answer questions.

I've posted a Steam Guide with the tips and hints. I'm not sure how comprehensive it will be (or not be) but I figure it will help folks.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:37 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:58 pm Today I failed a mission after spending almost two hours on it :roll:. I had to leave one map, go across another then onto a third where I had to locate a stuck truck, retrieve it and bring it to the local outpost. I managed to find the truck and after a lot of work get it loose enough to start towing it. But I was running out of fuel and finally left the truck and headed to the outpost to refuel... I ran out in sight of the outpost :doh:
Did this mission again this evening, this time I brought two trucks loaded to the gills with fuel. As I got near the stuck truck I transferred all the remaining fuel to one truck. I managed to get the stuck truck out of it's location, but I came to a steep slope and just couldn't pull it up the slope before I ran out of fuel again. I'm going to have to think about this mission, maybe I need to approach it another way.
Probably a different mission, but I failed after probably 45 minutes in the early missions to get a truck stuck in a swamp out. I think they made some of the obstacles/crevices a bit too narrow (frustrating) as I pulled that truck all the way to the end of the swamp but it got wedged solidly and no matter what angle I pulled the wheels just wouldn't budge or go over the hump. I haven't yet had time to try again.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:29 am Probably a different mission, but I failed after probably 45 minutes in the early missions to get a truck stuck in a swamp out. I think they made some of the obstacles/crevices a bit too narrow (frustrating) as I pulled that truck all the way to the end of the swamp but it got wedged solidly and no matter what angle I pulled the wheels just wouldn't budge or go over the hump. I haven't yet had time to try again.
Yup, that's part of the challenge of the game. If it's the mission "Heavy Load", I've failed that twice. I went to the Steam discussion and posted a thread and (surprisingly) got a nice reply from someone. Turns out I wasn't using the best truck to go fetch the struck truck. Also I didn't know about Cargo Drones which get unlocked by a mission on the Grand Canyon map, "An Unexpected Find". That allows a drone to bring you fuel anywhere on the map on which the Cargo Drone module is located. I'm trying it out this afternoon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Now that us plebes can play I'll be checking this out a bit tonight. I'm excited, but not too excited, based on jzt's trials and tribulations.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter