Pet Peeves

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Carpet_pissr »

People that box me in with their cars on both sides when I’m parked diagonally taking up two handicap spots. Can’t they see I’m trying not to get dinged?!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

MHS wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:24 am Meetings that should have been emails.
Phone calls that should have been texts.

Texts that should have been phone calls.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:40 am People that box me in with their cars on both sides when I’m parked diagonally taking up two handicap spots. Can’t they see I’m trying not to get dinged?!
People never learn.

That's why you pull forward until you're centered on the 'cross', putting you in four parking spots.

(Also, I've had the joy of having someone towed from an employee lot for doing exactly that after warnings.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:41 pmLarge pickup trucks I cant see through or around.
This one.

It's a big problem around here, where trucks are more popular than they are in most urban areas, and the bigger your truck, the bigger your perceived manhood, all enhanced if you have some combination of hunting brand decals, Calvin peeing on something liberal, and/or an inch-thick layer of mud ("life-size Hot Wheels car for some dumb redneck kid", if anyone gets the reference.) I'll be parked, and come back to the car with a jacked up, extended-bed, dual-cab truck parked on either side of me. I have to back all of the way into the lane before I can see if there's anyone actually coming. All you can really do is go really slow, tap the brakes occasionally to make sure you're visible, and hope that anyone coming stops before they get to the one foot you can see between your rear end and the truck.

Between the impact of super-bright LED lights on jacked up trucks and being completely blind when backing out, I've just reached a point where if I see you in a giant-assed truck, I just assume you're an asshole.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Godwin's Law.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:00 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:47 pm And add autocorrect to my lust.
Not sure if on purpose....
:wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

+1

And I give you Thomas Benjamin Wild Esq in support! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have so many... so so many...

Can I just go with "everything"?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MHS

Post by MHS »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm
+1

:wub: I just posted that to our work Slack.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I endorse all of the language peeves. After more than 20 years of teaching English, mixed metaphors or just badly chosen ones jump out at me.

For example, there's currently an ad I walk past every day for the new Dodge Hornet: "BRED TO STING."

Whoever was paid to develop that slogan was apparently unaware that nobody breeds hornets. No hornet has ever been bred for anything.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MHS wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:06 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm
+1

:wub: I just posted that to our work Slack.
And that's not even my favorite. :dance:

This one may be my #1 [NSFW Warning due to language]. It's the first one of his I ever heard. :D It also tends to sum up how I feel about my work. So you may not want to share that one...

And this one sums up the last few COVID years.

And one for Smoove.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:05 pm I endorse all of the language peeves. After more than 20 years of teaching English, mixed metaphors or just badly chosen ones jump out at me.

For example, there's currently an ad I walk past every day for the new Dodge Hornet: "BRED TO STING."

Whoever was paid to develop that slogan was apparently unaware that nobody breeds hornets. No hornet has ever been bred for anything.
Can you get another type of wasp to breed with an Asian hornet?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Artificially inflated prices is a definite pet peeve of mine. I've been hearing grumblings for former customers over the huge raise in their storage fees. I'm almost 100% sure that the money laundering new owner hasn't seen any increase at all in his costs. In fact I'm pretty sure his costs are less than ours were four years ago because during a hissy fit the guy who owned it prior dumped the really good but expensive storage software in favor of some cheap but super crappy software.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of artificially inflated prices, I'd say gas prices. I live in area of the province which always has some of the highest prices than average, despite the fact that the next big town over has lower prices. Government always says it's going to look into it for decades now. It's had a history of being rather high.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:05 pm Whoever was paid to develop that slogan was apparently unaware that nobody breeds hornets. No hornet has ever been bred for anything.
My plan for world domination begins to take shape...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:39 am Speaking of artificially inflated prices,
Mismarked items because there are no pricetags any more. And this mismarks are never in my favor and I don't want to fight for dimes all the time or ever. I review my receipt every time I shop and, as example, my last three Kroger shops had errors in their favor of $1.59, $.20, and $1.20. I fought the first time and got my $1.50. They still screwed up $.19 after the fact but I was already tired of fighting. I didn't fight the second two times and I can see the prices those times are where the app reflects the price I was charged by the POS. A price quite different than what was on the shelf. I don't want to check prices on the app for everything as I walk through the store. Kroger are slowly moving toward my no shop zone and that sucks because they are within walking distance of my house and theoretically have as Gouda prices as anyone else.

Oh, I can rant about many a subject. :character-oldtimer:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Deceptive advertising via e- or snail-mail. If you make your pitch to me look like an official government document, a check, or use scare tactics, I can guarantee that I won't be doing business with you. My first interaction with you was you lying to me to manipulate me for your own ends. Why in the hell would I engage in any transaction with you?
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm

People flying flags or wearing clothing with uncensored curse words
While not exactly the same thing, I think you'll find this close enough. I was on a date recently at a fairly nice restaurant. Not $100 each nice, but, ya know, $25 each nice. Tablecloths, decent service. The guy in the table right behind me, talking loudly to his friend throughout, was wearing a brightly colored shirt with the text "Taco Bell Destroyed My Anus" prominently displayed.

Certainly disrupted both my appetite and enjoyment of my date.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to exit a game these days.

Exit game
click
Are you sure you want to exit?
click
menu exit game
click
exit game
click
are you sure?
CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK!!! ALT-F4

I dont want to make it political so I will simply say a pet peeve is orange people.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yes, exit menus can be annoying. More games need to have a direct exit to desktop. Capcom is very much guilty of long drawn out exit menus.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't mind it as an option, but I also want to be able to exit to the main menu. Too many games are built around multiple characters these days.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

More of an R&P thing, but the habit of the media reporting on bills introduced to Congress - state or national - as if introducing a bill was the same thing as voting on and/or approving it. Introducing a bill just requires that some nutjob think it's a good idea - it doesn't have to be supported or even possible.

If they want me to take such reporting seriously, they need to touch on the viability of the bill more than focusing on the shock value and headlines.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:04 pm I dont want to make it political so I will simply [ gratuitously inject my unsought political opinions into everything ]
This.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd say that asking, "What are your pet peeves?" qualifies his pet peeves as 'sought.'
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:38 pm I'd say that asking, "What are your pet peeves?" qualifies his pet peeves as 'sought.'
So, even though this is an Everything But Gaming flavour of 'Pet Peeves', does the broadness of the topic make it permissible to chime in with pet peeves about abortion, inflation, immigration, or the 2023 Israel-Hamas War? :P

Anyway, I found it served as a convenient representation of the type of pet peeve I was referring to, but evidently YMMV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Offhand mentions have always happened in EBG. It's discussion that is frowned on.

We also mention gaming in Everything but Gaming - and pretty regularly.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm Offhand mentions have always happened in EBG. It's discussion that is frowned on.

So, that's a 'yes' to the broadness of the topic making it permissible to chime in with EbG pet peeves on abortion, inflation, immigration, the 2023 Israel-Hamas War etc, as long as the particular political pet peeve expressed remains undiscussed?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ih it isn't limited to the large round orange one(Is there a Big Giant head reference in there? 3rd Rock!) . its orange people in general...why do they spend so much money to be orange? We tried self tanner in the 90s. it was orange. Not fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:28 pm Also, people that stop the microwave counter before it reaches zero but then don't clear the remaining time.
I chuckled because this is one of mine. My office work environment is a small space with 6 people that also doubles as are breakroom, lunchroom, and conference room. I diligently reset the clock on the microwave whenever the power goes out or there is a time change. In a meeting the person speaking always stands up in front of the microwave and if it is not displaying the clock, I am irritated.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:11 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:05 pm I endorse all of the language peeves. After more than 20 years of teaching English, mixed metaphors or just badly chosen ones jump out at me.

Can you get another type of wasp to breed with an Asian hornet?
I rest my case.
It is not possible to breed different species of wasps together. Each species has its own unique genetic makeup and reproductive methods, making it impossible for them to produce viable offspring. Additionally, introducing non-native species into an ecosystem can have negative impacts on the existing wildlife and habitats. It is also illegal in many countries. It is important to respect and preserve the biodiversity of our planet. Is there anything else you would like to know?
The problem with the car ad is that it assumes "bred to sting" means "made to sting" or "evolved to sting" or even (and this would have been a much better slogan) "born to sting." But it doesn't.

I get pissed off by lots of ads this way. Advertising copywriters are the lowest form of English major.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:23 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm Offhand mentions have always happened in EBG. It's discussion that is frowned on.

So, that's a 'yes' to the broadness of the topic making it permissible to chime in with EbG pet peeves on abortion, inflation, immigration, the 2023 Israel-Hamas War etc, as long as the particular political pet peeve expressed remains undiscussed?
Stop trying so hard.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:16 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:23 pm

Stop trying so hard.

I will if you will. ;)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Albeit it is lopsided if you want to start counting. :wink:

Another pet peeve: Not sure what women being called "stallions" falls under, but it just sounds wrong to me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:29 pm More of an R&P thing, but the habit of the media reporting on bills introduced to Congress - state or national - as if introducing a bill was the same thing as voting on and/or approving it. Introducing a bill just requires that some nutjob think it's a good idea - it doesn't have to be supported or even possible.

If they want me to take such reporting seriously, they need to touch on the viability of the bill more than focusing on the shock value and headlines.
The purpose is for you to know what you want to contact your representative about and how you think they should vote on a bill. I don't think we want to let the media be the filter for what may or may not be viable.
It wouldn't be better if they only reported on the bills that just passed, that's for sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, and I'm not suggesting that they should. But they don't report on them in an informative manner - they report on them in a sensationalist manner.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:42 pm
Another pet peeve: Not sure what women being called "stallions" falls under, but it just sounds wrong to me.
First time I've heard that one....
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:14 pm
I think maybe there is some purposely displaying disdain for our culture by using our words incorrectly on purpose. Sort of like a pedestrian in the cross walk in front of a store doing the slow walk while everyone sits in their car and waits for them to get out of the way. :think: ...or not? :lol:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm guessing he's referring to Megan Thee Stallion, the rapper?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:43 am
I've read that name before but didn't know that women are being called stallions. Which are, of course, male. :think:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

gbasden wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:43 am
I've seen it used towards multiple women, not that person who I hadn't heard of. What I found said it referred to large muscular built black women, but I've seen it used with women of all shades as well of all sizes and shapes.