Pet Peeves

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Pet Peeves

Post by em2nought »

My #1 Pet Peeve: Can't sleep the night before any event different than normal. I've had this ever since first starting school way back when. The night before going back to school after summer break I could never sleep. Later I took it with me to the military. Night before arriving at next duty station can't sleep. Now it seems to extend to any event that is slightly different than normal. My friends were in town emptying their storage container, and I was helping them - can't sleep. They left me with some final clean up to do for them, and I better get it done or I'm going to be really dragging. :doh:

My cousin says she had it every Sunday before going back to work the next week. I guess I'm lucky, at least I don't have it that bad.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Zaxxon »

Folks using 'on-premise' rather than 'on-premises.' Premise is not the singular of premises!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's no good. It's not sufficient and necessary.
Stay on premise
The framing is too closed
Stay on premise
Lighten up!

Gold Five to Red leader, lost argument, lost the debate.

Also, guilty. :oops:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Paying by check at a store

Leaving your cart in the parking lot and not in the designated spots

Smelling pot in public

People flying flags or wearing clothing with uncensored curse words

I’ve apparently become an angry old man.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm Smelling pot in public
It's not really a pet peeve of mine but I really hadn't expected how much of a pot smell I would find in Philadelphia.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:09 pm Folks using 'on-premise' rather than 'on-premises.' Premise is not the singular of premises!
'on-prem'
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh my, what is the character limit on a post? I'm only going to post the ones that go beyond "mild annoyance."

- Christmas commercials where they replace the words of a classic Christmas song with their advertisement lyrics. It drives me into pure hot fiery rage.

- People whispering. Oh my God it drives me up the wall the "psss psss pssss psss pss." Needless to say I hate ASMR videos.

- People who can't spell "lose," "loser," or "losing" without adding an extra o. I really don't understand why this one is so widespread.

- Corporate speak. Which I unfortunately have to deal with daily.
Brian

Post by Brian »

People that use should of, would of, could of.

People that use weary instead of either wary or leery.

People that use wonder instead of wander. IE: I was out wondering around.

People.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Brian

Post by Brian »

Also, people that stop the microwave counter before it reaches zero but then don't clear the remaining time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm - People whispering. Oh my God it drives me up the wall the "psss psss pssss psss pss." Needless to say I hate ASMR videos.
Brian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:26 pm People that use weary instead of either wary or leery.
Agreed
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm a person who goes out of my way to be considerate to others, even if it inconveniences me. For example, I'm tall, so if there's limited stock of something at the store, I'll take mine off of the top shelves rather than empty the shelves that other people need to reach, and if the lower shelves are empty, I'll move a few items down. My pet peeves are often the opposite - anything that inconveniences others for one person's benefit.

~Parking across multiple parking spaces in a crowded lot. If you feel the need, do it in the corner of the lot.
~Giant-assed vehicles with blinding LED lights
~At home, people leaving things half-done, knowing that they're forcing me to either finish it, or to live in their mess.
~My driveway opens onto 'main street' about 40 feet from a stop light. So, stopping two or three vehicle lengths from the vehicle in front of you at stop lights. You'd be surprised how many times I've had to sit through three lights to get out because two cars manage to fill that 40 feet.
~Posting links (or videos) on websites without bothering to type a single sentence as to what they are and why they're there. If you can't make enough of an effort to be part of the conversation, then take your drive-bys and shove 'em. :tjg:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:09 pm Folks using 'on-premise' rather than 'on-premises.' Premise is not the singular of premises!
'on-prem'
I’ll allow it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Brian wrote:Also, people that stop the microwave counter before it reaches zero but then don't clear the remaining time.
How do you know my wife?

Post by Default »

I guess I should edit my dating profile to change "loser" to "looser" women.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm I
~Posting links (or videos) on websites without bothering to type a single sentence as to what they are and why they're there. If you can't make enough of an effort to be part of the conversation, then take your drive-bys and shove 'em. :tjg:
Agreed. I've unfortunately seen many forums slowly become link graveyards due to this. I find it so annoying, as it then becomes harder to parse. But it also makes the places feel sterile and unwelcome, and makes it that much more difficult to have conversation, and don't actively promote discussion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm - Christmas commercials where they replace the words of a classic Christmas song with their advertisement lyrics. It drives me into pure hot fiery rage.
To this day, I remember the lyrics in the commercial jingle to the tune of "Jingle Bells" from 1996:
"Boxes full of clothes,
CDs no one knows,
All I want is something for my Nintendo 64"

Talk about an effective advertising campaign! (well, okay, maybe not that effective, since I don't remember what they were advertising, some kind of big box store)
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm 'on-prem'
This is the way :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:11 pm
Agreed. I've unfortunately seen many forums slowly become link graveyards due to this. I find it so annoying, as it then becomes harder to parse. But it also makes the places feel sterile and unwelcome, and makes it that much more difficult to have conversation, and don't actively promote discussion.
https://y.yarn.co/317e693a-c06a-425b-98 ... 78a04e.mp4
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:23 pm
:D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:23 pm
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:26 pm People that use should of, would of, could of.
Stuff they should have learned in school.

Eh, woulda, shoulda, coulda.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I should premise this by saying I could care less about most stuff but:

Drivers who don't indicate

Flip flips

Influencers

EDC dumps

Illinois sales tax

Virtually to mean literally

Literally to mean virtually
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

People that stand in front of the counter to pickup food. Like dude you aren't the only one waiting. You don't need to dive on it like a wild animal.

Randomly inserting politics into conversations when I don't even know the damn person. This has become pretty widespread and it's always the same people doing it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Decimated to mean devastated.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have the cant sleep before a change the next day thing off and on. Sometimes and sometimes not and I never know which it will be before i go to bed and try to sleep. And the next day thing can be a nothing thing like go to get food or have to mow. I know i need to get up at a certain time and that seems to be a trigger for it.

Large pickup trucks I cant see through or around.

People on FB Marketplace that ask "Is it still available?" even if you put the ad up 2 min ago. (I will find all of you)

People on FB Marletplace that say they will come pick up an item, get your address, then ghost you.

People who use a collar on a small dog rather than a harness , then pick them up off the ground by the leash.

Taking up more than 1 parking spot. ...I saw a car parked in the middle of 2 handicapped spaces and at an angle just to not get dinged. Ass. I love watching videos of when they do that two people will get their cars and park on each side of the ass so close they cant get in unless through the trunk or back hatch.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:42 pm I should premise this by saying I could care less about most stuff but:

Flip flips
Drivers who don't indicate what, that you misspelled flip-flops :P ?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:41 pm
People on FB Marketplace that ask "Is it still available?" even if you put the ad up 2 min ago. (I will find all of you)

Taking up more than 1 parking spot. ...I saw a car parked in the middle of 2 handicapped spaces and at an angle just to not get dinged. Ass.
My sister was a tech writer so she has all of the peeves regarding language and words that most of you have. I think she is solely responsible for me trying to get mine as exact as I can.

I hate when people never reply on FB marketplace when you ask about their item. Not really happy when an item turns out to be an hour further away than it appears on marketplace either. Photos not being representative of the actual item doesn't make me too happy either.

Regarding parking lots I hate when I park way out away from everyone else, and yet somebody decides he has to park directly beside me.

Really not fond of people who ride beside you down the highway in your blind spot either. I think they're just trying to get a claim.

I really hate that the guy who thinks I'm his best friend EVER finally caught me after successfully ducking him on two occasions. Two hours later I finally managed to get away from him. He does all the talking, and listens to nothing I say if I try to get a word in. Told him I'd be sleeping late today so naturally he tried to call me early and left a voicemail since I'd meanwhile blocked him. I need to figure out how to turn off my voicemail. :doh:

I guess I'm a little guilty of providing drive by links at times.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't mind so much when it's in reply to something. But if it's an initial post, it doesn't promote discussion period.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:42 pm I should premise this by saying I could care less about most stuff but:

Flip flips
To "indicate" is to "signal a turn".

And add autocorrect to my lust.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm
'on-prem'
"On-prem" is acceptable slang/jargon for "on-premises" within the tech industry. "On-premise" is just wrong unless you're agreeing with a proposition, which you probably aren't. The copy editor has ruled.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

People who stop a car length or more behind the car in front of them at a red light, and then creep up a few feet at a time while waiting for the light to change, forcing you to either do the same or be the guy who's wasting space.

People stopped in the left lane who don't put on their turn signal until the light turns green.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

people who indicate a turn wit ha blinker but its for the guy in front of them who is actually turning. WTH do people do this?? Its supposed to be illegal here too AFAIK.

And a new one as of right now...when I typing in a word or phrase and Google wants to search for something else...no matter how bad i tell to search for what i typed.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:45 pm
msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm Smelling pot in public
It's not really a pet peeve of mine but I really hadn't expected how much of a pot smell I would find in Philadelphia.
I've not noticed that as much in Philly as I have in places like DC and Vegas.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:41 pm People on FB Marketplace that ask "Is it still available?" even if you put the ad up 2 min ago. (I will find all of you)
I think that's more of an ice-breaker than a genuine query. They're just using an easy question to get the conversation started.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That the news no longer has to be neutral.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:47 pm
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 pm

Flip flips
To "indicate" is to "signal a turn".

And add autocorrect to my lust.
I knew what you meant in regards to drivers, I was kidding. I also hate people who don't signal, though not as much as folks who are living out their NASCAR fantasies on the road. Frankly, any BMW driver should get three points on their licenses every time they start their car, since they will be inevitably driving like lunatics.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Brian

Post by Brian »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:47 pm And add autocorrect to my lust.
Not sure if on purpose....
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:27 pm That the news no longer has to be neutral.
I cant even believe they allow Fox to broadcast as all it is is lies and one sided propaganda.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:27 pm That the news no longer has to be neutral.
It never was. It's just not as subtle about it now.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Meetings that should have been emails.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:28 pm Also, people that stop the microwave counter before it reaches zero but then don't clear the remaining time.
LOL!