Movie: Poor Things

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Movie: Poor Things

Post by Brian »

I'm not very good at writing reviews for the more...esoteric...movies but since I don't see a post on here yet, let me give you my one word review: Overwhelming.

Visually and audibly overwhelming in the first point. What a unique and fascinating world this film takes place in. Visually, once the story moves out in to the larger world, it becomes very reminiscent of Bioshock: Infinite.

Audibly, the score is grating and disconcerting which constantly puts the viewer ill at ease. Unfortunately, they had the volume up a little bit too high in our theater and it went from disconcerting to downright painful at times.

I admit, I have not seen the other films by this director, Yorgos Lanthimos, but his previous films got a lot of praise and I can see why. At times the viewer feels a bit like an outsider watching events unfold, particularly in the first act which is black and white and often filmed using a fish-eye lens.

Willem DaFoe was brilliant, of course, as the Frankensteinian Dr. who, in this case, looks more like the traditional monster than does his "progeny."
Mark Ruffalo, who I wouldn't normally consider a scene chewer practically feasts on every scene he's in.
Emma Stone....wow. I'm not the type to toss around phrases like Oscar worthy but in this case, yeah, she was amazing in what I imagine was a very difficult role growing from, no spoilers, where she starts the movie into the woman she becomes by the end.

Definitely not a film for the prudish as it is vivid in its exploration of sexuality: the fun, the beautiful, and the ugly as well as the cold brutality of a world that is not what we would like it to be.
The soft-Steampunk aesthetic makes for a remarkable and beautiful backdrop to this exploration of female empowerment and discovery of the wider world, warts and all.

Definitely recommended as the wife and I are still discussing it the next morning.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Re: Movie: Poor Things

Post by hepcat »

The Lobster was a fantastic movie, so I’m really looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the review!
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What's the movie about other than 2 hours?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:52 am What's the movie about other than 2 hours?
Without going into spoiler territory, it's a variation on the Frankenstein theme. Only with a lot more naked Emma Stone.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thankfully Poor Things is still in theaters, so I was able to see it this weekend.

What an accomplishment. It is bizarre, the events depicted are far removed from my experience, and yet I found it incredibly relatable. At its root, I believe it's a movie about growing up and coming to terms with the realities of the world, good and bad.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is on Disney+ now (in Canada). I guess that means that Bella is a Disney Princess... :coffee:
Spoiler:
Possibly the horniest of the Disney Princesses.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Brian

Post by Brian »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:22 am This is on Disney+ now (in Canada). I guess that means that Bella is a Disney Princess... :coffee:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ain't no way she is hornier than Belle. She was full on ready to bone the Beast as is. She had no idea he was going to turn in to a handsome prince.

Which also raises the question, did the Beast have a regular, bell-end dangler or did he have one of those red rocket things like a dog?

I need to know for my fanfiction.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:22 am This is on Disney+ now (in Canada). I guess that means that Bella is a Disney Princess... :coffee:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ain't no way she is hornier than Belle. She was full on ready to bone the Beast as is. She had no idea he was going to turn in to a handsome prince.

Which also raises the question, did the Beast have a regular, bell-end dangler or did he have one of those red rocket things like a dog?

I need to know for my fanfiction.
Spoiler:
You seem to really be hung up on cartoon character sex organs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Brian

Post by Brian »

As previously noted, if I want my fanfic to be accurate, these are the details I'm going to need.

I mean....

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Feeling a bit empathetic for her ears right now.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just watched this. Definitely not family fare. One thing wasn't clear to me:
Spoiler:
What was the relationship between Bella and her unborn child? Did Godwin transplant the baby's brain into her body?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Yes, that's exactly what happens.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm usually down for artsy movies but this one did not click for me whatsoever. I'm a big fan of every actor in the movie but I struggled to get through this. Just not for me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apparently this is streaming on Disney

That seems... odd.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s actually streaming on Hulu. You can get a bundle with Disney and Hulu (which is what I do) that will allow you to watch Hulu stuff on Disney and vice versa.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ah. That makes more sense. the Ringer had it as Disney+ in their streaming guide
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:16 pm It’s actually streaming on Hulu. You can get a bundle with Disney and Hulu (which is what I do) that will allow you to watch Hulu stuff on Disney and vice versa.
It's a regional thing. Here in Canada it is carried on Disney+ in the Star content hub.
Star (stylized as ST★R) is a content hub within the Disney+ streaming service that launched on February 23, 2021. The hub is available in a subset of countries where Disney+ is operated. In Latin America, a separate streaming service, Star+, was launched on August 31, 2021.

Star features a large library of television and film content from the libraries of Disney subsidiaries, including FX Networks, Hulu, Freeform, ABC Signature, MTM Enterprises, Touchstone Television, 20th Television, 20th Television Animation, 20th Century Studios, 20th Century Animation, Searchlight Pictures, Touchstone Pictures and Hollywood Pictures. It also features licensed non-Disney branded content through Disney Platform Distribution.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch