Everything Godzilla

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Everything Godzilla

Post by hepcat »

I was just reading about that budget. 15 million in an American blockbuster would get you Tony Danza and 4 minutes of CGI.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Three of that being his hair.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's 72.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just saw a matinee. Great, great film. I'm a middling Godzilla guy at best, and I would encourage any like-minded souls to go see this movie ASAP.

And there were about 40 people in the theater, at 12:10 on a Tuesday. Compare and contrast to the 12 that were in the theater for The Marvels on a Saturday.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Wow.

Saw the IMAX version of Godzilla Minus One last night, and we thought it was superb. The IMAX sounds and visuals are truly phenomenal, so I'd highly, highly recommend watching the IMAX version if at all possible in your locale.

No question, this was definitely my favourite movie of 2023, and I feel full of pity for those who will likely miss out on enjoying this because it has English subtitles.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m caught up on Monarch now. And while it has moments of Kaiju goodness, it also has an exhausting amount of soap opera crap you have to wade through before you get to the giant monster fun.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife loves Godzilla and giant monster movies. We started watching Monarch last night. It’s good but she would prefer it had more monsters.

I’ll have to find a way to get her to the theater to see this movie that’s out.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:44 pm I’m caught up on Monarch now. And while it has moments of Kaiju goodness, it also has an exhausting amount of soap opera crap you have to wade through before you get to the giant monster fun.
Is it worth the payout? I fell asleep almost immediately while watching it with my son, probably due to said soap opera-ishness. Apparently he liked it, but I am REALLY averse to that style drama, and it has ruined many a great show/franchise for me in the past. Won't name names because some here will get offended. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The first couple of episodes it wasn’t so bad. But around episode 3 they just went down this long road with one of the off screen character’s kids and thier emotional journey to accepting their dad’s secret life. And it is just excruciatingly boring. I mean, you’ve got Kurt Russel and giant monsters, for Christ’s sake. Play to your strengths.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm enjoying Monarch with some reservations. The chief one being it has pacing issues. I don't generally mind the wrapper story and that is take it or leave it the "Godzilla format". Family melodrama interrupted by monster battles.

The issue is that the balance is off. There is too little monster action so far. The show has leaned more towards a low stakes Hardy Boys mystery about the father. I'm hoping that is going to tie into a larger mystery that'll move the plot along.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After about 300 minutes of air time, there has been approximately 9 minutes of actual giant monsters. About 61 minutes have been (mostly) fun throwback scenes of the early years of Monarch. The other 230 minutes have been the annoying daughter and son wondering around bemoaning how they never knew their father. I'm also hoping that those latter scenes lead somewhere more interesting, but right now it just feels like padding to get a series out of a show that doesn't want to spend the money on big monsters.
Spoiler:
I will say that the latest episode did feature more of the kids' bemoaning the loss of their father...a lot of it...but it also added a look at post Godzilla San Francisco and how it's being treated like a natural disaster, with FEMA putting in trailer parks to house folks displaced by the carnage. I found that somewhat interesting and wish they'd focus on that more as the wrap around story, and not the overly melodramatic story of the son and daughter.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Finished up S1 of Monarch and I'd give it a solid...6 out of 10. Not great. Not terrible. I can see why a lot of folks might not like it though because the only "Legacy of Monsters" you'll get is if you review the legacy in different, older Kaiju movies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's about where I'm at if asked how to rate it. I'm going to catch up on the last episode tonight, but it did become somewhat better in the last couple of episodes.

But yeah, for a show that's supposed to be about giant monsters, it has a glaring lack of giant monsters.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This thread cannot be complete without:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It also needs Godzooky to be complete

He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

Just got back from seeing Godzilla Minus One. It is a really good movie. I saw it in black & white so don't know if that added anything. Will watch the color version someday as I think it is well worth watching again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There’s a black and white version?

Edit: looked it up. I didn’t realize they were releasing a version in B&W. Now I wanna see that too.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What if you just stream it and turn the color off?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is there a “color off” setting on your tv? :?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:43 pm Is there a “color off” setting on your tv? :?
Yes, it's under Settings>Picture>Expert Settings>Color. It's a slider you can slide all the way off.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's all been downhill since the "color" fad started.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:01 am
hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:43 pm Is there a “color off” setting on your tv? :?
Yes, it's under Settings>Picture>Expert Settings>Color. It's a slider you can slide all the way off.
Never noticed that. Interesting.

edit: in reading up on the B&W version, it seems they hired the same colorist to "de colorize" it. The end result is supposed to make Godzilla look ultra realistic by making everything look like an old 40's war time documentary. I suspect just turning off the color on your TV won't give you the same effect.
He won. Period.