Yasser Arafat in coma

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

IHateMorrowind

Yasser Arafat in coma

Post by IHateMorrowind »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 205752&e=1

WABC-TV in New York just reported that he had lost consciousness and was in a coma.

A pity. As much as I wanted him to get up close and personal with an Israeli F-15, this is one human being the concept of "slow and painful death" was meant for.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Do I have to wear a tinfoil hat, if the the first word that came to my head was "Mossad"?
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Naw. Arafat has been dying for a long time. And while it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, his death isn't likely to help Israel much.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Just what the mideast crisis needs. A bloody struggle to fill a Palestinian power vacuum...
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Little Raven wrote:Naw. Arafat has been dying for a long time. And while it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, his death isn't likely to help Israel much.
It might. If he goes, we might finally get to see who is really pulling the strings behind the PLO.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

dangerballs wrote:It might. If he goes, we might finally get to see who is really pulling the strings behind the PLO.
Very unlikely. Much more likely is that the PLO simply collapses altogether. Again, there's a certain karmic satisfaction there, but the reality isn't very pleasant. The only organization that can succeed the PLO is Hamas.

And we all know what a bunch of sweeties they are.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

You may worry about the uncertainty of the power vacuum, but I do not. It's time to shake up the status quo and see what comes out because the status quo has been 30 years of the same never-ending shit.

The Palestinian people have a chance here if they exert their will.
noun

Post by noun »

Man. Can we fit another global event or two to coincide with the 2004 election? I don't think we have enough variables happening yet.

What a freaky, freaky year.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I think Palestine will be so much better off without this guy.
I can't wait to see what powers step up to take his place, and I hope it isn't any more bloody than the current infighting.
And IHate, you know that nobody deserves a slow death except Jerry Bruckheimer and perhaps Michael Bay.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

And Castro just keeps putting along.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Dirt wrote:And Castro just keeps putting along.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Poleaxe wrote:You may worry about the uncertainty of the power vacuum, but I do not. It's time to shake up the status quo and see what comes out because the status quo has been 30 years of the same never-ending shit.

The Palestinian people have a chance here if they exert their will.
Agreed.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Eduardo, dont forget that fucker that created the tv show "Full House"! He should die extremely slow for putting the late 80's early 90's kids through so much hell! :wink:

God I hated that show!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Yankeeman84 wrote:Eduardo, dont forget that fucker that created the tv show "Full House"! He should die extremely slow for putting the late 80's early 90's kids through so much hell! :wink:

God I hated that show!
You forgot about the part where they burdened us with the Olsen twins too. :x
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Interesting that this comes the day after the Knesset voted to pull out of Gaza. Maybe the news was just too much for old Yasser. :wink:
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Yasser Arafat in coma
I'm pretty certain this was a B-Side by The Smiths.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Correct Biyobi!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Fireball1244 wrote:Just what the mideast crisis needs. A bloody struggle to fill a Palestinian power vacuum...
Or, possibly, a bloody struggle to actually establish a power structure in Palestine that has proper control of the PLO, Hamas, and various other factions.

A revamped and properly united Palestinian leadership might be just what the Middle East needs - and it's not like the extra drops of blood to get it won't fit in the bucket.

- Ash
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Hey, now! Show a little respect here gents, we are discussing a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, after all. :P
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Yasser Arafat in coma
I'm pretty certain this was a B-Side by The Smiths.
I know, I know, it's serious.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Hey, now! Show a little respect here gents, we are discussing a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, after all. :P
Kissinger won too! What a joke!
Might as well give it to Stalin for ending the war against Germany.
-AttAdude
CSL

Re: Yasser Arafat in coma

Post by CSL »

IHateMorrowind wrote:A pity. As much as I wanted him to get up close and personal with an Israeli F-15, this is one human being the concept of "slow and painful death" was meant for.
While I do agree with you in theory, you do know that this would result in the bloodiest Intifada we've seen yet. Hell when he dies I wouldn't be surprised if the men behind the scenes called for another Intifada for the "martyr".
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

CSL wrote:While I do agree with you in theory, you do know that this would result in the bloodiest Intifada we've seen yet. Hell when he dies I wouldn't be surprised if the men behind the scenes called for another Intifada for the "martyr".
No one lives forever. What comes may be terrible but what comes after may be better.

Arafat had the chance to redeem all of his murders, all of his corruption, all of the misery he'd caused, for a brief moment. If he'd possessed the vision to accept the deal brokered by Clinton before Al Aqsa, maybe (just maybe) this would be a better world for his having lived in it.

I regret that he won't die in a hail of bullets. Israeli bullets or Palestinian bullets would be equally just for all the trouble he's caused those two peoples.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Hmmm, a pro-Israel friend of mide said he'd be throwing a party and providing all of the alcohol when Arafat kicked off.... time to look into some plane tickets ;)
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Tareeq wrote: Arafat had the chance to redeem all of his murders, all of his corruption, all of the misery he'd caused, for a brief moment. If he'd possessed the vision to accept the deal brokered by Clinton before Al Aqsa, maybe (just maybe) this would be a better world for his having lived in it.
That deal was pretty shitty for the Palestinians. I don't know why anyone would accept that.

It seems his health is improving. I hope he steps down or something. I was sure he would be marginalized when he was pushed out of being prime minister, but alas, that didn't work.
-AttAdude
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

CeeKay wrote:Hmmm, a pro-Israel friend of mide said he'd be throwing a party and providing all of the alcohol when Arafat kicked off.... time to look into some plane tickets ;)
Bad idea! :shock:
-AttAdude
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Eduardo X wrote:
CeeKay wrote:Hmmm, a pro-Israel friend of mide said he'd be throwing a party and providing all of the alcohol when Arafat kicked off.... time to look into some plane tickets ;)
Bad idea! :shock:
oh no no, not tickets to over there. tickets to where my friend currently lives in central Ohio :lol:
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Eduardo X wrote:...nobody deserves a slow death except Jerry Bruckheimer and perhaps Michael Bay.
This is a first. I agree with Ed!!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Suprising news on the Arafat story: Not only does he wear some kick ass pajamas, but he's decided to come out of the closet! Look how much happier he is now:

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Suprising news on the Arafat story: Not only does he wear some kick ass pajamas, but he's decided to come out of the closet! Look how much happier he is now:

Is it just me or is that Fred Sampson?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Arafat's survived everything from assassination attempts to plane crash, I wouldn't count Arafat out quite yet - not until he's dead and buried (and his head is seperated from his body :twisted: ).

His death, should it happen, would undoutably be good news over the long run. Over the middle term, it can go two major directions - that the terrorists gain power, or that the moderates do. The second is certainly perferrable, but even if the terrorists gain control and start escalating attacks, Israel will have far more freedom to deal with the terrorists, and it will also be easier to do so, since they will have to be a lot more visible to maintain control. Over the shorter term, however, it will mean increased instability, which may jeapordize the success of the gaza pullout (though I'm guessing it will have a better chance at success than if Arafat maintains control).

Palestinian reaction is mixed
Others in Ramallah were indifferent to Arafat's departure or even rejoicing over it. "I was busy opening up my shop, I didn't notice he was gone," said the owner of a fruits and vegetables stand just outside the Muqataa.

"Good riddance, I hope he and his gang of thugs never come back," said Abu Hussein, a 48-year-old businessman walking in downtown Ramallah.

"I used to respect Arafat when he was in exile but since he's been here, we've seen his true face. He and his cronies have stolen money, sold our land and sent our youths to be slaughtered during the intifada," he added.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

He's gone back into a coma again...

Can't he make up his mind and stop with these flip flops?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nade wrote:He's gone back into a coma again...

Can't he make up his mind and stop with these flip flops?
What a shame....that justice will never get its crack at him.

Edited for Da Speling