2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Carona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by malchior »

:doh:

President Trump says the 1st known case of an American dying of the novel coronavirus was a woman.

WA governor says, per state Department of Health and the King County (Seattle) Public Health Department, it was a man.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That man coughing with his kid and drinking out of her water is a fucking damn moron and he makes me mad. He really believes what he is told by unknowing health officials? If that was me Id quarantine myself in a motel room away from my family if I was like that. If his child dies I doubt he has enough brainpower to realize it was his fault.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 pm That man coughing with his kid and drinking out of her water is a fucking damn moron and he makes me mad. He really believes what he is told by unknowing health officials? If that was me Id quarantine myself in a motel room away from my family if I was like that. If his child dies I doubt he has enough brainpower to realize it was his fault.
Besides the idiotic cross contamination the next best claim is that he is coughing due to nervousness. You are watching cognitive dissonance right on video.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW (and I have no idea what video is being discussed), I often break out in heavy coughing fits. My cancer left changes to my tongue and throat that make it really easy for me to aspirate liquid, be it a drink or my own saliva. BadDemo and Brian have had to listen to me hacking away on Discord so often they can probably back me up.

I have a feeling I'll be getting dirty looks when it happens in public. Which it does.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:47 pm Well, they can't play the 'nobody has died in the US' card anymore.

First US death in Washington state.
oh guess what... i work in Kirkland.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh god... and I just read your post without a mask!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ton-state/

dozens confirmed infected in Kirkland

wonder what work's going to be like on Monday...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. I really hope they can figure out how this started - that will be critical information for future prevention.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 pm https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ton-state/

There goes the dam.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

unfortunate headline:
Oregon elementary school shuts down employee diagnosed with presumptive case
last i heard this isn't North Korea (i read that their first CoViD-19 case was in fact executed upon diagnosis, but that _could_ be propaganda)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

hitbyambulance wrote:https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ton-state/

That is not what the article says. 2 confirmed. 25 with symptoms.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

noxiousdog wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 pm

52 with symptoms, but yeah, not confirmed.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:57 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 pm

52 with symptoms, but yeah, not confirmed.
i'm just speaking from the future. seems reasonable to assume they'll be confirmed in a couple days.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 pmi'm just speaking from the future. seems reasonable to assume they'll be confirmed in a couple days.
At the Kirkland facility, 27 residents and 25 employees have symptoms.
Test results are ~24 hours to confirm, so by tomorrow afternoon it should be known. I would be amazed if all 52 are positive, but any number is a non-good outcome in an isolated facility that's taking care of a high risk population. Also remember now that for those 25 employees, there's going to be follow up for all them (families, spouse/partner) along with any travel they did. Same for the 27 residents if they had visitors. Everyone they came in contact with over the last week, checking in with them to see if they have any symptoms. This is where things get overwhelmed quickly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another problem is if someone is sick they will more than likely hide themselves and not tell anyone. They dont want the public attention or to be quarantined from their loved ones.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think that’s really going to happen.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would think you’ve seen enough zombie films.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Based on sequencing from the WA community case there is a chance that COVID-19 has been spreading in WA for up to 6 weeks. Maybe hundreds of cases there.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Probably the mildness of symptoms is the primary driver of the spread. How many people go about their business with a low fever or cough? We've all been in the situation where we needed to go to work or get something done and if we're not feeling miserable we don't feel we need or have an excuse to stay home.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:19 pm FWIW (and I have no idea what video is being discussed)
Video is linked in the the first post of page 2.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 pm Another problem is if someone is sick they will more than likely hide themselves and not tell anyone. They dont want the public attention or to be quarantined from their loved ones.
Actually. I’m pretty sure I’d seek out medical help rather than self quarantine myself without help or worse, just chill with my family and risk killing them all???

I think you’re being absurd here.

“if a person is sick they will more than likely hide themselves and not tell anyone”

This isn’t the Walking Dead where someone is hiding a scratch.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 pm Another problem is if someone is sick they will more than likely hide themselves and not tell anyone. They dont want the public attention or to be quarantined from their loved ones.
Actually. I’m pretty sure I’d seek out medical help rather than self quarantine myself without help or worse, just chill with my family and risk killing them all???

I think you’re being absurd here.

“if a person is sick they will more than likely hide themselves and not tell anyone”

This isn’t the Walking Dead where someone is hiding a scratch.
Just because you have a fever and or cough does not mean you have the carona virus. You may get it if they put you in with those that do. No community has a hospital that has beds for every one who thinks they have it. Also if you do have a fever or cough already then you have already infected your family days before the symptoms showed up.

Only those with breathing problems should be going to the ER. They are the ones that may need ventilation. Right now almost half the people that were infected have recovered.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

From what I'm reading in the news - we have no way to know how bad the spread is because the test kits were flawed.

Anecdotally, within my friends group we had a friend who developed a 'cold' last month who died unexpectedly due to a respiratory ailment. We were shocked obviously. She wasn't a picture of health but wasn't what you would consider at first glance "at risk". What has people speculating in our circle was she had tested negative for the flu. She called it the most horrible cold she ever had. She had gone to the hospital a couple of times during the week leading up to her death. Her last post was about 12 hours before she died and she was talking about how she was going again because breathing was very difficult. I think the timing is off but still it makes us wonder if it has hit more people than we know of.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

malchior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:10 pm I think the timing is off but still it makes us wonder if it has hit more people than we know of.
So maybe the bad flu season isn't necessarily a "bad" flu season after all?
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Washington Post just linked to a Frontline Assembly song from 1990 (Virus) to "sum up the week".

This is truly the weirdest timeline ever.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The business impact of this virus must be really manifesting itself for airlines. I have received email from 2 major airlines I regularly fly that they will waive change and cancellation fee for travel booked for certain windows. The airline I fly the most (Delta) only has announced waiving fees to certain destinations which I expect to change shortly.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

UsulofDoom wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:18 pm Just because you have a fever and or cough does not mean you have the carona virus. You may get it if they put you in with those that do. No community has a hospital that has beds for every one who thinks they have it. Also if you do have a fever or cough already then you have already infected your family days before the symptoms showed up.
Of course.
I didn't mean to imply that I would visit the dr. unless I felt very ill. My pushback was to the idea that someone would avoid help when they felt they had it. And I wouldn't keep my family from visiting the Dr. either.

(this seems to be passed even Before someone exhibits symptoms, so my point wasn't about keeping the family from being infected, but rather keeping them also from seeking help)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm The business impact of this virus must be really manifesting itself for airlines.
as it should, right... I mean, they are THE vector for this shit to spread unlike the Black Death ever could.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 pm Washington Post just linked to a Frontline Assembly song from 1990 (Virus) to "sum up the week".

This is truly the weirdest timeline ever.
But clearly not the coolest one, or they would have linked to the KMFDM song. (Potentially NSFW for illustrated boobie cover art and characteristically inane lyrics.)
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:00 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm The business impact of this virus must be really manifesting itself for airlines.
as it should, right... I mean, they are THE vector for this shit to spread unlike the Black Death ever could.
Of course airplanes can spread coronavirus more quickly and more widely than fleas did, but the simple fact of modern medical knowledge means you're FAR better off vacationing in 2020 Wuhan than in 1348 Venice.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As mentioned, I've been part of numerous tabletop exercises. I've sat on emergency preparedness committees. This is way above my pay grade, but I cannot make sense of it:
Two HHS officials — Darcie Johnston, director of intergovernmental affairs, and Kevin Yeskey, principal deputy assistant secretary for preparedness and response — said in a Feb. 23 meeting with local officials that the patients would be flown from California to the Fort McClellan Army Airfield in Anniston, according to multiple local officials.

The airfield was closed when the Army base was shuttered in 1999. Local officials said they told the HHS officials during the meeting the runway was in bad shape.
This sounds like someone at HHS randomly (?) selecting a site without checking current site status. Want more?
The HHS plan also called for housing coronavirus patients at the Center for Domestic Preparedness, a FEMA facility on the old Army base and one of several redevelopment projects at the sprawling outpost.

The dorms normally house emergency responders from around the country.

But the center doesn’t have any special capabilities for handling infectious diseases, local officials said. The center is used for training. It has isolation hospital rooms — located in a former Army hospital building — but they are mostly just props, with fake equipment and light switches that exist only as paint on walls.

Meanwhile, federal officials never contacted the town’s hospital, Regional Medical Center, about handling covid-19 patients, said Louis Bass, the hospital’s chief executive.
Again, to me this sounds like federal agency that has been caught with its pants down and is scrambling to do something.

This week is going to be great. Buckle up.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Surprise in the spoiler link below.

A Poll in today’s New York Post says that 77% of “U.S. adults have confidence in their government’s ability to handle the Coronavirus (Number One), compared to other health threats.” 64% for Zika, 58% for Ebola. Others way down on list. Our professionals are doing a great job!
Spoiler:
This polls was taken weeks ago, before the market downturn, and before his two insane news conferences.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Guy returns from trip to Japan, got sick, went to the hospital and when they wanted to test for COVID-19, and hasn't been tested because he wasn't hospitalized
At NYU Brooklyn, they put him in isolation, and ran a battery of tests for other things - all negative. Then, per protocol, they called the CDC, because NYU Suspect COVID-19, but the CDC said no.

The CDC says they thought he wasn't sick enough - even though public health experts say most coronavirus cases are more minor, and it flies in the face of what the CDC said on a press call on Friday.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile one of the people evacuated from Wuhan was released from quarantine then tested positive and had to be brought back into quarantine. The CDC is looking like a shit show at the moment.
The CDC has mistakenly released a patient from the Texas Center for Infectious Disease whose test later came back positive for COVID-19, says San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg.

The patient was part of the group that came back from Wuhan, China over two weeks ago via a State Department chartered flight. According to the CDC, the patient was asymptomatic and had met all of the CDC's criteria for release. Two tests, taken 24 hours apart, had tested negative for the virus and the CDC cleared the patient. However, a later test sample came back and was determined to be "weakly" positive for COVID-19.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I want Trump charged with negligent homicide for every death on US soil that can be linked back to people he evacuated.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:59 pm Case in point:
Rep. John Garamendi (D-Calif.) on Friday said the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases was told to "stand down" and not appear on five Sunday morning talk shows to discuss the coronavirus.

Garamendi told MSNBC's Hallie Jackson that Anthony Fauci was scheduled to do all five major Sunday talk shows, but says Fauci canceled the appearances after Vice President Pence took over the administration's response to the disease.
This is not normal. I have no point of comparison for this, but it's pants-on-head insane.
I will never again think it totally implausible when I'm watching a zombie movie and they talk about the government inaction making it worse. Instead I'll be grimacing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:12 pm As mentioned, I've been part of numerous tabletop exercises. I've sat on emergency preparedness committees. This is way above my pay grade, but I cannot make sense of it:

This week is going to be great. Buckle up.
I just got around to reading that WaPo piece. I wish I could say it was shocking. It's just the natural course of the GOP's and particularly this President's flight from science and valuing loyalty above competence. This is his Katrina moment and I hope it won't get people killed but that seems unlikely. Meanwhile he's sitting around bitching on Twitter about the Dems.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

One of the things that keeps coming back to me is that our economy/society here in America isn't built at all for this sort of thing. I know that, on the surface, that's not rocket science -- what economy is? I'm talking more about health care costs and savings. Are you going to go get treated for a cough or the flu when it can mean out-of-pocket expenses that aren't in your budget? Are you going to ask to get tested for Corona given the high price of the test? Factor in that just about half of Americans are estimated to be living paycheck-to-paycheck -- how many people are going to take off work even though they might be sick? How many more people might they correspondingly infect? And if the order comes down to limit or shut down businesses temporarily, what happens to people if they can't get a paycheck? If they can't pay rent, that cascades through another sector of the economy. We're already starting to see the slowdown with air travel and conventions being cancelled.
Last edited by Dogstar on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The scary thing is that even competent governments are having difficulty containing it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:00 pm
Of course airplanes can spread coronavirus more quickly and more widely than fleas did, but the simple fact of modern medical knowledge means you're FAR better off vacationing in 2020 Wuhan than in 1348 Venice.
And I’m sure the airline industry felt it then too.

In any case, I’ve played enough Plague Inc to know that as soon a as Greenland and Cuba are hit, it’s game over.