Star Wars: The Old Republic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Sepiche »

Smoove_B wrote:They haven't actually confirmed a release date yet either, right? Or the specific pricing plan?
According to the email I got with the pre-order release date is "Holiday 2011".
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Highly dubious...

It is nice to see that they're including a "Custom Security Authentication Key" with the $150 collector's edition. Hopefully that means EA will be pushing these kinds of things out for all of their online / account games (like the Blizzard Authenticator).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Why the hell are they charging 150 bucks for the collector's edition? I am not that into The Old Republic, I'm not paying double for the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have 2 collector's editions for WoW and it's first expansion. Both those pushed 100 bucks if I remember correctly. That was a bit much, but I'm not too into the knick knacks and such.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Word over at GT is that you need to go enter the pre-order code to get early access, and they'll be scaling the access based on the order that you enter the code. So if you've ordered it and received the code, you better go enter it now.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:Word over at GT is that you need to go enter the pre-order code to get early access, and they'll be scaling the access based on the order that you enter the code. So if you've ordered it and received the code, you better go enter it now.
That's the word here too. :)
coopasonic wrote:
Avenger wrote:It says that the order that you register your pre-order is the order that they accept you to the beta, so I registered my pre-order.
FAQ:
Does pre-ordering affect my chances of being accepted into the Game Testing Program for Star Wars: The Old Republic?

No, pre-ordering the Game in no way affects your chances of gaining entrance to the Game Testing Program. However, the sooner you redeem your Pre-Order Code the sooner you will be eligible to gain Early Game Access.
The pre-order page:
The order in which you redeem your Pre-order Code is the order in which you will gain Early Game Access before the game’s official release.
They are talking about early access to the release.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:

Enlarge Image
Jag

Post by Jag »

We always do.

In on the Digital Deluxe

<-----sucker
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In on the base version.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Doomboy wrote:Why the hell are they charging 150 bucks for the collector's edition? I am not that into The Old Republic, I'm not paying double for the game.
Well it comes with a 9" Gentle Giant statuette. If you check the Gentle Giant website those typically go for $95. So if you add in the other random stuff it comes with -- booklet, galaxy map, authentication key, etc. -- it's really not unreasonably priced, if you want the statuette. I thought about it, but decided if I was going to spring $95 for a Star Wars statuette, I'm not sure Darth Malagus is the one I'd want.

If SWTOR ends up as popular as it likely will, there's probably a good chance you'll be able to get a statuette of your character for not much more. Although I suppose the Gentle Giant one does look nicer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to never get collector's ones but now I can't resist them.

Hmmm I wanted the collectors but once I saw those cool statues at the Giant website I want slave gile Leia more..or others
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Pre-ordered the standard edition and, masochistic sucker that I am, went with the Origin DL version. I know I'm probably going to regret that...

- Ash
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

ydejin wrote:
Doomboy wrote:Why the hell are they charging 150 bucks for the collector's edition? I am not that into The Old Republic, I'm not paying double for the game.
Well it comes with a 9" Gentle Giant statuette. If you check the Gentle Giant website those typically go for $95. So if you add in the other random stuff it comes with -- booklet, galaxy map, authentication key, etc. -- it's really not unreasonably priced, if you want the statuette. I thought about it, but decided if I was going to spring $95 for a Star Wars statuette, I'm not sure Darth Malagus is the one I'd want.

If SWTOR ends up as popular as it likely will, there's probably a good chance you'll be able to get a statuette of your character for not much more. Although I suppose the Gentle Giant one does look nicer.
I'd like the in-game stuff, but I have absolutely no use for a giant statue of Darth Whatever. So I guess I will eventually get the regular old version and be constantly annoyed that I didn't get the cool in-game stuff.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Doomboy wrote:
ydejin wrote:

I'd like the in-game stuff, but I have absolutely no use for a giant statue of Darth Whatever. So I guess I will eventually get the regular old version and be constantly annoyed that I didn't get the cool in-game stuff.
Sound like you should go with the Digital Deluxe Version unless you've got a bad Internet connection and downloading would be really painful. The Digital Deluxe Version has most of the in-game items of the Collector's Edition except that the Collector's Edition gets a Mouse Droid Pet and access to the Exclusive In-Game Store (which Bioware is claiming is really kind of a VIP Lounge, not something that will allow purchases of super-powerful items).
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Amazon has a release date of 12/31. Let's see if that changes.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sectoid wrote:Amazon has a release date of 12/31. Let's see if that changes.
That's not a release date, that's a placeholder. Someone said "this year" so that's what they put down I assume.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

coopasonic wrote:
That's not a release date, that's a placeholder. Someone said "this year" so that's what they put down I assume.
Neither Best Buy nor Gamestop have a date, yet. So, you are probably right. I'm hoping sooner, but will probably disappointed.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Sectoid wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Neither Best Buy nor Gamestop have a date, yet. So, you are probably right. I'm hoping sooner, but will probably disappointed.
I'll be surprised (but not shocked) if it's not out sometime in November. I'm sure they are trying very hard to get it in stores while they can still make Christmas sales.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

ydejin wrote:
Sectoid wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
I'll be surprised (but not shocked) if it's not out sometime in November. I'm sure they are trying very hard to get it in stores while they can still make Christmas sales.
If the rumors are true that they are going to run large betas in september, then my money is on November 22nd as a release date.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

ydejin wrote:
Doomboy wrote:
ydejin wrote:

Sound like you should go with the Digital Deluxe Version unless you've got a bad Internet connection and downloading would be really painful. The Digital Deluxe Version has most of the in-game items of the Collector's Edition except that the Collector's Edition gets a Mouse Droid Pet and access to the Exclusive In-Game Store (which Bioware is claiming is really kind of a VIP Lounge, not something that will allow purchases of super-powerful items).
Good point. I will look into this. Thanks.
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

Folks in Asia are not able to pre-order, 'twould seem.

Including folks in Australia and New Zealand.

Ah well, this is why we have US based Proxy Servers...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Er, guild creation has been up for several months.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeeMDUdx ... r_embedded" target="_blank

This just looks damn fun! I cannot wait on this game. I plan to spend every waking minute in it. God this could be my dream game MMO. We shall see. I see nothing about it that bothers me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I really wish I could comment on that...
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Can't. Stop. Playing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Do we know system spec requirements yet? I've never played an MMO, but this one may get me (assuming I can get a computer to run it).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Any decent computer made in the past couple years will run it fine.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

stessier wrote:Do we know system spec requirements yet? I've never played an MMO, but this one may get me (assuming I can get a computer to run it).
http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#171060
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I might recommend putting this game on an SSD as well :). Think I might go out and get one just for this game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

When does the NDA end? I'm not interested in checking it out myself, yet, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

No word on when the NDA will end. Some companies don't ever end the NDA on betas. Blizzard does (when friends and family alpha/beta ends and "open" beta begins, the NDA usually comes off), but other companies don't ever want you talking about the state of the game in beta.

We'll see which type Bioware ends up being. I hope it's the former so I can talk about the game, but like I said, there's no sign of the NDA ending any time in the near future.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It seems foolish to have an open beta with an NDA, but what do I know.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

As far as I know, there are no plans for a true open beta for ToR. They havn't announced one, anyway, and they're supposed to be still on track for releasing for the holiday season, so they don't have a lot of beta time left.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zurai wrote:As far as I know, there are no plans for a true open beta for ToR. They havn't announced one, anyway, and they're supposed to be still on track for releasing for the holiday season, so they don't have a lot of beta time left.
Heh, tell that to the guys working on the game without any sleep for the next 2 months. :lol:
Jag

Post by Jag »

Canceling my preorder. This doesn't appear to be anything but an older version of a reskinned WoW clone in the SW universe.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Jag wrote:Canceling my preorder. This doesn't appear to be anything but an older version of a reskinned WoW clone in the SW universe.
Is that based on playing the game or just the coverage of it?

- Ash
Jag

Post by Jag »

Um, can't say. Haven't read any coverage though. :ninja:

It appears to be a complete WoW clone, derivative and unoriginal complete with artificial time wasters and fedex questing....hypothetically.

Regardless, I was really looking forward to it and pre-ordered on day 1. They are wiping characters for a new build, but I don't even know if its worth redownloading the 27GB of data again.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jag wrote:Canceling my preorder. This doesn't appear to be anything but an older version of a reskinned WoW clone in the SW universe.
For those of us who live under rocks and have never played WoW, would we hypothetically still have fun?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Absolutely. I think the game will still be fun, but for people who burnt out on that model of gameplay ...'this is not the mmo you are looking for'.