THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by Scuzz »

I think New Years Day bowl watching was a tradition for a large number of people. Even without a rooting interest. It is also the tradition that is the biggest loser.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:50 am Trying to reconcile that level of emotion and meaningfulness with watching multiple players on both teams simply opt out of the Rose Bowl - the Rose Bowl - because it really meant nothing to them was honestly a little difficult to do.
I should probably clarify that last statement. I don't begrudge the kids at all for opting out of the game. Risking injury and a potential NFL career because us olds are nostalgic for the bowl games of old would be a very dumb thing to do.

That said, it's still difficult for my brain to process someone deciding not to play in the Rose Bowl game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:50 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:50 am Trying to reconcile that level of emotion and meaningfulness with watching multiple players on both teams simply opt out of the Rose Bowl - the Rose Bowl - because it really meant nothing to them was honestly a little difficult to do.
I should probably clarify that last statement. I don't begrudge the kids at all for opting out of the game. Risking injury and a potential NFL career because us olds are nostalgic for the bowl games of old would be a very dumb thing to do.

That said, it's still difficult for my brain to process someone deciding not to play in the Rose Bowl game.
Especially one of the last traditional ones. It's the kind of memory you tell you grandkids about.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apparently Oklahoma's entire OL is in the portal...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Fun Marcus Mariota story from his time at Oregon (form Canzano's Newsletter):
Have you heard the one about Marcus Mariota?

Scott Frost, the former Oregon assistant, told a great joke about Marcus Mariota a few years ago when he was accepting an award at the Broyles Award ceremony.

“Mariota’s best attribute,” Frost said, “is how quick-witted he is.”

Frost set the bit up beautifully. He claimed that Mariota had to take a part-time job in Eugene to help ends meet during his freshman season at Oregon. The quarterback found a job working at a local grocery store.

Said Frost: “He was at the register one day and this great big woman comes in and says ‘I’d like to buy a half of a head of lettuce.’ He kind of looked at her funny and said ‘We don’t sell half heads. We only sell whole heads.’

“She got all mad.”

Mariota decided he’d better go ask his manager how to handle the situation. So he went into the back of the grocery store and found his supervisor.

Mariota told the boss: “I’ve got this great big fat woman out here who wants to buy a half-head of lettuce. What should I do?”

The UO quarterback was unaware that the woman had followed him to the back of the store, Frost said. Mariota looked over his shoulder, saw the woman standing there, and quickly called an audible.

“… and this lady wants to buy the other half.”

The line got laughs.

“So that’s how quick-witted he is,” said Frost. “The manager told him afterwards, ‘That was impressive. I can’t believe you can think that quickly on your feet.’ To which Mariota said, ‘That’s nothing. I’m used to dealing with stuff like that. I’m from Honolulu. If there’s two things we have in Honolulu, it’s great football and fat women.’”

The room broke up again. Frost paused, letting the moment breathe. But the story wasn’t done.

Frost continued: “The manager said: ‘My wife’s from Honolulu.”

Another pause and more laughs.

Then, Frost finished: “…and Marcus said ‘That’s great. What position does she play?’”

The comedic timing was perfect. Frost nailed the delivery. It’s a delightful joke with multiple layers. But the whole thing kind of makes me mad that Frost didn’t often allow media to see this side of him when he was coaching in Eugene.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:46 pm I think New Years Day bowl watching was a tradition for a large number of people. Even without a rooting interest. It is also the tradition that is the biggest loser.
And the history is all about the greed we are seeing come to a peak now:
"The reason why it [all] worked ... We were taking the college football postseason and keeping it away from the NCAA," Petitti said.

That was the understated intent from the beginning. The NCAA Tournament had long since grown into a billion-dollar enterprise profiting off men's basketball, but schools still play for monetary "units" that go into conference coffers before being divided evenly among members.

College football stakeholders wanted to keep the majority of postseason revenue for themselves. Those stakeholders -- primarily the Power Five conferences you know today -- created value for the sport they didn't wish to share.

In one prominent exchange, former WAC commissioner Karl Benson said his teams just wanted a chance to play on "the big stage."

Delany famously shot back: "The problem is your 'big stage' takes away opportunities for my teams to play on the stage they created in 1902." That was the first year of the Rose Bowl Game.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As obnoxious as a portion of our fanbase can be, at least we're not Oklahoma. Good hell.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pac-12 landing spots in 2024
Oregon: Big Ten
UCLA: Big Ten
USC: Big Ten
Washington: Big Ten
Arizona: Big 12
Arizona State: Big 12
Colorado: Big 12
Utah: Big 12
California: ACC
Stanford: ACC
Oregon State: Pac-12
Washington State: Pac-12

(not sure how much of that is news really, but I've not seen a compiled list)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Maybe change pac12 to pac2? :)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:58 pm FSU can't simply "buy their way out". In addition to paying to get out of being an ACC team they have given up the "grant of rights" for the TV rights to their games to the ACC. So even if they did pay a massive fee to leave, they wouldn't be able to make any money from TV since the ACC holds those rights. After this (now complete) season, that means they would be eating giving up around $360 million over 9 years and not have any of their games on TV. The ACC is stable for at least a "few" years unless they can get whatever majority of teams it takes to undo the grant of rights restriction.
Looks like they are going to probably try...
Florida State has called a Board of Trustees meeting for Friday, which could produce a legal filing that could start the process of challenging the ACC’s grant of rights and could lead to the Seminoles getting out of the conference, which could cause the league to splinter altogether.

That’s a lot of “coulds.”

Then again, this is conference realignment...

...Florida State is firing the first salvo this time, and the ramifications are massive for the future of college athletics.

It appears willing to barrel into the future with no known destination, no safe harbor beckoning them.

That can change, though. Everything always does.

JCC

Post by JCC »

I assume FSU has lawyers (on astronomicallly high retainers) who believe they can get out of the Grant of Rights. The irony may be that I am not sure the grass is as green for FSU as they believe. I have heard for a while that Florida is a hard "no" on adding FSU to the SEC. From the SEC point of view, I don't really get what FSU adds that they don't already have from a market perspective. (Expansion isn't a merit award, it's about more revenue from new markets/brands.) I would think Miami might be the more desirable brand. Back to Florida State I am not sure if the Big 10 gives a shit about FSU either though it would at least get them in a new TV market.

Honestly, the "crown jewel" of the ACC is UNC. Every conference would move heaven and earth to get them. They continually disappoint in football, but they are by far and away (in my view) the best brand not in the SEC or Big 10 (that isn't called Notre Dame of course). I am somewhat surprised the SEC hasn't gone after them. (And the Big 10 too for that matter.) Although I would guess the seemingly "iron clad" grant of rights may be the reason. (shrugs). As a NC State grad/fan, I have heard that UNC may be forced by the UNC system to drag NC State along with them if they want to leave. But, I don't hold out much hope for that life raft.

I do think the ACC is in trouble in the 2030's when the grant of rights deal will expire, but I think they might be ok until then.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks like Washington St and Oregon St have won the legal war over the Pac 2. This also includes the departing schools giving up some revenue from the final Pac 12 season. Hard not to feel good for Washington St/Oregon St. But, not sure how rosy their future is. I assume they will try to convince the Mountain West to rebrand as a new Pac 12. I would guess that might take over as the best "non power 4" conference given how much the American has been gutted already.... But the Pac 12 has a "power 5" conference seems not likely.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

And FSU is officially trying to lawyer their way out.

I guess we will see how "iron clad" that GoR agreement is...
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I assume some conference has given FSU reason to believe they have a place to go should they succeed in leaving the ACC.

If the ACC implodes I wonder what happens to Stanford and Cal?
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gamesmanship.
Alabama coach Nick Saban reveals why George Helow's intel on Michigan was so important
(Chase Goodbread, Tuscaloosa News)

Who better than a guy who coached Michigan's linebackers as recently as 2022 to build the Alabama football coaching staff's initial scouting report on the Wolverines?

Make no mistake, Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban sought the addition of former Alabama intern George Helow at least in part for that very purpose. And it's not the first time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is just putrid football from Utah. Our QB is currently 4-8 for 10 yards and 2 (really bad) INTs. At halftime, he has a QB rating of -8.3.

Oh, and our leading rusher left with a very nasty looking concussion (was knocked out cold).

Fun times. Imma go fire up the PS5 for the second half instead.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Utah is waiting until Christmas day to open up the offense ;)

On the other hand, Santa's sacks have made many an appearance!

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Barnes must have thought playing while in the portal would be a good opportunity to show what he could do.

Didn’t work that way.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:44 pm Barnes must have thought playing while in the portal would be a good opportunity to show what he could do.

Didn’t work that way.
Yeah, that “audition” certainly didn’t do him any favors. He was spectacularly bad tonight.

That’s now 5 straight bowl losses for Utah, that one being the ugliest. Not a good look at all. Just a garbage game to end a mostly blah season. A couple fun wins (Florida and USC) but ultimately throwaway due to the absurd number of injuries.

All I can hope for now is that everyone gets healthy to make a better run next year.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Scuzz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:44 pm Barnes must have thought playing while in the portal would be a good opportunity to show what he could do.

Didn’t work that way.
Yeah, that “audition” certainly didn’t do him any favors. He was spectacularly bad tonight.

That’s now 5 straight bowl losses for Utah, that one being the ugliest. Not a good look at all. Just a garbage game to end a mostly blah season. A couple fun wins (Florida and USC) but ultimately throwaway due to the absurd number of injuries.

All I can hope for now is that everyone gets healthy to make a better run next year.
If you don't want it, we'll take that win in SLC ;).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:39 am
Skinypupy wrote:

Didn’t work that way.

I’m sure there are several teams (UCLA included) who watched tonight’s game and said “We lost to that?!?”
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:39 am
Skinypupy wrote:

Didn’t work that way.

I’m sure there are several teams (UCLA included) who watched tonight’s game and said “We lost to that?!?”
Nah, when Garbers was out for the ASU and Cal games( and even the first half of the bowl game), it was pretty clear both how unready Moore was.

Tho if Garbers had started that game (and managed to stay healthy enough to play with how many times you sacked us, even if the number would have been lower with his pocket presence and mobility), your healthy.d-line at the time controlled that game. Tho our defense kept us in our that he may have been able to make a play or 2 to win it. Tough to say - we could not block Ellis that game.

Good luck in the Big 12 next year.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 pm What? Missouri (10 - 2) is favored over Ohio State (11 -1) by 2.5? Who came up with that line, Matthew McConaughey?
Note: OSU is now favored by 3. People should have grabbed that early line.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:34 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 pm What? Missouri (10 - 2) is favored over Ohio State (11 -1) by 2.5? Who came up with that line, Matthew McConaughey?
Note: OSU is now favored by 3. People should have grabbed that early line.
I wouldn’t bet any bowl game that didn’t mean something to the teams playing and even then I would wait until almost game time because of players choosing not to play.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The USC game is a good example. USC is down 24 players who either entered the transfer portal or chose not to play, including their Heisman winner. So the replacements beat Louisville by 14 and the replacement QB throws 6 TD’s.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:16 am The USC game is a good example. USC is down 24 players who either entered the transfer portal or chose not to play, including their Heisman winner. So the replacements beat Louisville by 14 and the replacement QB throws 6 TD’s.
Doesn't that disprove your point?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:43 am
Scuzz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:16 am The USC game is a good example. USC is down 24 players who either entered the transfer portal or chose not to play, including their Heisman winner. So the replacements beat Louisville by 14 and the replacement QB throws 6 TD’s.
Doesn't that disprove your point?
It shows why you shouldn’t bet these games. Louisville was favored going in.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It pretty much shows why you shouldn't bet ANY games ;)

At least, not for anything but entertainment.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:24 pm It pretty much shows why you shouldn't bet ANY games ;)

At least, not for anything but entertainment.
Amen! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The memes for the edible Pop Tart Bowl mascot tonight have been nothing short of glorious.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 am The memes for the edible Pop Tart Bowl mascot tonight have been nothing short of glorious.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Glad Oregon absolutely took the Fighting Fallwells to the woodshed today.

Hopefully we don’t ever have to hear about them again for another decade or so.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yup.

But I do expect they will keep throwing the church tithes into the football program and buy their way up the ladder into the Big 12...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Michigan showing up as usual.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seeing Alabama playing in the Rose Bowl just feels…wrong.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:39 pm Seeing Alabama playing in the Rose Bowl just feels…wrong.
I felt that way when Texas played USC long ago.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

What a dreadful Rose Bowl. Michigan looks like the better team, but had an awful game plan and has had awful execution. Bama made some good halftime adjustments but should not even be in this game.

But, OT...

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I was entertained.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:33 pm What a dreadful Rose Bowl.
Huh, I thought it was a pretty good game. Very entertaining throughout.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have only watched 2 games all year (the other being Michigan - OSU). The last thing I expected was a barn burner. Can you imagine the guy who almost lost the game with a muffed punt catch? At least he will probably be able to sleep at night.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter