2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Political Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Easy. Gamergaters. The anti-SJW crowd. Men's right advocates. Howard Stern fans. Those assholes who defend Weinstein as being targeted by a witch hunt. Your old crazy uncle. You know who they are. Case closed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Combustible Lemur

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am You said you weren't aware of pussy grabber constituency as a counter to a particular point, I suggested all the unsavory groups Republican candidates have intentionally courted via dog whistle, nostalgia, religious tribalism. Pussy grabbers and machismo blowhards are core of trumpism and the modern Republican party.
I'm saying you have as of yet failed to demonstrate that there is such a thing as a "pussygrabber constituency" - a significant group of people who support Trump because of sexual assault. Do that, then we can talk about everyone else :)
Because of and condoning seems like a weird distinction.
Are people who are more likely to vote for Trump because the media reported his bullshit voting for the bullshit or for the idea of sticking it to people that would hold his tribe accountable?
If Trump courts those Alabaman's who are now more likely to vote for more is he courting people who approve of child molestation? Is that not a constituency?
Trump definitely cultivated an outragous personality that played up his masculine celebrity including his watching underage girls, misogyny, and sexual assault. Often the response from voters was" we love how honest he his, he's just telling it like it is, he's a strong and powerful business man." Is there a large contingent of rapists out there saying," well shit Trumprapists 2020!, doubtful." Is there a significant number of people out there thinking, "this guy gets it! No more snowflakes trying to tell me flirting is assault." Statistics about sexual assault and harrassment would suggest there is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, those Howard Stern fans are the worst.

:idea:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Zarathud

Political Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:Yea, those Howard Stern fans are the worst.

I wouldn't expect you to understand my point. Like, ever.

The worst are the Nazis and those who defend them. There are many colors of Brownshirts.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Cards Against Humanity buys a plot of land on the Mexican border simply to fuck with Trump's wall.
The company behind Cards Against Humanity, the self-described "party game for horrible people," has purchased a vacant plot of land on the US-Mexico border, just to get in the way of President Trump's planned wall.

Cards Against Humanity harbors no illusions that it'll be able to stop the construction of the wall entirely. But the company has hired a law firm specializing in eminent domain, just "to make it as time-consuming and expensive as possible for the wall to get built," it said on a new website dubbed Cards Against Humanity Saves America."

"Donald Trump is a preposterous golem who is afraid of Mexicans" the company said on the site. "He is so afraid that he wants to build a $20 billion wall that everyone knows will accomplish nothing."
:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Of all the names and pejorative words Trump has been called, "preposterous golem" has got to be near the top for creativity, though I'm left scratching my head at the meaning of "golem" as it applies to Trump.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mysterious Radioactive Cloud Over Europe Hints At Accident Farther East
Based on the detection from monitoring stations and meteorological data, the mysterious cloud — which has since dissipated — has been traced to somewhere along the Russia-Kazakhstan border, according to Jean-Christophe Gariel, director for health at the IRSN.
Authorities say the amount of material seen in Europe was small. "It's a very low level of radioactivity and it poses no problems for health and the environment in Europe," Gariel says.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... rther-east
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am though I'm left scratching my head at the meaning of "golem" as it applies to Trump.
Well, people have described Trump as the GOP's Frankenstein monster. While golem isn't the same thing, you could use it as a metaphor for the same kind of idea.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am Of all the names and pejorative words Trump has been called, "preposterous golem" has got to be near the top for creativity, though I'm left scratching my head at the meaning of "golem" as it applies to Trump.
Reminds me of this.

"What the fuck is a golem?"

:lol:
18-1™ & 2-0
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I really need to binge watch that show at some point.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am I really need to binge watch that show at some point.
I've done it three times.

This year.

I highly recommend it. Gets better every time.
18-1™ & 2-0
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am I really need to binge watch that show at some point.
I've done it three times.

This year.

I highly recommend it. Gets better every time.
:shock:
Holy shazbot. You, sir, are a madman. Your preposterous (word of the day) fanboyism has made me move this three spots up in my "to watch" queue (displacing a re-watch of Breaking Bad). Congrats.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How do you guys have time to rewatch anything? There's too much new content. I've had to stop being such a completionist and stop watching shows/movies that are not top tier.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Where are we putting posts for this moron?

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Enough

Post by Enough »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm Where are we putting posts for this moron?

Popehat and company are having a wee with this "lawyer" on twitter lol. Good times had by all. And let me say it brings a special warmth to my heart to see someone on Twitter I've long followed (@nycsouthpaw) retweeting Popehat. :banana-dance:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/930816728455622658
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Can he lawyer up and have his lawyer tell him to shut up? LoL
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

God, this guy is positively Trumpian in his speaking. Future Attorney General of the United States, is what I see.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am Easy. Gamergaters. The anti-SJW crowd. Men's right advocates. Howard Stern fans. Those assholes who defend Weinstein as being targeted by a witch hunt. Your old crazy uncle. You know who they are. Case closed.
I highly doubt that many of the above named truly believe in and advocate sexual assault, that you should be able to go up to any woman and grab her genitals if you so choose.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm Where are we putting posts for this moron?

I thought we hated those cultures and wanted to eradicate them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am Easy. Gamergaters. The anti-SJW crowd. Men's right advocates. Howard Stern fans. Those assholes who defend Weinstein as being targeted by a witch hunt. Your old crazy uncle. You know who they are. Case closed.
I highly doubt that many of the above named truly believe in and advocate sexual assault, that you should be able to go up to any woman and grab her genitals if you so choose.
There are some (e.g. Men's Rights fantasists) who believe that women secretly like/want/deserve treatment that you and I would call harassment, or that men should be able to go a lot farther before anyone complains.

As plainly obnoxious as that is, it's on a spectrum with people who think Trump/Moore/O'Reilly/etc are being unfairly criticized or automatically assume that all the women are lying.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm
There are some (e.g. Men's Rights fantasists) who believe that women secretly like/want/deserve treatment that you and I would call harassment, or that men should be able to go a lot farther before anyone complains.

As plainly obnoxious as that is, it's on a spectrum with people who think Trump/Moore/O'Reilly/etc are being unfairly criticized or automatically assume that all the women are lying.
Griff, have you visited the Red Pill subreddit out of curiosity? Have you personally surfed the anti-SJW places online? Besides making you fear for the future of the human race, such a visit should make it plain that the demographic being postulated most certainly exists.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reddit just banned incels
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I really doubt this poll. Could just be an outlier poll, but mostly this seems to suggest that the NRSC is serious about trying to pressure Moore to quit the race.

If other polls start heading this sharply, though...
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm :lol:ing.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

https://twitter.com/elizlanders/status/ ... 0819648512

WTF.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

American elephants deserve trophies, too.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Captain Caveman wrote: https://twitter.com/elizlanders/status/ ... 0819648512

WTF.
Eh, I neither give the current administration nor Zimbabwe the benefit of a doubt. But many American locales have had great success with game preserves and endangered populations. Conceptually its jacked up to our modern sensibilities, but from a purely conservationist standpoint it's not terrible on its face. Unless you're vegan food requires animal husbandry and slaughter. Which requires investment. Hunters and conservationists in controlled circumstances have been known to provide solid profit stream.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slate
The Fox News legal analyst who told Sean Hannity that women regularly lie about sexual harassment and that actual victims of predators are rare has stepped down from management at her law firm following the controversy over her comments.

Mercedes Colwin, an employment lawyer who specializes in defending corporate executives accused of harassment, will no longer serve as the managing partner of Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani’s New York office, according to a report on the American Lawyer. Colwin appeared on Hannity’s show last week to discuss the Washington Post’s report that Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore had dated teenagers and allegedly molested a 14-year-old girl. Colwin, who has been a Fox analyst since 2005, told the host that women “definitely” make up sexual harassment claims in order to milk money from corporations. When Hannity tried to hedge by saying that “there are women who are victims of predators,” Colwin responded that they were “very few and far between.”
[Gordon & Rees] in no way endorses or agrees with any statements which could even remotely be interpreted as minimizing or trivializing the seriousness and gravity of sexual harassment or similarly predatory behaviors, and we renounce them in the strongest possible terms –in fact, contrary to what may have been inferred from what was said during the telecast, the sad reality is that the number of women who likely have not been exposed to such repugnant conduct over the course of their personal or professional lives is, unfortunately, few and far between.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Oy vey
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
malchior

Post by malchior »

Captain Caveman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:47 pm https://twitter.com/elizlanders/status/ ... 0819648512

WTF.
Ridiculous. These evil dicks shit on our values every day.
milo

Post by milo »

Enlarge Image
--milo
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The latest reports is that McConell is looking into the possibility of getting Luther Strange to resign before the election. That would force a new special election in Alabama.

The man really is evil; he has no qualms about circumventing democracy in order to keep in power.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 am The latest reports is that McConell is looking into the possibility of getting Luther Strange to resign before the election. That would force a new special election in Alabama.
That doesn't even make sense, since there's already a special election going on. Wouldn't that just give the Governor the opportunity to put someone in temporarily?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 am
I'm saying you have as of yet failed to demonstrate that there is such a thing as a "pussygrabber constituency" - a significant group of people who support Trump because of sexual assault. Do that, then we can talk about everyone else :)
OK.
Trump’s return to misogyny — unveiled on Tuesday night, at the very moment when he seemed to have secured the Republican presidential nomination — has been generally viewed as bumbling, a reprise of the days when he used “slob,” “dog” and “piece of ass” to describe women.

But Trump’s gender-based attack on Clinton, which he defended in subsequent days, was likely no accident. Research shows the attack is rational, and his repetition of it suggests it’s calculated.

Trump orchestrated his primary campaign success on the basis of economic and racial resentment. Now he’s building a general-election strategy — against the first woman to lead a major party’s presidential ticket — on gender resentment.
or...
“The hostile sexism is highly correlated, but the benevolent sexism really is not,” Wayne said. “I found this result particularly interesting in the aftermath of some of the fallout from Trump’s tape. … There were a lot of Republicans saying they were against Trump’s statements because of their daughters and wives.”

Trump, in other words, isn’t just drawing from a base of people who have traditional views about women’s roles. He’s getting support from people who are hostile toward women’s economic and legal equality and who think feminism is making America worse.
I understand that you were talking about people who literally advocate sexual assault, but it seems to me that, as they put it, "hostile sexism" was a positive for a portion of Trump voters.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why not kill two birds with one stone?
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell floated Attorney General Jeff Sessions as a replacement for Roy Moore, the Alabama Senate candidate accused of sexual misconduct and assault of teenagers when he was in his 30s.

McConnell brought up the idea Tuesday night at the Wall Street Journal CEO Council's annual meeting in Washington, proposing Sessions as a write-in candidate to take back his old Senate seat. He cited Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, as a successful example of a write-in campaign.

"It appears as if the only option would be a write-in and that's very seldom successful, although we've had an example of it in 2010. Lisa Murkowski from Alaska lost the primary, ran a write-in campaign in the general election and actually won," he said.

Like Murkowski, McConnell said Sessions is popular enough in his home state to defeat Moore.

"So, why did she win? She was totally well-known and extremely popular. And the name being the most often discussed may not be available, but the Alabamian who would fit that standard would be the attorney general, who is totally well-known and extremely popular in Alabama," he said.

Moore has made no public indication he plans to leave the race, so a push for a write-in candidacy threatens to split the GOP ticket. Sessions also hasn't displayed any public interest in returning to the Senate.

But the longshot path to a Sessions victory would serve two purposes for the GOP: the party would retain the seat, and Sessions would leave the Department of Justice after months of public criticism by President Donald Trump over his decision to recuse himself from the Russia investigation and not prosecute Trump's political enemies.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

And now Al Franken.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's hard to imagine a Senator posing for a picture mid-grope. I'm skeptical that this is anything but a poor attempt at humour.

I'm sure I'll be very popular for this, but I'll just point out she's wearing body armour. That would be like groping someone through an umpire's chest protector.

Waiting to hear from witnesses, of which there should be several.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am It's hard to imagine a Senator posing for a picture mid-grope. I'm skeptical that this is anything but a poor attempt at humour.
This was before he entered politics.