2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Unagi »

raydude wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:16 pm
Were Jon Francis and Ted Cruz there? If so one could hope that they get CoVID as collateral damage.
Yes, and Ted was busted on a commercial flight getting there, not wearing a mask as well.

Last edited by Unagi on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

raydude wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:16 pm Were Jon Francis and Ted Cruz there? If so one could hope that they get CoVID as collateral damage.
Yes

BAMMED!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:31 pm BAMMED!
:auto-layrubber:
:dance:
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm
stessier wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:48 am (June 19)
South Carolina hospitals are at 70.2% with 622 Covid patients (out of 10,000 beds in the system). When I started paying attention on June 1, we were at 72.9% with 420 Covid patients. So it looks like we are kicking out the normal sick people to make room for the new sick people.
(June 27)
Today, 1599 cases and 19.6% positive rate from 8,170 tests. Hospitals state wide are at 73% capacity with 980 Covid patients. The county next door is at 97.4% capacity in their hospital but they say that is misleading because they are in phase one staffing. If they need it, they go to phase two and call in more people to staff more beds. This, to me, seems to be missing the larger point.
(July 7)
SC reported our lowest number of cases in quite a while - only 934 new cases!! Of course, we have a 20.7% positive rate and only tested 4,521 people - we were testing ~9k/day last week with the same positive rate. Our hospital capacity is holding in there at 72.93% but we're up to 1,324 beds for Covid patients.
(July 14)
One week later - 2,205 cases, 21.5% (10,262 tested), hospital occupancy at 73.93% with 1,550 beds and 203 ventilators for Covid patients.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oh hell no! (apologies if this has been posted already)

From the NYT

The administration orders hospitals to bypass the C.D.C. with key virus data, alarming health experts.
The Trump administration has ordered hospitals to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and, beginning on Wednesday, send all coronavirus patient information to a central database in Washington — a move that has alarmed public health experts who fear the data will be distorted for political gain.

The new instructions are contained in a little-noticed document posted this week on the Department of Health and Human Services’ website, Sheryl Gay Stolberg reports. From now on, H.H.S., and not the C.D.C., will collect daily reports about the patients that each hospital is treating, how many beds and ventilators are available, and other information vital to tracking the pandemic.

Officials said the change should help ease data gathering and assist the White House coronavirus task force in allocating scarce supplies like personal protective gear and the drug remdesivir.

Hospital officials want to streamline reporting, saying it will relieve them from responding to requests from multiple federal agencies, though some say the C.D.C. — an agency that prizes its scientific independence — should be in charge of gathering the information.

“The C.D.C. is the right agency to be at the forefront of collecting the data,” said Dr. Bala Hota, the chief analytics officer at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

Public health experts have long expressed concern that the administration is politicizing science and undermining the disease control centers; four former C.D.C. directors, spanning both Republican and Democratic administrations, said as much in an opinion piece published Tuesday in The Washington Post. The data collection shift reinforced those fears.

“Centralizing control of all data under the umbrella of an inherently political apparatus is dangerous and breeds distrust,” said Nicole Lurie, who served as assistant secretary for preparedness and response under former President Barack Obama. “It appears to cut off the ability of agencies like C.D.C. to do its basic job.”

The shift grew out of a tense conference call several weeks ago between hospital executives and Dr. Deborah L. Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator.

After Dr. Birx complained that hospitals were not adequately reporting their data, she convened a working group of government and hospital officials who devised the new plan, according to Janis Orlowski, chief health care officer of the Association of American Medical Colleges, who participated.

But news of the change came as a shock inside the C.D.C., which has long been responsible for gathering public health data, according to two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it. A spokesman for the disease control centers referred questions to the Department of Health and Human Services, which has not responded to a request for comment.
Now of course it's better that instead of forwarding data to a myriad of agencies there's a centralized database that can be accessed to allocate resources. The CDC has long been the agency heading the collection of data for outbreaks and other health related issues and they even put out an exciting publication called the Morbidity and Mortality report which has all sorts of stats and figures on things that hurt or kill us. Fun stuff! So one would think that an agency that has the personnel experienced enough in gathering and organizing this kind of data should take the lead on this. And frankly I'm surprised that this wasn't the case already.

But...with this shitstorm of an administration and their propensity to, how shall I say it, distort, manipulate, whitewash, censor, mock, deny, bend, exaggerate, data I don't think this initiative has our best interests at heart. And they only have themselves to blame for the distrust they've generated.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am Universities are pushing back hard on Trump's plan to deport international students if campuses remain remote.
The Hill
The Trump administration on Tuesday rescinded a policy that would have stripped visas from international students whose courses move exclusively online amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The move comes after the policy announcement last week sparked a flurry of litigation, beginning with a suit brought by Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), followed by California's public colleges and later a coalition of 17 states, among other challenges.

Judge Allison Burroughs, a federal district judge in Boston who was expected to preside over oral arguments in the Harvard-MIT case, made the surprise announcement at the beginning of the court proceedings Tuesday.

“I have been informed by the parties that they have come to a resolution,” Burroughs said, adding, “They will return to the status quo.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pmBut...with this shitstorm of an administration and their propensity to, how shall I say it, distort, manipulate, whitewash, censor, mock, deny, bend, exaggerate, data I don't think this initiative has our best interests at heart. And they only have themselves to blame for the distrust they've generated.
It's amazing - every time I think I've seen it all, the Trump administration manages to figure out another way to get me to scream WTF at my monitor. This is absurd and I can only interpret as them trying to make sure the CDC isn't going to "leak" information that the hospitals will be sharing in the coming weeks over the number of deaths happening nationwide.

Regardless, there's no reason for this. None. The CDC exists to collect data from the states and share it.

HUGE red flag. HUGE.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:31 pm

HUGE red flag. HUGE.
And absolutely no countermeasure. We simply have to accept it.

That's why Trump has to go, regardless of anyone's opinion of any 'good' he may have done.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:

HUGE red flag. HUGE.
And absolutely no countermeasure. We simply have to accept it.

That's why Trump has to go, regardless of anyone's opinion of any 'good' he may have done.
And his GOP enablers in the House and Senate need to be shown the door. They cannot be trusted with the responsibility of good governance and we need competent people to undo the damage done.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pmBut...with this shitstorm of an administration and their propensity to, how shall I say it, distort, manipulate, whitewash, censor, mock, deny, bend, exaggerate, data I don't think this initiative has our best interests at heart. And they only have themselves to blame for the distrust they've generated.
It's amazing - every time I think I've seen it all, the Trump administration manages to figure out another way to get me to scream WTF at my monitor. This is absurd and I can only interpret as them trying to make sure the CDC isn't going to "leak" information that the hospitals will be sharing in the coming weeks over the number of deaths happening nationwide.

Regardless, there's no reason for this. None. The CDC exists to collect data from the states and share it.

HUGE red flag. HUGE.
Yeah this is obvious authoritarian police state type manipulation of information. We have regressed to developing world status.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

HUGE red flag. HUGE.
Just a few hours ago in the very thread, I can repeat
+1 Trump has not just squandered away all of the good will between the US and other nations. He's squandered my faith in the federal government to act in a way that is not only contrary to my best interests nor even the masses of citizens. His presidency is the self fulfilling prophesy of "I love my country but I fear my government" voting block. And as it turns out, when I move toward fearing my government, I have a hard time loving my country.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm
Just a few hours ago in the very thread, I can repeat
+1 Trump has not just squandered away all of the good will between the US and other nations. He's squandered my faith in the federal government to act in a way that is not only contrary to my best interests nor even the masses of citizens. His presidency is the self fulfilling prophesy of "I love my country but I fear my government" voting block. And as it turns out, when I move toward fearing my government, I have a hard time loving my country.
sigh, I agree.
And, on a positive reflection, I suppose... I will say that is because we feel this government is indeed, at least in some way representative, of our country.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Were Jon Francis and Ted Cruz there? If so one could hope that they get CoVID as collateral damage.
Yes, and Ted was busted on a commercial flight getting there, not wearing a mask as well.

Does no one else see the Jim Henson puppet?
Spoiler:
Fuzzleshump Hizzlebad, the grouchy commuter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:05 pm Image
Wanna trade? :think:
Ginsburg hospitalized for 'possible infection'
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/1 ... zed-361633
Enlarge Image
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ted Cruz the Zodiac Killer
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daveman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am
This aged well... and Jeebus, scrolling through this man's twitter feed makes me want to hurl.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covid data is being rerouted to WH away from CDC.

That doesn’t sound shady whatsoever.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:04 am Covid data is being rerouted to WH away from CDC.

Discussed a few posts up.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well it isn't like the CDC needs data when you have fine thinking like this going on.

malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:04 am Covid data is being rerouted to WH away from CDC.

Even if it was on the level redirecting data pipe lines is a totally free and easy process right?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't doubt northerners are, in part, to blame. Mobility of people is exactly how things spread. But how is that not a problem of opening up too much/too fast? If you were open to take northerner travel money (for vacation or work), you wouldn't be as susceptible. As a group of people who want to build a wall to keep people out, you'd think that would be something you would know intuitively.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am

Whoops, sorry. :oops:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am

Whoops, sorry. :oops:
LOL. I was going to say, "Hey was my post tldr?" But in all honesty there's so much incompetence bordering on the criminal that it's easy to repeat something and nothing wrong with bringing something back on the radar screen!

Now where is that unfriend Hepcat option... Image
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

IMLawnboy made the Post Reply button also function as an Unfriend Hepcat selection. :(
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:37 am IMLawnboy made the Post Reply button also function as an Unfriend Hepcat selection. :(
No, no, unfriending you has always been worth a few extra clicks. :P :twisted:

I'd make those clicks myself but you'd know it was just jealousy over the hair. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who can keep up with this epic incompetence and chaos?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 am Who can keep up with this epic incompetence and chaos?
Not a who but the Twitter stock price is definitely kept up by epic incompetence and chaos.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Speaking of Twitter - Banksy at it again. It's fantastic.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess someone got the memo and penned a hit piece for USA Today:
Anthony Fauci has been wrong about everything I have interacted with him on: Peter Navarro
When you ask me whether I listen to his advice, my answer is only with skepticism and caution: Opposing view

Dr. Anthony Fauci has a good bedside manner with the public, but he has been wrong about everything I have interacted with him on.

In late January, when I was making the case on behalf of the president to take down the flights from China, Fauci fought against the president’s courageous decision — which might well have saved hundreds of thousands of American lives.

When I warned in late January in a memo of a possibly deadly pandemic, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases was telling the news media not to worry.
For reference:
Peter Navarro is an American economist and author. He serves in the Trump administration as the Assistant to the President, Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, and the national Defense Production Act policy coordinator.
I can't really say I've thought much about economists over the last 25+ years, but the last ~5 months I've come to really loathe a few of them.

EDIT: I guess this is also a bit like Dr. Redfield's commentary as well - challenging what Dr. Fauchi has been suggesting regarding disease transmission.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Navarro is one of the worst. He is a know nothing. Weirder yet, Navarro used to be one of the most progressive economists in the nation when he was tooling around in California. Now he is all #MAGA.
As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape/discTweet will self-destruct in five/ten seconds.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In late January, when I was making the case on behalf of the president to take down the flights from China, Fauci fought against the president’s courageous decision — which might well have saved hundreds of thousands of American lives.
Back in January, wasn't the president ignoring briefings and denying that the virus existed? Sounds very revisionist. Please put him on the list of those to remember once/if this is all over.

Also, "take down flights", as in what? Block them? Shoot them down?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, Ed Yong once again delivering the goods by voicing what many in my field have night terrors over - a double pandemic:
I first worried about the possibility of a double pandemic in March. Four months ago, it felt needlessly alarmist to fret about two rare events happening simultaneously. But since then, federal fecklessness and rushed reopenings have wasted the benefits of months of social distancing. About 60,000 new cases of COVID-19 are being confirmed every day, and death rates are rising. My worry from March feels less far-fetched. If America could underperform so badly against one rapidly spreading virus, how would it fare against two?

COVID-19 has made clear what happens when even powerful, wealthy countries are inadequately prepared for rare but ruinous events. Months into the pandemic, international alliances are strained, resources are diminished, and experts are demoralized. The longer this fiasco drags on, the more vulnerable America becomes to further disasters: inbound hurricanes, wildfires, and many other viruses that lie in wait.
The goods:
Other known and preventable diseases will also run amok if the current pandemic continues unabated. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in Michigan, the proportion of five-month-olds who are up-to-date on their vaccines fell from 68 percent in May 2019 to 50 percent in May 2020. Childhood vaccinations have also declined in many other states as doctor offices closed or parents canceled appointments.

Global programs that fight HIV, malaria, and tuberculosis are being disrupted as workers are reassigned to fighting COVID-19, supplies run out, and labs are inundated. Vaccination programs were suspended in many countries, leading to rises in measles, cholera, and diphtheria. If such initiatives are paused too long, the world could lose decades of ground against polio—a disease that was almost eradicated. “We’ve been very close to the end of polio for a very long time, and we’re not far away from the scenario where it comes roaring back,” Pace said.

“When two or more diseases cluster, interact, and are driven by some bigger phenomenon,” they are known as “syndemics,” says Emily Mendenhall, a medical anthropologist at Georgetown University. COVID-19, for example, disproportionately affects people with heart disease and diabetes, but all of these illnesses are affected by inequity. America’s legacy of systemic racism means that Black people are more likely to live in poor neighborhoods, to have less access to nutritious food and good health-care, and to work in low-wage “essential” jobs that must continue even in a pandemic. These factors make Black people more prone to both chronic illness and COVID-19, which then exacerbate each other.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And now their night terrors are our night terrors! I think I'll keep this knowledge safely tucked away from anyone I don't want to torture.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in Michigan, the proportion of five-month-olds who are up-to-date on their vaccines fell from 68 percent in May 2019 to 50 percent in May 2020. Childhood vaccinations have also declined in many other states as doctor offices closed or parents canceled appointments
My kids are going in for vaccines today. Since they kept their old peds from my previous job, I couldn't pull many strings and this was the only appointment available until mid-September. The backlog is real.

That alone would be cause for concern in a normal year. Compound it with everything else? I'm not seeing "fuck 2020". I'm seeing "fuck the 2020s."

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Our school district released their plans for in-person and e-learning options. I think they've done a pretty good job on the reopening plan, but the focus has been all about reopening safely, and little to nothing on what to do once we're open when the inevitable outbreak happens. Testing/tracing, etc. Which is super-important, obviously.

I'm also concerned with the fact that if one chooses e-learning, you're locked into that all year (though the realist in me thinks that'll work out just fine, the optimist worries that all is well for the spring semester but my kids are stuck at home).

These images will self-destruct in a few days:

This is a pretty agonizing decision.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 amI'm also concerned with the fact that if one chooses e-learning, you're locked into that all year (though the realist in me thinks that'll work out just fine, the optimist worries that all is well for the spring semester but my kids are stuck at home).
Like your school, my kids' district is offering a choice between 2-days/week in person or fully online, and all signs point to it being a full year commitment one way or the other. I really wish we had the ability to switch midyear at least.

Actually I really wish we could re-choose every month or two. Ideally I'd want my kids to stay remote the first month or two while this horrible experiment plays out across the country, then maybe try putting them in person, but then have the option to get 'em out again if in-person proves to be horrible.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 amActually I really wish we could re-choose every month or two. Ideally I'd want my kids to stay remote the first month or two while this horrible experiment plays out across the country, then maybe try putting them in person, but then have the option to get 'em out again if in-person proves to be horrible.
That's my position, as well.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 amActually I really wish we could re-choose every month or two. Ideally I'd want my kids to stay remote the first month or two while this horrible experiment plays out across the country, then maybe try putting them in person, but then have the option to get 'em out again if in-person proves to be horrible.
That's my position, as well.
We chose the hybrid model because we also weren't sure if you're locked into your choice for the year.

However, if at any point we think the school is failing in their efforts we have no hesitation about asking to switch to at home only. The politeness of our request will depend on how reasonable they will be. In the end, I think they'll fold but I understand how they don't want masses of students going back and forth.

We asked in our questionnaire about under what circumstances will students be switched to online only. The final draft of the policy for the upcoming year will make for interesting reading...
Black lives matter!

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am... little to nothing on what to do once we're open when the inevitable outbreak happens. Testing/tracing, etc. Which is super-important, obviously.
I believe that once schools open and kids mingle, testing and tracing will come down to opening a map of the city and just drawing a circle around it. I give it extremely poor odds on them being able to keep track of which kid came near which other when someone does get sick... so it just ends up being everyone.

I am so very disappointed in this country. We couldn't, collectively, sit on our hands long enough to get this under control early on. We just had to run around the yard with gas canisters and lighters.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weaponized stupidity.