2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Chaos in the Old World

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: Chaos in the Old World

Post by bb2112 »

I PM'd rhetts2.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Play card Verminous Horde in Troll country for 1 power 5/6 remaining
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jow

Post by Jow »

Round 4, Summoning Phase

Chaos effects:

Cards that have a magic symbol on them are noted by (M) in the description (and by a little symbol next to the card name in the board image).

Troll Country: Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase. Verminous Horde: If Horned Rat has more figures than a single other player, the cost for opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by one.]

Tilea: Bloodbath: Khorne places one corruption token for each enemy figure he kills in this region.

Old World Effects:

Teclis Aids the Empire: Remove all Event tokens from the board and remove any Old World cards bearing the Twin-tailed Comet icon from the Old World track. Then, place one Event token in any region. - In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, remove all cultists from every region containing at least one Event token. Then move all Event tokens in play to the region with the most corruption tokens.

Upgrades:

Khorne:

Bloodletter: Khorne gains two victory points each time he kills a figure in a region containing a Bloodletter.

Tzeentch:

Horrors: When Tzeentch plays a Chaos card with a magic symbol, he may immediately summon a Horror (warrior) to that region for 0 power.

Slaanesh:

Fall from Grace: If Slaanesh places three or more corruption tokens in a region with a Noble or Hero token, he collects two dial advancement counters instead of only one.

Rise to Glory: When calculating domination in a region, each noble token adds one to Slaanesh's domination value in that region.

Daemonettes (warriors): When Slaanesh summons a Daemonette into a region, he may take control of an opponent's Cultist in that region until the end of the turn. (Place the Cultist next to the Daemonette as a reminder.)

Horned Rat:

The Council of Thirteen: Once per round during the summoning phase, Horned Rat may play a Chaos card into a region whose card spaces are full. (Place this third Chaos card near the other card spaces in the region.)

Khorne is active.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I see I'm up. I'm on the road today, but I'll make my move late tonight or early tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

That Festival of Sinew is going to hurt, but I've got to try. :(

Khorne summons Bloodthirster into Tilea.

Power remaining: 4 of 7
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Summon Warrior from Kislev to Bretonnia

4 Power remaining
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Play Warpstorm (0) in Norsca - pulling in a Warrior from supply for free

power 4/6
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Slaneesh: +1 power for Khorne summoning in Tilea, -1 Power to pull cultist from supply and summon it to the Border Princes

Power: 6 of 6
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Jow

Post by Jow »

Updated to current. I have company in from out-of-town this weekend so most likely won't get a chance to update again until Monday.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ill keep it simple and summon a cultist into troll country. use 1 power, 4/6 remaining
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jow

Post by Jow »

Round 4, Summoning Phase

Chaos effects:

Cards that have a magic symbol on them are noted by (M) in the description (and by a little symbol next to the card name in the board image).

Norsca: Warpstorm: If Tzeentch kilsl one or more enemy figures in this region during the battle phase, he places a Warpstone token in this region.

Troll Country: Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase. Verminous Horde: If Horned Rat has more figures than a single other player, the cost for opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by one.]

Tilea: Bloodbath: Khorne places one corruption token for each enemy figure he kills in this region.

Old World Effects:

Teclis Aids the Empire: Remove all Event tokens from the board and remove any Old World cards bearing the Twin-tailed Comet icon from the Old World track. Then, place one Event token in any region. - In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, remove all cultists from every region containing at least one Event token. Then move all Event tokens in play to the region with the most corruption tokens.

Upgrades:

Khorne:

Bloodletter: Khorne gains two victory points each time he kills a figure in a region containing a Bloodletter.

Tzeentch:

Horrors: When Tzeentch plays a Chaos card with a magic symbol, he may immediately summon a Horror (warrior) to that region for 0 power.

Slaanesh:

Fall from Grace: If Slaanesh places three or more corruption tokens in a region with a Noble or Hero token, he collects two dial advancement counters instead of only one.

Rise to Glory: When calculating domination in a region, each noble token adds one to Slaanesh's domination value in that region.

Daemonettes (warriors): When Slaanesh summons a Daemonette into a region, he may take control of an opponent's Cultist in that region until the end of the turn. (Place the Cultist next to the Daemonette as a reminder.)

Horned Rat:

The Council of Thirteen: Once per round during the summoning phase, Horned Rat may play a Chaos card into a region whose card spaces are full. (Place this third Chaos card near the other card spaces in the region.)

Khorne is active.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Khorne summons Bloodletter into Tilea.

Power remaining: 2 of 7
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Third verse, same as the first.

Summon Warrior from Kislev to Bretonnia

3 Power remaining
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Play Havoc (2) in Norsca summoning the last Horror from supply along with it for free

power = 2/6
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Slaneesh: +1 power for Khorne summoning in Tilea, -1 Power to pull cultist from The Empire and summon it to The Badlands

Power: 6 of 6
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got to play this evening at the local gaming get together, played Slaneesh. If you looked at the point totals, I came in 3rd. In actuality, I came in 4th.

The game ended in ruination with Tzeentch taking a 1-point victory over the Rat, both of the experienced players. If it hadn't ended that way, the race was on between Khorne and the Rat for Dial Advancement victories.

Khorne was played by a player that had played it before and was trying to learn from his previous mistakes.

Nurgle got bogged down in Tilea, and spent too many resources trying to count on getting both cards into the area to turn it populous, and was basically stymied at every turn by Khorne or Tzeentch.

I had nobles in Bretonnia and The Empire to play for, and I made the error to focus on Brettonia exclusively rather than try and hold both. I was left alone for the early turns, so I could have made a better play there. I probably picked the wrong upgrade, taking Rise to Glory as my first and only taking the Daemonettes upgrade as my second.

The end turn was close, as everyone wound up in The Empire for a massive battle, and I became the late target to keep me from getting first place in the corruption total.

It's an interesting game, but I don't know that I'm quite sold on it as a whole. I definitely need to play it a couple more times to determine if it's something I like enough to keep coming back to
Jow

Post by Jow »

Chaos was my favorite game to play for quite some time, but it has its issues. The stark asymmetry and learning curve are what got me in the beginning, but you need persistence and patience to get through the several plays it takes to start getting the game. This is just my personal take, but after about 30 games I feel like the game revolves more around what everyone else does and doesn't do, rather than how well you play as an individual; that can be offputting (and still is to me at times). This can be compounded when you start mixing experienced players with new ones. I can't tell you how many games I've gotten completely buried in solely because I'm the most experienced guy among folks I play with. :)

That's why I've tried to provide so much information: the game is less intuitive out of the gate than most and I wanna hopefully ease people through some of the newbie frustration.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I actually prefer games with a good bit of conflict and other players impacting your abilities to do what you want. Obviously, this brings in a good bit of metagame. The two skilled players were the ones chipping back and forth at each other, Knorne did what Khorne is supposed to do and just squashing people in as many regions as he could.

Not knowing what the dials say and how to manage those is a big hindrance. I went in cold on Slaneesh, not realizing that if I could pave my own way after the third tick let me drop two more nobles to target. And I can now see issues with how I'm not playing effectively here.

I can see it being a good game for a core group of skilled gamers to play, but I can easily see it turning off newbies when the skilled players don't grant enough help and learning. Our Nurgle player was easily frustrated, and got bogged down early, and couldn't really think his way out of it.

I'm certainly interested in getting some more experience to decide if I like the game enough to move it up the list. Two plays just isn't enough experience to get a good feel for the mechanics and strategy.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

lets drop another cultist in Troll country

Does this phase end when every one has expended their power? Because if so, someone need to deflower, errrr I mean depower Slaneesh or this turn will go on forever!
Jow

Post by Jow »

Round 4, Summoning Phase

Chaos effects:

Norsca: Warpstorm: (M) If Tzeentch kills one or more enemy figures in this region during the battle phase, he places a Warpstone token in this region. Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase.

Troll Country: Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase. Verminous Horde: If Horned Rat has more figures than a single other player, the cost for opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by one.

Old World Effects:

Upgrades:

Khorne:

Tzeentch:

Slaanesh:

Horned Rat:

Khorne is active.
Last edited by Jow on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Khorne summons Bloodletter into The Border Princes.

Power Remaining: 0/7
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Summon Cultist from The Empire to Bretonnia

2 Power remaining
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Play Bolt of Change 0 in Brettonia.

power = 2/6

I'm thinking that has to help your cause there and buy me a little time at the same time. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, that helps me, but it's not like trying to move into Estalia would do anything more than hand Khorne squishy targets.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Slaneesh: -1 Power to pull cultist from The Empire and summon it to The Badlands

Power: 5 of 6
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Play skitterleap in Troll country at 0 cost
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I suppose that will make the play for Norsca that much easier next turn.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I dropped rshetts2 a PM based on that last move because I assumed he was indeed making a play for Norsca, because I'd like to try to lessen frustration over what's a pretty complex ruleset. I'd like to give him the chance to reconsider the last move based on something I think he missed.

The point of the PM was this: when domination and corruption are calculated, they are done in region order. With Skitterleap played as such, here's how the domination phase would play out, assuming no more units are played in Norsca for the remainder of the turn and Horned Rat maintains dominance in Troll Country:

--Tzeentch dominates Norsca, scoring 1 VP.
--Horned Rat dominates Troll Country, scoring 1 VP. He then moves as many units as he likes to Norsca... only since domination has already been scored there, he doesn't get domination and doesn't earn a DAC. It'd amount to a completely wasted turn when there's a much better way to approach the situation.
--The other option is to move all those units into the smoking wasteland that is Kislev and... yeah, no.

In other words, assuming Norsca was indeed his plan, everyone cool with letting him rethink his play?
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

I'm cool with it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, I'm fine with it. I assumed it was a long-term play, as it's a lot cheaper to get all those figs into the next region where his counter is located.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Doesn't change my thinking because he can not kill units in either location so I'll get my ticks.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I'm fine with it, too. I appreciate you looking out for us Jow, as I think this is a learning experience for all of us.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:pop:
Jow

Post by Jow »

Still haven't heard back from the PM. Giving this until tomorrow and then proceeding.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Round 4, Summoning Phase

Chaos effects:

Norsca: Warpstorm: (M) If Tzeentch kills one or more enemy figures in this region during the battle phase, he places a Warpstone token in this region. Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase.

Troll Country: Havoc: (M) Instead of rolling battle dice in this region, all Warriors and Greater Daemons each place one corruption token during the battle phase. Verminous Horde: If Horned Rat has more figures than a single other player, the cost for opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by one.

Old World Effects:

Upgrades:

Khorne:

Tzeentch:

Slaanesh:

Horned Rat:

Khorne is active.
Last edited by Jow on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm not seeing the Bolt of Change or impacts in Brettonia, there, boss.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Jow wrote:Khorne is active.

Khorne is OoP. On to Nurgle.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Shit, totally missed that stuff for some reason. On a train to Chicago at the moment. Will fix when I can get to a PC (likely tomorrow).
Jow

Post by Jow »

Awright, everything's fixed. Sorry bout the hiccup - was trying to rush around and get the update done before running out of town and literally completely skipped including all your actions last turn. :oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Summon Warrior to Estalia

1 Power remaining