THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Formula D Race 1 - Singapore Complete

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

LordMortis

Re: [In Dev] Formula D

Post by LordMortis »

bb2112 wrote:Oh, and whoever is "lucky" enought to be on my team, we choose red. I figure it is a nice symbolic color of the fireball my car will look like in about turn 3.
That's not good, I was planning on choosing red and I don't want my dice anywhere near yours. My dice are bad enough as it is. They don't need your help.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Unless there is a reason not to, I will take a standard build.
Yeah, same here. Since this is my first time playing, I'm assuming that it makes sense to use the standard build for now.
When I watched Henzau play for a bit last spring, it looked like some of the standard build was strategically off form the likely wear and tear of the game. But it might have appeared that way to me because I didn't actually understand the game (or pit stops I'd guess most).

Assuming we want to start soon, I'll see if I can get a working understanding of the game this weekend.

Playing as a miniature league sounds like a lot of fun.
I had a REALLY bad string of luck with collisions. I've never seen that happen in a game before. But yeah, I was out from collision damage before I had completed my first lap.

Let me see if I can get one other person to join up to fill out the teams.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newcastle was a maybe earlier. Go apply peer pressure. :twisted:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:Newcastle was a maybe earlier. Go apply peer pressure. :twisted:
I'm checking with Tommy20. He knows the game pretty well, so he'd be a good fit if he wants to commit.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

But...

I'm a total commitment phobe!

Oh, all right. I choose white:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Stick me on the team with Tommy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess that means bb2112 and I playing for comic relief. nyuck nyuck nyuck

I got the rules. Maybe I'll have time to read them over lunch.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Can I get the standard build, only with a rocket launcher?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

White 1: Tommy20
White 2: hentzau
Yellow 1:
Yellow 2:
Blue 1:El Guapo
Blue 2: NickAragua 
Red 1: bb2112
Red 2: LordMortis
Green 1:
Green 2:

That would leave coop and I on team green or yellow.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: That would leave coop and I on team green or yellow.
I think Yellow would make it easier for the teams way behind to see us. Good for morale don't you know.

Also the purple highlights go just divinely with my purple unicorn helmet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

coopasonic wrote:
I think Yellow would make it easier for the teams way behind to see us. Good for morale don't you know.

Hey, I think you and Coop should split up and be handicapped... er... I mean... teamed up with, (yeah, that's it) with the new guys. One of you should be saddled... er... I mean... teamed up with Lord Mortis, and the other with me.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

bb2112 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Hey, I think you and Coop should split up and be handicapped... er... I mean... teamed up with, (yeah, that's it) with the new guys. One of you should be saddled... er... I mean... teamed up with Lord Mortis, and the other with me.
I'm fine with mixing up the teams. Just be aware, I mostly talk a good game. I've never played the advanced rules and I have only played with the basic rules with people over 6 years old twice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

I'm fine with mixing up the teams. Just be aware, I mostly talk a good game. I've never played the advanced rules and I have only played with the basic rules with people over 6 years old twice.
Same with Tommy and me. I have about 3-4 games with the advanced rules, and he has maybe the same number.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have no issues with taking Red 1 from bb2112 and letting him take Yellow 2 with coop.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Since I have no idea what I'm doing, I'll take a standard build.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Read the rules. Pit Stops are a little bit hazy for me. How you pull out and wait and such. Car design looks like an option, so unless you let me change my design, I'll assume every one gets the same car. I'll assume that we get the 4 WP repairs listed under team racing.

I think aside from how a pit stop works (specifically how blocking and waiting occurs), I'm ready to go.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Once you're on pit row, it's single file. You still roll the die, but you can only proceed up to the number of spaces open in front of you. Even if you get a 12 for movement, if it takes you 5 spaces to get to pit row, and there's someone on space 4 of pit row, you would only move 8 spaces, but you wouldn't suffer any drawbacks like having to brake or risking damage.

I had missed the Team rule. For everyone else, if you pit, there are 4 WP points that you can allocate between the cars. Body damage? They can take a hammer out and bang it out and get you back a WP or two. Shocks damage? They can turn a widget or something and tighten them back up for the second lap.

I would want to impose a house rule that you can't restore more than 1 WP during a pit and still get a quick start out. If you need to repair two or more WP, your team has to take a bit more time and you won't exit until the next turn.

The second one is just about team scoring. 10 points for 1st, 8 for 2nd, one less for every position down to 8th.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Isgrimnur wrote:I have no issues with taking Red 1 from bb2112 and letting him take Yellow 2 with coop.
That's fine. It is not as symbolic being yellow as it is being red, but I can go with the flow, so to speak. We can be team Urine Trouble.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If I can customize my car then lets talk about overshooting turns:

Tires
Brakes
Gearbox
Body
Engine
Shocks

8/4/2/2/2/2
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stay away from debris, don't tailgate, and stay out of 5th and 6th gear. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Stay away from debris, don't tailgate, and stay out of 5th and 6th gear. :D
I can take a point of damage every which way once before having to worry about trouble this way. :D
Isgrimnur

Re: [Starting] Formula D

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cars are prepped for graphical manipulation. I need builds for coop and Team White. I will be taking the standard build.

Dice spreadsheet is build for the current drivers. When a new turn starts, I will calculate the total gamut of gear rolls for 1st-6th gear for each driver, as well as 5 results for possible black dice rolls (collision, max gear, debris, etc.) The values will be moved to a static page for easy reference and posting in response to player posts.

My dice rolls will reside on a different page and be calculated on the fly when required so that there is no moderator advantage.

Start order has been determined by d20 rolls:
  1. bb2112 (1)
  2. coopasonic (2)
  3. Tommy20 (3)
  4. Isgrimnur (6)
  5. hentzau (12)
  6. LordMortis (16)
  7. El Guapo (18)
  8. NickAragua (19)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'll be taking a standard build.

(And the White and Yellow fonts are close to unreadable for me on the subSilver theme...just an FYI. Not sure you have a better option.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The colored text will not be standard, as I figured it would be an issue.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:The colored text will not be standard, as I figured it would be an issue.
Groovy. I'm good to go then.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For Turn 1, no one stalls out or successfully anticipates the light. A roll of 1 would mean a stall, a 20 would be the perfect start, getting 4 spaces on the opening move.

Instead, everyone gets a normal start in 1st gear.

bb2112 - 1 space
coopasonic - 2 spaces
Tommy20 - 1 space
Isgrimnur - 2 spaces
hentzau - 1 space
LordMortis - 1 space
El Guapo - 2 spaces
NickAragua 1 space

For this move, I'm not concerned about order, as there's no possibility for collision. Feel free to post your actions at your leisure for this turn.

From the pole position on the outside lane, there are three empty spaces before entering Unnamed Turn 1. The inside lane has four spaces. The middle lane has three empty spaces between the Start line and the turn entrance.

Unnamed Turn 1 has a short length of 5, holding the inside lane for the entirety. The longest path is 11, which requires starting outside, diving to the inside before sliding back out. The strict outer lane path is 10 spaces.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Click to enlarge, etc.

Car 1 on a team is the one with only team colors. Car 2 is the one with the black accents. Main post has been updated with the map, participants, and car assignments.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis - 1 space
Red two standing by. Move forward one space and shift in to 2nd gear. I'm off to the races.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Yellow 1 - throw it into second, move to the middle lane and slam on the gas as far forward as I can go.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Standard build.

2 spaces straight forward.

Note: you technically make your gear selection on the start of your next turn, as you may need to take the locations of other cars into account. I guess in this case it's easier to let izzy know now so he can start rolling for turn 2. In which case, I will be going to second next turn. /shocking
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Move forward one space, shift into 2nd at the start of the next turn.
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

Standard build BTW...

Move forward one space, shift into 2nd.
Isgrimnur

Re: [Turn 1] Formula D

Post by Isgrimnur »

Team blue. Late to the gate, late off the line. :D
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Because I have a lot of options here:

Forward one space, up to 2nd gear.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll move to the middle lane and go forward as far as I can go. Shift into second gear.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Re: [Turn 2] Formula D

Post by Isgrimnur »

Turn order:

We will now start enforcing move order, as the rolls are going to make maneuvering important. As coop stated, you pick gears immediately before rolling. This will be important later, as it's possible that traffic will make certain gear choices untenable.

There is no reason for anyone not to go to second gear at the moment, so I'll post the full roll grid for the turn.
  1. coopasonic - 2 spaces
  2. bb2112 - 2 spaces
  3. Isgrimnur - 4 spaces
  4. Tommy20 - 2 spaces
  5. hentzau - 3 spaces
  6. LordMortis - 2 spaces
  7. El Guapo - 4 spaces
  8. NickAragua - 4 spaces
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yellow 1 will slide all the way to the outside and keep it in second for the next round.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey Issie...wondering if it would be possible if at the start of each turn you could just have a boilerplate that you include with the graphic that lists the gears and the Min/Max number for each gear? I know that when I played I was constantly referring to this. Also, during the turn order sequence listing the gear the car was starting in would be a nicety too (but not as necessary.)

(And did we need to have a collision check for Team Yellow after the first turn?)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Gear: Sides: Range: Distribution

First: 4 sided, 1-2, Even
Second: 6 sided, 2-4, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4
Third: 8 sided, 4-8, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8
Fourth: 12 sided, 7-12, Even (two of each number)
Fifth: 20 sided, 11-20, Even (two of each number)
Sixth: 30 sided, 21-30, Even (three of each number)

Only second and third have uneven distribution and it skews high.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote:(And did we need to have a collision check for Team Yellow after the first turn?)
Good call and I need to talk to my teammate about who he should be blocking. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter