2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

I won't buy games full-price anymore for a good reason.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

for me it's not so much a question of is it too much, but rather will I have/make the time to play it to get my money's worth out of it?

At $50 the answer is usually no (though the GGFE has been known to get me - what are we calling that now, anyhoo?). Generally, I'll wait and hem and haw until the the $20 price point is reached. I would always scour the Weekly Value, and that enticed me a number of times, but now my backlog is so large that it's rare that I get sucked in.

One thing - if you can wait a week, the $10 sale usually pops up at BB, CC, Target or CompUSA the first Sunday after launch (Fry's is too much of a road trip to check)..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have to wonder, if games weren't as consistantly buggy as they have become, if people would make more $50 purchases or if I am in the serious minority. Of course, it seem like the machines I have been using are starting to become pretty buggy, which is really turning me off to sitting in front of the computer anyway...
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I just violated my rule and Pre-Ordered Brothers In Arms :)
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats

Post by Default »

My kid just spent $50 on Half Life 2 and I still can't get the mofo to run in offline mode. On the other hand I bought him the Curse of Monkey Island and he's laughing his brains out playing it.
We can wait for the game to have the bugs worked out.
Right now Steam has created enough agravation that we're both convinced he should have bought Doom 3 instead.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I like to pay $30 or less. I will pick up a few games near release and pay $50. I did that this year with Doom 3, Sims 2 and EQ2. I've been happy with those purchases.

I'm gonna pick up Pirates when I see it for my magic $30 price point.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

LordMortis wrote:I have to wonder, if games weren't as consistantly buggy as they have become, if people would make more $50 purchases or if I am in the serious minority. Of course, it seem like the machines I have been using are starting to become pretty buggy, which is really turning me off to sitting in front of the computer anyway...
I dunno LM, I buy 6 or 7 games a quarter and I haven't had any bugs in any of them. I've gone through 4 gaming machines since 1996 and I can't remember any game that I had to stop playing because of bugs and I can't remember any game crashing to desktop any more than I could attribute to Windows.

I guess I've been lucky. Hmmm - one thing, I'm never cutting edge with technology (my current machine is 3 years old) so maybe that's some of it.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Default wrote:My kid just spent $50 on Half Life 2 and I still can't get the mofo to run in offline mode. On the other hand I bought him the Curse of Monkey Island and he's laughing his brains out playing it.
We can wait for the game to have the bugs worked out.
Right now Steam has created enough agravation that we're both convinced he should have bought Doom 3 instead.
God, I really hate to say this, as I'm a HUGE basher of Steam and other online registration mandates, and I will bash those schemes until my dying day. Seriously, the whole idea of it just sickens me and goes against every one of my "every game should be completely self-contained" philosophy, REQUIRING NO online use to function!

BUT, and again, this really bothers me to say this, but Half Life 2 is worth the hassle. But that's the only game. The ONLY game I will ever use online registration for it to function. THE ONLY GAME!

And I can only justify it because I think it's worth it to spend the $40 even if it means never being able to play it again in 10 years because I'll be installing it on a different computer and if there is no more Steam by then, I won't be able to register and get it function again without visiting haxxor sites. Like I said, I'll risk the $40 on this "rental game" because it's so good, but I will not be making a habit of it. I buy my games to keep. I buy my PCs to keep. In 20 years, I can still play any damn favorite I want. Except maybe HL2, but I'm already resigned to accepting that fact. I'll flush this $40 down the drain because it's worth it for the experience.

Quothe the Habibula, "Nevermore."
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd