2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Shutdown

Post by Unagi »

You don't care to defend you position on -this- shut down... the 'I don't care' directed to GG.
You do care about the people effected by -this- shut down... the 'I do care' directed to NA.

But GG's position is in line with NA's point and their connection is what you refuse to address.

Plus, you pretend like Trump campaigned to tax us for a wall. He didn't.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

First, I love it when people don't care so hard that they can't stop talking about how much they don't care.

Second, on actual topic,
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pmI just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.

But laying it all at Trumps, or any 1 persons, feet is just not something I'm willing to do. Like it or not, when this stuff happens I blame both sides for acting like petulant children.
The Trump Shutdown was different for one very significant reason. One man - Trump - refused to sign anything (which the Senate had previously accepted) unless it included his pointless and expensive vanity project. The other shutdowns? I honestly haven't researched them, but I somehow seriously doubt they were over something as petty, pointless, and backwards as a wall. I'm willing to bet a few internet dollars that they were over political agendas and real issues - not invented ones - where one person creates a mess and then demands we all pay to fix it.

Our government was shut down for a record-breaking period of time because one man was having a toddler-sized tantrum. Trump himself went out of his way to harm millions of people so he could get a shiny new toy.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pmGiving my opinion.
Why aren't you concerned with whether or not your opinion is correct or false?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion
Certainly doesn't speak to the question though. Why form an opinion, share it in a public forum and then refuse to engage in the validity of your opinion.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm First, I love it when people don't care so hard that they can't stop talking about how much they don't care.

Second, on actual topic,
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pmI just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.

But laying it all at Trumps, or any 1 persons, feet is just not something I'm willing to do. Like it or not, when this stuff happens I blame both sides for acting like petulant children.
The Trump Shutdown was different for one very significant reason. One man - Trump - refused to sign anything (which the Senate had previously accepted) unless it included his pointless and expensive vanity project. The other shutdowns? I honestly haven't researched them, but I somehow seriously doubt they were over something as petty, pointless, and backwards as a wall. I'm willing to bet a few internet dollars that they were over political agendas and real issues - not invented ones - where one person creates a mess and then demands we all pay to fix it.

Our government was shut down for a record-breaking period of time because one man was having a toddler-sized tantrum. Trump himself went out of his way to harm millions of people so he could get a shiny new toy.
Well, there is some similarity to the 2013 shutdown, which was engineered largely by one person (Ted Cruz) in order to try to achieve a policy goal that stood 0% chance of success (defunding Obamacare).
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm The other shutdowns? I honestly haven't researched them, but I somehow seriously doubt they were over something as petty, pointless, and backwards as a wall. I'm willing to bet a few internet dollars that they were over political agendas and real issues - not invented ones - where one person creates a mess and then demands we all pay to fix it.
You're forgetting that Trump campaigned on the idea that he would get 5 billion in funding from our tax dollars to pay for a wall. It's a mandate! This isn't a whim. The American People, by a vast majority, elected this man to tax us for this Wall.

/sarcasm
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I stand corrected, though that still somehow seems more politically motivated than Trump's shutdown.

I imagine the White House was something like this for 35 days, and it ended about the same way.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm I'll stop saying it when you stop making me say it. Seems like you're the one who aint getting it.
You know I don't care, so why keep pointing it out?
But..that's nonsensical. Why would you keep sharing your opinion if you don't care what people think about it? Is this your personal blog? And if you don't care, why do you keep telling us you don't care. Just...don't care. It's easy. It doesn't even require you to write anything about not caring.

And this is one of the many reasons I know you're a liar.

edit:
Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm Certainly doesn't speak to the question though. Why form an opinion, share it in a public forum and then refuse to engage in the validity of your opinion.
I see Unagi has that point covered.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pmGiving my opinion.
Why aren't you concerned with whether or not your opinion is correct or false?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion
Certainly doesn't speak to the question though. Why form an opinion, share it in a public forum and then refuse to engage in the validity of your opinion.
Explain to me how one validates an opinion.
By posting articles or statements of others opinions?
An opinion is just that.......an opinion. And this one is mine.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm Explain to me how one validates an opinion.
Uhh. really?

One validates their opinion by first sharing it with people and fleshing out if the way you've come to an opinion survives the light of day.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh good lord.

I'll sit the rest of this one out and watch from the sidelines.

:pop:

In support of you stimpy, I know how hard it is to have an entire forum take you on, and I sympathize. The problem is that this is something that we (universal we) bring on ourselves, so we (universal we) need to have our ducks in a row regarding what we write if we want to avoid it or address it. Defending an emotional opinion that is unpopular is something I've been through here on OO multiple times. It's not a lot of fun.

Your ducks are not in a row.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm Explain to me how one validates an opinion.
Uhh. really?

One validates their opinion by first sharing it with people and fleshing out if the way you've come to an opinion survives the light of day.
Lol......I express my opinion and you guys jump on it like dogs in heat.
And who judges what the light of day is?
That is ridiculous. My opinion doesn't need validation or acceptance from any one.
I feel the way I feel. This aint f-ing group therapy.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My opinion is that you live in Vladivostok, which is a protectorate if the Royal Empire of Japan and Wales, bordering Texas on the east and Newfoundland on the west. It is as valid as any other opinion since it is an opinion.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm Oh good lord.

I'll sit the rest of this one out and watch from the sidelines.

:pop:

In support of you stimpy, I know how hard it is to have an entire forum take you on, and I sympathize. The problem is that this is something that we (universal we) bring on ourselves, so we (universal we) need to have our ducks in a row regarding what we write if we want to avoid it or address it. Defending an emotional opinion that is unpopular is something I've been through here on OO multiple times. It's not a lot of fun.

Your ducks are not in a row.
It aint a whole forum.
It's 2 or 3 of ya that for whatever reason feel the need to dump on what I've clearly started is MY opinion.
It may not be based in fact or popular belief or pass "the light of day", but whatever. Why don't you guys go try and help Daehawk figure out why he feels the way he feels these days. That would be WAY more productive than this.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm My opinion is that you live in Vladivostok, which is a protectorate if the Royal Empire of Japan and Wales, bordering Texas on the east and Newfoundland on the west. It is as valid as any other opinion since it is an opinion.
That's about on par.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm My opinion is that you live in Vladivostok, which is a protectorate if the Royal Empire of Japan and Wales, bordering Texas on the east and Newfoundland on the west. It is as valid as any other opinion since it is an opinion.
I agree 100% or as we say in Vladivostok:
каждому свое
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:31 pm And who judges what the light of day is?
That is ridiculous. My opinion doesn't need validation or acceptance from any one.
There is a 60 lbs diamond buried in my backyard, and Jennifer Connelly secretly loves me and plans to leave her husband for me.

Just wanted people to know.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm
There is a 60 lbs diamond buried in my backyard, and Jennifer Connelly secretly loves me and plans to leave her husband for me.

Now you're getting it!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm It aint a whole forum.
Um, there aren't more than a handful of posters on a daily basis. The fact that multiple people are taking the time to repeat what others have already said is a pretty good indicator.

But you'll sleep well tonight regardless, so I don't see how it matters.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Um, there aren't more than a handful of posters on a daily basis. The fact that multiple people are taking the time to repeat what others have already said is a pretty good indicator.

Pssst....sidelines.....remember??
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:42 pm Now you're getting it!!!
It's fun to say that means you are right - but it doesn't. While I'd be entitled to that opinion - if you cared about - say my family, you may try and get me to understand I shouldn't leave them for Jennifer quite yet and I shouldn't quit my job until I actually dug up that diamond. Further more, if you cared about me - you may want to inspect what lead me to such ridiculous conclusions. That's if you cared. I guess I'm just letting you know why people may react to your opinion.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just to be clear, stimpy, the mockery has been dialed up a notch because you feel that having an opinion is enough, not for the opinion itself.

San Dimas High School Football Rules!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Pssst....sidelines.....remember??
True, but then you started taking umbrage that people would dare to criticize you for having an opinion, and that's a whole other kettle drum of fish. So I'm back. Joy for everyone involved.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My opinion has been stated repeatedly that I think most ALL of the politicians governing our lives suck, both D & R.
How you guys equate that with thinking I'm all pro Trump and pro Wall and fuck all the government employees is on you if you cant parse it out.
Show me where I've stated otherwise.
(That should buy me a half hour or so......)
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say that having uninformed opinions that are deemed uncorrectable due to the nature of opinions is probably more fun and a lot less work than having detailed, fact-based opinions.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

personally, it's when you fail to see (IMO) the obvious difference in Trump. The specifics. All of the glaring specifics. But you come here.... and when you do throw shade on 'R&D' alike, it's always actually directed toward the D mostly (with a /shrug that they all do it - and all suck)... but for instance... you started this all by showing what Trump should say tonight... which ignores how Trump's "Wall" is a fucking joke (if you are being a mature adult and being intellectually honest at all), and how the funding of this Wall was not ever part of his 'campaign promise'. So, yeah - looks like you support Trump to me.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 pm I will say that having uninformed opinions that are deemed uncorrectable due to the nature of opinions is probably more fun and a lot less work than having detailed, fact-based opinions.
lol. Oh why don't you grow up El Guapo.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:05 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 pm I will say that having uninformed opinions that are deemed uncorrectable due to the nature of opinions is probably more fun and a lot less work than having detailed, fact-based opinions.
That's your opinion.

I think I win, right? Pretty sure that I win.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
That's your opinion.

Enlarge Image

Actually on this day I am the winner. Six times over. :dance:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Win? There's no winning in opinions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:16 pm Win? There's no winning in opinions.
That's just your opinion.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am For better or worse, to me it's just kinda refreshing to see someone try and stick to their campaign promises.
Who the hell are you talking about here? Orange asshole promised Mexico would pay for his vanity project not the American taxpayer.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:15 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
That's your opinion.

Enlarge Image

Actually on this day I am the winner. Six times over. :dance:
Worth it just to have that in this thread.

Also, my opinion is that David Tyree did not catch the ball and that the Patriots went 19-0 that season.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm You know, that's great, but you do realize that there are actual people who spent a month without pay, right? Not like elected officials or anything, but real people. I guess as long as it doesn't hit you, it's all good, eh?
Of course I care. Nice try though. I just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.
Refusing to spend money on a project that accomplishes nothing is not being a petulant child. Otherwise the next time your child wants some piece of plastic garbage that will sit in the corner of their room doing nothing for the next several years but costs half your yearly income to buy you'd better buy it or you're just being petulant.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:31 pmI express my opinion and you guys jump on it like dogs in heat.
Any opinion backed by some amount of evidence will be debated as having some modicum of basis worth engaging in. Opinions slathered across a table with a butter knife and a snide smile will spark "jumping on it like dogs in heat" ... and it doesn't help that most of the people in this section of OO seem to have some level of informed-ness and interest in politics.

R&P doesn't handle feelings very well. If it starts with "In my opinion" or "I think" or "I feel" then you're going to need a good source to back it up or we'll see three pages of people trying to pointlessly knock it down.
Black Lives Matter

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:30 pm R&P doesn't handle feelings very well. If it starts with "In my opinion" or "I think" or "I feel" then you're going to need a good source to back it up or we'll see three pages of people trying to pointlessly knock it down.
And that's my point.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And that's the rub of it, right? Stimpy is committed to the belief that both parties (indeed, all politicians) are equally to blame here, and he doesn't want to believe otherwise, evidence be damned.
Jonathan Swift wrote:Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If I were you, as soon as he is delivered I'd get him started on digging up that diamond.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote:
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm You know, that's great, but you do realize that there are actual people who spent a month without pay, right? Not like elected officials or anything, but real people. I guess as long as it doesn't hit you, it's all good, eh?
Of course I care. Nice try though. I just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.
Refusing to spend money on a project that accomplishes nothing is not being a petulant child. Otherwise the next time your child wants some piece of plastic garbage that will sit in the corner of their room doing nothing for the next several years but costs half your yearly income to buy you'd better buy it or you're just being petulant.
To be fair, it accomplishes the goal of a massive stroke to Trump's vanity. In his opinion, it would be even more effective with 20 foot high TRUMP letters every mile., preferably with spotlights at night.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ya know.....I went to lunch and I pondered this over a nice Jersey Mikes #17.
As I sat there I noticed that other customers were coming in and NOT ordering #17.
I stood up and asked them why and anyone that couldn't explain why they weren't ordering a #17, I berated them until they came around to my way of thinking and ordered a #17. Turns out some of them were vegan and #17 is Philly Steak, but hey, f em.
They couldn't explain why they didn't want a #17 to my satisfaction, so they got what they deserved.
I only wish I had a few friends with me to make me feel more like I was doing the right thing.
He/Him/His/Porcupine