[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Zaxxon »

It's also the same selection you get as part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, only with 10 at a time vs 1/month, and on any Kindle device rather than just the 'actual' Kindles. Since this costs more than Prime, I can't see the value of this over Prime unless you read a shit-ton of books or don't value the rest of Prime.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I haven't found anything I was looking to read on the lending library.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:It's also the same selection you get as part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, only with 10 at a time vs 1/month, and on any Kindle device rather than just the 'actual' Kindles. Since this costs more than Prime, I can't see the value of this over Prime unless you read a shit-ton of books or don't value the rest of Prime.
I think you mean "any Kindle app" (iOS, Android, PC, etc) as opposed to "any Kindle device" above, correct?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Yes.
Hmm, yeah, not worth it for me personally, even with that (since I only use Kindle apps to read, and not the device itself).

I do fully expect this to open up to Prime members though...we'll see.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The new thing also applies to audiobooks, and you can do the whole whispersync thing. The current Prime lending library doesn't include audiobooks. Including them makes it more interesting to me, but the catalog would have to be a lot better than my local library's before I start paying a subscription fee.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Chaz wrote:If they offer a discounted rate for having Prime, I'm even more in.
Better still, just add it to Prime for no extra $$ like they did for movies and music! Woot!
You already can. There's a pool of 500,000+ books you can borrow from each calendar month as a Prime member at no cost - a single book. You don't have to return it to Amazon until you finish it, but you can't borrow another one until you do. I believe that this $9.99 monthly fee would let you borrow as many as you'd like.
If I'm not mistaken, that's only available for Kindle devices (not even the apps, which is what I use)
I didn't realize that this was available on kindle-app (eg, smartphone apps, computer apps). Can someone verify that that is the case?

It doesn't sound like the audiobooks would be available on anything other than kindle devices (since whispersync only works on them).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kindle Owners' Lending Library is not available for the apps. Kindle Unlimited is.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon wrote:It's also the same selection you get as part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, only with 10 at a time vs 1/month, and on any Kindle device rather than just the 'actual' Kindles. Since this costs more than Prime, I can't see the value of this over Prime unless you read a shit-ton of books or don't value the rest of Prime.
Or you really like listening to audiobooks. On your kindle. From a much smaller selection than is available on Audible.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Chaz wrote:The new thing also applies to audiobooks, and you can do the whole whispersync thing. The current Prime lending library doesn't include audiobooks. Including them makes it more interesting to me, but the catalog would have to be a lot better than my local library's before I start paying a subscription fee.
You can check whats available by going to "Browse all Kindle Unlimited" and then clicking the "whispersync for voice" option. There are 7,292 books listed (as opposed to ~49,000 available for all kindle books, and ~150,000 available on audible).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I read a shitload of books on my Kindle but between the one free per month and various sales I'm not sure I spend $120 a year on them...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Neuromancer by William Gibson is a $1.99 deal for today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is free as of this post. No idea for how long or why.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is free as of this post. No idea for how long or why.
One of my current favorite series right now. The second book was just released. Highly recommended.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And there's supposed to be 10 in total for the series right? So he should finish that up some time next year? :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

5-minute Marvel Stories is $1. Yay for my kids!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is free as of this post. No idea for how long or why.
Still free - thanks for the heads up!!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:And there's supposed to be 10 in total for the series right? So he should finish that up some time next year? :D
Ahh, good strategy releasing the first one free to hook you for the next 20 years.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not a daily deal, but I have no idea how long it will be free -- The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan. Sound familiar? Maybe it's because of the game on STEAM inspired by the story. Still not sure?
One May evening in 1914, an ordinary Londoner named Richard Hannay receives word of an anarchist plot to assassinate the prime minister of Greece. A few nights later, the eccentric American who revealed the conspiracy is found stabbed to death in Hannay’s flat. With only the dead man’s encrypted notes to guide him, Hannay must try to foil the assassination attempt while outpacing both the police and the conspirators, whose dastardly plans extend far beyond one Greek politician. The fate of England, it seems, rests on one mysterious phrase repeated throughout the American’s notebook; just what exactly are the thirty-nine steps?

Buchan’s groundbreaking novel, the first in a series featuring Richard Hannay, was adapted by Alfred Hitchcock and paved the way for Graham Greene, Robert Ludlum, John le Carré, and many other masters of literary espionage. Lightning-paced, relentlessly clever, and politically insightful, The Thirty-Nine Steps is just as thrilling today as when it was first published a century ago.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Oatmeal's cat book is $2 today. I think there are Oatmeal fans around here - not sure if any of them are also cat fans.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

His dog book is also $1.99, and is hilarious.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy is $5.75 for Kindle right now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Endorsed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I found it to be formulaic and almost clinical in how it was written, but it was entertaining enough to endorse at $6.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:I found it to be formulaic and almost clinical in how it was written, but it was entertaining enough to endorse at $6.
Yes we've read the same story a thousand times, but the magic system. Sanderson > Rothfuss... and The Stormlight Archive is looking to be ridiculous... oh and they are cheap right now too. $2.25 for 1000 pages of The Way of Kings. Jim Butcher are you watching you greedy bastard?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, not the plot - I actually thought the world, setting and magic system was very cool. The book (to me) just felt like someone was following a formula on how to write a book. I wish I could think of a specific example, but the writing style (?) felt stiff. I never felt like I was part of a story - it always felt very much like I was reading a set piece. Still enjoyable.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Smoove_B wrote:No, not the plot - I actually thought the world, setting and magic system was very cool. The book (to me) just felt like someone was following a formula on how to write a book. I wish I could think of a specific example, but the writing style (?) felt stiff. I never felt like I was part of a story - it always felt very much like I was reading a set piece. Still enjoyable.
I thought toward last book it was losing some steam as far as story, but the action and magic system and setting was phenomenal. Over was very happy with series, even if it lost some momentum in the end.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

coopasonic wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I found it to be formulaic and almost clinical in how it was written, but it was entertaining enough to endorse at $6.
Yes we've read the same story a thousand times, but the magic system. Sanderson > Rothfuss... and The Stormlight Archive is looking to be ridiculous... oh and they are cheap right now too. $2.25 for 1000 pages of The Way of Kings. Jim Butcher are you watching you greedy bastard?
Does the Stormlight series stay good? I thought the Way of Kings was good but overly long (padded).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Madmarcus wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Does the Stormlight series stay good? I thought the Way of Kings was good but overly long (padded).
Ask us in 10 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

coopasonic wrote:
Madmarcus wrote: Does the Stormlight series stay good? I thought the Way of Kings was good but overly long (padded).
Ask us in 10 years.
I've set a reminder. :)

I like Sanderson's writing even when its padded so in one sense I'm not worried. But as the Way of Kings went on it became clear that he's writing a superhero or anime type story whereas I wanted something closer to The First Law. I'm really not looking for an endorsement of quality but a confirmation of whether the power creep accelerates or not.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If you expected First Law from Sanderson, you'll be waiting a long time. His style is quite far afield from Abercrombie's.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie is the $2.99 deal of the day. I can't imagine that there's anyone who is a fan of the First Law series that hasn't picked this up already, but if you were waiting...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Raises hand. Thanks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, wow. You're in for a treat. The Heroes is my favorite of the three non-trilogy books, but I think Red Country is #2. It's a book you need to read if you still have lingering questions.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool. I loved The Heroes.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you just need random reading material, sort Kindle eBooks in your category by price and you can usually find some freebies. Whether they're any good is to be seen, but they're free.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote: I can't imagine that there's anyone who is a fan of the First Law series that hasn't picked this up already, but if you were waiting...
Not only had I not picked it up, I didn't even know it *existed.* :shock:

Needless to say, it has been boughtened.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Red Country by Joe Abercrombie is the $2.99 deal of the day. I can't imagine that there's anyone who is a fan of the First Law series that hasn't picked this up already, but if you were waiting...
Grabbed it - thanks! (didn't know it existed either...)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. I had no idea it wasn't well known. You're really all in for a treat. It's a great story and a perfect way to uh...well, stuff.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Wow. I had no idea it wasn't well known. You're really all in for a treat. It's a great story and a perfect way to uh...well, stuff.
I don't think I've read Best Served Cold yet either. I think I grabbed The Heroes (and read it) when it was on sale too - I'm sensing a pattern here...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.