Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:35 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 am IDK what any of those things are, but I'm prepared to discuss Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo. I wonder what rebooting those for today's toddlers would look like.
I have fond memories of Captain Kangaroo from my own childhood. And Sesame Street.
Likewise. I still remember sending away for Picture Pages so I could play along with Bill Cosby (!) I would also add The Electric Company and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

For the others, I have no knowledge of kids' shows between my own childhood and my kids' childhoods, nor of any kids' shows since. I just have those two brief windows into that world.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:39 am I would also add The Electric Company and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.
Absolutely. Fred Rogers was a saint.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He absolutely was.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Look: something we can all agree upon.

Anyone who shits on Mr Rogers gets an immediate ban. It's right there in the terms of service. And I say this as someone who was too old for the neighborhood.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:07 am Look: something we can all agree upon.

Anyone who shits on Mr Rogers gets an immediate ban. It's right there in the terms of service. And I say this as someone who was too old for the neighborhood.
Amen.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:07 am Look: something we can all agree upon.

Anyone who shits on Mr Rogers gets an immediate ban. It's right there in the terms of service. And I say this as someone who was too old for THIS neighborhood.
Mandela'ed.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought Lazy Town was pretty good. Backyardigans was on the same level as Little Einstein's for me - ok in short doses but got old quick. Handy Manny was better than Dora the Explorer. Blue's Clues was really good for the four and under crowd, but would put me to sleep.

We were living in South Carolina not far from Clemson when my daughter was really into Blue's Clues. We were walking in the mall one day when we passed a Clemson merch store with the Clemson pawprint prominently displayed. My daughter started saying "A clue! A clue!!". Took my wife and I a minute to figure it out, then we died laughing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:14 am I thought Lazy Town was pretty good. Backyardigans was on the same level as Little Einstein's for me - ok in short doses but got old quick. Handy Manny was better than Dora the Explorer. Blue's Clues was really good for the four and under crowd, but would put me to sleep.
I liked Backyardigans because they would often have music-themed episodes. I remember one episode was all prog-rock which I enjoyed a lot moe than my kid did. My kid had a Dora phase that I couldn't wait for her to outgrow.

Lazy Town was weird. I appreciate weird.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:21 am
None of them were as good as The Backyardigans, but Lazy Town wasn't too bad.
This week I found myself in a waiting room with a little kid watching The Backyardigans on his mom's ipad.

I almost teared up from nostalgia. Watching that show with my own young kids (now 20/17-years-old) was such a lovely thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Backyardigans were freaking awesome. Some of the best music writing in any kids show ever.

I also really enjoyed Sofia the First. A lot of great songs in that one as well, even though Sofia's mom was a gold-digging b**** and we all knew it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sofia was good. I might have missed the subtext that lead to your conclusions.

Doc McStuffins was entertaining as well as was Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - at least before Toodles got a face.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

stessier wrote:Sofia was good. I might have missed the subtext that lead to your conclusions.
It always bugged me that she was a peasant woman that the King took a liking to, and after he married her she suddenly turned into this prim and proper better-than-thou Queen that was always getting on to Sofia even though Sofia was the only one who actually stayed grounded after going from total poverty to limitless wealth. So in my mind she kind of had this planned all along.

Yes, it's completely insane to hate a fictional children's cartoon character purely because of a backstory I concocted in my own mind, but these cartoons were on 24/7, you had to entertain yourself somehow.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 am I'm prepared to discuss Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo. I wonder what rebooting those for today's toddlers would look like.
The Magic Mirror would be a Zoom video conference with a bunch of viewers.

I see Gretta, and Billy, and +=+Devourer_69+=+, and Jenny, and Andrew, and...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:32 am
stessier wrote:Sofia was good. I might have missed the subtext that lead to your conclusions.
It always bugged me that she was a peasant woman that the King took a liking to, and after he married her she suddenly turned into this prim and proper better-than-thou Queen that was always getting on to Sofia even though Sofia was the only one who actually stayed grounded after going from total poverty to limitless wealth. So in my mind she kind of had this planned all along.

Yes, it's completely insane to hate a fictional children's cartoon character purely because of a backstory I concocted in my own mind, but these cartoons were on 24/7, you had to entertain yourself somehow.
LOL (OMG!) - I did nearly the same exact thing with this show.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm with Kraken here. I have no idea what any of you are talking about. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Of all the kid shows we watched with our kids, I think our personal favorite was: Jack's Big Music Show, especially when the Schwartzman Quartet would show up.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 am IDK what any of those things are, but I'm prepared to discuss Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo. I wonder what rebooting those for today's toddlers would look like.
It was such a thrill when she looked in the mirror and actually saw me and said my name!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Don't forget, spiderman on the small screen!

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:32 am Of all the kid shows we watched with our kids, I think our personal favorite was: Jack's Big Music Show, especially when the Schwartzman Quartet would show up.
We started buying Laurie Berkner CDs because the kids liked it so much!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In elementary schools in the late 70s early 80s we always stopped class to watch electric company. It was fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:35 am
I have fond memories of Captain Kangaroo from my own childhood. And Sesame Street.
Same.

From my kids TV watching, I really enjoyed Phineas and Ferb. Even more, as a Billie Eilish fan the Doofenshmirtz version of Bad Guy was even better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:14 am Backyardigans was on the same level as Little Einstein's for me - ok in short doses but got old quick.
That was more or less my feeling - Backyardigans was fine, but I didn't want too much of it.
Handy Manny was better than Dora the Explorer.
Syphilis is better than Dora the Explorer.
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 am The Backyardigans were freaking awesome. Some of the best music writing in any kids show ever.
For actual musical kids shows, I still have to give the award to The Wiggles (the original group), especially their earlier episodes, which had as much folk as modern "kids' music." They also had enough variety that you weren't subjected to the same songs over and over.

Luckily, my kids were just as happy with older shows, so I was able to mix the early-CGI, committee-designed kids shows with older fare - Dexter's Laboratory, Ren & Stimpy, Batman the Animated Series (as well as Superman and Justice League), etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an aside, they absolutely destroyed one of the most-watched shows in our home shortly after my kids stopped watching it: Thomas the Tank Engine. They went from the beautifully designed models and scenery to generic CGI and carefully planned stories, which sucked all of the charm and personality out of the show. I know they did something similar with Bob the Builder (although it didn't have as much charm to begin with.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will die on the hill fighting for Yo Gabba Gabba being the greatest kids TV show of the last 20+ years.

Jack's Big Music Show was definitely a close #2.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Y'all need to get some Bluey in your lives...
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:00 pm I will die on the hill fighting for Yo Gabba Gabba being the greatest kids TV show of the last 20+ years.
Only kids show I know of with MCR.

I had forgotten about Yo Gabba Gabba. It didn't really grab my kid so I wasn't exposed to it that often.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:32 am Of all the kid shows we watched with our kids, I think our personal favorite was: Jack's Big Music Show, especially when the Schwartzman Quartet would show up.
We started buying Laurie Berkner CDs because the kids liked it so much!
I love this, I need to check it out - does it still get airtime?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Laurie Berkner was annoying. Dan Zanes was the real deal.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of the more obscure shows that I watched as a kid was Secret City with Commander Mark (with his Commander marker.)

And apparently they've done a documentary:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:41 pm Laurie Berkner was annoying. Dan Zanes was the real deal.
Love Dan Zanes. We raised our kids on Dan Zanes, They Might Be Giants, and Pete Seeger.

I think Dan Zanes' sea shanties album (which is only barely "kids' music") is why my oldest son is now a sailor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That Mark guy seems familiar. Maybe as an adult I saw his show. Was it Canadian? I dont recall it being here in the states. He is like a Tom Selleck for kids.

I grew up on Captain Kangaroo. And a local tv station kids half hour show made local.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I always wondered if Captain Kangeroo ever saw any action while he was in the military? He had a haunted look about him.
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 pm I always wondered if Captain Kangeroo ever saw any action while he was in the military? He had a haunted look about him.
He did not. He hadn't shipped out before the war ended.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:22 pm Don't forget, spiderman on the small screen!

Starring Morgan Freeman as Stan Lee.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 pm I always wondered if Captain Kangeroo ever saw any action while he was in the military? He had a haunted look about him.
In the days before memes, there were urban legends. One of these was that Captain Kangaroo had been on Iwo Jima.

(He graduated high school in 1945 and joined the USMC reserve, but he never saw any action.)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:27 pm
In the days before memes, there were urban legends. One of these was that Captain Kangaroo had been on Iwo Jima.

(He graduated high school in 1945 and joined the USMC reserve, but he never saw any action.)
Somebody needs to photoshop him into that raising the flag scene.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:16 pm One of the more obscure shows that I watched as a kid was Secret City with Commander Mark (with his Commander marker.)

My brother had a career in motion picture animation and is now a professor of animation, but his love of drawing started with this show. I still remember the secret city mural he started.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wow, that is a blast from the past. I LOVED Secret City. Commander Mark had such a great way of instilling confidence in your drawing.

If you want to get super obscure, did anyone watch Kids Writes? It was a Nickelodeon show where performers would act out poems and stories submitted by kids.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:38 am Wow, that is a blast from the past. I LOVED Secret City. Commander Mark had such a great way of instilling confidence in your drawing.
He really had the right energy and enthusiasm for a kids' show. And given how he comes across in the trailer for the documentary, he's still got it.