Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Kraken »

America's Surprising Partisan Divide on Life Expectancy

...didn't surprise me: People in blue counties live longer than those in red counties.

But when you slice up the country in an interesting way you get interesting data that comparing red and blue states misses. These are his regions:
Yankeedom (pop. 55.8 million)
Founded by Puritans who sought to perfect earthly society through social engineering, individual denial for common good, and the assimilation of outsiders. The common good — ensured by popular government — took precedence over individual liberty when the two were in conflict.

New Netherland (pop. 18.8 million)
Dutch-founded and retains characteristics of 17th century Amsterdam: a global commercial trading culture, materialistic, multicultural and committed to tolerance and the freedom of inquiry and conscience.

Tidewater (pop. 12.6 million)
Founded by lesser sons of landed gentry seeking to recreate the semi-feudal manorial society of English countryside. Conservative with strong respect for authority and tradition, this culture is rapidly eroding because of its small physical size and the massive federal presence around D.C. and Hampton Roads.

Greater Appalachia (pop. 59 million)
Settlers overwhelmingly from war-ravaged Northern Ireland, Northern England and Scottish lowlands were deeply committed to personal sovereignty and intensely suspicious of external authority.

The Midlands (pop. 37.7 million)
Founded by English Quakers, who believed in humans’ inherent goodness and welcomed people of many nations and creeds. Pluralistic and organized around the middle class; ethnic and ideological purity never a priority; government seen as an unwelcome intrusion.

Deep South (pop. 43.5 million)
Established by English Barbadian slave lords who championed classical republicanism modeled on slave states of the ancient world, where democracy was the privilege of the few and subjugation and enslavement the natural lot of the many.

El Norte (pop. 33.3 million)
Borderlands of Spanish-American empire, so far from Mexico City and Madrid that it developed its own characteristics: independent, self-sufficient, adaptable and work-centered. Often sought to break away from Mexico to become independent buffer state, annexed into U.S. instead.

Left Coast (pop. 17.9 million)
Founded by New Englanders (who came by ship) and farmers, prospectors and fur traders from the lower Midwest (by wagon), it’s a fecund hybrid of Yankee utopianism and the Appalachian emphasis on self-expression and exploration.

Far West (pop. 28.7 million)
Extreme environment stopped eastern cultures in their path, so settlement largely controlled by distant corporations or federal government via deployment of railroads, dams, irrigation and mines; exploited as an internal colony, with lasting resentments.
The study does find some surprises as it drills down.

For example, there's the expected :
The results show enormous gaps between the regions that don’t go away when you parse by race, income, education, urbanization or access to quality medical care. They amount to a rebuke to generations of elected officials in the Deep South, Greater Appalachia and New France — most of whom have been Republican in recent decades — who have resisted investing tax dollars in public goods and health programs.
And the not-so-obvious:
One of the most arresting facts that emerged from our analysis was that the most impoverished quartile of U.S. counties in Yankeedom (ones where around 30 to 60 percent of children live in poverty) have a higher life expectancy than the least impoverished quartile of U.S. counties (where child poverty ranges from 3 to 15 percent) in the Deep South by 0.3 years. Those are both big regions (circa 50 million people each) with a wide mix of counties: rural, urban, rich, poor, blue-collar and white-collar, agricultural and industrial. If you compare the poorest category of counties in (completely urbanized) New Netherland to the richest ones in Deep South, the former has a 0.4-year advantage in life expectancy. And people in the Left Coast’s poorest quartile of counties live 2.4 years longer than those in the richest quartile counties in the Deep South.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read his book some years back - American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America. It is very much worth a read and it's proved an insightful framework for analyzing the interaction of national party politics with different regions.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:08 am I read his book some years back - American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America. It is very much worth a read and it's proved an insightful framework for analyzing the interaction of national party politics with different regions.
We had a little thread on it some years ago: Which American nation is yours?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh cool. Another form is bribery is legal in the United States again! Americans can pretty much freely bribe non-governmental officials outside the United States based on the latest SCOTUS read on wire fraud statutes. It has never been a better time to be an oligarch or grifter.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My question is why they weren't charged under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:57 pm My question is why they weren't charged under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
As far as I know, FCPA only applies when bribing government officials. FIFA is non-governmental.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With the enactment of certain amendments in 1998, the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA now also apply to foreign firms and persons who cause, directly or through agents, an act in furtherance of such a corrupt payment to take place within the territory of the United States.
SEC
The FCPA can apply to prohibited conduct anywhere in the world and extends to publicly traded companies and their officers, directors, employees, stockholders, and agents. Agents can include third party agents, consultants, distributors, joint-venture partners, and others.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting. I'm guessing they had to analyze that and it didn't fit that either for some reason. Maybe because FIFA isn't public and there aren't any planned FIFA events here? I'm obviously speculating but they went this route for some reason. Maybe they'll refile under that statute if they can...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had another run-in with a Trump fuckhead neighbor. Interesting, isn't it, that out of the two times I've been accosted in my own neighborhood for no reason, both were Trump supporters. Those people are fucking psycho hotheads.

I was waiting to pick up my daughter from the bus stop (as I've done every day of school for the past 2 years I've lived here) and this guy pulls up, motions for me to roll down my window, and says, "YOU CAN'T PARK HERE!" I said, "I'm picking my kid up from school." He then proceeds to tell me THIS IS A PRIVATE NEIGHBORHOOD!

I said, I'm aware it's a private neighborhood because I live here. He says, "You don't live here." I was like, "Yes I do." He then tells me I'm forcing kids to cross a busy street and putting their lives in danger. I said, " I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm picking my daughter up who rides the bus so she doesn't have to cross a busy street." He then asks for my address.

I told him I wasn't going to give him my address. He says, "Because you don't live here." I said again, "Yes I do, but I don't give random people my address." He then tells me he has my license plate number, and that he's going to sit right there, wait for me to pick up my kid THEN FOLLOW US HOME. I was fucking livid at this point.

I tell the guy "This conversation is over, I'm picking up my daughter" and roll the window up. He sits there in his truck just watching me.

Well my wife was on speaker phone during this whole conversation and she hears it all. And she goes apeshit. She hangs up and 2 minutes later her car pulls up, she gets out, and she starts tearing the guy a new asshole. My daughter arrives about this time and I get her in the car and explain what's going on. Turns out my wife is in the book club with his wife, so when he started accusing her of not living in the neighborhood either she proceeded to give him his wife's name, his neighbor's name, his dog's name, and exactly where he lived. :lol: That shut him up and he hemmed and hawed before apologizing.

I then got the satisfaction of him having to pull up and apologize profusely to me as well.

The guy's a total dick and even if he wanted to know why my car was parked there all he had to do was ask nicely. Not threaten to follow me and my child home.

Both times these guys claimed that there had been "problems" with people outside the neighborhood using our neighborhood as a drop off point for the school across the street. Yet not once in 2 and a half years have I seen a single car I didn't recognize at the bus stop. Some "problem." They're just looking for an excuse to fight with someone.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What on earth is a private neighborhood, anyway?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I read that as a gated community.

We live a block from a school and often have people blocking or even parking in our driveway during drop off or pickup. It drives me nuts, but the most confrontational I've gotten with anyone about it was telling someone to at least stay off my lawn (he had a tire on my grass). That level of confrontational just doesn't compute in my mind.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's not a gated community. It just has a sign (put up by the neighborhood) which says it is a private neighborhood, residents and visitors only. Completely meaningless. It's a public road, and where I park is nowhere near any driveways or homes, it's on the side near a common grassy area.

This guy's just a dick and nobody in the neighborhood likes him. Not even his wife, apparently (according to the way she talks about him at the book club). :lol: He's always stomping around in his LET'S GO BRANDON shirt if that gives any indication as to his mental capacity.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I would find more glee in stories like this if the perpetrators would learn anything from it. He was embarrassed enough to apologize (Amazing! Really!) but not embarrassed enough to avoid repeating this nonsense the next time.

Many, many kudos to your wife.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:49 am It's not a gated community. It just has a sign (put up by the neighborhood) which says it is a private neighborhood, residents and visitors only.
But like, who else is there? People who live there, people who don't live there but are there temporarily...but keep out space aliens or something?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Salespeople, contractors, utility workers,...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:10 pm Salespeople
I read that as Sandpeople, and I can see why you would want to keep the Tuskan Raiders out.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They do travel single file to hide their numbers.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If the Tuskan raiders are not selling solar panels or pest control, I'd actually welcome them over our current solicitors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:16 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:10 pm Salespeople
I read that as Sandpeople, and I can see why you would want to keep the Tuskan Raiders out.
They're all gone. Not just the men, but the women and children too.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:10 pm Salespeople, contractors, utility workers,...
Those are all visitors while in the neighborhood.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:04 pm But like, who else is there? People who live there, people who don't live there but are there temporarily...but keep out space aliens or something?
I read that as people who have a personal relationship with people in the neighbourhood, or who have been invited intentionally into the neighbourhood, such as contractors etc.

As YK himself points out, it's a meaningless sign with zero real effect, but that's how I read it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

At least most of the GOP know when to retire within a reasonable time frame... Most... Kentucky and Texas politicians need not apply.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

<groan> You had a great career, Nancy, but it's time to retire.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:42 pm
I don't get why we would care about this. If she were trying to reclaim her speaker / leadership post, sure, that would be grating. But in terms of her continuing to be a representative for two more years? She's qualified, as far as I'm aware she's still fully sharp and cognitive, and it's a two year term...so I'm fine with it, but mainly I don't really care one way or the other.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:19 pm
I don't get why we would care about this. If she were trying to reclaim her speaker / leadership post, sure, that would be grating. But in terms of her continuing to be a representative for two more years? She's qualified, as far as I'm aware she's still fully sharp and cognitive, and it's a two year term...so I'm fine with it, but mainly I don't really care one way or the other.
The electorate is widely fed up with gerontocracy. The Biden/trump rematch that nobody wants, Moscow Mitch seizing up, Feinstein being almost on life support.... Of course, it will be up to her district to decide how fed up they are. I wonder if she'll even be primaried.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Added a little Strom in there for good measure.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:19 pm I don't get why we would care about this.
Her district is like ~70% (D) leaning, I think, so it's not like it's a heavily contested seat that is in danger of going to a GOP lunatic. Instead, this is ego and likely financial gain. F-ing boomers have a choke-hold on everything, including politics.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 pm
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Which one of those is Pelosi?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:30 pm
The electorate is widely fed up with gerontocracy. The Biden/trump rematch that nobody wants, Moscow Mitch seizing up, Feinstein being almost on life support.... Of course, it will be up to her district to decide how fed up they are. I wonder if she'll even be primaried.
Then I guess the electorate won't re-elect her.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:18 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 pm
Which one of those is Pelosi?
She’s next in the gallery of politicians way past their expiration dates who refuse to retire/stop/step down for the good of the country.

Bit surprised I’m having to make that connection.

Are you suggesting that it’s best to wait until the octogenarians are actively having aneurysms in public and revert into petulant children before we dare say they are unfit?

And yes, the electorate should decide, but the leaders in question share some responsibility to make smart choices around this as well IMO.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:52 pm She’s next in the gallery of politicians way past their expiration dates who refuse to retire/stop/step down for the good of the country.
What good is served by her retiring?
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:52 pm Are you suggesting that it’s best to wait until the octogenarians are actively having aneurysms in public and revert into petulant children before we dare say they are unfit?
I'm suggesting we wait until they are unfit to dare say they are unfit. Is that wrong?
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's not only a matter of fitness. All of human history involved passing the baton to your children to manage their own affairs. Up until this narcisstic bunch of octogenarians.

They've...only ruined our country. Yet we are supposed to wait until they start physically malfunctioning before we start to care? That doesn't make much sense to me.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What's your solution then?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:45 pm It's not only a matter of fitness. All of human history involved passing the baton to your children to manage their own affairs. Up until this narcisstic bunch of octogenarians.
How foolish is it to make decisions today based on all of human history? And to also think things have been just peachy up until this latest batch of old people.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:48 pm What's your solution then?
I would think just shaming them but they have no shame. They are beyond selfish. So we move on to the practical. Term limits is probably the best fit. I don't know 20 years? That's seems like a reasonable amount of time
but that is entirely arbitrary. I general, I'm not a fan of term limits but perhaps that is the only way to rid ourselves of these utter failures.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:50 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:45 pm It's not only a matter of fitness. All of human history involved passing the baton to your children to manage their own affairs. Up until this narcisstic bunch of octogenarians.
How foolish is it to make decisions today based on all of human history?
You seemed to have missed the point.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wouldn't an upper age limit better solve your problem than a term limit? Someone could be forced out of politics in their 50s that way.