Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:57 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:49 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 am Did you listen to Serious Trouble this week? That gag order doesn't sound like it will hold up to appeal.
So defendants are allowed to spew threats into the public forum because 4th amendment? That seems unlikely.
First amendment, but the gag order said he was not allowed to "target" certain people with no definition of what "target" means. To even begin to pass constitutional muster, any order must be narrowly tailored to achieve the goal. If you can't even define what actions are prohibited, it's not narrowly tailored. Saying "you know it when you see it" doesn't work here.
Really? "Target" isn't that vague. At least, there are criminal statutes that are much vaguer than that.
Did his current post target Meadows? It made statements that addressed his conduct but wasn't being sent directly to Meadows. Smith said as much - it was Smith's belief that it was indirect knowing that Meadows would see it. If it's indirect, how is that targeting? How could anything NOT be targeting knowing that everything Trump says is newsworthy and gets reported so everyone will see it? Could he ever defend his innocence and say that he and Meadows worked closely on a making a decision?
Mentioning Meadows by name is absolutely targeting Meadows. There's ample evidence about what happens when people are mentioned by name by Trump in his posts, the threats that that triggers. It's way *more* of a target when Trump posts it somewhere where his followers are going to see it - that's way more of an issue than if Trump calls or texts Meadows directly.

Are there real First Amendment issues here? Absolutely. But at the same time, we all (including Trump) know the likely effects of Trump attacking people by name in his social media posts, and what Trump wants to achieve thereby. So the question is whether the courts will allow that.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:04 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:57 am Did his current post target Meadows? It made statements that addressed his conduct but wasn't being sent directly to Meadows. Smith said as much - it was Smith's belief that it was indirect knowing that Meadows would see it. If it's indirect, how is that targeting? How could anything NOT be targeting knowing that everything Trump says is newsworthy and gets reported so everyone will see it? Could he ever defend his innocence and say that he and Meadows worked closely on a making a decision?
I don't understand this.

If you blow up a crowd because you're trying to kill 1 person, is that not a targeted killing?

If I yell "fuck you drumpf, I hope you die" in a crowd that I know contains drumpf, is that not targeted?

If I make finger gun motions at a news camera and suggest anyone testifying against me better watch out *wink*, is that not directed targeted at literally everyone testifying against me?
I'm not on Truth Social - these are the transcripts I found online on Newsweek.
I don't think Mark Meadows would lie about the Rigged and Stollen [sic] 2020 Presidential Election merely for getting IMMUNITY against Prosecution (PERSECUTION!) by Deranged Prosecutor, Jack Smith. BUT, when you really think about it, after being hounded like a dog for three years, told you'll be going to jail for the rest of your life, your money and your family will be forever gone, and we're not at all interested in exposing those that did the RIGGING - If you say BAD THINGS about that terrible "MONSTER," DONALD J. TRUMP, we won't put you in prison, you can keep your family and your welath, and perhaps, if you can make up some really horrible "STUFF" aout him, we may very well erect a statue of you in the middle of our decaying and now very violent Capital, Washington D.C. Some people would make that deal, but they are weaklings and cowards, and so bad for the future [of] our Failing Nation. I don't think that Mark Meadows is one of them, but who really knows? MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!

Mark Meadows NEVER told me that allegations of significant fraud (about the RIGGED Election!) were baseless. He certainly didn't say that in his book!

Are one, both, or neither finger guns? What part is he allowed to say and what part is he prohibited from?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

The first and not the second. It's not a close call on the first IMO - clearly targeting Meadows and using inflammatory rhetoric that could easily be read as intimidating a witness or could lead to violence. The second is a brief and generally non-inflammatory statement.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:57 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:49 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 am Did you listen to Serious Trouble this week? That gag order doesn't sound like it will hold up to appeal.
So defendants are allowed to spew threats into the public forum because 4th amendment? That seems unlikely.
First amendment, but the gag order said he was not allowed to "target" certain people with no definition of what "target" means. To even begin to pass constitutional muster, any order must be narrowly tailored to achieve the goal. If you can't even define what actions are prohibited, it's not narrowly tailored. Saying "you know it when you see it" doesn't work here.
Really? "Target" isn't that vague. At least, there are criminal statutes that are much vaguer than that.
Did his current post target Meadows? It made statements that addressed his conduct but wasn't being sent directly to Meadows. Smith said as much - it was Smith's belief that it was indirect knowing that Meadows would see it. If it's indirect, how is that targeting? How could anything NOT be targeting knowing that everything Trump says is newsworthy and gets reported so everyone will see it? Could he ever defend his innocence and say that he and Meadows worked closely on a making a decision?
Mentioning Meadows by name is absolutely targeting Meadows. There's ample evidence about what happens when people are mentioned by name by Trump in his posts, the threats that that triggers. It's way *more* of a target when Trump posts it somewhere where his followers are going to see it - that's way more of an issue than if Trump calls or texts Meadows directly.

Are there real First Amendment issues here? Absolutely. But at the same time, we all (including Trump) know the likely effects of Trump attacking people by name in his social media posts, and what Trump wants to achieve thereby. So the question is whether the courts will allow that.
So your proposition is that he is literally not allowed to mention the name of any of the witnesses? Is it only because of Truth Social? Could he make the comments in a media gaggle? How about Twitter?

"Mark Meadows and I worked well together - he would never lie about me." Why should that not be allowed?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:32 am The first and not the second. It's not a close call on the first IMO - clearly targeting Meadows and using inflammatory rhetoric that could easily be read as intimidating a witness or could lead to violence. The second is a brief and generally non-inflammatory statement.
Now come up with a definition of targeting that prohibits the first and not the second.

Edit: And I don't say that to be a jerk - if I'm Trump, how do I know that it's okay to post the second but not the first so I don't run afoul of the gag order?
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:34 am
malchior wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:32 am The first and not the second. It's not a close call on the first IMO - clearly targeting Meadows and using inflammatory rhetoric that could easily be read as intimidating a witness or could lead to violence. The second is a brief and generally non-inflammatory statement.
Now come up with a definition of targeting that prohibits the first and not the second.
This is where the analysis breaks down for me. It's clear to any reasonable adult what the order meant. Edit: As clear as that the "first" statement above is the issue. It's plain. However, he is a child so luckily he also has a flood of attorneys to explain it to him so I frankly don't buy he doesn't understand the limits.

That said, I hear and acknowledge some of the technical arguments put forward are friction points but others disagree on those or their weight. However, the idea they need some surgical wording is unrealistic and unwarranted.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Edit: And I don't say that to be a jerk - if I'm Trump, how do I know that it's okay to post the second but not the first so I don't run afoul of the gag order?
First of all, it's unnecessary and impossible to write a definition that's going to clearly let everyone know in advance every post that's allowed or not allowed. There needs to be some kind of standard to let people know the kind of things that are allowed, but at the end of the day it's going to be up to the court to decide whether a given post crosses the line or not. Like by contrast, here's wire fraud language:
18 U.S.C. § 1343 criminalizes the devising of (or the intent to devise) any scheme to defraud or to acquire money or property under false pretenses, by use of some form of electronic communication (wire, radio, television, internet, or even instant messages and text messages) in interstate or foreign commerce
What's a "scheme"? What does it mean to "defraud"? How can the defendant know in advance whether someone will later regard their statements as "false"?

Here, I think the standard is basically that Trump posting anything negative about someone who is a likely witness in his case (on either side) is suspect, and the more negative (and more threatening) the worse it is. That's not that hard to follow or to understand. Is that a speech restriction? Absolutely, but this is against the backdrop of a situation where we *know* that anyone that Trump posts negative stuff about is going to get threats, and against the backdrop of someone who has been indicted and is therefore subject to the jurisdiction of the court.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:39 am That said, I hear and acknowledge some of the technical arguments put forward are friction points but others disagree on those or their weight. However, the idea they need some surgical wording is unrealistic and unwarranted.
Legal system is chock full of "a reasonable man" definitions.

Does the 1st amendment make it a little trickier? Probably, but not outrageously so.

In the end, like everything in the legal system, we won't know until there is precedent. I'm fine with this being a test case, but I'd be super surprised if this isn't established law already.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I went and dug up the original text of the order.

The problem, as I see it, is that it prevents Trump from targeting these people for anything. Not threatening them, intimidating them, or calling for action against them is one thing - but he can't target them with sarcasm, or commentary, or legitimate criticism, or with a funny meme about cats (not that he was planning on doing any of that.) It might be arguable that he can't legally make any reference to anyone involved in the case in any way whatsoever. That seems to be the issue - the order, as written, goes beyond what the judge should be allowed to impose on a citizen.

So yeah, it just needs to be revoked, reworded, and re-implemented to specify what he's not allowed to target people with.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Honestly who cares? It's a temporary measure to shut up a big mouth who won't listen to his lawyers who are telling him to shut his friggin' trap in the first place.

the rest of the world when asked about anything they are indicted for: No comment

Drumpf: Well, let you tell you how illegal, corrupt and targeted this whole thing is, and let me add people to my list of enemies as they are added to the case. Here's the list so far. Also, I didn't do it. Also also, it wasn't illegal. Also, also, also when I'm president again they will get what's coming to them. Lastly, freedom of speech!! (for me and no one else, obv)

I have no issue with the court providing him with a list of people who he's not allowed to mention (positive, negative, in passing, nothing) in any public forum until the case is over.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:37 pm Honestly who cares? It's a temporary measure to shut up a big mouth who won't listen to his lawyers who are telling him to shut his friggin' trap in the first place.

the rest of the world when asked about anything they are indicted for: No comment

Drumpf: Well, let you tell you how illegal, corrupt and targeted this whole thing is, and let me add people to my list of enemies as they are added to the case. Here's the list so far. Also, I didn't do it. Also also, it wasn't illegal. Also, also, also when I'm president again they will get what's coming to them. Lastly, freedom of speech!! (for me and no one else, obv)

I have no issue with the court providing him with a list of people who he's not allowed to mention (positive, negative, in passing, nothing) in any public forum until the case is over.
I do. There is a limit to the authority granted to revoke Constitutional rights for a good reason, and I am not OK with the idea of a judge exceeding that just because I don't like the guy it's applied to. And it isn't like there can't be a gag order placed that doesn't exceed that authority. He should absolutely be restricted - but the judge can't be allowed to exceed her authority, either, or it risks becoming standard practice.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:46 am

First of all, it's unnecessary and impossible to write a definition that's going to clearly let everyone know in advance every post that's allowed or not allowed. There needs to be some kind of standard to let people know the kind of things that are allowed, but at the end of the day it's going to be up to the court to decide whether a given post crosses the line or not. Like by contrast, here's wire fraud language:
18 U.S.C. § 1343 criminalizes the devising of (or the intent to devise) any scheme to defraud or to acquire money or property under false pretenses, by use of some form of electronic communication (wire, radio, television, internet, or even instant messages and text messages) in interstate or foreign commerce
What's a "scheme"? What does it mean to "defraud"? How can the defendant know in advance whether someone will later regard their statements as "false"?

Here, I think the standard is basically that Trump posting anything negative about someone who is a likely witness in his case (on either side) is suspect, and the more negative (and more threatening) the worse it is. That's not that hard to follow or to understand. Is that a speech restriction? Absolutely, but this is against the backdrop of a situation where we *know* that anyone that Trump posts negative stuff about is going to get threats, and against the backdrop of someone who has been indicted and is therefore subject to the jurisdiction of the court.
I disagree because of the special treatment speech gets because of the 1st amendment. It's why there are only 4 (I think) exceptions - true threats, defamation, incitement, and obscenity (which is basically only down to CSAM at this point). These groups are getting more narrowly defined, not broader. It's why speech laws continue to get struck down - can you even remember the last one that was upheld? Punish people after saying something - sure. But stopping someone from saying something is (justifiably) ridiculously hard.

She could make it really easy and say he's not allowed to issue true threats against any of the participants - but what's the point - that's already illegal. She could say he can't tamper with witnesses - but what's the point - that's already illegal. So what would any gag order accomplish that can't be accomplished through other, already established, means?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:44 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:37 pm Honestly who cares? It's a temporary measure to shut up a big mouth who won't listen to his lawyers who are telling him to shut his friggin' trap in the first place.

I do. There is a limit to the authority granted to revoke Constitutional rights for a good reason, and I am not OK with the idea of a judge exceeding that just because I don't like the guy it's applied to. And it isn't like there can't be a gag order placed that doesn't exceed that authority. He should absolutely be restricted - but the judge can't be allowed to exceed her authority, either, or it risks becoming standard practice.
As the Serious Trouble podcast notes, there is surprisingly little case law when it comes to gag orders because 1) who wants to annoy the person judging them and 2) who has the money to burn appealing? So the limits of gag orders are fuzzy to say the least.

As for the second part - totally agree. Just imagine you're on trial and the same power being requested is in the hands of Trump's cadre. People thought we were headed for totalitarianism before....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:44 pm I do. There is a limit to the authority granted to revoke Constitutional rights for a good reason, and I am not OK with the idea of a judge exceeding that just because I don't like the guy it's applied to. And it isn't like there can't be a gag order placed that doesn't exceed that authority. He should absolutely be restricted - but the judge can't be allowed to exceed her authority, either, or it risks becoming standard practice.
I'm not for a moment suggesting special rules apply to Drumpf. I'm saying it's perfectly ok to tell people to shut up about *people* involved in the case. If he wants to talk about being railroaded by the system, have at it.

And let's not forget, the default is no gag order. He brought this down on himself. Repeatedly.

1. No gag order by default
2. limited gag order
3. more restrictive gag order

Plus contempt fines. They could just put him in a cell and take away his phone if he continues since fines aren't working. How's that for taking away someone's rights?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:31 pm Plus contempt fines. They could just put him in a cell and take away his phone if he continues since fines aren't working. How's that for taking away someone's rights?
Now, now. We can't go jailing former Presidents and certainly not former Presidents that are running for office in 2024. Much better to just let this play out without any formal tests to the legal system overall. I'm sure it will be fine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:45 pm
I disagree because of the special treatment speech gets because of the 1st amendment. It's why there are only 4 (I think) exceptions - true threats, defamation, incitement, and obscenity (which is basically only down to CSAM at this point). These groups are getting more narrowly defined, not broader. It's why speech laws continue to get struck down - can you even remember the last one that was upheld? Punish people after saying something - sure. But stopping someone from saying something is (justifiably) ridiculously hard.

She could make it really easy and say he's not allowed to issue true threats against any of the participants - but what's the point - that's already illegal. She could say he can't tamper with witnesses - but what's the point - that's already illegal. So what would any gag order accomplish that can't be accomplished through other, already established, means?
We all know that the reality of the situation is that any person who Trump speaks negatively about in social media is *going* to get threats from Trump's followers. So for one, this falls under incitement and probably under true threats as well. Second, the law you're referring to is primarily derived from laws restricting speech - this is a court exercising its jurisdiction to regulate a trial and a criminal defendant before it, a defendant subject to the judge's specific jurisdiction because he's been indicted. Judges have a ton of discretion in areas like this. Third, even outside of First Amendment exceptions, it's not that the government can't restrict speech, it's that it has to meet strict scrutiny to do so, and I think this is a pretty unusual and compelling set of facts.

And the reason that the gag order is needed is because all Trump has to do is tweet something like "Mark Meadows is a RINO!!!" and he'll put the Eye of Sauron on Meadows. You can't write a narrowly tailored gag order that limits his ability to talk about Mark Meadows by subject matter, because all that's needed is to express Trump's disfavor. And honestly, it's just not that unreasonable to tell him to STFU about specific people who are likely to be witnesses in his upcoming trial.

Are there first amendment issues? Sure. I wouldn't be shocked if the gag order were overturned on appeal. But I think it's absolutely defensible as a legal matter.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"I'm sure you've all SEEN the news. Just know that ANYONE speaking out against me is a TRAITOR or a RINO - maybe both! The 2020 was stollen - don't let it happen again in 2024!"
Free speech? Gag-order violation?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Free speech.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:15 pm
"I'm sure you've all SEEN the news. Just know that ANYONE speaking out against me is a TRAITOR or a RINO - maybe both! The 2020 was stollen - don't let it happen again in 2024!"
Hard to argue that that's "targeting" although you could argue that it's targeting all the potential witnesses.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:21 pm
Hard to argue that that's "targeting" although you could argue that it's targeting all the potential witnesses.
And about 95% of OO. It's a wide net, don't think it will pass as a violation.

Also:
Stollen is a fruit bread of nuts, spices, and dried or candied fruit, coated with powdered sugar or icing sugar and often containing marzipan. It is a traditional German Christmas bread.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:35 pm

Also:
Stollen is a fruit bread of nuts, spices, and dried or candied fruit, coated with powdered sugar or icing sugar and often containing marzipan. It is a traditional German Christmas bread.
Well, it's not crazy to think that's meant for witnesses against him at trial, not "everyone on the internet". But I don't think Jack Smith would want to press on that.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:10 pm

We all know that the reality of the situation is that any person who Trump speaks negatively about in social media is *going* to get threats from Trump's followers. So for one, this falls under incitement and probably under true threats as well. Second, the law you're referring to is primarily derived from laws restricting speech - this is a court exercising its jurisdiction to regulate a trial and a criminal defendant before it, a defendant subject to the judge's specific jurisdiction because he's been indicted. Judges have a ton of discretion in areas like this. Third, even outside of First Amendment exceptions, it's not that the government can't restrict speech, it's that it has to meet strict scrutiny to do so, and I think this is a pretty unusual and compelling set of facts.
Specifically that *Trump* knows this. Rather like Henry II - "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:48 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:35 pm

Also:
Well, it's not crazy to think that's meant for witnesses against him at trial, not "everyone on the internet". But I don't think Jack Smith would want to press on that.
Anyone was in all-caps. ALL-CAPS!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:10 pm

We all know that the reality of the situation is that any person who Trump speaks negatively about in social media is *going* to get threats from Trump's followers. So for one, this falls under incitement and probably under true threats as well.
I don't see how you could possibly argue this falls under the incitement exception.
Free Speech Center wrote:In Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969), the Court overturned the conviction of Clarence Brandenburg, a member of the Ku Klux Klan who had made inflammatory statements, by insisting that it would only punish advocacy that “is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.” Still, one might expect that, much as it did when it applied the gravity of the evil test, the Court would distinguish between the kinds of illegal actions advocated — that is, an incitement to walk on the grass would hardly seem to merit the same kind of attention as calls for bombings or assassinations. In Hess v. Indiana (1973), the Court applied Brandenburg and said that before an individual’s speech could fall under the unprotected category of incitement to imminent lawless action, the speech must lead to “imminent disorder.”
We may think something is going to happen, but there is no clear link to imminent disorder. Shoot, even the Jan 6th speech has a lot of questions around incitement and the link there was a lot clearer.

I also take issue that it was a true threat.
F.I.R.E. wrote:Requiring evidence that the speaker intended to threaten protects our national commitment to uninhibited debate and free expression. By contrast, the general-intent standard chills speech. Under a general-intent standard, speakers will have no choice but to limit their charged and vehement political expression due to the potential for prosecution — and conviction — because of the reaction of listeners. In the words of Justice Thurgood Marshall, “we should be particularly wary of adopting such a standard for . . . pure speech,” as doing so “would have substantial costs in discouraging the ‘uninhibited, robust, and wide-open’ debate that the First Amendment is intended to protect.”

Most federal circuit courts have nonetheless required only that a reasonable person, familiar with the circumstances, would find the statement threatening — the general-intent standard. But criminalizing the mere act of communication, regardless of the speaker’s intent to cause fear, is inconsistent with Watts and Black. It also fails to safeguard political hyperbole, attempts at humor, religious exhortations, and caustic commentary that are protected speech at the core of American politics and culture.

Requiring evidence that the speaker intended to threaten protects our national commitment to uninhibited debate and free expression. By contrast, the general-intent standard chills speech. Under a general-intent standard, speakers will have no choice but to limit their charged and vehement political expression due to the potential for prosecution — and conviction — because of the reaction of listeners. In the words of Justice Thurgood Marshall, “we should be particularly wary of adopting such a standard for . . . pure speech,” as doing so “would have substantial costs in discouraging the ‘uninhibited, robust, and wide-open’ debate that the First Amendment is intended to protect.”
If this is classified a true threat, then he'd never be able to speak.
Second, the law you're referring to is primarily derived from laws restricting speech - this is a court exercising its jurisdiction to regulate a trial and a criminal defendant before it, a defendant subject to the judge's specific jurisdiction because he's been indicted. Judges have a ton of discretion in areas like this. Third, even outside of First Amendment exceptions, it's not that the government can't restrict speech, it's that it has to meet strict scrutiny to do so, and I think this is a pretty unusual and compelling set of facts.

I concede there is specific jurisdiction, but that discretion isn't limitless - it centers around the orderly conduct of the trial. Why didn't the judge include themselves in the gag order? I contend doing so would have made it much harder to stand up to scrutiny under the 1st amendment. I think including the prosecutors might have been an over reach as well. And I don't see how this is an unusual trial if you consider all high profile trials as the population set. Why shouldn't he be able to leave the courtroom every day and say "I am innocent, the prosecution's case is a shame, everyone is lying, and the jury will vindicate me." That is not an unusual statement in high profile cases, but by your inferred intent standard, this is an attack on all the witnesses and instructions to the jury to nullify - which is why FIRE's proposition of requiring evidence of intent is much better in my eyes.
And the reason that the gag order is needed is because all Trump has to do is tweet something like "Mark Meadows is a RINO!!!" and he'll put the Eye of Sauron on Meadows. You can't write a narrowly tailored gag order that limits his ability to talk about Mark Meadows by subject matter, because all that's needed is to express Trump's disfavor. And honestly, it's just not that unreasonable to tell him to STFU about specific people who are likely to be witnesses in his upcoming trial.

You are using the normal people definition here for "unreasonable" that I don't believe is justified. Trying to control speech based on how we expect others to react to it at some undefined point in the future is just not something we should be trying to do.
Are there first amendment issues? Sure. I wouldn't be shocked if the gag order were overturned on appeal. But I think it's absolutely defensible as a legal matter.
I assume defensible here is equivalent to arguable, and I'll give you that. But I don't think it's a good argument.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:42 pm
Second, the law you're referring to is primarily derived from laws restricting speech - this is a court exercising its jurisdiction to regulate a trial and a criminal defendant before it, a defendant subject to the judge's specific jurisdiction because he's been indicted. Judges have a ton of discretion in areas like this. Third, even outside of First Amendment exceptions, it's not that the government can't restrict speech, it's that it has to meet strict scrutiny to do so, and I think this is a pretty unusual and compelling set of facts.

I concede there is specific jurisdiction, but that discretion isn't limitless - it centers around the orderly conduct of the trial. Why didn't the judge include themselves in the gag order? I contend doing so would have made it much harder to stand up to scrutiny under the 1st amendment. I think including the prosecutors might have been an over reach as well. And I don't see how this is an unusual trial if you consider all high profile trials as the population set. Why shouldn't he be able to leave the courtroom every day and say "I am innocent, the prosecution's case is a shame, everyone is lying, and the jury will vindicate me." That is not an unusual statement in high profile cases, but by your inferred intent standard, this is an attack on all the witnesses and instructions to the jury to nullify - which is why FIRE's proposition of requiring evidence of intent is much better in my eyes.
I don't understand your question about why the judge didn't include themselves. I mean, the obvious answer is because the judge isn't posting about witnesses on the internet, nor plans to. Also true of the prosecution.

And Trump can leave the court and say what you suggest. I did say that it's not crazy to think that Trump's "anyone who speaks against me is a traitor" language in the background of all of this was meant to be a general threat against potential witnesses, but like I said that would be really pressing the limits of 'targeting' and I don't think Jack Smith would argue otherwise and I don't think a judge would apply the gag order to that.

All I'm saying is that we know that Trump talking about individuals negatively brings the wrath of his followers down on them, and we don't have to pretend otherwise. And that fact has significant implications for how we read Trump's statements and the court's ability to restrict them.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:42 pm Why didn't the judge include themselves in the gag order? I contend doing so would have made it much harder to stand up to scrutiny under the 1st amendment.
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:18 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:42 pm

I don't understand your question about why the judge didn't include themselves. I mean, the obvious answer is because the judge isn't posting about witnesses on the internet, nor plans to. Also true of the prosecution.

And Trump can leave the court and say what you suggest. I did say that it's not crazy to think that Trump's "anyone who speaks against me is a traitor" language in the background of all of this was meant to be a general threat against potential witnesses, but like I said that would be really pressing the limits of 'targeting' and I don't think Jack Smith would argue otherwise and I don't think a judge would apply the gag order to that.

All I'm saying is that we know that Trump talking about individuals negatively brings the wrath of his followers down on them, and we don't have to pretend otherwise. And that fact has significant implications for how we read Trump's statements and the court's ability to restrict them.
He was asking "Why didn't the judge include himself?" -- but as a 'target of the social media posts', not as a 'poster of the social media posts'. He limited it to his staff. Maybe I'm wrong about stessier's meaning, but that's what I took from it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Prominent legal youtube channel LegalEagle has weighed in, if anyone cares to watch it. He mostly says everything we've been saying here in this thread, from both sides of the issue, and concludes we'll have to wait and see. So not very useful but coming from someone with at least some legal background.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Something about that Youtube title-image made me think of this movie scene.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I live to see 100, I will now never be able to get the image of a ball-gagged Trump out of my brain. Thanks, internet.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And we are pretty fucking far from okay.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I honestly have no clue what the message is there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The quick and dirty is that Chukan in DC is moving the DC case to trial in March. Cannon is issuing orders that look fairly biased and constantly side with Trump's team. Many observers have noted she doesn't seem to understand the law and also has very poor trial management skills.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, it's a thread. I didn't see that, and thought the info was buried in the two linked legal documents that I would have to spend hour googling to read (one of which is locked behind a login.) But I even with the thread I wouldn't have caught the significance, as I don't really know the norms.

It's almost like this place is infested with lawyers!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh. It looks like Meadows' lies are going to cost him...

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... on-claims/

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:11 am Heh. It looks like Meadows' lies are going to cost him...

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... on-claims/

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
The publisher of Mark Meadows’s book is suing the former White House chief of staff, arguing in court filings Friday morning that he violated an agreement with All Seasons Press by including false statements about former President Trump’s claims surrounding the 2020 election.

“Meadows, the former White House Chief of Staff under President Donald J. Trump, promised and represented that ‘all statements contained in the Work are true and based on reasonable research for accuracy’ and that he ‘has not made any misrepresentations to the Publisher about the Work,’” the publishing company writes in its suit, filed in court in Sarasota County, Fla.

“Meadows breached those warranties causing ASP to suffer significant monetary and reputational damage when the media widely reported … that he warned President Trump against claiming that election fraud corrupted the electoral votes cast in the 2020 Presidential Election and that neither he nor former President Trump actually believed such claims.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I LOVE that. Even if it results in nothing, I love the heat and repercussions from his treasonous, poor choices.

And yes, that probably makes me partly evil as a result.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As a side note, following along with complex legal proceedings in a forum that is 73% attorneys is both educational and confusing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Confusicational.
It's almost as if people are the problem.