2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:16 pm I had a Popeye's chicken sandwich once and was greatly disappointed. Later I read that the pleasure is in their sauces, of which I didn't ask for any. :oops:
The sauces at Popeyes won't do anything to help the chicken sandwich if you didn't like it the first time.
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Reminds me I want to get some on sale fried chicken from Publix deli. Nobody locally seems able to beat it in the new normal.
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

RE: Tim Hortons, I just tried the coffee (original roast) while in the U.S and I can indeed say it is better than the Canadian version of that coffee. I find that hard to say for some reason. But years ago, Tim Hortons had lost their supplier contract to McDonalds just around the time McDonald's was revamping their coffee. I guess the U.S has a different supplier for their coffee.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm in the mood for a tuna casserole. Unfortunately because of the treatments I can't eat anything.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't had tuna casserole since my best friends sister made it for us around 1984 and I love it. I might have had it since then but that one is the last time I remember. Might need to make one. I just have this naggin fear of heated tuna after all my food poisonings.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What's the crispy things on top of a tuna casserole?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think its usually crumbled Ritz crackers.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 pm What's the crispy things on top of a tuna casserole?
Crushed potato chips? I think that's what I had at a potluck once, I've never actually made tuna casserole.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:49 pm I think its usually crumbled Ritz crackers.
Those are great on mac-n-cheese. For tunanuda casserole I prefer lightly buttered bread crumbs.

Casseroles (baking in general) are a winter thing, and I usually make tunanuda at least once each winter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well this is something I plan to make when I get my EBT. Ive seen recipes with no cheese, shredded cheddar, or like 7 slices of american. Im thinking the shredded would be the best route. Its been since the 80s and I dont remember if cheese was in it or not.

What is tunanuda? I see no google search that returns it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:19 am

That's one of the dishes served on Brian's clothing optional cruise. :lol:

I think a box of Tuna Helper is going to save you money instead of using sliced or shredded cheese. Several varieties offered. Tuna not included.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:19 am Well this is something I plan to make when I get my EBT. Ive seen recipes with no cheese, shredded cheddar, or like 7 slices of american. Im thinking the shredded would be the best route. Its been since the 80s and I dont remember if cheese was in it or not.

:lol: "Tunanuda" is how I say "tuna noodle." It is my very own word that I made up and which is mine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:26 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:19 am

That's one of the dishes served on Brian's clothing optional cruise. :lol:

I think a box of Tuna Helper is going to save you money instead of using sliced or shredded cheese. Several varieties offered. Tuna not included.
Actually live on the Helper boxes a lot but have never ever tried tuna helper.

And isn't tuna noodle the same as tuna casserole? Ill have to look that up.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive found my new favorite marinara. And its fro ma brand I never though would make a product I liked..Prego.

Its called Prego Farmers Market Classic marinara. And I LOVE it. Only had it on speghetti so far but would be great on a soft pretzel or bread stix or about anything I guess.

Ive tried lots of marinara from cheap like Prego and Ragu to middle of the road like Newmans Own and Barilla. Ive even tried that expensive RAU.

Nothing as good as this Prego.

Enlarge Image

Now if only I could find more Coca Cola Ultimate. that was so good.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm fond of this one, but it's expensive. I'll try the Prego Farmer's next time.

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

I really like the Pizza Hut Meat Lover Melts. I think it's the fact that the melt is crunchy and so dippable. Yummy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like how that one kraken list the ingredients as fresh this fresh that. I guess no one puts spoiled this or rotten that in stuff much lol. Sounds good.Shame its expensive.

Pizza Hut Meat Lover Melts
Those look good. Are they soft? And how much?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I always re-season red pasta sauce myself anyway, so I get whatever is cheapest. Aldi or Meijer still to $1 jars store brand often enough and those end up cheaper than buying the larger jars.

I'd like to start buying jars of pizza sauce so make my own pizzas but at my calorie limit a jar/can goes bad before I use it and I'm not willing to spend $2 to throw away half the contents. :o Costco and BJs had pizza kits that included prepacked pizza sauces for each crust at about $2 a crust and that was great for me but then my Costco membership expired and BJs stop carrying them. I could make my own chicken mediterranean pizza at under 1700 calories for about $4 a pop x4. :(
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:31 pm
They are crunchy (although they get softer the longer they sit) - the shell is coated in butter and parmesan. Around here they are $6.99 and one is a very healthy meal, imo.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:54 pm healthy
:snooty:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just order my weekly food allotment. This time instead of buying crappy healthy food I decided to but all sugary fat crap. I really haven't ate much in the last week and decided for something good for a change. I've lost 31 ibs in the last two weeks.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:19 pm I've lost 31 ibs in the last two weeks.
:shock: Man, I hope you start holding stuff down. Yeah, at this point carbs carbs and more carbs. Simple sugars, good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:54 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:31 pm
They are crunchy (although they get softer the longer they sit) - the shell is coated in butter and parmesan. Around here they are $6.99 and one is a very healthy meal, imo.
Thanks!

On pasta sauces.....the food banks give me some really crappy canned stuff all the time. its bad. But I sorta fix it by added sauteed onions, diced tomatoes, and soem seasonings to it as I boil it. then when I top my pasta with it i add grated 4 cheese to it. Ends up really good.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:50 pm I always re-season red pasta sauce myself anyway, so I get whatever is cheapest. Aldi or Meijer still to $1 jars store brand often enough and those end up cheaper than buying the larger jars.

I'd like to start buying jars of pizza sauce so make my own pizzas but at my calorie limit a jar/can goes bad before I use it and I'm not willing to spend $2 to throw away half the contents. :o Costco and BJs had pizza kits that included prepacked pizza sauces for each crust at about $2 a crust and that was great for me but then my Costco membership expired and BJs stop carrying them. I could make my own chicken mediterranean pizza at under 1700 calories for about $4 a pop x4. :(
During pizza season (Nov.-April) I make pizza every Saturday night. One pizza uses 1 cup (8 oz) of sauce. My favorite sauce comes in 16- or 32-oz jars. So a 32-oz jar lasts me a month.

During tomato season (right now), I use a jar of cheap marinara sauce as a base for homegrown spaghetti sauce. Add 20-25 peeled, seeded tomatoes; fresh basil and oregano; a bell pepper or two; and onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, a tablespoon of sugar, etc. The jarred sauce ties it all together nicely.

Nice thing about tomato sauces is they're so acidic that they last a long time in the fridge or freezer.
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:09 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:54 pm healthy
:snooty:
As in "large and satisfying". :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Crap. I forgot to get fruit juices. Maybe a visit to the store tomorrow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:24 pm Crap. I forgot to get fruit juices. Maybe a visit to the store tomorrow.
Asian stores sell vegetable juices too (not just V8, think broccoli juice).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:49 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:24 pm Crap. I forgot to get fruit juices. Maybe a visit to the store tomorrow.
Gonna guess Hogeye doesn't have many Asian stores.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have never been in an asian or mexican supermart. I dont know of an asian one but theres tons of mexican ones here. I really want to go. Ive always worried id rmbarrass myself from not speaking or reading the language that mostly covers that type store and also not knowing what half the stuff is. But the veggies and drinks ive seen look very very good and i want some fresh stuff from them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:03 pm
You can order online probably. There was a Phil-Am store in New Jersey that would ship everywhere.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

But I want sugary fruit juices that taste good and are bad for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:11 pm I have never been in an asian or mexican supermart. I dont know of an asian one but theres tons of mexican ones here. I really want to go. Ive always worried id rmbarrass myself from not speaking or reading the language that mostly covers that type store and also not knowing what half the stuff is. But the veggies and drinks ive seen look very very good and i want some fresh stuff from them.
Yeah, just go for it man. You may feel uncomfortable but you won't be looked down upon. It's a generalization, but I think a lot of people love sharing their culture with outsiders. (And it makes you consider how outsiders to our culture must feel all the time!) It can be fun just to browse all the products you've never seen before. But if you're concerned, just research some things beforehand that you might want to pick up. Or just grab an interesting Mexican soda if you don't want to leave empty-handed.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:17 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:03 pm
You can order online probably. There was a Phil-Am store in New Jersey that would ship everywhere.
I'd drink veggie juices if they were more reasonably priced. Walmart had a Great Value green juice carton that was reasonable around the price of OJ, but that was in the before times. Asian markets don't have better prices on veggie juice do they?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hear on high priced veggie juice. I really love regular V8 juice. Another thing I hated as a child but now love. But i cant justify the prices. Walmart has it at a bit over $5 for 6 cans or 8 small cans. I sure miss it but thats just not happening for me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If he's going on Oxy and he's losing weight the fruit juices would be better than veggie juices, no? Sacrifice the variety of vitamins for C, anti oxidants, calories, short term energy, and a more active colon.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:17 am
If he's going on Oxy and he's losing weight the fruit juices would be better than veggie juices, no? Sacrifice the variety of vitamins for C, anti oxidants, calories, short term energy, and a more active colon.
Some ginger might help his tummy too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If its long term then keep a enema handy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My two cents on spaghetti sauce. Mids meat sauce.

I grew up on this stuff back in Ohio. They're out of Navarre, Ohio. I was thrilled to death when a few years ago, they started distributing to the larger grocery chains outside Ohio.

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I just get cans of diced tomatoes and cans of tomato sauce (boxes of 12 at Costco) to mix my own marinara sauce. I got tired of every time I'd want to make pasta, I'd discover that either we don't have any sauce, or whatever we have has molded. I never really have fresh tomatoes on hand but this way I always have the ingredients to mix my own sauce. Take one can of diced tomatoes and one can of sauce, dump into a blender with some minced garlic, blend it up. Dump it all into a pot, and then just add a ton of different spices and leave on low heat for 20-30 minutes for the flavors to absorb.