THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 pm Fuck ICE. Shut. It. Down.

If you were a professor and this post got exposed you could be in a lot of trouble (long thread and link to an article about the right coming after free speech at colleges).

https://twitter.com/glukianoff/status/1 ... 4830573569
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 pm Fuck ICE. Shut. It. Down.

I don't want to say it's ever right to start a Holy War, but when you willfully ignore fundamental aspects of someone's religion and force them to break their faith, you kind of deserve what happens afterwards. There's no excuse for refusing to respect someone's faith like that. None. It should be considered a war crime.

And that's coming from an atheist.

In other ICE news, NPR was running a story this morning about them using a "Shadow Immigration System" - private contractors to basically abduct children seeking asylum, hold them prisoner for days or weeks, and then deport them with no due process.

We need more than immigration reform. We need to fully disband ICE and replace them with social workers - people who give a shit about human lives on a fundamental level and won't treat the foundation of our nation as human garbage. Keep your border patrol to sniff out drugs and human traffickers ... but anytime you have someone coming here for help, you do them right and treat them with kindness.
YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:21 pm
msduncan wrote:So while it’s nice to think they are “accepting” and “open”, the reality is that they are militant and close minded if you don’t agree with them.
I've seen this pop up as a talking point many times when discussion of bigotry comes up. In fact, the last time I heard it used as an excuse was during the Chick-Fil-A boycotts. And essentially the idea is that if you don't agree with a bigot, then YOU are the one who is intolerant.

It's a false equivalency being used to justify bigotry. And it's bullshit.
If I'm not mistaken, when I quoted msduncan, he would have been notified and had a way to quickly jump to it and respond. Given the lack of an alternative answer and his absent response, I worry that it's a relatively safe assumption that what was suggested was his intent. If I'm not mistaken, he's a hardcore Trumper (when Trump became impossible to rationally defend, I think he bowed out of R&P).

I hope I'm wrong. A thread about inclusive attitudes and positiveness is no place to complain that haters are being hated. I welcome an alternative and will happily erase this if I'm wrong.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I won't begin to interpret msduncan be he swore off R&P a long time ago. I would not expect a response.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:22 am I won't begin to interpret msduncan be he swore off R&P a long time ago. I would not expect a response.
Hey, cut the man some slack. He had to endure eight years of Obama only to discover the new guy is the black man's best friend.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah just to clarify I wasn't picking on msduncan directly, but just talking about that specific argument. I see it a lot among FB friends, so I'm very familiar with the "you're intolerant if you don't tolerate my prejudices" mentality. I was not very active in that thread and did not see any of the other context, so I don't want to assume his intent.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

To be clear, let's not pick on msd here. He purposely doesn't post in R&P these days. It's fine of course to discuss the concepts he raised, but unless he wants to weigh in on it further, let's do it in a theoretical manner (i.e., without reference to what we think msd may or may not believe).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Agreed. This isn't about MSD, it's about YK's topic:
And essentially the idea is that if you don't agree with a bigot, then YOU are the one who is intolerant.

It's a false equivalency being used to justify bigotry.
Which may or may not have anything to do with what MSD thinks.

Re: the topic, personally I think it often comes from the idea that bigotry is just an opinion, not unlike stance on federal taxation or choice of sports teams. Where you can say someone is wrong in their particular opinion but not wrong in having it.

Bigotry is not like that, of course, but some people treat it as such and thus not listening or being inclusive of bigoted opinions is deemed "closed minded."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:11 am To be clear, let's not pick on msd here. He purposely doesn't post in R&P these days. It's fine of course to discuss the concepts he raised, but unless he wants to weigh in on it further, let's do it in a theoretical manner (i.e., without reference to what we think msd may or may not believe).
That's what I poorly tried to communicate as a suggestion. Sorry for muddying rather than clarifying.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Nah, your response was fine. As I've noted elsewhere today, however, the whole world revolves around me so I wanted to make an "official" statement about it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 am Re: the topic, personally I think it often comes from the idea that bigotry is just an opinion, not unlike stance on federal taxation or choice of sports teams. Where you can say someone is wrong in their particular opinion but not wrong in having it.

Bigotry is not like that, of course, but some people treat it as such and thus not listening or being inclusive of bigoted opinions is deemed "closed minded."
I want to say it was Defiant who first gave a name to something that has long since bothered and I want to say he called it the paradox of intolerance.

... Nope. Searching says it was Fed

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... e#p1578493

My how things have changed in 10 years (Edit for clean up)
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:36 pm I find that people who are tolerant of everyone cope with tolerance by withdrawing, which is a popular conservative motive. Have your life. I'll be over here away from you. I find the popular way liberals do their thing is not to become tolerant but rather to become accepting and immerse themselves in differences.
I no longer find this to be the case.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:48 am My how things have changed in 10 years (Edit for clean up)
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:36 pm I find that people who are tolerant of everyone cope with tolerance by withdrawing, which is a popular conservative motive. Have your life. I'll be over here away from you. I find the popular way liberals do their thing is not to become tolerant but rather to become accepting and immerse themselves in differences.
I no longer find this to be the case.
Which part? I know my read, but am often surprised by yours so I don't want to assume.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

a popular conservative motive. Have your life. I'll be over here away from you.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Farmers in Maine should start forwarding their unopened USPS mail to Collins.

Back in 2005 she was a big part of a bill that laid the groundwork to create the disaster they have now.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yesterday I saw a guy take a shit and put it in a mailbox. I am not kidding.

He was clearly completely wasted on some sort of drugs and probably had severe mental health issues but over the course of an hour or so we sat and watched him melt down, take his clothes off, put them back on, shoo away ambulance, throw his shoes, and then proceed to take a shit and stuff it in one of those blue USPS mailboxes.

For whatever it's worth. And no, it wasn't Trump.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Yesterday I saw a guy take a shit and put it in a mailbox. I shit you not.

He was clearly completely shitfaced on some sort of drugs and probably had severe mental health issues but over the course of an hour or so we sat shooting the shit and watched him lose his shit, take his clothes off, put them back on, shoo away ambulance, throw his shoes, and then proceed to take a shit and stuff it in one of those blue USPS mailboxes.

Not bullshit. And no, it wasn't Trump.
FTFY

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:56 am Yesterday I saw a guy take a shit and put it in a mailbox. I am not kidding.

He was clearly completely wasted on some sort of drugs and probably had severe mental health issues but over the course of an hour or so we sat and watched him melt down, take his clothes off, put them back on, shoo away ambulance, throw his shoes, and then proceed to take a shit and stuff it in one of those blue USPS mailboxes.

Was it DeJoy?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:56 am Yesterday I saw a guy take a shit and put it in a mailbox. I am not kidding.

Was it DeJoy?
Or at least addressed to him?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

On another episode of 'Republicans sneer at the people who support them'...they still somehow will get their vote...

Spoiler:
Sen. Rand Paul takes the *brave* position of telling people who "live down dirt roads" they should get their mail two days a week. Rural Kentuckians will be angry to hear that! #SaveThePostOffice
Holman

Post by Holman »

Claudia Conway, 15-year-old daughter of George and Kellyanne Conway, is asking to be emancipated from them. While she has publicly criticized Trump and even her mother, the reason she gives is not politics but "years of childhood trauma and abuse."

What an f'ed up situation. What is with this family?

Most people suspect a grift in any move the Conways make. I guess the question is whether this is a response to that or a part of it.

Kellyanne Conway is leaving the White House next week, and has apparently pulled out of her RNC convention speaking slot. George Conway is also stepping away from the Lincoln Project.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:Claudia Conway, 15-year-old daughter of George and Kellyanne Conway, is asking to be emancipated from them. While she has publicly criticized Trump and even her mother, the reason she gives is not politics but "years of childhood trauma and abuse."

What an f'ed up situation. What is with this family?

Most people suspect a grift in any move the Conways make. I guess the question is whether this is a response to that or a part of it.

Kellyanne Conway is leaving the White House next week, and has apparently pulled out of her RNC convention speaking slot. George Conway is also stepping away from the Lincoln Project.
Yikes if their daughter is asking to be emancipated I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and their withdrawal from the spotlight is really due to wanting to focus on the family.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The daughter strikes me as a typical teenager in this day and age: social media has made her a bit of an attention seeker. I suspect much of what she says is overblown in pursuit of that. However, I do believe that there's tension in that household over their political differences...differences that even 4 years ago wouldn't have mattered all that much. But in today's environment, I could see the parents telling themselves, "You know, we're not setting a good example for our children with all this". So I say good for them for being responsible parents and putting their kids first.

Of course, this is all supposition based on nothing other than a personal gut feeling.

I still think Kelly Anne needs to do some serious soul searching though. She's been caught in way too many lies for this administration.
Now depoliticized.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am The daughter strikes me as a typical teenager in this day and age: social media has made her a bit of an attention seeker. I suspect much of what she says is overblown in pursuit of that. However, I do believe that there's tension in that household over their political differences...differences that even 4 years ago wouldn't have mattered all that much. But in today's environment, I could see the parents telling themselves, "You know, we're not setting a good example for our children with all this". So I say good for them for being responsible parents and putting their kids first.
This whole thing is a snapshot of the craziness in the social media sphere. You had major reporters and political pundits following a 15-year old and commenting on the situation. Which is nuts.
I still think Kelly Anne needs to do some serious soul searching though. She's been caught in way too many lies for this administration.
As Walter Shaub kept hammering home -- to his discredit since he went too far last night IMO -- she personally took the Hatch Act out back at the WH and shot it dead. She went on tv and lied and spun for a monster. She has a lot to answer for but as he kept ranting about she'll get paid out by the market. Our politics reward bad behavior.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good for the daughter. But after seeing her pic she doesn't look any brighter than her mom .Same weird fake skin color....fat filled lips....just a strange gen Z...which seems then she is a normal Gen z. Im glad her mom wont be helping Trumpy..hope it hurts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:46 am Good for the daughter. But after seeing her pic she doesn't look any brighter than her mom .Same weird fake skin color....fat filled lips....just a strange gen Z...which seems then she is a normal Gen z. Im glad her mom wont be helping Trumpy..hope it hurts.
She's 15 dude. Let her be a kid without dragging her into this shit show of a political world, or judging her based on looks.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to take the position that both parental Conways are gifters and having made enough money off the current President (by playing both sides), they're getting out while they still can. I'm also cynical enough that I wouldn't be surprised to learn their daughter is in on it, providing them cover to say "we're taking time off to focus on family". This way, they can all safety disappear into the background while America descends into chaos, as we inch closer to election day.

If that's not the case and their daughter really is acting out, I hope she gets the support she needs. But for her parents? My position is unchanged. They're parasites.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am The daughter strikes me as a typical teenager in this day and age: social media has made her a bit of an attention seeker. I suspect much of what she says is overblown in pursuit of that. However, I do believe that there's tension in that household over their political differences...differences that even 4 years ago wouldn't have mattered all that much. But in today's environment, I could see the parents telling themselves, "You know, we're not setting a good example for our children with all this". So I say good for them for being responsible parents and putting their kids first.
I hope that's the case, and that they're taking the time to reflect and heal as a family.

Given their collective track record, however, the cynic in my thinks that they're realizing the gravy train is likely coming to an end on the Trump grift, so they're holing up while looking for the next target.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:46 am Good for the daughter. But after seeing her pic she doesn't look any brighter than her mom .Same weird fake skin color....fat filled lips....just a strange gen Z...which seems then she is a normal Gen z. Im glad her mom wont be helping Trumpy..hope it hurts.
She's 15 dude. Let her be a kid without dragging her into this shit show of a political world, or judging her based on looks.
Do you really get that privilege when you chase the "influencer" title and post every intimate detail on Tik Tok, Instagram, Twitter and whereever else?

She dragged herself into the political shitshow and has her professionally managed looks out there of her own volition.

That is not to say she doesn't get a mulligan or two if she wants but it's not completely out of order to take her to task while she's making herself a public figure.

Yes, she's only 15 so some allowances should made. But not a free pass.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And she is 15..a kid. She should not even be allowed to get that kind of plastic surgery shit done. Look how its made her mom look. Kids are giving too much freedom. Parents ignore them and hand them a phone to live on.

Im still glad she wants away from her mamma.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:17 pm
That is not to say she doesn't get a mulligan or two if she wants but it's not completely out of order to take her to task while she's making herself a public figure.

Yes, she's only 15 so some allowances should made. But not a free pass.
I think Hepcat and I are both mostly just reacting to this:
after seeing her pic she doesn't look any brighter than her mom .Same weird fake skin color....fat filled lips...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yup
Now depoliticized.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Even ticks drop off a host once it dies.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump is no Thomas Becket.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Former chairman of the Republican National Committee Michael Steele is joining the Lincoln Project, a group of Republicans working to prevent President Donald Trump's re-election.

"Today is the day where things should matter and you need to take stock of what matters to you -- and the kind of leader you want to lead in these moments. And for me, it ain't him," Steele, a political analyst for MSNBC said making the announcement to host Nicole Wallace on Monday afternoon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:21 pm And she is 15..a kid. She should not even be allowed to get that kind of plastic surgery shit done. Look how its made her mom look. Kids are giving too much freedom. Parents ignore them and hand them a phone to live on.

Im still glad she wants away from her mamma.
Do you have any evidence she has had plastic surgery, or are you just rumor-mongering at the expense of a teenager?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I saw an article on line that basically said that if you can't pronounce Kamala Harris' name correctly you're a racist.
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's "har-REES", right?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yep. Kay-meller Ha-REES.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

dbt1949 wrote:I saw an article on line that basically said that if you can't pronounce Kamala Harris' name correctly you're a racist.
Obviously that's going too far on its surface, but we have seen folks like Tucker Carlson seemingly intentionally get her name wrong over and over when he knew better, and *that* I think is racist, sexist, or both. It's just a sign of disrespect to knowingly mispronounce someone's name over and over when you've been corrected. And there's an underlying subtle "your name is so ethnic to me I can't pronounce it" vibe which is disparaging.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You have a good point. I know I tend to pronounce our president's name as T-Rump.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949