2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Is the debt from him borrowing money to purchase Twitter? Did he count that as Twitter's debt?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sure, this should totally help:
Elon Musk said on Sunday he was looking to change Twitter's logo, tweeting: "And soon we shall bid adieu to the twitter brand and, gradually, all the birds". In a post on the site at 12:06 a.m. ET (0406 GMT), the social media platform's billionaire owner added: "If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we'll make (it) go live worldwide tomorrow." Musk posted an image of a flickering "X", and later in a Twitter Spaces audio chat replied "Yes" when asked if the Twitter logo will change, adding that "it should have been done a long time ago".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah. Hilarious.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wouldn't be surprised if he changed it to a silhouette of himself, because Ego. Chief Twithead.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In short, I'm looking for the world to provide me with free work so I can descend from my mountain and write an exploitative contract for all the rights and let the poor, unrepresented artist feel a drip of trickle-down from my unwashed fingertips.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:15 pm In short, I'm looking for the world to provide me with free work so I can descend from my mountain and write an exploitative contract for all the rights and let the poor, unrepresented artist feel a drip of trickle-down from my unwashed fingertips.
I want Twitter to be the public square and nothing says it's the public square by making sure it is branded as daElond truMupsk.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:15 pm In short, I'm looking for the world to provide me with free work so I can descend from my mountain and write an exploitative contract for all the rights and let the poor, unrepresented artist feel a drip of trickle-down from my unwashed fingertips.
Like a self-professesed Messiah.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lolz.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

How can one make trademarks based on a letter anyway?

And I'm convinced that Linda character is an AI that Musk is speaking through.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's a shame that X has been a thing since 1984. Perhaps they'll submit their logo. Or a cease-and-desist letter of some sort.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

oooohhh AI. She's convinced me. Would that be xAI? Musk's vision for a safer AI? His vision stopping all AI research until he can catch up? Like his vision for a better Twitter? His vision on poaching employees that he fired? Or the way he failed to poach them from Boston Dynamics?

I suppose she should be grateful Elon gave her permission to say something, being the CEO and all.

BTW since when is the public square centered on banking and AI?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:14 pm It's a shame that X has been a thing since 1984. Perhaps they'll submit their logo. Or a cease-and-desist letter of some sort.

Enlarge Image
If not them, hopefully DMX.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:51 pm Lolz.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

*chef's kiss*
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And I thought Max was dull and generic.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:40 pm And I thought Max was dull and generic.
Well, you're not wrong. :coffee:
Spoiler:
Yes, I know you're talking about the former HBO Max. Hopefully. But either way...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

First off the new logo is...really bad. But this story he is spinning? It's batshit. "Half of the global financial system". Ok. "Everything real-time". Drug cartels, terrorists, billionaires, and ransomware gangs rejoice!

Holman

Post by Holman »

If they're going to "Tweets" to something X-branded, I suggest "Xpressions."

On X you xpress your xpressions. You know, like a zit or an anal gland.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I figured out what's so annoying about the new "X" logo at the top of the Twitter menu bar: it's antagonistic to every other visual element of the interface.

The "X" is all sharp angles, like a blade. Every other visual element in Twitter (all the buttons and icons) is rounded, without a single right-angle to be seen anywhere. They rolled out a redesign of the principal icon that just doesn't fit.

Presumably they'll rejigger all the other buttons to match the sharp stark X, at which point the whole thing will just look fascist.
Last edited by Holman on Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:51 am Presumably they'll rejigger all the other buttons to match the sharp stark X, at which point the whole thing will just look fascist.
Feature?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Imagine having one of the most recognized brands in the world and changing it to X basically overnight.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:25 am Imagine having one of the most recognized brands in the world and changing it to X basically overnight.
I keep thinking he's trying to win a bet somehow because that would make more sense than anything he's done in the last 9+ months.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:05 pm And I'm convinced that Linda character is an AI that Musk is speaking through.
That would be hilarious.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:25 am Imagine having one of the most recognized brands in the world and changing it to X basically overnight.
It's the social media edition of HBO Max --> Max.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My thought exactly.

And X is so f**king stupid. And then black? It's like a 12 year old rolling up his first edgelord character.

Honestly, if this is his creative vision, he needs an eye exam.

This is the trolley problem all over again.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:30 am
Closer to HBO Max --> Q.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:35 am
I keep thinking he's trying to win a bet somehow because that would make more sense than anything he's done in the last 9+ months.
Elon's Billions.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:32 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:30 am
Closer to HBO Max --> Q.
On a character basis, sure. From the perspective of trashing a well-known brand in favor of something meaningless, it works.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I know I come off as an apologist for the Max name change, but at least there's some logic behind that move beyond "Elon loves the letter X!" You may not agree with the logic, but there was more thought than just a bong rip.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everyone: No one is talking about Twitter anymore. Everyone is now discussing all the other potential social media options.
Musk: I have a great idea
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Zaxxon wrote:
That was also dumb, but I think this is way worse.

Even the execution is worse. At least with Max they said they were going to do it, advertised the hell out of it, then actually made the change.

This was done on short notice and has been rolled out in stages making it as confusing as possible.

It’s stupid, but I’m mourning the end of an era a bit. I don’t use the app on a regular basis anymore, and was a sporadic user at best in the before times, but there’s no going back at this point.

Once the app updated I’ll be removing it from my phone and have to decide if I erase my profile or not.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:35 am I know I come off as an apologist for the Max name change, but at least there's some logic behind that move beyond "Elon loves the letter X!" You may not agree with the logic, but there was more thought than just a bong rip.
To be fair he wanted to use “Z” but that was taken, and would be too on the nose even for him.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:46 am Everyone: No one is talking about Twitter anymore. Everyone is now discussing all the other potential social media options.
For once I will defend him! His vision long predates this past month/couple of months/purchase of Twitter. This vision likely goes back to Paypal and he has Apple envy and thinks he is entitled to their pie. That's been evident for... ever? nearly so. It's only since Twitter that it became evident wants private control of your banking, your speech, and your business communications while calling it public.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:11 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:46 am Everyone: No one is talking about Twitter anymore. Everyone is now discussing all the other potential social media options.
For once I will defend him! His vision long predates this past month/couple of months/purchase of Twitter. This vision likely goes back to Paypal and he has Apple envy and thinks he is entitled to their pie. That's been evident for... ever? nearly so. It's only since Twitter that it became evident wants private control of your banking, your speech, and your business communications while calling it public.
I mean, he wanted to rename Paypal to X.com way back in the day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:13 pm I mean, he wanted to rename Paypal to X.com way back in the day.
Which was also a terrible idea. I get that he's obsessed with the letter X but this rebranding is random and arbitrary.

I legitimately hope future business scholars will use him as the textbook example of failing up.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The best take I've seen on the rebranding is that they've changed their logo to that thing you click on to close your browser. Such meta, very wow.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:33 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:35 am
Elon's Billions.
:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:08 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:35 am I know I come off as an apologist for the Max name change, but at least there's some logic behind that move beyond "Elon loves the letter X!" You may not agree with the logic, but there was more thought than just a bong rip.
To be fair he wanted to use “Z” but that was taken, and would be too on the nose even for him.
By Zorro?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter