Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath impressions

Post by rrmorton »

I'm picking this up later today.

Then I'll play it.

Then I'll post impressions.

WHO'S WITH ME?!
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

It's good but Mercenaries is similar and much better, IMO. No fault of Oddworld, Mercs is just one of those games.
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

It intrigues me...I could get quite a bit of credit for RE4 towards it....hmmmmmmm...
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Orpheo wrote:It's good but Mercenaries is similar and much better, IMO. No fault of Oddworld, Mercs is just one of those games.
THIS AIN'T NO EITHER/OR PROPOSITION!

I GOT BOFE!
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Just got past the tutorial and man, I am incredibly impressed. Everything is fantastic so far!
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Yeah, I also like it a lot.

I played the tutorial plus the first level where you have to rescue a wagon train.

It took me a while to figure out when I should switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd person, but now I have a good handle on it. The first person game plays a lot like Halo, especially with the whole "shaking off wounds" thing. (You can hit the Y button at any time to replenish your health by using up stamina, which regenerates pretty fast when you're at rest.) In third person mode, you have melee combat moves, fast running, and you can suck-up the enemies you've knocked-out (thus earning a higher bounty than if they're dead.)

I like how you always have a choice of how to approach a group of enemies. You can use stealth by hiding in the tall reeds, you can shoot from a distance, or you can run in close and headbutt them. Lots of different strategies, and even more when you factor in the wide variety of ammo types and their different uses. Speaking of ammo, the animations are quite funny, especially the Chippunk. (He actually talks to you.)

I've always enjoyed the art and production design of the Oddworld games and this is no exception. They do a great job providing their unique spin on the western theme. I loved wandering around town listening to the trucker-hat-wearing chicken-folk converse with one another. Funny stuff.

As for ammo collecting, it's not too annoying since shooting and collecting one varmint usually translates to 5 ammo units of that critter type. It doesn't take long at all to stock up.

One negative is that I'm not too fond of the D-pad interface for swapping ammo in your double barrelled shotgun. I don't like that it pauses the game and takes you to a separate screen just to switch ammo types. It's okay for strategizing before you attack but kind of a pain if you want to go to Plan B in mid-fight. But that's a minor complaint.

Early impressions = A
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

I got money I need to burn.
Stranger or Mercenaries?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Moicenaries!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Two AAA games. Flip a coin. You can't go wrong.
Mudfrost

Post by Mudfrost »

I haven't played Stranger but Mercenaries is amazing. Highly recommended.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've been playing Mercenaries and picked up Stranger this evening based on Rob's impressions and GameStop's video review. Based on what little I've played so far I think that Mercenaries is the better game and probably has a lot more replay value. Stranger is still pretty amazing though, especially the graphics which I think might be the best I have seen on the Xbox. The camera can be a little tricky at times and it appears to be very linear, but otherwise a definite thumbs up from me.