Yet another WoW ?......weapons training and other aspects

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

mathfed

Yet another WoW ?......weapons training and other aspects

Post by mathfed »

I have a level 14 gnome rogue that dual wields daggers. He is getting harder and harder to play in mobs. I have a gun in my inventory, but I need gun skill to use it. It would be very handy to stand back and pull baddies rather than trying to get close enough that only one attacks. In the manual, it says that new weapons are added by the class trainer. So, I spent 20 minutes running to a rogue trainer, but there is nothing about weapons that he teaches me. Can this only be done at a level-up or something? I'm not sure what I'm doing worng. I've been trying to add a gun ability to this character ever since I rolled him.
Sonofa!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok first you go to the weaponmaster. Each main city has one. The gun trainer is in Ironforge. Ask a guard for location and they will mark it on your minimap.

But more important rogues already have a ranged abilty to pull with. Its called throw. Buy some throwing daggers and pull with them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ericb

Post by ericb »

Weapons trainers are different from profession trainers. The following are the trainers and locations:

Alliance:
Darnassus - Bow, Fist
Stormwind - Sword, Crossbow
Ironforge - Gun, Mace, Fist

Horde:
Orgrimmar - Bow, Fist
Undercity - Sword, Crossbow
Thunderbluff - Gun, Mace

Each skill requires 10 silver to learn. Sword and mace are 1H only...rogues do not get 2H or shields. You will be slow with a gun or bow...maybe get 1 hit before they attack you up close. Still very useful for pulls though (except against casters).

EDIT: I forgot about throw but it's there. The primary reason a rogue uses a gun or bow over the knives is the attribute bonuses they can give.
RMC

Post by RMC »

You need a weapons trainer. I am sure that in the hall of warriors in Iron Forge there is a Guns trainer...

The rouge trainer will only train class skills....

Not sure where the Guns trainer is, but Mr. Fed just had a post where he ran to Iron Forge to get it..So I know it's there...

I guess the real question is can Rouge's learn guns?
mathfed

Post by mathfed »

Daehawk wrote:Ok first you go to the weaponmaster. Each main city has one. The gun trainer is in Ironforge. Ask a guard for location and they will mark it on your minimap.

But more important rogues already have a ranged abilty to pull with. Its called throw. Buy some throwing daggers and pull with them.
Call me dumb.....I knew about that and forgot. I have never used it. I guess I don't really need a gun. I have all of my combo moves added to hotkeys, but I haven't added dagger throwing. That's why I have never used it and forgot I had that ability. I'm sorta embarassed about this now.
Sonofa!
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

ericb wrote:Weapons trainers are different from profession trainers. The following are the trainers and locations:

Horde:
Orgrimmar - Bow, Fist
Thunderbluff - Gun, Mace
I've never played Alliance, but I know the Undercity guy trains Polearms too...
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Terrified wrote:
ericb wrote:Weapons trainers are different from profession trainers. The following are the trainers and locations:

Horde:
Orgrimmar - Bow, Fist
Thunderbluff - Gun, Mace
I've never played Alliance, but I know the Undercity guy trains Polearms too...
You can buy polearms training in Stormwind (not Ironforge), but it costs more than the regular ones (1gp instead of 10s).
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
ericb

Post by ericb »

The skills I listed above apply only to rogue training (based on the original post). Since polearms are 2H weapons the rogue can not learn them. If anyone needs to know then polearms for the Alliance are in Stormwind, min level 20 and cost 90s to 1g depending on reputation.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

ericb wrote:The skills I listed above apply only to rogue training (based on the original post). Since polearms are 2H weapons the rogue can not learn them. If anyone needs to know then polearms for the Alliance are in Stormwind, min level 20 and cost 90s to 1g depending on reputation.
Woops, you're right, I forgot I made a side trip to Stormwind to train that.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

Do you not get a throwing dagger skill? My NE rogue does.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Are there any polearms worth using? I trained my paladin in them, and I've only seen one. And I didn't win the roll for it.
ericb

Post by ericb »

infoghost wrote:Do you not get a throwing dagger skill? My NE rogue does.
All rogue's get this by default...you don't have to learn or train it from a trainer. Many forget about it though and never drag the thrown icon to use...it's not there by default.
mathfed

Post by mathfed »

Ok, here is another dumb question. I have been hesitant to put on any armor that binds. What does "binds" mean exactly? It makes me think of other RPG's where an item is cursed and you can't take it off. If I put on a piece of leather armor and it binds, how do I take it off?

One more question....

I'm new to MMORPG's. WoW is the first one I have ever played. What is the reasoning for having players travel sometimes huge distances to get back to their corpse if they die. This seems to be entirely annoying, and I don't see the gameplay mechanics that require this. Is it just to punish players for getting killed? Why can't I respawn right next to my corpse and just resurrect when the coast is clear?
Sonofa!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Once something is bound to you, you can't give it to anyone else. You can sell it to a vendor, but you can't give it away or auction it.

I wish the graveyards were closer sometimes too. I expect the main reason is if you group. If you could respawn right next to your corpse you could die and then immediately respawn before your party gets wiped out and keep helping. You would essentially be able to take out all mobs eventually I would think.
yossar

Post by yossar »

mathfed wrote:I'm new to MMORPG's. WoW is the first one I have ever played. What is the reasoning for having players travel sometimes huge distances to get back to their corpse if they die. This seems to be entirely annoying, and I don't see the gameplay mechanics that require this. Is it just to punish players for getting killed? Why can't I respawn right next to my corpse and just resurrect when the coast is clear?
It's just punishment for dying, and it isn't nearly as bad as some games. Apparently, a lot of people enjoy the increased tension that fear of death provides.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Since this is turning into a questions thread:

Why, when I am being rezzed, is there a delay sometimes? A 18 shammy rezzed me and the dialog box told me it was going to be 3 minutes. Why wasn't it immediate.

How do I know what weapons I can train in with my Shammy? He can learn sword, axe etc?

Looting: I still don't get how everyone seems to loot so damn quick. Krid (Wanderers warrior) told me he uses auto-loot and has good timing. It just seems like every group I am in its this mad rush to loot and I am always slow. I really really don't like that, but every group seems to want free for all looting.

Just as a side note/bitch: I am sooo sick of groups that don't know how to play their class, it often seems too much like Battlenet. I was in a group with 2 other healer classes but I was playing main healer. I died 3 times because the other healers didn't read my chat messages and told me it was too much work to watch my health/mana bar. UGH!
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Lee

Post by Lee »

yossar wrote:
mathfed wrote:I'm new to MMORPG's. WoW is the first one I have ever played. What is the reasoning for having players travel sometimes huge distances to get back to their corpse if they die. This seems to be entirely annoying, and I don't see the gameplay mechanics that require this. Is it just to punish players for getting killed? Why can't I respawn right next to my corpse and just resurrect when the coast is clear?
It's just punishment for dying, and it isn't nearly as bad as some games. Apparently, a lot of people enjoy the increased tension that fear of death provides.
That would be me. I still think their isn't near enough punishment for dying in WoW. Especially PvP. I kill someone and they are back 2 minutes later. I don't see how a battle could ever end with people just constantly recycling back after a death.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Lee wrote:Since this is turning into a questions thread:

Why, when I am being rezzed, is there a delay sometimes? A 18 shammy rezzed me and the dialog box told me it was going to be 3 minutes. Why wasn't it immediate.
As you said below, it's a punishment for dying and to keep the battles a little bit sensible. If you were back into the thick of things immediately after being rezzed then the worry about losing the battle is reduced - as long as the character that can rez is alive, everyone else can go full offensive and not worry about dying as they can essentially die without penalty.