WoW (what else) - stockades question

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jeff Jones

WoW (what else) - stockades question

Post by Jeff Jones »

I was looking to go into the stockades ... but I want to be sure I'm ready this time. When doing Van Cleef (instance), there was what i'd call a "main" quest for it ... "bring me his head" kinda thing. Does the stockades have a 'main quest'?

What are all known Stockades quests?

So far, I have

Crime & Punishment

Color of Blood

Quell the Uprising

Any i'm missing, or anything else I should know? And where to find them? It's hard to use thottbot for this, since they're spread out, and i don't know the names of them.

thanks
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

There's a quest from Dun Modr in the Wetlands to bring the dwarves there the head of a guy in the Stockades (you get it after doing one of the Dark Iron killing quests). That's how I found the Stockades, though I ended up with a couple of other quests when I got there.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
gellar

Post by gellar »

OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive got 5 or 6 for there and am lvls 25-30...its best to go in above lvl 28 because its really a 30+ dungeon. As far as i know there are 2 or 3 heads to collect in there...not sure what else.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

thanks for the replies. Finished it tonight, and raked in about 12,000 xp's and a good bit of gold and loot. It was a lot of fun :)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I would like to throw in a n00b question here rather than start another thread.

How does a warrior taunt a creature, i.e. pull it toward him? Can this be done? I have tried typing /taunt in chat and he does the little "chicken" animation but there seems no other effect. Maybe I'm not close enough, or is there some other command?

Also what is the basic group dynamic for "managing aggro"? Tank goes in and gets a few mobs to beat on him while spellcasters heal him and zap the mobs?
Toe

Post by Toe »

bluefugue wrote:How does a warrior taunt a creature, i.e. pull it toward him? Can this be done? I have tried typing /taunt in chat and he does the little "chicken" animation but there seems no other effect. Maybe I'm not close enough, or is there some other command?
I am sorry, but...LOL! The vision i get in my head of warrior doing the chicken taunt emote over and over again, tryin to taunt just cracks me up. I can see the group now: "Come on warrior, taunt these mobs please.". Warrior: "I am taunting you fool!" ~does chicken emote some more~. Heheh.

Ok, now I can move on and help you out. Taunt is a skill you get at level 10. So it has a button in your skill book like your other skills. I think you need to get Defensive stance before you get taunt though. You get that from a quest at your warrior trainer at level 10.

So, you need to switch to defensive stance and put the Taunt button on your hot bar.

When you use your taunt skill on a mob (and it is not resisted), at that instant you will have more agro than anyone else (with that particular mob). So it will start attacking you. But be aware that is only just a tiny bit more agro than the person that had it previously. For example. If a priest healed you and got agro, then you go over and taunt it, you will get agro. But if the priest heals again immediately (before you generate more agro through normal combat), the mob will jump back over on him.

Since Taunt does have a cool-down period you simply can not "spam it" all the time. You need to use it only when you need to draw a mob off a weak party member and you need to follow the Taunt with other agro-producing abilities should you have the rage to do so, like Sunder Armor.
bluefugue wrote: Also what is the basic group dynamic for "managing aggro"? Tank goes in and gets a few mobs to beat on him while spellcasters heal him and zap the mobs?
Yeah, thats the basics, but you will find its really more complex than it seems on the surface. A good tank has to work to maintain agro on multiple mobs and a good healer or mage has to work at not causing too much agro healing or nuking.
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

bluefugue wrote:I would like to throw in a n00b question here rather than start another thread.

How does a warrior taunt a creature, i.e. pull it toward him? Can this be done? I have tried typing /taunt in chat and he does the little "chicken" animation but there seems no other effect. Maybe I'm not close enough, or is there some other command?

Also what is the basic group dynamic for "managing aggro"? Tank goes in and gets a few mobs to beat on him while spellcasters heal him and zap the mobs?
Actually I think it depends on which members you do have.
Me as a warlock is a bit in between a pure caster and the rest.
I need to aggro 1-2 mobs from the rest and then I can curse the hell out of them + pet damage + wand or shadowball action.
However when I grouped yesterday with some peeps coming along and going into some cave to kill I was toasted because they went in, drew the mobs and they overran us.
I also think Blizz programed them to attack the casters first because they were on me in seconds...

In a classical group I think I could send in my pet (Voidwalker) as additional tank, put curses on all mobs and do some damage with shadowballs + life drain + wand but I wasn't in a good working group yet.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Intruder wrote: I also think Blizz programed them to attack the casters first because they were on me in seconds...
You had to have done something to get their agro. If you take no action on a mob (or heal/buff your groupmates that have agro) you will not get agro at all. Mobs only go after who is on the top of their hate list (i.e. the one who has generated the most agro). Casters do not get any extra agro above and beyond what they create with their spells.
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

Toe wrote:
Intruder wrote: I also think Blizz programed them to attack the casters first because they were on me in seconds...
You had to have done something to get their agro. If you take no action on a mob (or heal/buff your groupmates that have agro) you will not get agro at all. Mobs only go after who is on the top of their hate list (i.e. the one who has generated the most agro). Casters do not get any extra agro above and beyond what they create with their spells.
Are you sure about this?
I had another unfortunate encounter with the Orcs in the Wetlands that were 6-7 level more than me. We went in to concentrate on one of them together and once hell broke loose by aggro more than one I was attacked by both although the other peeps send everything they had their way.

In an human encounter I would concentrate first on the healers, then casters incl. warlocks (ignoring the pets) and then the tanks.
Sounds logical to me.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I think the mobs will agro lower levels first. If you are 4 or 5 levels lower than the puller, it may run right by the puller and nail the you.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Austin wrote:I think the mobs will agro lower levels first. If you are 4 or 5 levels lower than the puller, it may run right by the puller and nail the you.
Yeah. The lower level you are compared to the mob, the farther away they will detect (and therefore agro) you.

That is just proximity agro though and is the lowest type of agro possible. Any action taken against the mob will generate more agro than proximity agro. So one hit from a warrior, one heal from a priest, etc, will take it off you.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Make sure you go to the Magistrate in Darkshore and get the "hand of dextren ward" quest. He's the main guy in the stockades.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

HAMHOCK IN TROUBLE!!! HAMHOCK NEED HELP!!!

God I ran that instance so many times in beta. Short, decent loot, fun.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

KiloOhm wrote:Make sure you go to the Magistrate in Darkshore and get the "hand of dextren ward" quest. He's the main guy in the stockades.
I got the same quest in Lakeshire (RedRidge).

Btw, Feign Death (for Hunters) is great! I got this at L30, and it kept me alive in the stockades, when everyone else in the party died. When fighting Dextren, a guy got feared into an adjacent room and brought back with him about 8 more bad guys. The party got slaughtered, but I used Feign Death, and the enemies literally walked right over me. Pretty cool :)