Civ 4 by Take Two????

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

nameless77

Civ 4 by Take Two????

Post by nameless77 »

So will this have any impact on this game?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050126/265227_1.html

Post by Asharak »

No.

From that, Civ 4 will still be developed by Meier & Co at Firaxis. Take 2 will be publishing the game, however.

So the impact is likely to be on the manual size and how draconian they are about deadlines. The actual game should be unaffected.

- Ash
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

FWIW, Take 2 also published Dawn of War... I was generally pleased with their performance.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Atari (along with Quicksilver) ruined MOO3 so I'm happy they are not publishing Civ 4.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Elmo wrote:Atari (along with Quicksilver) ruined MOO3 so I'm happy they are not publishing Civ 4.
Thanks. I'd almost pushed the traumatic memory of "Master of Spreadsheets" out of my head, but you HAD to go and bring all the bad thoughts flooding back in, didn't ya?
He won. Period.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

:P
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Elmo wrote:Atari (along with Quicksilver) ruined MOO3 so I'm happy they are not publishing Civ 4.
Actually, I think the blame should be placed upon Quicksilver, not Atari. I think what Atari did was try to salvage a bad sitution but the game was too far gone to fix.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Well there is certainly plenty of blame to go around.

The design by Quicksilver was flawed (the idea of the player not really being in control is my take on it) and their development effort never worked either as they appear to have just thrown the kitchen sink into the game.

So Atari stepped in and cleaned house to get it out the door. My beef with them is they knew they were selling a half finsihed mess but rather than stay the course and support their paying customers they just cut their losses and ran after an ineffective patch or two.

I'm playing Civ3 now PBEM and will probably get Civ4 now that Atari is not publishing it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This is a topic for Unreleased Games.

Moving...

~Neal
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Civ 4 just moved to the top of my "Must have" games list. Hopefully Firaxis wont dumb the game down too much.

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Better Take 2 than a behemoth like Atari or Microsoft. I expect they're smart enough to give Sid & Co. a very long leash. And Firaxis is professional enough not to need it. The game engine is already finished and the core game is playable. They have most of this year for tweaking rules, refining the interface, playbalancing, and creating content. That, my friends, is how games SHOULD be made.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Ironrod wrote:Better Take 2 than a behemoth like Atari or Microsoft. I expect they're smart enough to give Sid & Co. a very long leash. And Firaxis is professional enough not to need it. The game engine is already finished and the core game is playable. They have most of this year for tweaking rules, refining the interface, playbalancing, and creating content. That, my friends, is how games SHOULD be made.
Then it's about damn time that Sid and Firaxis learned the lesson. ;)

Seriously 3 was a mess and didn't deliver the final final product until you purchased the second expansion. They got most of the game working fine. But, in particular, I'm referring to the MP which was horrific in PtW and never adequately patched unless you bought Conquests.

I will wait until there is a serious discount on 4 before giving him my money (but I am not naive enough to think that I won't acquiesce eventually, damn him).
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.