[AAR] Hearts of Iron 2 - Poland '36 [56k warning]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SirReal
Technical Admin

[AAR] Hearts of Iron 2 - Poland '36 [56k warning]

Post by SirReal »

My first attempt at an AAR. My second game of HoI2, playing Poland on Normal/Normal AI, Road to War.

Strategic plan for 1936:
- Boost industry in order to get the third research slot at 40 base IC.
- Balance resources to support that level of production (if possible)
- Start building fortifications on the western front

The first year goes as planned, although I'm having trouble feeding my factories. The third research slot will certainly come in handy, though. I've split out my cavalry into it's own task force. I'm not upgrading any forces.

Research during '36 have been aiming to improving my industrial efficiency and I'm trying to get Advanced Construction to speed up land fortifications.

Initial setup:

In february '37, I've the resources pretty well balanced. I'm trading away supplies for what I need. I don't know why I can get such a good deal on supplies, but hey, if it works I'll use it.

In July '37, I get a nasty surprise. I finish my Advanced construction techniques, but aaAAargh!! They're not applicable to the forts already under construction! That means I've wasted... more IC than I care to count. If I start a new fort NOW, it'll be finished before the ones already under construction for five months will be done. That. Sucks. So. Bad.

November 37, and I'm admitted into the Allies. Hopefully, they'll throw some bones my way, but I'm not holding my breath. I've completed 10 of my 16 AA sites (2 runs of 8 AA each) and as soon as I've got '39 infantry researched, I'm going to start producing them for all I'm worth.

February 1938. My initial battle plan will be to have three strongpoints to the west to slow the Germans down, attack Elbing and then Königsberg to clear that threat quickly.

26 March 1938. Germany annexes Austria.

August 1938. I've started production of my main force, 12 divisions of 1939 infantry. Two runs of 6 divisions each, to be completed in August 1939.

15 March 1939. Slovakia allies with Germany. The AI obviously wants to flank my fortifications to the south, and this will give it the means to do so. Not good. Not good at all. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put some fortifications there in time. On the flip side, two of the three strongpoints are completed within the month.

21 August 1939. Except for two forts, all the preparations for war are complete. Or at least done as much as I have time to do. Less those months wasted building forts before I got Advanced Construction. That IC just might make the difference.

30 August 1939. Danzig or War. War it is:

Bydgoszcz falls immediately, with Cracow a day later. My counterattack into Bydgoszcz seem to be going well, however, with both the adjacent strongpoints supporting the attack. Retaking Cracow, which will shortly be home to 30 german and slovakian divisions, could prove troublesome.

3 September 1939. Disaster strikes. Manstein with 17 divisions force themselves into Bydgoszcz, and then north to the cut off Danzig, annihilating the five divisions there. This is looking grim. Southern front is breaking up as well. The central strongpoint (which turns out to be a misnomer, since the germans are running over them like minor speedbumps) will soon have to be abandoned.

5 September 1939. My beauuutiful defense failed to survive contact with reality, and I'm falling back on all fronts. Hopefully I'll be able to regroup behind the Vistula.

12 September 1939. A week later, Elbing has changed hands five times. von Manstein will attack across the Vistula with 15 divisions and win; then my counterattack will push him back again. Unfortunately, he is not the one being flanked. I'm abandoning the thought of holding on to Przemysl; I don't have enough troops to hold the entire line.

15 September. My troops are now too disorganized to retake Elbing, and instead I order them to fall back towards Warsaw. Nine divisions of fresh '39 infantry covers their retreat.

20 September. The Polish army is now all scrunched up around Warzaw. The end may be near, and the weather still favors the attackers with clear skies and dry ground.

3 October. Lublin falls. We will make our last stand in Warsaw.

17 October. We're all surrounded now. It's a toss up what will kill us first; starvation or the germans. Still, the weather is clear and the ground is dry.

24 December. Happy christmas from Free Radio Warsaw! We're still here, and although it might be because Hitler can't find his own arse with both hands, we're not complaining. All 54 divisions have dug in deeply, and two of them have been equipped with the new 75mm AT-guns. The storerooms are full of supplies, and we should be able to hold out for months, if the germans will let us.

3 March, 1940. The germans just declared war on the Danes. They're still just sitting in a ring around Warsaw, doing nothing. In a few weeks, the new production methods of the COP design team will allow us to produce as much supplies as we consume, effectively giving us enough supplies to last us the war out.

3 May 1940. And now the Belgians got the wehrmacht on them, too. If they keep this up, I might be able to break out in a few months.

25 June 1940. The supply line design is finally complete. Not only can I now produce all needed supplies without going to the stores, but I even have half an IC over. Woo! Also in the news, the french have advanced as far north as Hannover. It seems the wehrmacht has bitten off more than it can chew!

30 February 1941. The russkis just declared war on the germans! Who'd a believed it, that the Red Menace would voluonteer to be our liberators? Or perhaps they'll declare war on us right before they reach Warsaw...

February 1942. A year later, the polish army execute a daring winter offensive, and manage to drive south to the hungarian border. Unfortunately, the northern drive, meant to cut the german forces in half, fails. The russkis will have to fight a supplied enemy for a while yet.

June 1942. Come summer, it's time for another breakout try. After some skillful maneuvering by the polish cavalry (and russian help) we've managed to isolate two german divisions in Lwow. Time to kill some fascists!
ImageImage

The attack is successful, and now the entire southeast of poland is free again! But for how long? No time to ponder, time to use this advantage while it lasts! Mercilessly driving his horses, the polish general drives towards slovakia, and one month later, takes their capital! Sloviakia is ours!

Why stop at Slovakia? Gripped with megalomania, the Polish high command decides to try for a gamble. With the wehrmacht engaged on both west, east and middle fronts, have they left anyone to guard Berlin?

The world is stunned! As pictures of the polish cavalry looting the Reichstag reaches the world, the polish high command breaks out the champagne! Even if those brave troops should fail to make it back, taking all of Germanys resource stockpiles have struck a gigantic, perhaps fatal, blow to the fascist war machine. Without energy, steel and rare materials, their factories will now run idle!

August 24, 1942. Idle factories or not, it's time to get the hell outta dodge. While general Sosnkowski and his horses were sitting in Berlin, the rest of the polish army took opportunity to strike wherever the wehrmacht wasn't, and where it was weak. The germans east front is cut off... for now.

During the following two months, the germans and polish armies maneuver to cut each other off, but with no replacements forthcoming and the allies pressing hard from the west, the wehrmacht has a hard time even against the ill-equipped polish troops. Late october Field Marshal Himmler with seventeen divisions surrender themselves in Wilno, freeing the entire east Poland. Berlin is retaken, and one of the few remaining panzer divisions active in Poland is about to be cut off.

The wehrmacht is now broken. The war turns into a race between France and Poland to see which gets the biggest pieces of the fallen Reich.

Christmas Eve 1942. Poland formally annexes germany.

This ends this AAR. I'll let the game run to it's end, but I expect the action to be over now.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Eek!

You'll want to take Prussia ASAP to clear that northern front and get them at least back into Memel. Otherwise its not too good to keep troops stationed in Danzig as i've found, they are way too vulnerable to a complete encirclement in most situations and the strategic importance of the port is negligiable in the grand scheme of things.

As well historically the Poles made their stand too far west along the kind of lines you've got currently and the Germans made them pay for that, as is after doing this last night i'd have constructed my forts behind the Vistula and particularly along the Slovakian border. Since the Poles are going to be outnumbered the entire campaign you need to maximize your defense at every opportunity. Which it seems can't be done at the initial border.

Good AAR though.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

CSL wrote:Eek!

You'll want to take Prussia ASAP to clear that northern front and get them at least back into Memel. Otherwise its not too good to keep troops stationed in Danzig as i've found, they are way too vulnerable to a complete encirclement in most situations and the strategic importance of the port is negligiable in the grand scheme of things.

As well historically the Poles made their stand too far west along the kind of lines you've got currently and the Germans made them pay for that, as is after doing this last night i'd have constructed my forts behind the Vistula and particularly along the Slovakian border. Since the Poles are going to be outnumbered the entire campaign you need to maximize your defense at every opportunity. Which it seems can't be done at the initial border.

Good AAR though.
Yah, Prussia has fallen, but that won't help me much now. I agree on the Vistula stand, those 50% efficiency penalties are too good to pass up on. I'm thinking I should cede Danzig to buy more time, as well.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Yup, no way you should risk trying to fight for Bygdoszcz--it's just way too likely you'll end up with troops retreating to Danzig, where they'll be encircled and eliminated. That southern flank can be devastating too--the Jerrys can take Cracow and then come northeast without having to cross any rivers and strike at Warsaw.

Good AAR! Fun read
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

I love these AARs, i just wish i could wrap my head around this game and actualy play it. When i start a new game i just kinda stare at the monitor with this blank look on my face. I really wish they had included some small practice maps so i could get my feet wet and be ready for that HUGE map they show me when i start a new game.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Was Patton a little overly emphatic when he said "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man"? Can I ask why you went with the fortifications? I have no clue about the +/- there.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The Preacher wrote:Was Patton a little overly emphatic when he said "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man"? Can I ask why you went with the fortifications? I have no clue about the +/- there.
A little maybe, but there's definitely truth there, at least in HOI2 terms.

Fortifications are formidable defensive obstacles for an attacking army to overcome. That said, in HOI2 as in real life, they're static, and if you can go around or over them, they're useless. They are effective though--For the French, they sure keep the Germans from coming straight across into Alsace-Lorraine, and force them into a historical attack of coming through the Netherlands and Belgium. For the Germans, they keep the French out of the Rhineland while you dispatch Poland.

For poorer, "minor" countries, fortifications are about all you can build. In the case of this AAR, the main thing that I'm sure Sir would do with this experience under his belt would be to build forts behind and along the Vistula. Units also take a penalty to attacks and moves across rivers, and in this case that's about all you can hope for.

A couple of things about HOI2 forts--they give a bonus to the defense of occupying units, but units also get an "entrenchment" bonus on top of that fort bonus. Units that stand still over the course of a couple of weeks build a bonus of 20% for their entrenchments. Thus, you lose a lot of the effectiveness of your fortifications if you're moving around.

I guess in conclusion--there are a time and a place for forts. If you're a minor in close contact with hostile nations, you almost have to build them. If you're a major, you can build them, but relying on them as your sole strategy in time of war (like the French historically) is a bad, bad plan.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

As it turns out, this game has become a hands-off game. I'm all bottled up, but the AI can't seem to get up the nerve to assault, and since I put a lot of effort into Industrial tech, the factories of Warsaw are capable of sustaining that stack of 54 divisions. Until 1948, when I run out of metal. But then, that's when the game ends anyway.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Well, that's the end of that one. Unless the Soviet Union decides to declare war on the Allies, I don't see much more action happening.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

AttAdude wrote:I love these AARs, i just wish i could wrap my head around this game and actualy play it. When i start a new game i just kinda stare at the monitor with this blank look on my face. I really wish they had included some small practice maps so i could get my feet wet and be ready for that HUGE map they show me when i start a new game.
I'm still messing with the tutorials off and on so I'm not really in a position to know what I'm talking about, but I saw you post this in another thread and my understanding is that you're mistaken. For those with more experience than I, aren't there small battle scenarios for Attadude to get his feet wet?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

rrmorton wrote:For those with more experience than I, aren't there small battle scenarios for Attadude to get his feet wet?
Yes, but those scenarios don't require you do much, if anything, with the economic/diplomatic/scientific aspects of the game. And those, taken together, are as big a part of the game - if not larger - than the combat.

I have something of the same problem Attadude does. I've played a few of those scenarios, and I'm now very comfortable with the interface and combat manuevers, etc. But I still get a "WTF do I do now?" feeling when I load up one of the grand campaigns: there's no fighting to do, and a ton of stuff that I have no experience with. Should I build units? Forts? Trade for money to pay my scientists? Etc...

- Ash
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

triggercut wrote:
The Preacher wrote:Was Patton a little overly emphatic when he said "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man"? Can I ask why you went with the fortifications? I have no clue about the +/- there.
A little maybe, but there's definitely truth there, at least in HOI2 terms.

Fortifications are formidable defensive obstacles for an attacking army to overcome. That said, in HOI2 as in real life, they're static, and if you can go around or over them, they're useless. They are effective though--For the French, they sure keep the Germans from coming straight across into Alsace-Lorraine, and force them into a historical attack of coming through the Netherlands and Belgium.
They can also be helpful as Belgium, if you put them in line with the French fortifications, as I found out in one game. Although the Germans were finally able to break through one weaker province (after I changed the AI to most aggressive about a year or two after the war had started), the french and I were able to repel the Germans back, before they got very far.