2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Argh! I REALLY miss the Apogee model!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kasey Chang

Argh! I REALLY miss the Apogee model!

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was looking at River Raid II from TameStorm. What's with the shareware demo nowadays?!?!?!

The one you download directly off their site are limited to 16 sessions.

The one you download off CNET is limited to 3 levels (out of... 50?) That's less than 10% of the game!

Argh!

Why did Apogee go away any way?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Piracy?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Caine

Post by Caine »

why pay when you can replay the free over and over again. sure, you miss out on new levels, weapons, etc, but you also have play a significant part of what the game can offer for free.

and yes, piracy was a lot easier back then. the full game was just a different executable and very easy to pass around. a lot of the people i knew in high school passed games around during class with no distinction between shareware and full game.
Papa Smurph

Re: Argh! I REALLY miss the Apogee model!

Post by Papa Smurph »

Kasey Chang wrote:Why did Apogee go away any way?
As Kasey is one of the most knowledgeable gamers evar, I'm sure he knows this. But, just in case he doesn't, I believe that Apogee eventually transformed into 3D Realms (at least the main people seem to be the same). Also, most of those Apogee games that I remember so fondly (Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, etc.) where actually made by a little company known as id. So, the name Apogee is gone, but the legacy lives on...
What the smurf are you smurfing at?!